Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wraith Cake View Post
    Wow!! I just posted yesterday (?) and already there are ten pages of conversation!! OMG!

What interesting responses about Shepard's character!! All of you seem to agree that Shepard is capable of varying degrees of compassion(some of you believe he has a very very VERY limited ability)--many of you believe it is limited to a small circle of people he keeps tightly around him. These people come from all sorts of backgrounds (black, white, replicator, nerdy/geeky etc.)

So I guess the logical conclusion is that Shepard is not prejudice (skin colour/ethnic/racial background) and he is not "incapable" of forgiveness.

So, the next conclusion would be that Shepard is not prejudice against the wraith because they are green, have pointy teeth, cat eyes etc. In other words, his prejudice is not about the way they look.

Also if we say, as many of you have said, that Shepard is capable of forgiveness--though it is limited to a few people--we could therefore say he is "capable" of forgiveness.

So let us apply this to the wraith. If Shepard is capable of forgiveness (most wraith he would kill on sight, but Todd he does not), do you think he is "capable" of forgiving Todd because he is a wraith?

Is there something else Shepard has a problem with regarding Todd, that goes beyond Todd's ethnicity?

What is it that Shepard has a problem with?

Is it only that Todd needs to feed?

Shepard did after all "feed" Todd in Millers Crossing yet still managed to have a "good" working relationship with him--went on to have an even "closer" working relationship with him. So the question I have is, it really just Todd's need to feed that bothers Shepard?

Did he not have a greater problem with Todd after the First Contact episodes.

What *exactly* is Shepard's problem with Todd?

Any thoughts?

WK
    I would say Shepard is not prejudice as far as humans goes - I seem to recall when he was on the Deadelus and they had an Asgard - Hermiat - I think - he seemed uncomfortable and kept staring at him so whether he hasn't come to terms with other intelligent creatures other than humans maybe part of his problem. Then Todd who comes along, has fed on him, has probably sensed some of his memories, then gave him the gift of life, and has called him his brother, this has probably given Shepard more 3rd kind encounters than he ever wanted. He probably feels a kindred for Todd, but is in denial, doesn't want to admit that acknowledge this, because if he does then he has to allow Todd into his inner circle of friends, and he knows how some of them feel about the wraith.

I think Shepard likes things black and white, enemy or friend, no gray areas, no overlap, and with Todd it is an overlap of enemy and friend.

It also probably doesn't help when his father wanted him to go into the family business, wasn't understanding when he went into the military and wouldn't talk to him, like his family being cut right off, and then Todd coming along and calling him brother.

I would say he is very angry, unsure of himself when it comes to relationships, and does not want to get hurt like he has in the past.

Anyway this is my take on it.
    I came, I saw, I conquered!
    sigpic
    We are unique! Created unique!
    Sevenofnine

Comment

Hi everybody just wanted to wish all my fellow Wraith Defenders a merry Christmas & happy new year.

Comment

Last edited by BlueJay; 24 December 2008, 02:01 AM.
        sigpic
        FOR MY HIVE AND MY HIVE ALONE

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
          Ah, regarding JM's videos, has anybody watched the behind-the-scenes one of "Infection"? I can't see it and I was wondering if it was interesting for wraith and Todd fans?
          Nah, it's nothing. Just the part with the melting wall...no Todd or anything, just a bunch of guys standing around.

So, no worries, you're not missing anything.

das
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wraithlord View Post
            Hi everybody just wanted to wish all my fellow Wraith Defenders a merry Christmas & happy new year.
            Originally posted by BlueJay View Post
            "A Merry Christmas and many pressies for my fellow Wraith Defenders"
            sigpic
            Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
            Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Merry Christmas everyone. Will now go back to dreaming of getting a gift wrapped Erik.tomorrow morning.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sevenofnine View Post
                I would say Shepard is not prejudice as far as humans goes - I seem to recall when he was on the Deadelus and they had an Asgard - Hermiat - I think - he seemed uncomfortable and kept staring at him so whether he hasn't come to terms with other intelligent creatures other than humans maybe part of his problem. Then Todd who comes along, has fed on him, has probably sensed some of his memories, then gave him the gift of life, and has called him his brother, this has probably given Shepard more 3rd kind encounters than he ever wanted. He probably feels a kindred for Todd, but is in denial, doesn't want to admit that acknowledge this, because if he does then he has to allow Todd into his inner circle of friends, and he knows how some of them feel about the wraith.

I think Shepard likes things black and white, enemy or friend, no gray areas, no overlap, and with Todd it is an overlap of enemy and friend.

It also probably doesn't help when his father wanted him to go into the family business, wasn't understanding when he went into the military and wouldn't talk to him, like his family being cut right off, and then Todd coming along and calling him brother.

I would say he is very angry, unsure of himself when it comes to relationships, and does not want to get hurt like he has in the past.

Anyway this is my take on it.
                Interesting. Shepard has definitely kept himself at arms length. I don't think we have ever really seen a vulnerable side to Shepard except when he imagined Kolya cutting his arm off. I actually thought Shepard was a little interesting in the last three episodes.

WK
                "Ask NOT what you can do for your country...ask WHAT'S FOR LUNCH?" O. Wells

Comment

Interesting. Shepard has definitely kept himself at arms length. I don't think we have ever really seen a vulnerable side to Shepard except when he imagined Kolya cutting his arm off. I actually thought Shepard was a little interesting in the last three episodes.

WK
                  I think Sheppard has many interesting sides but not lately. I think he had the opportunity to establish and develop relationships with non-human sentient and he totally wasted them. The funny thing was he was the first to suggest an alliance with Todd but seldom treated him like a real partner.
                  Spoiler:
                  And the all "you don't wanna be enemies of Atlantis threat " in Identity made me puke.
                  He has all these breaks and impulses to bond with strangers, but he then holds back in distrust and makes me believe that no one non-human will ever get his respect. Sad, because he has made a lot of decisions based on shades of grey and seems he got lost in deep grey land. His motto seems to b : Defend Atlantis at all cost, no matter who gets harmed or killed, who's innocent and who is not. And they consider the Wraith the villains?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wraithlord View Post
                    Happy Holidays to you too!!!

Originally posted by Das
                    WK - You really ask a good question, and from where I sit there is no reason for Sheppard to feel the way he does about Todd, other than he hates Wraith in general, and is begrudgingly showing him a certain amount of respect because he knows Todd has done right by him as much as a Wraith can for a human. I will think about this some more, and see what other thoughts I can come up with.
                    Merry Christmas Das!!!

IknowIknow, I will most definitely be in the minority here, so please forgive me in advance everyone, but I honestly (if it were even possible) could care less about chatting with actors who play certain characters. There are only two reasons why I would have a conversation with an actor 1) I am very impressed/interested in his/her work or I think he/she utterly void of anything interesting to say, and I am in a "teasing" mood. I would love to do a Q and A with Chris Heyerdahl, for instance simply because I have seen him in so many Canadian productions and I think his performances are nothing short of genius. I completely dislike attention paid to actors who have little more to offer than pouty lips and acne free skin. There are absolutely outstanding performers out there who can awe an audience, memorize even, when stepping into a role. Unfortunately these actors do not often get the work. This says a great deal about the level of titillation audiences want and Hollywood cashes in on. I seriously doubt C.H. works full time as an actor--he may now, but it has been a long haul for him--don't you think this is a crime? Such a talented actor???

However, whatshername who had a Q/A on JM's blog would have her mammaries on display whenever she had the chance and had little to offer in terms of intelligent answers. I would love to boot Hollywood clutter to the moon and have performers such as C.H. have a career.

The second reason I would chat up an actor is to ask him out for a cuppa joe. Local actors who have no illusion about the industry would usually have been my target, for instance James Lafazanos. He's a local actor (Toronto/Vancouver) that I would have had no problem asking out for a cup of coffee--whether he would come or not is another question.

I haven't seen enough of Tyler's work to really have any interesting question to ask him. I'm sure he's a lovely person, but what do I have to ask him? Do you go to the local cos-play party after work--dressed head to toe in black leather?

Originally posted by Fandom Addict

Merry Christmas!
                    Have a fabulous and restful holiday!

@ Blue Jay

Cutie Pookie!!! Merry Christmas!

Love you all

WK

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
                      I think Sheppard has many interesting sides but not lately. I think he had the opportunity to establish and develop relationships with non-human sentient and he totally wasted them. The funny thing was he was the first to suggest an alliance with Todd but seldom treated him like a real partner.
                      Spoiler:
                      And the all "you don't wanna be enemies of Atlantis threat " in Identity made me puke.
                      He has all these breaks and impulses to bond with strangers, but he then holds back in distrust and makes me believe that no one non-human will ever get his respect. Sad, because he has made a lot of decisions based on shades of grey and seems he got lost in deep grey land. His motto seems to b : Defend Atlantis at all cost, no matter who gets harmed or killed, who's innocent and who is not. And they consider the Wraith the villains?
                      Forgive me, forgive me
                      Spoiler:
                      but this is such an hegemonic statement (and which nation does Atlantis represent? )--it really doesn't surprise me when the Lantians say this. "We're the bullies--Yea!", "We're Sooooo PATRIOTIC Yea!" "Atlantis, Yea!!". I almost wished someone had thrown a shoe at Shepard when he said this.

WK

Comment

Forgive me, forgive me
                        Spoiler:
                        but this is such an hegemonic statement (and which nation does Atlantis represent? )--it really doesn't surprise me when the Lantians say this. "We're the bullies--Yea!", "We're Sooooo PATRIOTIC Yea!" "Atlantis, Yea!!". I almost wished someone had thrown a shoe at Shepard when he said this.
                        WK
                        Spoiler:
                        As for the mentality, it reminded me of a certain faction of a certain nation. And I threw mentally several shoes, bigger than size 10. And smelly. I'd like to see Shep duck those.
                        sigpic

Comment

Happy Holidays to you too!!!

Merry Christmas Das!!!

IknowIknow, I will most definitely be in the minority here, so please forgive me in advance everyone, but I honestly (if it were even possible) could care less about chatting with actors who play certain characters. There are only two reasons why I would have a conversation with an actor 1) I am very impressed/interested in his/her work or I think he/she utterly void of anything interesting to say, and I am in a "teasing" mood. I would love to do a Q and A with Chris Heyerdahl, for instance simply because I have seen him in so many Canadian productions and I think his performances are nothing short of genius. I completely dislike attention paid to actors who have little more to offer than pouty lips and acne free skin. There are absolutely outstanding performers out there who can awe an audience, memorize even, when stepping into a role. Unfortunately these actors do not often get the work. This says a great deal about the level of titillation audiences want and Hollywood cashes in on. I seriously doubt C.H. works full time as an actor--he may now, but it has been a long haul for him--don't you think this is a crime? Such a talented actor???

However, whatshername who had a Q/A on JM's blog would have her mammaries on display whenever she had the chance and had little to offer in terms of intelligent answers. I would love to boot Hollywood clutter to the moon and have performers such as C.H. have a career.

The second reason I would chat up an actor is to ask him out for a cuppa joe. Local actors who have no illusion about the industry would usually have been my target, for instance James Lafazanos. He's a local actor (Toronto/Vancouver) that I would have had no problem asking out for a cup of coffee--whether he would come or not is another question.

I haven't seen enough of Tyler's work to really have any interesting question to ask him. I'm sure he's a lovely person, but what do I have to ask him? Do you go to the local cos-play party after work--dressed head to toe in black leather?

WK
                          Yup, you are in the minority, luv.

Tyler was nice enough to stop by and wish us happy holidays...he didn't have to do that - he didn't have to interact with his fans at all. It was very nice of him, and I would welcome any actor who joined us, just like I welcome all new non-actors who come here to chat. All are welcome, regardless of what they do for a living. It's just a nice perk that Tyler knows what it's like to be sequestered under a rubber Wraith mask for 12 hours a day.

das
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                            Tyler was nice enough to stop by and wish us happy holidays...he didn't have to do that - he didn't have to interact with his fans at all. It was very nice of him, and I would welcome any actor who joined us, just like I welcome all new non-actors who come here to chat. All are welcome, regardless of what they do for a living.
                            I wasn't on at the time but I thought it was very nice of him to call in for a while.

It's just a nice perk that Tyler knows what it's like to be sequestered under a rubber Wraith mask for 12 hours a day.
                            I find that kind of information very interesting.
                            sigpic

Comment

Nope - In Jersey...I just stay up late.

Of course, if Chris did pop in here, I'd simply die of embarrassment. I've been kinder to Tyler (translation: I've tried not to be as pervy about his Wraith characters) because I know he has been around, and I wouldn't want to creep him out too much. I mean - if guys wanna know what girls REALLY talk about - well...this is it. I think in a way we're worse than guys talking about big boobies. But I've just assumed that Chris is too laid back to bother with the net, so I've never considered that he'd even lurk here.

das
                              You must either go to work late in the am or require little sleep. LOL If Chris ever showed up, I 'd probably die. I wouldn't be able to get a single word out.

Maybe you can contact him through this site: http://tylermcclendon.com/index.php

There is a place to leave your information - I guess it would be a good place to start. I think you can get it through IMDb, but you have to pay for the advanced membership.

das
                              Thanks!!

The Writers.

das

Boy...it's not quite as exciting around these parts when Tyler's not here, eh?

Hope all is well with everyone!

Laura Dove - I got your message - will check it out tomorrow! I went to bed about 8 tonight, considering I went to bed at almost 4 am last night/this morning. Woke up at 11...read your pm, but I don't want to wake up TOO much right now - I really need to go back to bed.
                              Nite, all!

das
                              I was out of it all day yesterday after staying up so late. I'm just getting too old for that kind of thing. LOL

Originally posted by leksa View Post

Ahh, I have no clue where the Sanctuary is actually filmed, but perhaps you would like to know that LA is just down the hill from the place where I live.
                              Care to visit me?
                              Sounds good to me, Leksa!! Really though this time of year I'd rather be on the 80 F beach down in Sarasota, FL. (When I win the lottery!)

Originally posted by BlueJay View Post

Hey, I love this!!! Kitty Claus!! Excellent Blue Jay!

I hope everyone has or has had a wonderful holiday. If you don't celebrate any holiday around this time, I hope you have a wonderful time too.
                              sigpic
                              Siggie created by TP//Avatar by Draco-Stellaris

Comment

Alright, iv been far behind. My laptop got fried a week ago Monday and I have been quite lost with out it. ( laptop vs blended, soupy dog food: dog food won) Needless to say I have a lot of catching up to do.

Once again I missed Tubbs! (#$^0) thanks for stopping by and taking the time to answer questions. Hope to see ya in the future.

Happy holidays to all
                                Happy BDay to those iv missed, Happy anniversary WK, awesome siggies, great discussions, Craig- glad you feel better.

Take care all

masterling
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X