Elizabeth Weir/Torri Higginson WOW Thread - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
    Oh thank you hehe.. I didn't know this site existed!

Oh btw, I think I posted twice. I didn't realize I hit "post" on my first attemp. I did a second post of the same thing with edits... hehe..

Anyway, serious talk. How is it "not" possible? We all know that television is all about popularity. If enough people like a character, they are kinda force to bring them back. Kinda like how they brought Dr. Beckett back to life. It's like how the hell? It's so ridiculous how they twisted the plot and all of a sudden "clone" Dr. Beckett is as good as the real Dr. Beckett. And his suppositely "clone" difficulties are all gone. They just continued to write him out like nothing ever happened? I mean I like Dr. Beckett. I'm glad they brought him back. So why can't they bring back Torri????

Oh I was searching thru this Gateworld site. And I only found a handful of Dr. Weir/Torri threads. See how unpopular her character was? But I don't understand why, there seems to be a lot of people that likes her and her character!
    I don't think she was unpopular--in fact, there was quite an uproar raised when Elizabeth was written out, same as Carson. The show fandom has never been the same after Season 3, for better or worse. But you have to remember it's been almost two years since the original broadcast of Weir's departure episodes, and many of the fans who were Weir fans have left, so there's not much activity in the Torri/Elizabeth threads.

Threads don't really speak to character popularity--if you notice, there aren't a ton of Carson threads, either, but he was a very popular character.

Much as Torri fans would LOVE to see her back, as Probie mentioned, the situation behind the scenes is difficult. A lot of things would have to happen for it to work, most particularly Torri and the producers agreeing. It just seems hard to imagine that happening at this point.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
      For the return of Torri is more complicated. There are probably a little conflict between them and her. We don't know the whole story but you can imagine that to be fired it is not fun.lol
      Perhaps most fans of SGA don't like her because Weir is not a character we used to see in Sci Fi. She doesn’t fight. She is a diplomat. I don’t understand too because it’s exactly what I like in her.
      errr, right? I mean seriously... What's wrong with them? I'm sure Torri have some hard feelings towards them. I think she probably thought she was doing a great job. I think the producer was trying to spike it up a bit because of people being all used to a "certain" kind of leader. But isn't that exactly why we liked Stargate franchise to begin with? That they dare to stand out and oppose the stereotype?

You're probably right about Weir not being a usual character in SciFi. But what does that matter? She played it well and she played it good. Then combined with her face..it was perfect. I like that she's diplomatic. And the fact that she played that part so well...so witty and slick.

Like she said in one of her old interviews. "How a character chooses to read a line, play a line makes that much difference." I'm not an actor, I wouldn't have a clue. But what she said really hit home. It make sense. It does matter how an actress chooses to read "a line."

And what's the ordeal about her being nominated as "supporting character?" Wasn't she the lead? Whose the lead character? Shepperd? McKay? Why does it have to be a male?

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
        I don't think she was unpopular--in fact, there was quite an uproar raised when Elizabeth was written out, same as Carson. The show fandom has never been the same after Season 3, for better or worse. But you have to remember it's been almost two years since the original broadcast of Weir's departure episodes, and many of the fans who were Weir fans have left, so there's not much activity in the Torri/Elizabeth threads.

Threads don't really speak to character popularity--if you notice, there aren't a ton of Carson threads, either, but he was a very popular character.

I see, thanks for your input. I didn't realize she was that popular. Kinda seem like she wasn't by looking thru the forum..lol And you're probably right, most of Torri's fan probably left. And the deal with Beckett, I don't mean to be sexist but I feel like maybe because he's a male. I have this whole controversy going on in my head about female not being able to be as strongas a character as male character. I mean, look at Sam Carter. She even said it herself that she wishes there were more leading role opportunities for her. And Weir, she's not even considered as "lead" character, she's only a supporting character. I mean come on now... Sam I can understand but Weir??? And also, does any of you watch Star Trek Voyager? Janeway was the first female captain and also last..what's up with that??

Any input on that?

Comment

errr, right? I mean seriously... What's wrong with them? I'm sure Torri have some hard feelings towards them. I think she probably thought she was doing a great job. I think the producer was trying to spike it up a bit because of people being all used to a "certain" kind of leader. But isn't that exactly why we liked Stargate franchise to begin with? That they dare to stand out and oppose the stereotype?

You're probably right about Weir not being a usual character in SciFi. But what does that matter? She played it well and she played it good. Then combined with her face..it was perfect. I like that she's diplomatic. And the fact that she played that part so well...so witty and slick.

Like she said in one of her old interviews. "How a character chooses to read a line, play a line makes that much difference." I'm not an actor, I wouldn't have a clue. But what she said really hit home. It make sense. It does matter how an actress chooses to read "a line."

And what's the ordeal about her being nominated as "supporting character?" Wasn't she the lead? Whose the lead character? Shepperd? McKay? Why does it have to be a male?
          I see, thanks for your input. I didn't realize she was that popular. Kinda seem like she wasn't by looking thru the forum..lol And you're probably right, most of Torri's fan probably left. And the deal with Beckett, I don't mean to be sexist but I feel like maybe because he's a male. I have this whole controversy going on in my head about female not being able to be as strongas a character as male character. I mean, look at Sam Carter. She even said it herself that she wishes there were more leading role opportunities for her. And Weir, she's not even considered as "lead" character, she's only a supporting character. I mean come on now... Sam I can understand but Weir??? And also, does any of you watch Star Trek Voyager? Janeway was the first female captain and also last..what's up with that??

Any input on that?
          I don’t know what‘s wrong with them. Maybe they don’t see what we see in Weir. I give you the link of one of her interviews.
          http://wraithfodder.livejournal.com/165589.html
          She explains how she reacted when they announced to her the news.
          She has done great things with the little that the authors gave to her. This shows that she is a great actress.

Most fans did not pay attention to Weir.
          Once she is gone, some fans of the SGA have realized that she brought something important to the show. Many have stopped watching SGA after the season 3 (not just because of the departure of Weir but for other reasons too).

And for the last part, I think most writers of SGA don’t know how to write for women characters. They have difficulties to write for Teyla, Sam, Weir although these 3 characters have potential.

oh...I like speak about this actress....
          sigpic
          Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
            Threads don't really speak to character popularity...
            1.5 threads for Kate Heightmeyer

Random info that you all should know about. Brought to you by her faithful Lemming.

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
              I don’t know what‘s wrong with them. Maybe they don’t see what we see in Weir. I give you the link of one of her interviews.
              http://wraithfodder.livejournal.com/165589.html
              She explains how she reacted when they announced to her the news.
              She has done great things with the little that the authors gave to her. This shows that she is a great actress.
              Oh interesting! Thanks Probie I didn't know about that interview. Wow so my skepticism was right. They are sexist. But why? By bringing in good female character, they can spike up ratings from all the female fans or even male fans who love strong women characters. I mean this is 20th century for crying out loud. Are we not through with the whole sexist card? I didn't think much of it honestly until I noticed it in Stargate franchise and Star Trek franchise. Hell with that... I'm just sad that I'm 3 years too late... I just now found out about this! Errr....

Reading her interview kinda shock me. I did not notice at all that her character was not given much ways. I thought she played it so well.. Man that really says how professional and swift she is in bringing a "plain" character into color. That's crazy! Now I have even more appreciation and respect for her.

Poorly handle? Psh, I think they did it on purpose... It reminds me so much how jobs are out there. They don't tell you what's wrong along the way then bam! you're let go. It's like wth? She is right. It's all a political game. Honestly, if Amanda Tapping didn't get so popular...I don't think they'd ever put Sam to replace Weir. And Sam was smart to have left Atlantis! She got a gig that shows her potentials and best of all she's the lead! I checked out Sanctuary.. It wasn't bad Although, I don't know what's up with Amanda's accent. They should either work on her accent or just drop it..lol..

Anyway back to Weir. I admire a good actor/actress when I see one. And Weir was definitely one of them. And no I'm not sexist. I liked Jack O'Neil.. He really did glued the team together and after he left..I don't know, Mitchell really didn't do it for me. And definitely not Woolsey in Atlantis, hehehe...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                1.5 threads for Kate Heightmeyer

Random info that you all should know about. Brought to you by her faithful Lemming.

LOL, oh! her! I thought it was random how she died... lol

Comment

It's sad that Torri/Elizabeth wasn't given the screentime or storylines her character deserved... alas.. it lives on in FanFiction

Comment

Omg, this short film is so cool of Torri. "Soul My Soul" very cute. I wonder if you guys watched it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG7-ozRh3Gc

Comment

Originally posted by yunadax View Post
                      It's sad that Torri/Elizabeth wasn't given the screentime or storylines her character deserved... alas.. it lives on in FanFiction
                      Word. Fanfiction writers do it better.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Oh interesting! Thanks Probie I didn't know about that interview. Wow so my skepticism was right. They are sexist. But why? By bringing in good female character, they can spike up ratings from all the female fans or even male fans who love strong women characters. I mean this is 20th century for crying out loud. Are we not through with the whole sexist card? I didn't think much of it honestly until I noticed it in Stargate franchise and Star Trek franchise. Hell with that... I'm just sad that I'm 3 years too late... I just now found out about this! Errr....

Reading her interview kinda shock me. I did not notice at all that her character was not given much ways. I thought she played it so well.. Man that really says how professional and swift she is in bringing a "plain" character into color. That's crazy! Now I have even more appreciation and respect for her.

Poorly handle? Psh, I think they did it on purpose... It reminds me so much how jobs are out there. They don't tell you what's wrong along the way then bam! you're let go. It's like wth? She is right. It's all a political game. Honestly, if Amanda Tapping didn't get so popular...I don't think they'd ever put Sam to replace Weir. And Sam was smart to have left Atlantis! She got a gig that shows her potentials and best of all she's the lead! I checked out Sanctuary.. It wasn't bad Although, I don't know what's up with Amanda's accent. They should either work on her accent or just drop it..lol..

Anyway back to Weir. I admire a good actor/actress when I see one. And Weir was definitely one of them. And no I'm not sexist. I liked Jack O'Neil.. He really did glued the team together and after he left..I don't know, Mitchell really didn't do it for me. And definitely not Woolsey in Atlantis, hehehe...
                        It's so true. She doesn't "stick" to SGA. For me Sam=SG1. She was lost in SGA. She was not the real Sam. By the way, Sanctuary is great and Amanda Tapping is wonderful in it.

Yunadax/ SK Fortunately, there are good fanfics and good writers.

I almost forgot Carl Binder. He did a good job with Weir. It's the only one.
                        sigpic
                        Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          Word. Fanfiction writers do it better.
                          Well, maybe you all can help me with a problem I'm having. As someone who doesn't really read ship fic very often, I've been having a seriously hard time finding gen fic for Elizabeth that is of somewhat decent length. It doesn't even necessarily need to be about Elizabeth - it just would be nice if she played more than a cameo role in the story. I prefer gen fic, but the problem with gen fic is that most of it just focuses on the team four. So if anyone could point me to some good gen fic with Elizabeth, that would be great.
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                          sigpic

Comment

Another question - while I'm here. I know the mods haven't gotten around to dealing with the Elizabeth threads yet. But when they do, what would you all think about asking if this thread could be renamed something like The Elizabeth Weir/Torri Higginson WOW/Discussion/Appreciation thread?

The reason I ask that is because there really is no discussion/appreciation thread for Elizabeth right now, except for an open debate thread on the character, which I'm not really interested in reviving. There's been a few times I've wanted to discuss something about Elizabeth, but I wasn't sure where to post it. I didn't want to restart the arguments over Weir, I wasn't sure if it was appropriate in the SEW thread, and didn't realize there was discussion going on in this thread.

Just throwing that out there as a suggestion. *shrugs* I'm not a regular poster, so I would think it would be up to the more frequent members of the thread.
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                            sigpic

Comment

I get the feeling they would have replaced Weir no matter who it was in the Fourth Season. The interviews that they gave on the subject was "A change had to be made". Even though they didn't explain why. My feeling is, they didn't like the character enough to have her on the show more than 3 years. That surprised me because frankly I always saw her as the second most important character on the show, behind Sheppard. Obviously the writers didn't see it that way. I actually was even more surprised how much I missed her after she left though. She was even more important than I thought. There was a certain sort of personal touch (or something to that effects) to the city (and the show itself)missing after she was gone.
                              Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 07 May 2009, 05:23 AM.
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                                Well, maybe you all can help me with a problem I'm having. As someone who doesn't really read ship fic very often, I've been having a seriously hard time finding gen fic for Elizabeth that is of somewhat decent length. It doesn't even necessarily need to be about Elizabeth - it just would be nice if she played more than a cameo role in the story. I prefer gen fic, but the problem with gen fic is that most of it just focuses on the team four. So if anyone could point me to some good gen fic with Elizabeth, that would be great.
                                Uh...I'm not really a self-pimper, but I have written one that's not strictly shippy--very canon based--it's definitely gen, and it focuses on Elizabeth. It isn't complete yet, but if you want to try it you can find it here:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4254289/1/Testament

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                                Another question - while I'm here. I know the mods haven't gotten around to dealing with the Elizabeth threads yet. But when they do, what would you all think about asking if this thread could be renamed something like The Elizabeth Weir/Torri Higginson WOW/Discussion/Appreciation thread?

The reason I ask that is because there really is no discussion/appreciation thread for Elizabeth right now, except for an open debate thread on the character, which I'm not really interested in reviving. There's been a few times I've wanted to discuss something about Elizabeth, but I wasn't sure where to post it. I didn't want to restart the arguments over Weir, I wasn't sure if it was appropriate in the SEW thread, and didn't realize there was discussion going on in this thread.

Just throwing that out there as a suggestion. *shrugs* I'm not a regular poster, so I would think it would be up to the more frequent members of the thread.
                                I'm not a regular poster, but I'm okay with it. I'd love to revive Elizabeth discussion, too, since Torri's been kinda quiet with her career as of late.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                                I get the feeling they would have replaced Weir no matter who it was in the Fourth Season. The interviews that they gave on the subject was "A change had to be made". Even though they didn't explain why. My feeling is, they didn't like the character enough to have her on the show more than 3 years. That surprised me because frankly I always saw her as the second most important character on the show, behind Sheppard. Obviously the writers didn't see it that way. I actually was even more surprised how much I missed her after she left though. She was even more important than I thought. There was a certain sort of personal touch (or something to that effects) to the city (and the show itself)missing after she was gone.
                                I feel like a lot of people realized it like you did. By the time it was realized, it was a little too late--the bad blood was already there, which I think inhibited what could have been done with the character. I wish the writers, if they were really keen on dismissing Weir, had considered 'downsizing' in the sense of having her character go down a particular arc rather than just getting rid of her altogether. They could have done the same story they did, with Lifeline, and then have her pop up in 10 or so episodes with the rebel replicators for an interesting and very different type of storyline. That would have been enough, I think, for most Weir fans and for general SGA fans. It also would have been exciting to see the shake-up in the system.

But, you know, hindsight...
                                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Working...
                                X