X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
    What the heck is Staks? Here's my view on Kirking:

I'm sorry, I just had to reply. Sure, they are allowed to get romantically involved with whoever they feel like they want to get romantically involved with.

But seriously, John Sheppard is the man-slut of Stargate Atlantis. Not only is he getting romantically involved with women within 24 hours of meeting them, he's doing it on a regular basis! In season 1, he was doing it left and right. In season 2, he's still kinda doing it. We didn't actually see them sneaking off and doing the matress mambo, but it was hinted a few times and he almost ALWAYS flirted with everything female!

All the while getting occasionally shipped in the direction of Weir and Teyla!

Yes, he's the man-slut of Atlantis.

I just had to point this out also:
    Spoiler:
    Incidentally, in "Inferno", there's LOTS of Sheppard/McKay ship. It almost seem as if they're already a couple! The jealous and possessive looks John gives that woman scientist. And then the tables are turned when John gets too close to her and Rodney sees it! But then again, Rodney would have to put up with John's incessant manwhoring!
    you know, sometimes I ask myself - is SGA a sifi show or a soap? In this two seasons are more kirking that in eight seasons SG1. I like the show and the characters but I'm afraid I will have to change my mind. I'm a Teyla/Shep shipper but I think I'd rather see Shep with Weir that with some alien woman. He could stay away from Teyla and Weir at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Annie Sheppard
      you know, sometimes I ask myself - is SGA a sifi show or a soap? In this two seasons are more kirking that in eight seasons SG1. I like the show and the characters but I'm afraid I will have to change my mind. I'm a Teyla/Shep shipper but I think I'd rather see Shep with Weir that with some alien woman. He could stay away from Teyla and Weir at least.
      I think both shows are heading in that direction. Well, maybe not SG1, that seems to be moving beyond the soap phase a bit.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Yeah, that's part of my beef too. Well, at least the Sheppard/Weir and Sheppard/Teyla shipping has cooled off ("The Long Goodbye" not counting). But before, it was always John Manslut flirting with everything female, including Teyla and Weir and having little "moments" with them.

That's where "Inferno" comes in. To cool things down with Sheppard and the ladies XD. Sorry, I just can't let it go.

Comment

Can we cool it with the use of terms like "Manslut" please. That can be very offensive to some fans. I think there are far more appropriate and neutral terms that can be used. I really don't want this thread to get into a war again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
            Can we cool it with the use of terms like "Manslut" please. That can be very offensive to some fans. I think there are far more appropriate and neutral terms that can be used. I really don't want this thread to get into a war again.
            exactly

Comment

I'm just trying to make sure people know that "slut" isn't a word suitable only to describe women with (I'm a man, BTW). OK, let's call him... sexually easy? >_>'

I hate characters who flirt with everything alive as long as they're attractive and of the right sex. Especially if they're one of my favorite characters.

Comment

Hmmm I'm not quite sure if the post is on topic but I just wanted to let you know that I made some kirking related wallpaper today. I posted it over at my LJ, just click on the tiny preview to reach the original post.

Feel free to drop a comment if you like/dislike, it'll be appreciated.

ETA: I'd just like to precise that the wallpaper is intended as a JOKE, no actual bashing of either the character or the actor is intended. I just make fun of the situation.
                Last edited by Poulpette; 25 January 2006, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I just wanted to make it clear that this is not a character bashing thread. We may not like Kirking, but that is no reason to use terms like Manwhore and Manslut.

If you were trying to make the point that men can be sluts too, then make it, but please don't assign these terms to a character as if it were their only facet.

Comment

But I love Sheppard. I hate the Kirking. >_>' I'll just go back to calling it Kirking. DEATH TO KIRKING!

Comment

Less kirking more fighting

Comment

But I love Sheppard. I hate the Kirking. >_>' I'll just go back to calling it Kirking. DEATH TO KIRKING!
                        It's ok. I know most people do. It's just that some people can come in, see those terms and be offended. There has been quite a bit of trouble in the past, seeing as STAKS is quite a controversial thread.

Comment

Another thing that bothers me with all of this "kirking" is how most of the secondary and one-shot female characters end up the target of the affections of one or more Atlantis men. Look:

Season One

-Carson flirts (and Rodney tries and fails) with Perna in PtW
                          -Some might argue that Shep flirts with Sora in Underground
                          -Shep flirts with Chaya in Sanctuary
                          -Rodney fumbles at flirting with Allina in Brotherhood

Season Two
                          Spoiler:

-Katie Brown is Rodney's love interest in Duet while Cadman pines for Carson
                          -Shep and Rodney make comments about the female commander/wraith in Aurora
                          -Shep flirts with Teer in Epiphany
                          -Rodney makes out with Carter in GUP (even though it's in his head)
                          -Shep makes out with Mara in Tower
                          -Both Shep and Rodney flirt with the female scientist in Inferno

The only female secondary characters who aren't the target of flirting or suggestive comments are
                          Spoiler:
                          Ellia in Instinct (wow, wouldn't that be scary! ), Novak in her appearances, and Landon's sis in Coup d'Etat.
                          All the other women who appear on Atlantis appear to be fair game.

It's gotten to the point where anytime I see an attractive woman featured in only one episode I wonder which of the Atlantis men is going to flirt with her and vice versa. Sure many of the women play key roles in the plot and have other things to do, but I'd rather see them stand alone as a scientist or warrior, rather than a scientist AND love interest/flirtee. The Atlantis boys don't have to flirt with EVERYTHING that crosses their path.

And again it shows that the Atlantis men are flirting and making out with secondary women characters while the Atlantis women haven't been shown even flirting with the secondary men characters, or having the men come on to them. If they're going to have all this flirting and kirking on the show, at least they could make it a little more balanced. I'm sure Elizabeth and Teyla have their needs as well.

Comment

I CANNOT see how Staks is remotely controversal.

Comment

Inferno:
                              Spoiler:
                              You know, I would have found the kirking in this episode funny if it hadn't happend in the last few episodes. Now it seems that John isn't just doing it to annoy Rodney but like he actually wants to sleep with her.

I didn't see PTW as kirking though. They were working together for more than a few days and I think Carson saw her no more than a good friend.

What I did see as kirking was
                              Spoiler:
                              John's question in Epiphany when Teer told him of the visions she's had of him. I think it was something like do we do it tonight. I could be wrong though, I need to rewatch the episode.

Comment

I CANNOT see how Staks is remotely controversal.
                                Kirking is - believe it or not - a controversial issue on this forum, not only because some fans don't find anything wrong with it and are therefore opposed to the idea of Anti-Kirking, but also because a vocal minority would have us believe we're prudes and Sheppard/Flanigan bashers, among other things. All I can say is that if we were any of those things we wouldn't invest so much time and energy in an attempt to save the character we allegedly hate. If you want proof, read back a few pages.

I understand your frustration and the need to use certain terms in reference to Sheppard to reinforce your point, but I have to agree with Tracy here. Some fans find such terms offensive which means we should avoid using them. This thread has had to face huge opposition in the past, and it was only yesterday that a rather heated discussion took place about the use of term "Sheph0r" on another thread. Let us please try to avoid that kind of thing here.

Where did that soapbox come from?

Great points, ToasterOnFire. For me this Kirking issue has come as far as actually considering not watching the show anymore in Season 3. Inferno
                                Spoiler:
                                When I saw the picture of the blonde babe (can't remember the name right now) on New Atlantis months ago I remember saying "Oh, no, not another one!" At the time I was told I was exaggerating the amount of Kirking that goes on on SGA. Sadly, I was right in assuming this dreadful trend of good-looking women serving only as guest starring eye candy would continue. I am neither against beautiful women nor flirting, but because those two go hand in hand on SGA I can no longer watch it because it causes the disintegration of my favourite character (Sheppard). As you said, Teyla and Weir surely have needs too. I'm not by any means advocating false equality in terms of having them Kirk as well, but it concerns me to see the men Kirk in almost every episode while the women haven't even once. I have to digress here before I point out that this is, after all, coming from an all-male writing staff.

Comment

Working...
                                X