Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it comes to Stargate I'd rather they laid off the ship, since it's always done really poorly in my opinion. Just look at the whole Sam/Jack debacle...

I have no objection to romance as long as it is done well and tackled properly...however, with Sheppard, it seems to be very much that, wherever there is a woman off-world, TPTB have him in there, like an intergallactic gigolo...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

It's HIS fault, he was all for gratuitious sex

Comment

But that's TPTB that are writing it in, which just makes the whole show cheap. We just don't tune in to see who Shep's bedded this week.
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I'm gonna do a quick list of the various Kirk-type 'romances' in Stargate to date

(note: this could take some time, so if you have some RL to do, please do it before reading any further )

SG1 Season One
          Brief Candle - Jack/Kynthia - vile...he sleeps with someone who's a month old. What was the whole point of it? Plus it was creepy
          Hathor - Daniel/Jack/Hathor - just wrong!
          Enigma - Sam/Narim - just strange and frankly a bit out-of-the-blue

Honourable mentions - Jack and Sam's exes both turn up within the first 6 eps

Season Two
          Need - Daniel/the Princess who's name I can't remember - again...point? was there one?

Season Three
          Past and Present - Daniel/Kiera - one episode after Sha're's death???? WTF?
          A Hundred Days - Jack/Laira - need I say anything?

'Honourable' mention - Jolinar/Martouf/Lantash

Season 4
          Crossroads - Teal'c/Shaun'ac - okay...good ep...but why did she have to be an old flame?
          The Curse - Daniel/Sarah - wow...one Kirking episode actually has a point!
          2010 - Sam/Joe - ?????

Season Five
          Ascension - Sam and Orlin - 'implied' intimacy in s9, but was there any in the ep?

Season Six

OMG...Nothing!

Season Seven
          Birthright - Teal'c/Ishta - actually serves some purpose...I think
          Chimera - Sam/Pete - I would have though that Osiris and Sarah would have been more important personally

Season Eight
          Affinity - Sam/Pete , Teal'c/Krista - first one is pointless in this ep, second one is completely wrong!
          Sacrifices - Teal'c/ishta - suddenly Affinity is forgotten

Season One SGA
          Poisoning the Well - Carson/The Scientist whose name I don't remember - Okay...this one may be valid
          Sanctuary - Sheppard/Chaya - would have been a good ep, if they hadn't put in the customary kiss and stuff

Honourable mention - Simon - Weir's boyfriend

Season Two
          Duet - McKay/Brown, Beckett/Cadman, McKay/Kadman, McKay/Beckett - highly entertaining but...

That's as far as I've seen...but c'mon...Kirking's getting a little old!
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Thanks for the list there, Sue. Season Seven also has the ep with Jonas plus the Goauld woman. Dunno if that counts cos he's no longer a main cast member, but good as.

Comment

there is a difference between, say sam and rodney in redemption. they interacted but there was 'nothing' between them. (well rod wanted to, but it was never gonna happen) and simple interactions, like sam and the dude that played in the Nanny.

all m/f (or same gender for that matter) interaction is meant to be sexual or a lead up to being sexual.

but, yeah, it does get a bit trite after a while. such as carson falling for perna in that episode (man, i'm sucking on titles today) and then she dies. their interaction seemed to serve no real purpose but to crank up the angst

for teh most part, the quickest way to get a red shirt is to fall for one of the series regulars
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Its disappointing that TPTB think all we want to see is a handsome military man pushing 40, munching face with girls who look like university co-eds.

Sheppard has been my favorite character on SGA, but if we don't get more info on what makes Sheppard "tick" - what drives him and what his "story" is - and if the babes-of-the-week continue to pile up, I just might start thunking for one of the other rather nice fellas on the show.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Exactly. We do have *slightly* higher intelligence levels than that

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                    Its disappointing that TPTB think all we want to see is a handsome military man pushing 40, munching face with girls who look like university co-eds.

Sheppard has been my favorite character on SGA, but if we don't get more info on what makes Sheppard "tick" - what drives him and what his "story" is - and if the babes-of-the-week continue to pile up, I just might start thunking for one of the other rather nice fellas on the show.
                    Couldn't agree more. I'm actually much less opposed to John ending up kissing either Teyla or Elizabeth, because both women have other functions on the show. That's actually why I was so opposed to the idea of Shep/Teyla in the beginning - the casting information made it seem like Teyla's only function on the show would be flirting with John. Thank God they figured out how badly that was playing with their focus groups, and gave her something to do. And I wanted to throw something at the television during Sanctuary because Chaya was there just to make out with John. That basic plot had so much potential, and it was wasted in a string of Kirk jokes.

The girl in The Brotherhood wasn't so bad, probably because it was done quite lightly. The episode wasn't "Girl falls for Rodney! Will they or won't they!?"

Also, on a mildly related note, it would be nice if one of these days we came across a planet where the native women weren't all drop-dead gorgeous. Sheppard must have really good luck. Do the Wraith eat all the normal-looking women in the galaxy?
                    Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                    Last update: 14 April 2006
                    Melyanna's Multimedia
                    Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

i agree... i am so over this 'Kirk Syndrome' that seems to have possessed TPTB... maybe because its what they would like to see happening to them, they are all male (no offence intended) afterall... we havent seen either of the girls in a romantic tryst (excluding Simon... he was from Earth)...i would really like to see some of Shep's background story and whjat makes him tick... his family history... that sort of thing....
                      ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

You're so right! Everyone's so good looking. You can kinda understand the SG teams being fairly good looking, they have to pass medicals etc, but on Atlantis, it's different. And off world as well.

Comment

uh huh
                          ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                            Also, on a mildly related note, it would be nice if one of these days we came across a planet where the native women weren't all drop-dead gorgeous. Sheppard must have really good luck. Do the Wraith eat all the normal-looking women in the galaxy?
                            I agree. I know it's common to use drop-dead gorgeous men and women throughout the media, but it gets old. If we're lead to believe these planets are representative of normal human populations, then why not rename the PG "Galaxy of the Hot Women" and be done with it. With all those spectacularly pretty women running around, it's no wonder some characters would contract the dreaded Kirk Syndrome.

[/rant]

Comment

I mean, in a way, although I find AT really drop dead gorgeous, she's still got that very normal quality, unlike plastic OC/Friends type people. That goes for TH as well (oooh, just noticed they're my initials....very exciting)

Comment

Great posts, people.

Sanctuary and Epiphany rank among the worst Stargate episodes ever. Whoever thought it would make a good storyline to ship Sheppard with every scantily-clad space babe that bats her eyelashes at him? He's a 40-year-old Lt. Colonel, for cryin' out loud, and as much as these charades may have been popular in the 1960's, I believe it is called robbing the cradle these days. It seems someone has a lack of respect for our intelligence by thinking that him Kirking around is going to generate anything other than contempt. Many sci-fi fans these days are not pimple-faced teenyboppers who will take hot chicks over good stories, character development etc. Sheppard's manhood and hotness do not need to be reinforced in this grotesque way. We've figured it out for ourselves long ago. What he needs is a backstory as the infatuation with his hair may come to pass one day. Having a good-looking actor with a great acting ability is not something that should be wasted on pointless and demeaning episodes.

*steps off the soapbox*

Comment

Working...
                                X