Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STAKS: The Anti-Kirking Discussion Thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by The wicked Witch
    I don't mind about sex in sci-fi series, but I do mind when it's incoherent and *sorrysorrysorry* vulgar...
    Spoiler:
    I found the blond girl pathetic throwing herself at Shep, I really pitied her. Plus she really seems stupid and her voice uuuuh ! Teer I found a bit boring... *yawn* These girls are really not meant for Shep, and ya know what ? I think he knows it...


    Sex is ok for me, it's something natural, our heroes are human, grown-ups, therefore they have a sex life (I do hope they have). Even if Rodney might still be a virgin...

    About Shep, mmmh, I've seen first season episodes lately and I couldn't help but see his flirting with Sora and the female doctor Beckett works with... Seems like it's the way he behaves, kind of pavlovian thing : "A girl ? Woaw, must give it a try !"
    In season two it's systematic... Rather funny until the moment he can't control his lips anymore...
    Speaking of systematic, I don't know how many of you have been reading Joe's blog. I tried (And failed) to draw his attention to STAKS last night after he made some "interesting" comments about kirking.

    He said "that Shep does get around a bit, doesn't he? Must be something to do with that ancient gene...." then continued to imply that kirking is an integral part of science fiction in a later blog comment. I refer you to my training guide.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Erised
      I went over to Sheppard thread after The Tower, and I was surprised by some comments, that some people actually liked the kirking. This may be a reason why I don't go there as often as I used to
      Hello, gorgeous. You're up early today!

      I can't see how anyone with a shred of respect for the character could or would enjoy kirking. That's just bizarre.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Tracy Jane
        Hello, gorgeous. You're up early today!

        I can't see how anyone with a shred of respect for the character could or would enjoy kirking. That's just bizarre.
        yea I guess they only care about his hottness ;)
        pretend I didn't say that.

        about that blog entry, do you think it's just for a joke or the ancient gene does have something to do with it? At first it cracked me up but now I'm curious

        Comment


          Originally posted by Erised
          yea I guess they only care about his hottness ;)
          pretend I didn't say that.

          about that blog entry, do you think it's just for a joke or the ancient gene does have something to do with it? At first it cracked me up but now I'm curious
          No. It was just a joke, I think.
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

          Comment


            Well, I've certainly been out of the loop because I didn't realize that some fans of Sheppard were taking this thread as an insult to Sheppard. I also wasn't aware that some Sheppard fans support his being Kirked. I hope those fans who support his being Kirked support it because of a difference in how they interpret Kirking and not because they want to see him with a woman (or girl ) on every planet, especially, when that trend takes away from more character development for Sheppard.

            If I didn't care about the future of Sheppard, I would not have taken the time to post in this thread (and elsewhere) about how disappointed I am about the direction TPTB is taking his character. I believe that when we stop posting about this (and stop watching SGA) is when Sheppard supporters should be concerned.

            I see this thread as a fight (however futile it may be) to *save* Sheppard, not denigrate him.
            sigpic
            Sig by Luciana

            Comment


              Originally posted by maxbo
              Well, I've certainly been out of the loop because I didn't realize that some fans of Sheppard were taking this thread as an insult to Sheppard. I also wasn't aware that some Sheppard fans support his being Kirked. I hope those fans who support his being Kirked support it because of a difference in how they interpret Kirking and not because they want to see him with a woman (or girl ) on every planet, especially, when that trend takes away from more character development for Sheppard.

              If I didn't care about the future of Sheppard, I would not have taken the time to post in this thread (and elsewhere) about how disappointed I am about the direction TPTB is taking his character. I believe that when we stop posting about this (and stop watching SGA) is when Sheppard supporters should be concerned.

              I see this thread as a fight (however futile it may be) to *save* Sheppard, not denigrate him.
              Not just to save Sheppard but to save Stargate and all of it's characters. Because it has repercussions, of course.
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                Speaking of systematic, I don't know how many of you have been reading Joe's blog. I tried (And failed) to draw his attention to STAKS last night after he made some "interesting" comments about kirking.

                He said "that Shep does get around a bit, doesn't he? Must be something to do with that ancient gene...." then continued to imply that kirking is an integral part of science fiction in a later blog comment. I refer you to my training guide.
                I take it he wasn't joking?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by gooner_diva
                  I take it he wasn't joking?
                  I dunno. Let me find the comment and I'll post it.
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    Not just to save Sheppard but to save Stargate and all of it's characters. Because it has repercussions, of course.
                    Yep, that goes without saying, IMO. I've said it before and it bears repeating, that the way a lead character is treated is indicative of the direction TPTB plans to take the entire show. It's beyond disappointing that we know so little about who Sheppard is despite his being so heavily featured. It's also troubling that no matter how many times TPTB is asked about more development for any of the characters, we get the same vague responses.

                    I was willing to hold out for more until I saw The Tower - now, I'm not so sure.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Luciana

                    Comment


                      Great thread!! Will offer my support to the S.T.A.K.S

                      The Kirk routine is not only getting old quick.....it is just flat out boring, predicatble and irritating. Let's have a little more substance for Shep than that.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                        Speaking of systematic, I don't know how many of you have been reading Joe's blog. I tried (And failed) to draw his attention to STAKS last night after he made some "interesting" comments about kirking.

                        He said "that Shep does get around a bit, doesn't he? Must be something to do with that ancient gene...." then continued to imply that kirking is an integral part of science fiction in a later blog comment. I refer you to my training guide.
                        I posted a comment to Joe's blog this morning. I hope he IS paying attention to fans in this thread, and to comments made in the episode threads. I don't know anyone who is against Sheppard - only people who don't want him turned into a loose womanizer. I want "Mensa Shep"!



                        When all else fails, change channels.

                        Comment


                          Hey guys? I was just sitting here, thinking about kirking and Star Trek, and I remembered something

                          Stargate SG-1: 1969
                          THORNBIRD: I'm Major Robert Thornbird. And you are?
                          JACK: Captain James T Kirk, of the starship Enterprise.
                          THORNBIRD: And your dog tags say otherwise.
                          Jack: They're lying.
                          Just thought I'd share
                          I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I thought it was funny. Jack did kirk quite a bit in early seasons.

                          Imagine if John said that in Atlantis after this thread was created

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by maxbo
                            I share the frustration of those who don't understand the double standard applied to the Kirking of male characters vs female characters. I've already read too many posts where Shep has been given either a high five from those who approve or just a slap on the wrist from those who don't.

                            However, each female he's Kirked have been virtually branded with a scarlet letter, despite the fact that we had never seen these females before and probably won't see them again. In other words, although we've seen Shep Kirk several women, he's not considered a slut by these folks, but the one-shot females he's Kirked are. How can anyone rationally reach that conclusion?

                            We all know that if we substituted one of the SGA ladies for Shep in each of these instances that our SGA ladies would be labeled sluts in a heartbeat. It's a damn shame that so many of us still have such a limiting view of women and sex and such a tolerant "boys will be boys" view of men and sex.

                            It's also frustrating that those with this "boys will be boys" view don't seem to grasp that Shep is at risk of being turned into an intergalactic booty call and that if SGA lasts long enough, in the future sci-fi fans could be calling this behavior *Shepping* instead of *Kirking*.
                            I remember when Sam got together with Pete on SG1. I can't even repeat here some of the words I heard applied to her in various forums. 'Slut' might have been kind, and then the fact that she was betraying Jack (never mind that nothing's ever even happened between those two). It was nuts. Nobody ever complained about Jack, Daniel or Teal'c (I think Teal'c has slept with more women than either Daniel or Jack, but then he's an alien so it's okay).

                            However, yes, if a woman does 'it', well, instant label. If a guy does it, he's 'being a guy'. Well, the consequences sure are less. They don't end up pregnant!

                            But, we can't expect that the SGA/SG1 characters don't have sexual histories of their; none are monks, after all. However, it does belittle a character when you start using that stuff as a subplot (beautiful alien babe throws herself at Sheppard, and in The Tower, it was literally). I seriously don't think he slept with Chaya; at most, shared the glowy thing with her. Teer, a definite yes. At that point in time, he figured he was there forever, she'd hit on him, he was interested to a degree (but not in the 'love' category). The bimbo princess (sorry, forgot her name as well, she was forgettable). I think he skedaddled off that bed realizing he was just being used and hey, the guy's gotta have some pride.

                            Of all of the main characters on Atlantis, Weir seems to have been the only one who had a long-term relationship. The rest are either commitment-shy, emotionally-damaged, obssessed with work, or something. Ronon's been on the run, so no time; Teyla, she's been leading her people, but I can't imagine she hasn't had a relationship but maybe he got taken by the Wraith. Rodney, well, we've all seen how he is with women and he lives for his work and still obsesses over Sam Carter. Sheppard. Darn. No real background on the man! Yes, he's very much into his military career but that doesn't mean he might not have had a long relationship which, in TV life, means work broke them up, or his black mark, or she was killedby a shark (no, wait, that was Baywatch....)

                            Action-adventure shows rarely let lead characters get married (unless the wife, it's always the wife) gets bumped off, preferably before Act III), and to have constant UST doesn't always work or pay off (i.e. Sam/Jack). The writers might want to just concentrate on characters developing deep non-sexual friendships (my god, yes, they do exist!) rather than making it all about sex.

                            Maybe the writers should just spend a weekend with a bunch of folk (men and women) from the armed forces and see just how deep friendships can run.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by prion
                              I remember when Sam got together with Pete on SG1. I can't even repeat here some of the words I heard applied to her in various forums. 'Slut' might have been kind, and then the fact that she was betraying Jack (never mind that nothing's ever even happened between those two). It was nuts. Nobody ever complained about Jack, Daniel or Teal'c (I think Teal'c has slept with more women than either Daniel or Jack, but then he's an alien so it's okay).

                              However, yes, if a woman does 'it', well, instant label. If a guy does it, he's 'being a guy'. Well, the consequences sure are less. They don't end up pregnant!

                              But, we can't expect that the SGA/SG1 characters don't have sexual histories of their; none are monks, after all. However, it does belittle a character when you start using that stuff as a subplot (beautiful alien babe throws herself at Sheppard, and in The Tower, it was literally). I seriously don't think he slept with Chaya; at most, shared the glowy thing with her. Teer, a definite yes. At that point in time, he figured he was there forever, she'd hit on him, he was interested to a degree (but not in the 'love' category). The bimbo princess (sorry, forgot her name as well, she was forgettable). I think he skedaddled off that bed realizing he was just being used and hey, the guy's gotta have some pride.

                              Of all of the main characters on Atlantis, Weir seems to have been the only one who had a long-term relationship. The rest are either commitment-shy, emotionally-damaged, obssessed with work, or something. Ronon's been on the run, so no time; Teyla, she's been leading her people, but I can't imagine she hasn't had a relationship but maybe he got taken by the Wraith. Rodney, well, we've all seen how he is with women and he lives for his work and still obsesses over Sam Carter. Sheppard. Darn. No real background on the man! Yes, he's very much into his military career but that doesn't mean he might not have had a long relationship which, in TV life, means work broke them up, or his black mark, or she was killedby a shark (no, wait, that was Baywatch....)

                              Action-adventure shows rarely let lead characters get married (unless the wife, it's always the wife) gets bumped off, preferably before Act III), and to have constant UST doesn't always work or pay off (i.e. Sam/Jack). The writers might want to just concentrate on characters developing deep non-sexual friendships (my god, yes, they do exist!) rather than making it all about sex.

                              Maybe the writers should just spend a weekend with a bunch of folk (men and women) from the armed forces and see just how deep friendships can run.
                              Well said! I had no idea that people felt that strongly about Sam/Pete. I understood her reasoning after seeing 'Grace' and I didn't think she was being slutty at all. She was just trying to move on with her life.

                              I completely agree about the double standard. I haven't seen season 2 of Atlantis but Shep seems to be losing all credibility for me just what what I've been reading on this thread. I'll have to make my final opinion about Shep once Canada gets season 2 of Atlantis or I order/pay for the movie network.
                              Hero worship is only a part time job

                              Comment


                                Latest from Joe's Blog (not sure who made the quote):

                                "Do you guys really think it's funny to have a Lt. Colonel in the USAF who while on a mission as a part of his job behaves like a randy teenager? Or is that your target audience?"

                                A definite no on both counts.

                                *I think he is starting to get the idea*



                                When all else fails, change channels.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X