This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Easter Lily
    I don't care for political correctness personally because it assumes that the great majority (whoever that is) all share a common political viewpoint when in reality, it's not that simple. Personally, I'm not entirely against the idea of the lovable womanizer... a man who thinks he's God's gift to women and plays it up. I liked the original Starbuck... he was supposed to be a player and he acted consistently with that persona. That was his flaw... He was a brilliant pilot but had a thing for women and cigars.

With Sheppard, I'm confused... In S1, he seemed to be a man of substance and a little dark at the edges. But in S2, he's lost some of that edge and stands around for comic relief. The lovable womanizer doesn't work for his character in my opinion because a) it seems to me to be an afterthought b) he is a much more complex and sensitive character.
    I didn't feel that Joe Flanigan played Sheppard as a lovable womanizer in S1 at all. To me his Sheppard was a charming, flirtatious man who was intensely concerned about those around him. I felt that he was a one woman man but he wasn't very good at maintaining relationships for one reason or another.

I feel that Michael Weatherly plays up Denozzo's womanizing qualities to the full. He is convinced by it... and the writing is very deliberate in that regard.
    In contrast to that is his performance of Logan in Dark Angel where he's a much more serious, vulnerable character. It took me a couple of episodes to realise who he was in NCIS.

Also with Denozzo he gets knocked over the head with his womanizing either by his colleagues or the women that he's romancing. So the consequences are well-played out.
    Brilliant points. I particularly agree about the Starbuck points. If a character is established as a "lovable womanizer" ala Bret Maverick then it's pallatable, but when the "kirking" events are out of character--they are extremely grating. In Sheppard's case it's jarring because in S1 he started out as the mysterious, humorous and highly principled soldier, but he has become comical. I don't think the kirking events are in anyway cute or charming either, so they seeman utter waste of valuable storytelling time. If TPTB are serious about S3, then perhaps they've begun to realize campy kirked up eps garner lower ratings ("The Tower")

Later,
    Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Sign me up, baby!

I watch a show for two reasons:
      1) A good story
      2) 'Ships - as in the angsty build up to a long lasting kind.

Nowhere in there does Kirking fit so if they're not gonna ship our fave characters for good then just don't 'ship anyone at all and stick with good stories. Kirking is pointless and a waist of time in my opinion. Plus I don't like the stigma it puts on the characters we love.

So yes, I'm a shipper but I'm an anti-kirker (is that the word? Forgive me I'm new.)

Long live 'ships! In my case: Sparky aka Shep/Weir

Comment

Originally posted by A.L.
        So yes, I'm a shipper but I'm an anti-kirker (is that the word? Forgive me I'm new.)

Long live 'ships! In my case: Sparky aka Shep/Weir
        You bet anti-kirker is a word. If not, it is now. Welcome to STAKS. Please note, however, that we try not to ship in here to make everyone feel welcome: shippers, non-shippers and anti-shippers alike.

Comment

We now have 96 members (According to my count) whoot! Welcome, and what my babe gooner said.
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I have serious rage issues about kirking sometimes

Greta on the member count! Is it possible that TPTB have seen we don't like kirking, theres been no mention of it for the new seasons

Comment

Originally posted by Major Zoidberg
              I have serious rage issues about kirking sometimes

Greta on the member count! Is it possible that TPTB have seen we don't like kirking, theres been no mention of it for the new seasons
              Kirk, was Kirk, will always be Kirk, and should only be Kirk.
              *crossed fingers that Kirking is done and over with*

Comment

Hahah I didn't go downstairs to watch Sci Fi friday at all on Friday... it was the Tower repeat day!!! I didn't really want to have my head slammed into "JOHN SHEPPARD THE BABE MAGNET" every SG-1 and Dr.Who commercial break..

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                  We now have 96 members (According to my count) whoot! Welcome, and what my babe gooner said.
                  What the...? Does that mean we lost some members since my last count?
                  Originally posted by Erised
                  I didn't really want to have my head slammed into "JOHN SHEPPARD THE BABE MAGNET" every SG-1 and Dr.Who commercial break..
                  Retarded advertising. Somehow this makes me feel better about not having the Sci-Fi channel.

Comment

Originally posted by gooner_diva
                    What the...? Does that mean we lost some members since my last count?

Retarded advertising. Somehow this makes me feel better about not having the Sci-Fi channel.
                    Nope. I just pasted the list into word, separated names into separate lines, then went to word count and checked the number of lines. It said 96. You try it.
                    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by gooner_diva

I have an old SG magazine with a JF interview... and the preview page says in HUGE SILVER letters:

INTERGALACTIC FLY BOY!

and a a huge picture that just screams "you want me? You come get me!!!".... I wanna burn this page!!!
                      Last edited by Erised; 23 April 2006, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Hahah I didn't go downstairs to watch Sci Fi friday at all on Friday... it was the Tower repeat day!!! I didn't really want to have my head slammed into "JOHN SHEPPARD THE BABE MAGNET" every SG-1 and Dr.Who commercial break..
                        I deleted that ep of my hardrive straight after i watched it

Why didn't he send that blond girl away

Comment

I have an old SG magazine with a JF interview... and the preview page says in HUGE SILVER letters:

INTERGALACTIG FLY BOY!

and a a huge picture that just screams "you want me? You come get me!!!".... I wanna burn this page!!!
                          LOL Build a big campfire, make a party out of it.

Comment

Nope. I just pasted the list into word, separated names into separate lines, then went to word count and checked the number of lines. It said 96. You try it.
                            Yeah, you're right, I got 96 too. 4 more and I can die happy.
                            Originally posted by Major Zoidberg
                            That's true, but it's much too early to say for sure. I think I'll wait until we get spoilers for all episodes, especially SGA ones, before I start gloating about the success of the STAKS project.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                              LOL Build a big campfire, make a party out of it.
                              YES! And I will take a pic as that page is being burned and post it here! mwahaha

Major Z, oh I deleted it from my right away HD as well!

Comment

Do you want me to dig out the link to the commercial again?

Whohoo! Here's to four more members!
                                Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

Comment

Working...
                                X