Rachel Luttrell/Teyla Emmagan WOW Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lady Blue View Post
    Cool, so it's kind of like watching a live journal in some ways. Sounds interesting.
    Yup, kinda like that.

And baby Groot.
    The only good thing about that whole film.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Why do you say that? I thought the movie was pleasant. I had a few gripes, mainly that I think more time should have been spent on Gamora and her story, and by extension Nebula, plus it would have been nice to get a little more on the other team members' back stories, but I liked the film. What was so bad about it to you?

sigpic

Comment

What was so bad about it to you?
        I was seriously disappointed with GotG. Dancing Groot is definitely the highlight, and of course the 80-70ties soundtrack, but beyond that... a lot of hype, and not enough delivery. Great VFX, and stunning backdrops but great effects and explosions don't make for a good story.

As far as characters went, I have to say Drax was interesting and had a surprising depth to him. The raccoon was just crazy. Groot acted with his face so lots of kudo's to the animators. Starlord, I wanted to throw out of an airlock. Gamora was too one dimensional, and it didn't help that I was constantly seeing Zoe's Avatar character. Her style of portraying Gamora was a lot like that one.

As far as VFX went, bravo to the 3D/VFX/Matte Painting/Art-departments -- job well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          I was seriously disappointed with GotG. Dancing Groot is definitely the highlight, and of course the 80-70ties soundtrack, but beyond that... a lot of hype, and not enough delivery. Great VFX, and stunning backdrops but great effects and explosions don't make for a good story.

As far as characters went, I have to say Drax was interesting and had a surprising depth to him. The raccoon was just crazy. Groot acted with his face so lots of kudo's to the animators. Starlord, I wanted to throw out of an airlock. Gamora was too one dimensional, and it didn't help that I was constantly seeing Zoe's Avatar character. Her style of portraying Gamora was a lot like that one.

As far as VFX went, bravo to the 3D/VFX/Matte Painting/Art-departments -- job well done.
          I very much so disagree about Gamora and Zoe's portrayal of her. I never thought of Netyri once. I'm kinda shocked that you did. She doesn't speak the same or act the same or look the same. Her Avatar character has a clear accent and is all about being one with nature. That's not Gamora at all, but she's still a good person at heart.

Zoe provided a very different portrayal to me for Gamora vs. Netyri. Unfortunately, I think she was as dimensional as the film allowed her to be, and a lot of that is because I think her story was cut. The director said he cut out around 30 minutes of the film for the final product, and I think that hurt her character and perhaps what you're getting from her performance. Anyway, thanks for the answer. It's always interesting to get a different perspective.

sigpic

Comment

Well, then I'm afraid we have to agree to disagree.

I prefer Neytiri over Gamora any day of the week. If she was indeed, as you say, not acting rather the same way, then it is weird that I would have to make the comparison to start with... don't you think?

And to be clear, it's not the characters I'm comparing... it's the way Zoe acts both characters. The way she moves, and talks. While Gamora is mostly all her with few 3D insets, Neytiri is completely CG with Zoe as template for movement and facial expressions.

And also for the record - I like Zoe.

Comment

Nothing's wrong with agreeing to disagree.

I like both characters, but so far I'm digging Gamora more. Maybe it's because she's fresher in my mind, but I think if I watched both movies back to back, I'd still like Gamora more. If we're just talking about the characters, Netyri was very 'insert generic Navtive America/African princess.' I'm not criticizing, but it's just that I find Gamora more intriguing. There's an untold story there, and I'm interested to know about it.

For Zoe's portrayals, yes, I agree that for me it's perplexing as to why anyone would say they are alike. They actually wanted Zoe to play Gamora 'alien like' and she suggested playing her more like a regular person that just has these kickass abilities and this past. I think she made the right choice. If I were making any comparisons to how she's played characters in the past, I think how she played Gamora is far closer to how she played Uhura than Netyri, and I don't think she played them the same.

I wasn't trying to suggest that you don't like Zoe, so I'm sorry if you got that impression. Maybe Gamora will get better development in the next film, but I liked her in this one. I'm glad you like Avatar, and I hope the next one works out well too.

sigpic

Comment

I never saw the new Star Trek, and have no intention to. Not my cup of tea. Not a particular fan of JJ Abrams' work.

Looking forward to the next Avatar. As a big fan of 3D animation/special effects, Avatar is just about the highest you can go.

Any of the following Guardians films will be watched on my TV in my couch.

Comment

I liked Avatar due to the technology in the film {full 3D interactive holographic computers ? HECK YES I WANT ONE}

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                  "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                  "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    I never saw the new Star Trek, and have no intention to. Not my cup of tea. Not a particular fan of JJ Abrams' work.
                    I liked the first Star Trek film but not the second. The rest of his work (that I've seen) is touch and go/spotty to me.

Looking forward to the next Avatar. As a big fan of 3D animation/special effects, Avatar is just about the highest you can go.

Any of the following Guardians films will be watched on my TV in my couch.
                    Yeah, but it's sad that's really the only reason to see it. I saw the first one as a rental, and it was okay. Mostly meh. I was later told that I'd missed the main reason to see the film at all. Everybody loves the visuals, and I was told they only truly come to life in the right way in the theater (in 3D). James Cameron has made a name for himself in pushing the bounds of innovation with special effects. I wish the next movie success, but out of the three franchises, I'm most interested in Guardians at the moment. Didn't expect that would be the case.

sigpic

Comment

Ah yes, 3D must be watched in 3D... which I can't do at home, but that's okay. I waved the grass away in the cinema.

Comment

Ya'll have been busy in here.
                        sigpic

Comment

isn't she lovely

sigpic
                          Fun fan fic . Check it out at stargatenexus.com or on FF.net

Comment

Always.

Comment

She truly is a beauty.
                              sigpic

Comment

sigpic
                                Fun fan fic . Check it out at stargatenexus.com or on FF.net

Comment

Working...
                                X