Clear All

Fic Rec #24 - Definitely Not Friendly, by Tielan
    (AO3) (Fanfiction.net)
    Word Count:
    ~3300
    Rating: PG-13/Gen
    Characters: Teyla, John, Season 1 team.
    Spoilers: Season one
    Author's Summary: Failure was not an option. Especially not today.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Comment

Fic Rec #25 - Refugees in Rivertown, by Friendshipper/Sholio
      Word Count:
      ~5400
      Characters: Teyla, original characters.
      Spoilers: Set in S5 or later.
      Author's Summary: Young Lona and her sisters are orphans and charnel pickers, making their living by stripping dead bodies. But one day they find a woman who is not yet dead ... a woman from another world.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

Dang it, there's just not enough time in the day. I promise I'll get to these!

sigpic

Comment

Fic Rec #26 - To Sing For, by siegeofangels
          Word Count:
          ~1000
          Rating: G/Gen
          Characters: Teyla, Elizabeth, John, Rodney. Teyla POV.
          Spoilers: Could be set anytime in the first three seasons I think.
          Author's Summary: Teyla and music.
          - Life after Stargate -
          sigpic

Comment

Continuing on the music theme.....

Fic Rec #27 - Songs of Athos, by Friendshipper/Sholio
            Word Count:
            ~3000
            Characters: Teyla, John, Aiden, other S1 characters.
            Spoilers: Season 1, probably before The Storm/The Eye.
            Author's Summary: Teyla discovers Earth music -- and rediscovers her own.
            - Life after Stargate -
            sigpic

Comment

I have still to answer those questions on Rising. Iz too lazy to go look for the questions the now so you'll have to wait
              sigpic

Comment

Fic Rec #28 - To All Things An Ending, by Tielan
                (Livejournal) (Fanfiction.net)
                Word Count: ~1800
                Characters: Teyla, Elizabeth. Teyla POV.
                Spoilers: Episode tag for Sunday
                Author's Summary: Death is a constant companion to most races of the Pegasus galaxy. In the end, the Pegasus races remember not how a person died, but how they lived.
                - Life after Stargate -
                sigpic

Comment

Bookmarked. It's not too long and Teyla POV sounds nice.

I read the first of 26 chapters ( ) for the THE THERMOPYLAE fic, and it's interesting. I'll take a while to get through it though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers.

@Linda

Don't worry. I'll be happy to read your insights when you have time.

And just so you don't have to look, here are the questions:

1. What was your favorite Teyla Emmagan scene in this episode, and why?

2. How did Teyla grow as a character in this episode, or how do you think she could have grown by this point in the series?

3. What is your overall impression of Teyla Emmagan in this episode and at this point in the series? Please reference her in terms of team dynamic, bonds with other characters, her background, significance, etc.

4. Writing Rating (Scale of 1-5)

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post
                    I read the first of 26 chapters ( ) for the THE THERMOPYLAE fic, and it's interesting. I'll take a while to get through it though. Thanks for the recommendation.
                    You're welcome. It is a long fic.

Fic Rec #29 - The Crackpots and These Women, by Caladria
                    Storylinks:
                    (Livejournal) (Fanfiction.net)
                    Word Count: ~1100
                    Characters: Sam, Teyla, mention of others.
                    Spoilers: General Season Four
                    Author's Summary: Sam and Teyla, conversation under fire.
                    - Life after Stargate -
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh cool, thanks AT4L You're encouraging my laziness

hmm, that's hard to pick. If I had to choose one I'd say the scene on the Wraith ship where she was ready to sacrifice herself for her people. Die for them if necessary.

2. How did Teyla grow as a character in this episode, or how do you think she could have grown by this point in the series?

Well as it's the first ep I think this question in this case is moot. But we did see the good leader and strong warrior in her from this early in the show.

3. What is your overall impression of Teyla Emmagan in this episode and at this point in the series? Please reference her in terms of team dynamic, bonds with other characters, her background, significance, etc.

My impression of her was a leader who would do anything to help and save any one of her people, even die for them if necessary. A strong leader. She is the daughter of Tagan after all Who was her mother? Father? Auntie? Second cousin on her father's side? *snicker*

I think she bonded with John first, didn't really see her interact with anybody else other than her own people.

I'll give it a 4
                      sigpic

Comment

@Maxbo

Great post! You insights were well worth the wait.

@ Everybody

I don't know if anyone wants to keep doing this, but if we do, would it be alright to start from the beginning. I've been wanting to do a complete rewatch of SGA, and this will give me the incentive to do it.

Here are a list of the Teyla-centric episodes that we all decided on:

Season One

Rising 1&2
                        Suspicion
                        Letters From Pegasus
                        The Gift
                        The Siege 1&2

Season Two

The Siege 3
                        Conversion
                        The Long Goodbye
                        Critical Mass
                        Michael

Season Three

Sateda
                        Phantoms
                        Echoes
                        The Ark
                        Sunday
                        Submersion
                        First Strike
                        (Any others?)

Season Four

Adrift/Lifeline
                        Doppelganger
                        Tabula Rasa
                        Missing
                        The Seer
                        Spoils of War
                        Quarantine
                        The Kindred Pt. 1 (we can add pt. 2 as well since it's a 2 part episode)

Season Five

Search and Rescue
                        The Daedalus Variations
                        Ghost in the Machine
                        The Queen
                        Prodigal
                        Enemy At The Gate (added simply because it's the series finale)

IDK, it might be good to try this again.

I'll go ahead and watch Rising 1+2 in the next few days and post answers to the general questions:

Thanks for the pics and the other links and additions everyone!!!

Cheers.
                        Life is still crazy, but I will cover all of these episodes. Thanks for spearheading this.

Originally posted by Jeyla4ever View Post
                        [/spoilers]

I know that I wasn't here when this was discussed, but why aren't you doing all the episodes? Even if Teyla didn't have a great role in all of the episodes, *shakes head in bewilderment* I think it would give us an opportunity to discuss even further how she could have been used and come up with some great alternatives and maybe even fics of our own or missing scenes.

Just a thought.
                        I think we decided not to do all of the episodes because it's a lot of episodes. IDK, the number of episodes where people felt that Teyla was used is somewhere around 30, maybe? That way it doesn't seem like too much. Also, for certain episodes that are really only about other characters (Vegas, Grace Under Pressure, etc.) There wouldn't really be anything Teyla related to talk about.

But if everyone wants to do a complete rewatch, I'm all for it. That'll work too.
                        I'll do whatever you all decide. It's all good as far as I'm concerned.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                          The fun thing about doing these recs is that not only am I getting to review old favorites - I'm finding some excellent stories I've never read before. Like this next rec, written for artword a couple of years ago. The accompanying art is also beautiful.

Fic Rec #15 - Arbor, by Siriaeve
                          (Livejournal link) (AO3 link) (Author's website)
                          Word Count: 6250
                          Characters: Teyla, team. Teyla POV.
                          Spoilers: Set sometime post S5.
                          Author's Summary: The trees told her first. Ronon took point, and John and Rodney trailed after him, bickering absentmindedly about something inconsequential, but Teyla paused and listened, looking from the ruins around them to the distant tree line and back again.
                          Finding so much Teyla fic that I've never read before is a wonderful and unexpected bonus of your posting these Teyla-fic recs for me too. Before now, I thought I had read almost all of the Teyla-related or Teyla-focused fics available. Of the fics you've recommended so far, there is only one that I had read before - the Teyla/Jeanne Fic. I'm loving this because it's like finding a treasure trove of hidden Teyla-fic! I had no idea that there were so many different writers who got Teyla's voice.

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                          Is it too much? Do you all want me to stop? Let me know if you do - I don't want to be pointlessly spamming the thread or annoying people.

I'll go ahead and post one of the recs for today since I'd already picked it out, but if y'all want me to stop say the word.

Fic Rec #17 - Ode de Terre, by Aurora Novarum.
                          (livejournal) (dreamwidth) (AO3)
                          Word Count: ~8,800
                          Rating: PG/Gen
                          Characters: Teyla, Rodney, John, Ronon, Elizabeth. Teyla POV.
                          Spoilers: Set soon after Season 3's "Tao of Rodney"
                          Author's Summary: Why are Milky Way Stargate chevrons etched into an old cave?

This is another new one for me. Aurora Novarum is primarily known as an SG-1 author, but I just happened to stumble across this while digging around on AO3. Very good fic - excellent portrayal of the team.
                          Don't even think about stopping.

In fact, I would love it if others would join you. For the record, I enjoy all kinds of Teyla fic, including ship, so if you all have recs, bring 'em on!.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana

Comment

I'm glad you're enjoying the recs, maxbo!

Rec #30 - Midwinter Burning, by Eildon Rhymer
                            Storylinks:
                            (Livejournal) (Website) (Fanfiction.net)
                            Word Count: ~3700
                            Characters: Team, Teyla POV
                            Spoilers: Set between This Mortal Coil and BAMSR, so spoilers up to TMC.
                            Author's Summary: Teyla persuades her team to celebrate midwinter, and to find some hope in the darkness.
                            Last edited by Killdeer; 02 September 2010, 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            sigpic

Comment

This is for maxbo, because if I recall correctly, she is a Teyla/Rodney shipper.

Fic Rec #31 - Jumper Down by Friendshipper/Sholio
                              Storylinks:
                              (Livejournal) (AO3)
                              Word Count: ~9800
                              Rating: PG-13
                              Pairing: Rodney/Teyla
                              Characters: Teyla, Rodney, appearances by Ronon, John, and Keller. Teyla POV.
                              Spoilers: None really
                              Author's Summary: "I hurt my head," Teyla said aloud, because hearing the words spoken made them easier to remember. She had already forgotten once, and hadn't understood why she kept falling down, until she raised her hand to touch her scalp and brought it away with the fingers slick and dark in the rain.
                              Notes: Assumes established relationship for Rodney/Teyla, and lots of whump for both. Written for the 2010 Sticks and Snark ficathon.
                              - Life after Stargate -
                              sigpic

Comment

Fic Rec #32 - Arm's Length, by Bladelover
                                Storylinks:
                                (livejournal) (Fanfiction.net)
                                Word Count: ~1200
                                Characters: S4 Teyla through Ronon's POV, others make appearances.
                                Spoilers: Spoilers for Missing and The Seer, set pre-BAMSR
                                Author's Summary: In the wake of Missing and The Seer, Teyla has begun to distance herself from a member of her team.
                                Last edited by Killdeer; 04 September 2010, 06:05 PM.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X