Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maxbo View Post

Welcome, Atlantis4Life. Your post looks good

Yep, the main issue I had with SGA is that the writers didn't write more for all the characters. Instead, they were only interested in writing for their favorites and the audience be damned. IMO, they were too reluctant to leave their comfort zone and since they all seem to have the same opinions, there was no diversity of thought in the writers room. And, what's worse is that they didn't seem to see this as a problem because whenever this issue was raised, they dismissed it.

I've lost count of the number of times posters to Joe Mallozzi's blog asked about when Teyla would get more development and he would dismiss the comments by either claiming that a big Teyla storyline was coming or that Teyla had already had a big storyline that we had somehow missed.

Martin Gero was also dismissive when he claimed that a character like Keller was needed because they (the writers) couldn't continue to write for McKay and Sheppard forever - overlooking the fact that there were more main characters than McKay and Sheppard on the show. I still find it amazing that that he didn't even consider writing for Teyla and Ronon as a solution to freshening up the storylines. And, I'm also amazed that he didn't realize that just because they gave Sheppard a lot of screentime doesn't mean that they gave Sheppard a lot of development.

And, I can't forget Paul Mullie's confirmation that they found Teyla and Ronon the hardest characters to write for. What a surprise that the characters they found the most difficult to write got the least amount of focus. It's truly unfortunate that SGA had such lazy and arrogant writers because, despite a great cast, it never realized its full potential.

And, speaking of Carson, I'm still disappointed that we didn't get a Teyla and Carson moment in Season 5. At the end of Season 4, it looked like we would get something, but that was just a smokescreen because in Season 5, we got nothing - nothing at all.

In fact, as much as I wanted Carson to return, I was disappointed to see the writers treat him as badly as they had Teyla and Ronon. Instead of focusing on his close ties with Teyla and the others, the writers just used Carson as a device to further their lame plots, with no consideration for the overall good of the series.

Thanks for the welcome. And, boy-oh-boy! You just said everything I've been thinking for a while. Where to start? I'll echo bluealien in saying that writers - no - professional writers should have more imagination than only being able to write for characters that are just like them, or characters that are their favorites. I'm not trying to be mean, but this is just true. They did have a lot to work with but, somehow it never worked out. I wish that they could have worked with the cast that they had during the first couple of years of the show:

Primary Characters - Sheppard, Teyla, McKay, Ford, Ronon, Weir.
    Secondary Characters - Zelenka and Lorne.

These were the characters that I wanted to see stories about. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

And, I too believe that an SGA movie is only a good idea if it has a good story to tell with all of the characters being written for. Now, it doesn't look like a movie is going to happen, and that makes me a little sad. SGA had wonderful actors that really contributed to how great their characters were/are.

I think that the "big Teyla storyline" not really happening is the same as them maybe thinking that because they gave Sheppard a lot of face time, that was the same as developing his character. What I saw was Teyla being used the the "big Michael storyline". She was kidnapped, rescued, and then he attempted to take her and Torren with him again. In all of this, I think we learned more about Michael and his evolution than we learned new things about Teyla and/or how she developed.

I also expected there to be a really good Beckett/Teyla connection. I mean, after Teyla & Beckett were rescued, they were the only 2 people on the expedition (even though technically the cloned Beckett never was) that now knew what it was like to have a bit of Wraith DNA in them that allowed them to be connected to the Wraith mentally, and to operate Wraith technology. This also made Beckett a double force to be reckoned with because he also possessed the Ancient gene too. Imagine the storylines that could have been created with just that! I was hoping to see Teyla teach Carson how to resist being controlled by the Wraith the way he was controlled by Michael in The Kindred Part II. When we first met Teyla and she explored her gift in Season 1, she had problems with controlling her power/connection to the Wraith, but she taught herself how to control that power and use it for good. She and Carson really could have bonded more over him learning how to do that too. Oh well, another opportunity lost I guess.

Keller was a bad idea. I'm just going to leave it at that. Also, I hope they put McKay back with Katie Brown, that's if he's going to be with anyone.

I really do hope that TPTB can remember what made SGA great, and write a good movie, and get all of the cast together to do this. I really miss SGA.

Comment

@Falcon Horus & CazzBlade

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'm happy to join the group!

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

TEYLA CHALLENGE!!

Name your FAVORITE Teyla scene (can be with another character or just she herself on her own) but the scene must be from between Risisng, and First Strike, seasons four and five seem to have been a mistake (personally speaking)

Rule is simple, it is only ONE SCENE that must be your top scene!
        I have two. And, I agree with you for the most part about Seasons 4 and 5. They had their gems, but they also had a lot of problems.

Scene 1: In Rising 1&2 when Teyla and John are in the caves. I love the time that they spend together in there, and when he puts the necklace around her neck. That was pure magic!

Scene 2: In this case, I'm breaking your rule - but not much! That's my defense! It's from Doppelganger, which is only the 4th episode of Season 4. The Heightmeyer tragedy has recently happened, and John is in his room laying on his bed. You can tell that he's thinking and going back-and-forth over something. Finally, he decides to get up and leave. As soon as John opens the door, Teyla is standing right in front of him. He tells her "I was just about to come and see you ... but I wasn't sure if you wanted to see me." Then, Teyla wraps her arms around him and he pats her on the back. That moment is so beautiful. The fact that they were both thinking about each other at the exact same time, and that they were going to see each other at the exact same time, is wonderful. It says so much about their connection. I just love it. For Season 4, that was one of the gems in my book, for sure!

Okay, did my defense work? Please don't stone me.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post
          Okay, did my defense work? Please don't stone me.
          At least you manage to write Kate's name right... that's something.

The way John is so incredibly awkward in his hugging - reminds me a lot of myself. Every time someone flings themselves around him, he goes all stiff and doesn't quite seem to know what to do next. Like hugging a tree...
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            At least you manage to write Kate's name right... that's something.

The way John is so incredibly awkward in his hugging - reminds me a lot of myself. Every time someone flings themselves around him, he goes all stiff and doesn't quite seem to know what to do next. Like hugging a tree...
            Thanks Falcon Horus! I need all the help I can get. I'm new and already breaking the rules. I'll get better though - promise!

As far as being like John is concerned, I'm sure everyone knows that you care, or you wouldn't allow yourself to stand there and be hugged. John keeps his feelings so bottled up inside to the point where it sometimes makes me feel for the guy. Maybe this is what military life requires, though... I suspect that it is. I can't wait for the day (if it ever comes) when he finally lets his true feelings become known to Teyla. Ain't I a shipper!

Comment

Everyone at one point or another has a fave ship they like bestm, and I agreem, John is a horrid hugger, he looks so silly though in Doppleganger, (I admit it I only watched S4 for Doppleganger & Last Man and S5 for S& R and also EatG so yeah)

And yeah, both scenes you mentioned are great, need to rewatch Doppleganger soon as my library gets the danged seasons >.< they have two and three, but not one, four or five >.<

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

*covers ears from all the SGA talk*

Hardwired caps
                Spoiler:

*runs out*
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                  *runs out*
                  *trips Linda* STAY!!

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Sweet, in the same scene as Cuba Gooding Jr. Must have been awesome.

Comment

*trips Linda* STAY!!
                      OW!!!!! HEY, who tripped me up *looks up* Oh, kitty *grabs kitty and huggle squishes*

Sweet, in the same scene as Cuba Gooding Jr. Must have been awesome.
                      I haven't actually got round to watching the whole movie, just flicked through capping Rachel's scenes Still uploading *looks at PB* Yep, it's taking it's time
                      sigpic

Comment

OW!!!!! HEY, who tripped me up *looks up* Oh, kitty *grabs kitty and huggle squishes*
                        O.o!!! *begins to gag* Linda........ *frantically triesto get lindas attention as self is getting the life huggled out of her, When Linda finally sees self, self says*............. Need air!

Comment

*starts pouncing Awinita's chest to resucitate the kitten*

Comment

O.o!!! *begins to gag* Linda........ *frantically triesto get lindas attention as self is getting the life huggled out of her, When Linda finally sees self, self says*............. Need air!
                            Oh...Sorry.... *releases Princess kitty*
                            sigpic

Comment

*starts pouncing Awinita's chest to resucitate the kitten*
                              Oh...Sorry.... *releases Princess kitty*
                              *iz bounced on* O.o

*comes too a bit* Iz OK

Favorite Teyla scene? (seasons four and five are not included )

Comment

*iz bounced on* O.o

*comes too a bit* Iz OK

Favorite Teyla scene? (seasons four and five are not included )
                                There was a season four and five?

hmmm, favourite Teyla scene....Um....Any scene that she was actually in What? *innocent smile*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X