Rachel Luttrell/Teyla Emmagan WOW Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evil Clown of Apocalypse View Post
    Is this the one,which other members of the cast also trying to speak French?
    So cute,thanks for posting
    Yes it's the same vid.
    sigpic
    Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
      Hi all,

Just popping in to let everyone know we're having a Holiday Open House over at the Women of the Gate community and would love for you to stop by.

Fics, pics, icons, vids - all are welcome - new or old, festive or not. We're just celebrating the ladies!

We also have a snazzy new poll for the 2010 Ficathon and we're adding character profiles for all the ladies (Teyla's will be up by tomorrow - we're trying not to inundate the flists by posting them all today ).

You'll find the rules for posting, news on the character profiles and the new poll all efficiently included in this single entry here

Merry Christmas!
      Thanks for posting. I really like what I have seen of the community so far.

Merry Christmas!

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      Omg a thread about Teyla aka Rachel Luttrell...... How did I miss this?

I thought she was one of the great things to happen to Atlantis. A very beautiful addition to the cast. Plus she's an atheltic looking woman, and I find these kind of women terribly lovely to watch.
      I totally agree with you. She became an instant fav of mines. I love strong female characters (ie Aeryn Sun, Buffy, etc.) and Teyla was so such a strong female character. Yet her potential/character development was bearly tapped by the writers. I believe the writers for the show really did not do enough for her character and a couple other characters in IMO. Yet Rachel was able to bring so much to this character inspite of that.

Originally posted by Probie View Post
      I think is my second post here. Just the time to share with you two caps from a french documentary.

Her face when she tries to speak French.
      http://i15.servimg.com/u/f15/14/45/27/11/vlcsna15.jpg

And during her little interview
      http://i15.servimg.com/u/f15/14/45/27/11/vlcsna16.jpg
      Love the pics. Thanks for posting them. Would have love to see the documentary.
      sigpic
      Sigs made by the talented Cazzblade, Donna, Jeyla, Linda, Luciana, Mayra, Mrs.B, Padme
      Scifan, Teylafan, WraithLord & YC & me.

Thanks for the memory to the cast and crew of Stargate Atlantis.
      WraithLord - R.I.P.

Comment

Probie, those pics of Rachel are hilarious. Especially the first one.

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
        I agree. As long as Teyla is the focus, I don't have a problem with posters talking about ship. And, what I mean by Teyla-focus is that the emphasis should be on Teyla as an individual and not as just part of a ship.
        Yup, that's what I meant. Like if you were to talk about say....Sheyla or something you would talk about Teyla and how she reacted to it and what not. Instead of talking about her in relation to John. If that made any sense.

I'm still beyond disappointed that TPTB didn't use Rachel's pregnancy as an opportunity to explore Athosian culture and give us a taste of Teyla's life before, and outside, of Atlantis. I'll admit that I wish they had never included the pregnancy in the show, however, since they were determined to do so, I was hoping that I would find out more about Teyla and the Athosian lifestyle.

Instead, they used this storyline to try to force Teyla into an out-of-character soccer mom role and to depict a bizarre, chemistry-free, out of nowhere thing that I can't even call a relationship because the writers didn't give it enough thought to even try to make it somewhat believable. Kanaan was a bland, forgettable character that brought nothing of interest to SGA and it's almost frightening that TPTB thought Teyla fans would be satisfied with this crap storyline.
        Kanaan was a joke. In my opinion they never had a shread of chemistry period. TPTB just threw him in there and tried to make it work. It failed miserably.

It's too bad that they didn't use fanfic writers to come up with ideas for Teyla because, over the years, I've read several interesting fanfics where the authors had created their versions of Athosian culture and how they, the Athosians, dealt with relationships and procreation. In each case those non-paid writers did a much better job in creating a rich background for Teyla than SGA's writers.
        I know eh? It's kinda funny if you think about it that there are such good fanfic writers out there that are better at writing Teyla as a character and her culture better than the actual writers of SGA.

Yep, I agree that Rachel was one of the great things about Atlantis and it was refreshing to see an athletic, graceful woman who looked like she was capable of kicking butt -- kicking butt on screen. In fact, I remember reading that originally, Teyla wasn't supposed to be a butt-kicking warrior, but that because of Rachel's dance background and carriage, the stunt coordinator thought she would be able to handle more physically demanding training.
        That's what I love about Teyla, is that she doesn't need a man to save her, she can take care of herself. I mean sometimes she does need someone to save her but if it comes down to a fight situation she can handle herself.

Sigs by sarah_jones on Livejournal.
        My FanFiction and LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by Hope24 View Post
          I totally agree with you. She became an instant fav of mines. I love strong female characters (ie Aeryn Sun, Buffy, etc.) and Teyla was so such a strong female character. Yet her potential/character development was bearly tapped by the writers. I believe the writers for the show really did not do enough for her character and a couple other characters in IMO. Yet Rachel was able to bring so much to this character inspite of that.
          couldn't agree with you more.Especially in later seasons,there wasn't enough of her

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
            Hi all,

Just popping in to let everyone know we're having a Holiday Open House over at the Women of the Gate community and would love for you to stop by.

Fics, pics, icons, vids - all are welcome - new or old, festive or not. We're just celebrating the ladies!

We also have a snazzy new poll for the 2010 Ficathon and we're adding character profiles for all the ladies (Teyla's will be up by tomorrow - we're trying not to inundate the flists by posting them all today ).

You'll find the rules for posting, news on the character profiles and the new poll all efficiently included in this single entry here

Merry Christmas!
            Cool! Thanks for posting this.

Originally posted by Probie View Post
            Maybe I can post this later. I just have to know how to extract a passage from a video.lol
            I look forward to seeing this clip. Thanks.

Originally posted by SGAFirenity View Post
            Yup, that's what I meant. Like if you were to talk about say....Sheyla or something you would talk about Teyla and how she reacted to it and what not. Instead of talking about her in relation to John. If that made any sense.
            Yep, you're making sense.

Kanaan was a joke. In my opinion they never had a shread of chemistry period. TPTB just threw him in there and tried to make it work. It failed miserably.
            I agree that there was never any sexual chemistry between Kanaan and Teyla, but there were a couple of teeny, tiny moments where I thought the writers would try to create a believable friendship between them. Unfortunately, I now believe that whatever interesting moments I saw (or thought I saw) were due to Rachel, not the writing. It's a shame that the poor actor playing Kanaan wasn't given an opportunity to play a real character.

I know eh? It's kinda funny if you think about it that there are such good fanfic writers out there that are better at writing Teyla as a character and her culture better than the actual writers of SGA.
            Yes, it's pathetic that fanfic-Teyla was often more fleshed out than on-screen-Teyla. I wish SGA's writers had looked beyond themselves for writing help when they realized they couldn't write for Teyla. Because in addition to making Teyla fans happier, I believe that this would also have benefited the entire show because it would have led to fresh storylines.

That's what I love about Teyla, is that she doesn't need a man to save her, she can take care of herself. I mean sometimes she does need someone to save her but if it comes down to a fight situation she can handle herself.
            Indeed.
            sigpic
            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Did you guys see this. Rachel has a new note on her site:

http://www.rachelluttrell.com/note.asp

Sigs by sarah_jones on Livejournal.
              My FanFiction and LiveJournal

Comment

Cool, thanks for posting this update. At first, I was confused about her going south to visit family comment, until I remembered that her father is from the south - Louisiana, if I remember correctly.

I hope we get news soon of which con she plans to attend next.
                sigpic
                Sig by Luciana

Comment

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

Thanks for posting SGAFirenity.

I was checking my LJ and I saw a fic by Tielan.

http://community.livejournal.com/sga_santa/260130.html

I haven't had the pleasure of reading it yet, hopefully sometime today, but I believe it has Teyla's whumpage for those who like that kind of thing.

**But I issue a warning it is a John/Teyla fic**
                  sigpic
                  Sigs made by the talented Cazzblade, Donna, Jeyla, Linda, Luciana, Mayra, Mrs.B, Padme
                  Scifan, Teylafan, WraithLord & YC & me.

Thanks for the memory to the cast and crew of Stargate Atlantis.
                  WraithLord - R.I.P.

Comment

I haven't had the pleasure of reading it yet, hopefully sometime today, but I believe it has Teyla's whumpage for those who like that kind of thing.

Thanks for the rec Hope..
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, it's pathetic that fanfic-Teyla was often more fleshed out than on-screen-Teyla. I wish SGA's writers had looked beyond themselves for writing help when they realized they couldn't write for Teyla. Because in addition to making Teyla fans happier, I believe that this would also have benefited the entire show because it would have led to fresh storylines.
                      Hi, I'm new here and I have to agree completely with you. I don't think they wrote enough for the all of the individual characters or the team. I would have loved to see Teyla fleshed out more on the show. She and Beckett were my favorites. I think some extra/new writing blood would have helped with this. The Stargate people created a wonderful show and wonderful characters with Atlantis. I wish they had done more with it.

I hope this looks right, if my reply looks funny it's because I'm still figuring this posting stuff out here.

Comment

Happy New Year, everyone!

Thanks for the fic rec, Hope. I love Tielan's work because whether she writes ship or gen, she always writes Teyla (and the other characters) well.

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post
                        Hi, I'm new here and I have to agree completely with you. I don't think they wrote enough for the all of the individual characters or the team. I would have loved to see Teyla fleshed out more on the show. She and Beckett were my favorites. I think some extra/new writing blood would have helped with this. The Stargate people created a wonderful show and wonderful characters with Atlantis. I wish they had done more with it.

I hope this looks right, if my reply looks funny it's because I'm still figuring this posting stuff out here.
                        Welcome, Atlantis4Life. Your post looks good

Yep, the main issue I had with SGA is that the writers didn't write more for all the characters. Instead, they were only interested in writing for their favorites and the audience be damned. IMO, they were too reluctant to leave their comfort zone and since they all seem to have the same opinions, there was no diversity of thought in the writers room. And, what's worse is that they didn't seem to see this as a problem because whenever this issue was raised, they dismissed it.

I've lost count of the number of times posters to Joe Mallozzi's blog asked about when Teyla would get more development and he would dismiss the comments by either claiming that a big Teyla storyline was coming or that Teyla had already had a big storyline that we had somehow missed.

Martin Gero was also dismissive when he claimed that a character like Keller was needed because they (the writers) couldn't continue to write for McKay and Sheppard forever - overlooking the fact that there were more main characters than McKay and Sheppard on the show. I still find it amazing that that he didn't even consider writing for Teyla and Ronon as a solution to freshening up the storylines. And, I'm also amazed that he didn't realize that just because they gave Sheppard a lot of screentime doesn't mean that they gave Sheppard a lot of development.

And, I can't forget Paul Mullie's confirmation that they found Teyla and Ronon the hardest characters to write for. What a surprise that the characters they found the most difficult to write got the least amount of focus. It's truly unfortunate that SGA had such lazy and arrogant writers because, despite a great cast, it never realized its full potential.

And, speaking of Carson, I'm still disappointed that we didn't get a Teyla and Carson moment in Season 5. At the end of Season 4, it looked like we would get something, but that was just a smokescreen because in Season 5, we got nothing - nothing at all.

In fact, as much as I wanted Carson to return, I was disappointed to see the writers treat him as badly as they had Teyla and Ronon. Instead of focusing on his close ties with Teyla and the others, the writers just used Carson as a device to further their lame plots, with no consideration for the overall good of the series.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana

Comment

Happy New Year, everyone!

Thanks for the fic rec, Hope. I love Tielan's work because whether she writes ship or gen, she always writes Teyla (and the other characters) well.

Welcome, Atlantis4Life. Your post looks good

Yep, the main issue I had with SGA is that the writers didn't write more for all the characters. Instead, they were only interested in writing for their favorites and the audience be damned. IMO, they were too reluctant to leave their comfort zone and since they all seem to have the same opinions, there was no diversity of thought in the writers room. And, what's worse is that they didn't seem to see this as a problem because whenever this issue was raised, they dismissed it.

I've lost count of the number of times posters to Joe Mallozzi's blog asked about when Teyla would get more development and he would dismiss the comments by either claiming that a big Teyla storyline was coming or that Teyla had already had a big storyline that we had somehow missed.

Martin Gero was also dismissive when he claimed that a character like Keller was needed because they (the writers) couldn't continue to write for McKay and Sheppard forever - overlooking the fact that there were more main characters than McKay and Sheppard on the show. I still find it amazing that that he didn't even consider writing for Teyla and Ronon as a solution to freshening up the storylines. And, I'm also amazed that he didn't realize that just because they gave Sheppard a lot of screentime doesn't mean that they gave Sheppard a lot of development.

And, I can't forget Paul Mullie's confirmation that they found Teyla and Ronon the hardest characters to write for. What a surprise that the characters they found the most difficult to write got the least amount of focus. It's truly unfortunate that SGA had such lazy and arrogant writers because, despite a great cast, it never realized its full potential.

And, speaking of Carson, I'm still disappointed that we didn't get a Teyla and Carson moment in Season 5. At the end of Season 4, it looked like we would get something, but that was just a smokescreen because in Season 5, we got nothing - nothing at all.

In fact, as much as I wanted Carson to return, I was disappointed to see the writers treat him as badly as they had Teyla and Ronon. Instead of focusing on his close ties with Teyla and the others, the writers just used Carson as a device to further their lame plots, with no consideration for the overall good of the series.
                          Excellent points Maxbo... they certaintly had an excellent cast but the majority were underused even their leading man. Its pretty sad that a so called bunch of professional writers admitted to only being able to write for one character. I would have thought that being a writer would involve having a pretty good imagination and not only being able to write for a character you can relate to or live your own little fantasies through.

Teyla had so much potential and it seems fanfic writers were able to flesh her out so much better than the lazy attempts by the writers. Her relationship with Kanaan has been explained in many fanfics and most recently by Wedjatqi in her fic The Storm which explained Teyla's pregnany without distroying her character as the writers ended up doing.

I'm not sure I even want a movie now from these same writers, who would most likely continue to butcher the characters anyway. I am looking forward to the new books a lot more as at least the characters are in the hands of writers who love Teyla's character..
                          sigpic

Comment

Happy New Teyla Year to all!

Welcome to Atlantis4life! Always good to see new Teyla-fans emerge from the fandom. Curious to see your side.

Maxbo & BlueAlien - good points!
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Happy New Year everyone!

Good to see you in here too Atlantis4Life
                              What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

I look forward to seeing this clip. Thanks.
                                I swear I don't forget you. I have to find some time and I will post those vids.

I agree with all of you about the fact she was underused. Rachel is an excellent actress and it's a shame they don't give her a story.
                                Teyla had potential but writers don't use it. It's maybe for this I'm not a big fan of Teyla. Ok I know it's strange to say that on this thread. But hey I'm not saying I hate her. I love when she's used ("The Queen" for example)
                                About her relationship with Kanaan, I was happy to see her with someone. I hoped this story would give her some things to do. And the fact, he was an athosian was a good point for me. I always wanted to learn more thing about them and I hoped it would be the case when Teyla was with Kanaan. But finally, Kanaan was underused too. It was not a surprise. TPTB can't write relationship and women. But it's another topic. I will stop my OT.lol The show is over so we can't change the show and the story even with the books.
                                Another thing, I can't wait to see Rachel again. Even if I'm not a fan of her character, I discovered thanks to this show a great actress and I want to see more about her talent.

Now you can hate me.lol

Oh I forgot: Happy New Year!!!!
                                sigpic
                                Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                X