X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WraithTech
    replied
    Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
    maybe they have more than one way of doing that....that is where imagination comes in
    True, the ways don't have to be mutually exclusive. There are good fanfics out there with variations of both (and even more ways).

Leave a comment:

• DarkenLycht
    replied
    Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
    Ah, the joys of speculation about Wraith reproduction. With the wikia accepting the tie-ins as canon, there are often contradictions about this topic even within the same wiki article, because even the books from the same publisher have radically different ideas and each wiki writer is looking at a different book. It goes back how the show's producers didn't show us much about the Wraith.
    I am just thinking it would be that way because otherwise it would be a bit tricky to get hybrids the natural way and then, we could assume about your original question that there can be no offspring other than maybe as an experiment
    I am thinking it is like with humans because Wraiths are not like insects and humanoid so it is quite possible that they can also reproduce that way...maybe they have more than one way of doing that....that is where imagination comes in
    Last edited by DarkenLycht; 17 July 2018, 03:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WraithTech
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I also recall a comment made by WraithTech in a different thread that talked about the fact that there isn't that many ''normal wraiths'' out there.
    I don't remember using that phrase, but if whoever said it was talking about there seeming to be a lower number of officers to the masked warriors, I think there is such a ratio imbalance and that it is so that the masked warriors do most of the risky work. I have not yet solidified many masked warrior theories as they are mysterious in and of themselves and have differing opinions on clones, normalcy, and mattering who dies, such as clones, which does also include Carson clone. It matters to me if characters die or not. I don't want to join this part of the off-topic convo and only made this post because my name was mentioned and misquoted (not the first time that has happened, including in this thread).
    Last edited by WraithTech; 17 July 2018, 03:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WraithTech
    replied
    I think Wraith can reproduce like humans can, don't take that as a given but in my mind they were always like humans in that
    Ah, the joys of speculation about Wraith reproduction. With the wikia accepting the tie-ins as canon, there are often contradictions about this topic even within the same wiki article, because even the books from the same publisher have radically different ideas and each wiki writer is looking at a different book. It goes back how the show's producers didn't show us much about the Wraith.

Leave a comment:

• Chaka-Z0
    replied
    I think Wraith can reproduce like humans can, don't take that as a given but in my mind they were always like humans in that
    Might be so, but if females are so few as we are led to believe, how could one male Wraith be granted an ''audience'' with a queen? That being said, if the Queens are the only means of reproduction, they could assume complete control over the entire Wraith population!

Also, I understand your point in having children to not let a bloodline or race die out but I do not think that can be the only reason for which to have a child, Some people just want to because they wish to teach at they know and give love to a small being, or want to be loved back in the way only a child will.
    It's always possible that there might be some Wraiths out there that would have children for this reason, but it would surprise me that it's a generalized phenomenon. It's hard to tell since we've never seen any example of wraith intimate relationships, as some posters mentioned previously.

TODD: If I had taken the blame I would have been killed and you would have been held captive. That was not the desired outcome. You must understand: our culture is different from your own. We govern ourselves by different rules. It was important for you to claim ownership of the act of killing the Queen.
    The Queen Season 5
    If we look at the point of immortality I would even say it would be an advantage to have many children so you are not alone when all your friends and associates who are not immortal die
    Humans have short lifespan, therefore the need to reproduce is an inner instinct of our race. We need younger men and women to take over the jobs we had to ensure continuity of our race.

If I'd be immortal I wouldn't wanna stay alone! But, if I try to use a Wraith mindset: if you could live well over 10k years, would you really want to have a bunch of children that could eventually challenge your position of authority in a Hive? If I was in such a position, I would probably only have one child.

We still have no clue how ''real wraiths'' (not the clones) are conceived. If it is through normal breeding, I would agree with you. If it's not and done via a Queen in a process similar to the one we've seen in the cloning facility, I would say it doesn't really matter if a Wraith dies, as long as the Queen survives. I am not even convinced a Queen needs a male wraith to have children. Some insects in our wildlife can switch gender and do it on their own. Why not them?

I also recall a comment made by WraithTech in a different thread that talked about the fact that there isn't that many ''normal wraiths'' out there. My assumption is that they might not want to divide power that easily, since there's a limit to the amount of ''jobs'' in position of authority. If a Queen has indeed complete control, she would probably want to limit the amount of overlords and captains. I can't picture a Wraith being content with being assigned to a Drone jarhead job.

I'm really starting to feel like there's a HUGE part missing in the SGA story.

Leave a comment:

• DarkenLycht
    replied
    That would weave a more complex world-building and make things more compelling. Wraith are already human and insect hybrids-- something both groups often forget.
    I have the feeling though that by most humans on Pegasus Wraith might be considered as useless and annoying as they sure see some insects.

Who knows maybe a child of a Wraith and a human would look less Wraith-like, so that it would be a bit easier to make people see that it's not just for one side but also could understand the needs of the others

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I often wondered about that as well, where are the Wraith children? Wraith couple? Female Wraiths other than queens? The only youngling we've seen was the ''adopted'' baby wraith by the scientist in the forest (forgot which episode). We learned that younger wraiths need to sustain themselves on real food.

Considering the fact that Wraith are immortals, would it be a fair assessment that Wraiths simply don't need to reproduce? Perhaps not on the same level than humans?

Also, I understand your point in having children to not let a bloodline or race die out but I do not think that can be the only reason for which to have a child, Some people just want to because they wish to teach at they know and give love to a small being, or want to be loved back in the way only a child will.
    If we look at the point of immortality I would even say it would be an advantage to have many children so you are not alone when all your friends and associates who are not immortal die
    Last edited by DarkenLycht; 16 July 2018, 09:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chaka-Z0
    replied
    I cannot remember if we ever saw Wraiths children, or that it was mentioned on the show that a human had a child with a Wraith

If such a child existed though I think it would have been seen as a threat, to go back to this thread's topic
    I often wondered about that as well, where are the Wraith children? Wraith couple? Female Wraiths other than queens? The only youngling we've seen was the ''adopted'' baby wraith by the scientist in the forest (forgot which episode). We learned that younger wraiths need to sustain themselves on real food.

Considering the fact that Wraith are immortals, would it be a fair assessment that Wraiths simply don't need to reproduce? Perhaps not on the same level than humans?

Leave a comment:

• WraithTech
    replied
    Would be actually good for a plot line, someone having a child with a Wraith work against the humans to protect their child because they know it is special and could be seen as a threat but they believe it could help to bring peace. Since they know humans/Ancient and Wraiths can live together even in love and hope that their kid can be helping others to see that too
    That would weave a more complex world-building and make things more compelling. Wraith are already human and insect hybrids-- something both groups often forget.

(Clarification: By humans, I meant more so the New Lanteans by the time of the end of SGA and any who knew more about the Wraith. Some Pegasus humans, such as the ones from Zaddik's planet, didn't even know what the Wraith looked like.)
    Last edited by WraithTech; 16 July 2018, 11:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DarkenLycht
    replied
    It's a common short-cut in scifi and fantasy to have the antagonists be suspiciously mostly full-grown, strong, military-age men, with and no families in sight and little known about them.
    That is the "I have nothing to lose" type of enemy rather then the one who does what he does for his family or friends which could raise doubts about the righteousness of their doing in the protagonist

Would be actually good for a plot line, someone having a child with a Wraith work against the humans to protect their child because they know it is special and could be seen as a threat but they believe it could help to bring peace. Since they know humans/Ancient and Wraiths can live together even in love and hope that their kid can be helping others to see that too

Leave a comment:

• WraithTech
    replied
    It's a common short-cut in scifi and fantasy to have the antagonists be suspiciously mostly full-grown, strong, military-age men, with and no families in sight and little known about them.

Leave a comment:

• DarkenLycht
    replied
    They haven't shown us more about Wraiths because they are supposed to be the bad ones. If we knew as much about them as we do about the humans, then it would have been harder to convince people it is OK for them to be just killed

I cannot remember if we ever saw Wraiths children, or that it was mentioned on the show that a human had a child with a Wraith

If such a child existed though I think it would have been seen as a threat, to go back to this thread's topic

Leave a comment:

• Platschu
    replied
    I am better at creating ideas and links between already established story elements. I am too shy to write fan fictions.

What I always missed about the Wraith that they haven't revealed any real Wraith name for individuals and for the tribes. If you remember originally Atlantis would have been on Earth, while the Wraith would have been slept in the Milky Way. They were planning to give them wings or telepathic flying skills, but they had to give up such concepts because of the budget reason.

I also wanted to hear more about Wraith projections, why this skill was developed, how it helps the hunt etc. So basically more about their skills, about their society.... Somehow they always reminded me to the zergs from StarCraft, so I expected we will see more about their pets. Or even the Iratus bugs could have used as bio-replicators in a few stories.

I still want Todd (the odd) to be a regular guest star in a new SG spinoff.
    Last edited by Platschu; 24 August 2018, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WraithTech
    replied
    I was hoping for a fanfic and an Origins film. This is a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• Platschu
    replied
    I am just a fan, so it is not my job to write this Atlantis story.

We only know that they have encountered an unexpected enemy in the galaxy. The viewers could imagine that the hologram must have talked about the Wraith, but what if it was the Iratus bug? Ancient explorers underestimated this little local animal, so they were "consumed" by the Iratus. Then these Ancients turned into the first Wraith, while the only female became the Queen. It was a perfect match as their strong will and inhuman skills rapidly increased the evolution of this new race. Just we have to find a really good reason why they haven't looked for the lost scouts. Maybe the new race was just hiding as the Iratus bug found so much mental willpower that it was their "bio ZPM". So technically every Wraith have got the ATA gene as they are modified Ancients....
    Last edited by Platschu; 24 August 2018, 01:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WraithTech
    replied
    Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    I always wanted to see an Origin story about the Iratus bugs. I wanted to understand how the Wraith was created. That is the reason I believe we should hear a story how an Ancient expedition was "captured" by the Iratus bugs then this Ancient Lady became the first Wraith Queen. It would be amazing to bring back Andee Frizzell as she is the key character of the Wraith. This little Origins story could explain why the Queens look the same as well....
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0969160/
    That sounds perfect for Andee! She goes to a lot of cons, seems to care about the fandom, and would probably be up for the role. So, being an Iratus bugs Origin story, do you think the Ancients created the Iratus bugs and/or the energy being from "Hide and Seek"?
    Last edited by WraithTech; 13 July 2018, 04:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X