Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA Season Six and SGU S3 Comics (American Mythology)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
    Gotcha, they are using the same logic as the legacy writers. I think the show runners said universe was just a few weeks or even days after Atlantis ended. Personally I like this better. Two major events back to back just seems odd to me.
    Yeah, I thought they said the Hammond wasn't ready yet during EatG. Though the Hammond using delivering people to Icarus as a shakedown run would explain the complaint people had about them not using their Asgard Beams in Air.

I thought the person talking to Woolsey was Shen as well, though there is a picture of Ming-Na in the letters page, so she still had a cameo.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
      "Back to Pegasus" picks right where "Enemy at the Gate" left off, which chronologically takes place in Jan/Feb of 2009, the Destiny mission didn't 'happen' until the October of 2009 I believe. They're following the chronology of the air dates of those episodes. So, it's possible for Universe characters to be seen in the lead up.

I'm hopeful that the likenesses will get better over time. I've been following the Charmed comics for years now and they started a bit hit and miss with the main character likenesses, but after a while the artists really got a hang of depicting recognisable representations of the characters without the need for tracing or intense character study. It also helps if it's a single artist doing the issues as they get used to drawing the likenesses and the reader gets used to the artist's interpretations.

If people critique the likenesses enough it could be something that they take more consideration with in the future.

I'm still waiting for my code. I would harass them some more but I'm several hours ahead of AM in regards to time zone so I'd just be shouting into the void at this point. Sigh.
      Actor likenesses shouldn't be a deal breaker for an artist working on a tie-in comic, but being able to differentiate between three separate characters in a panel is. Especially if the reader has to depend on what the character is wearing or dialogue to tell them apart.

For me, an artist's ability to meet a deadline and keep a book shipping on time is much more important than their ability to draw a dead-on Jason Mamoa.

Comment

I agree with you Lorne. I'd much rather the the characters recognisable than dead-on accurate. I thought the likenesses were fine in Issue #1, still haven't got my code for Issue #2 yet though so I can't judge. As long as the comics are on time and have easy to follow stories and artwork then I'm sated for the most part =]

Comment

I'm having issues telling some of the characters apart. For instance, who's the guy with Ronan, teyla and zalenka in issue 1?

Comment

That took me a while to realise as well but I'm pretty sure it's Major Lorne. He looks vaguely similar and is referred to as "Major", so I assumed it was him.

Comment

That took me a while to realise as well but I'm pretty sure it's Major Lorne. He looks vaguely similar and is referred to as "Major", so I assumed it was him.
              Yikes! I didn't recognize the character from my own avatar, but you're probably right.

Comment

Yeah, I assumed it was Lorne but wow...does not look like him at all...

Comment

With how much work are going into these, there were a few pictures and stuff that seemed to be taken directly from the internet. If you look on page 7 there is an ancient terminal and the background is easily taken from the internet, I have had it as my wallpaper for about the last 5 years. It actually made me a little curious so I think I found where it originated from, which I can't be 100% sure of since the links are dead, but I am pretty sure someone on here made it.

Otherwise, I am not really sure if I'm enjoying the story that much. It seems almost rushed with a lot of stuff left out, which leaves me confused a bit. I do hope that these continue, anything is better than nothing.

alteran_standby_screen_saver_by_joshj132-d33kp5o.jpg
                  Last edited by padr49904; 10 July 2016, 11:41 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Finally got my hands on the issue. I have to agree that too much story seemed to be squeezed into a single issue and it seems too quick in its pacing that things can get difficult to follow.

The story itself is very interesting to me though. It seems unlike anything we've ever seen before in Stargate and that excites me. I thought the art was easy enough to follow and the characters were recognisable enough. I'm looking forward to part three to round out the arc and hopefully give us some answers as to what exactly is going on.

I can understand why some people would think that the issue featured Camille Wray, but given the context of the conversation that the character was having with Mr Woolsey I'm inclined to agree that it's actually Ms Shen Xiaoyi of the IOA.

Comment

I tweeted the author asking for verification a couple days ago but got no response. He has answered some other plot questions though.

Comment

Finally got my hands on the issue. I have to agree that too much story seemed to be squeezed into a single issue and it seems too quick in its pacing that things can get difficult to follow.

The story itself is very interesting to me though. It seems unlike anything we've ever seen before in Stargate and that excites me. I thought the art was easy enough to follow and the characters were recognisable enough. I'm looking forward to part three to round out the arc and hopefully give us some answers as to what exactly is going on.
                        Yeah, with all my complaining about the art, I've neglected to really give the writers their due.

I think the story is very interesting and I'm excited to see where they go with it. Their dialogue style and pacing would probably work better paired with another artist, so we'll see if the series on a whole improves after the new artist is introduced.

The "Previously on Stargate: Atlantis" pages at the start of the first issue were a bit of a mess. I've seen every episode of Atlantis at least twice and I had trouble making out what episodes and moments they were recapping, so I don't think that section did any favors for newbies to the franchise or even old fans like me.

Comment

This tweet says #3 is available for preorder, at least on Comixology. I don't see the paper copy options yet on either American Mythology or Midtown Comics where I bought 1 and 2.
                          https://twitter.com/MarkHaynes/statu...23203217416192

Comment

Hey guys, I'm the artist on the upcoming Stargate Atlantis: Gateways series. My name is Scottie Watson and I hope to shed some light on what is happening with the series. Writers Mark Haynes and JC Vaughn are telling each story arc in three issue. Back to Pegasus, the first story arc, drawn by Greg LaRoque, will end with issue #3. Stargate Atlantis: Back to Pegasus issues #1 and #2 are available now at your local comic shops or at Comixology: http://https://www.comixology.com/St...l-comic/366830. Issue three is scheduled to release Aug 10. Gateways, the next story arc, will also run for three issues with the first issue scheduled to release Oct 26. Each three-part story arc will be representative of an episode from the TV series. Each arc will begin with issue #1 and end with issue #3. I've finished the art for issue #1 of Gateways and am currently working on issue #2. Gateways #1 is now listed and available for preorder in Previews here: http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/AUG161131 Feel free to follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/RancidPlague or add me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DarthSWAT to stay up to date with Stargate Atlantis news and even the art I share. Again, I really hope this clears up any questions or doubts about the series and it's future. American Mythology is very dedicated to Stargate Atlantis as am I. I believe once you see the pages you'll see just how dedicated we are. Like you guys, I loved the TV series so this is a dream come true.

Comment

Thank you, SWAT! I enjoyed being able to preorder and buy directly from American Mythology for issue #2 and the customer service was great. Do you know if paper copies will be on sale for issue #3 on August 10 on the American Mythology site?

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                                Thank you, SWAT! I enjoyed being able to preorder and buy directly from American Mythology for issue #2 and the customer service was great. Do you know if paper copies will be on sale for issue #3 on August 10 on the American Mythology site?
                                Hey WraithTech, I'm not sure but I'll find out and let you guys know. Everyone is at the SDCC so I expect it'll be next week before they can get back to me. In the meantime I hope you enjoy this treat...

Comment

Working...
                                X