This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
    Question, why didn't it remain open for 38 minutes the first time? Also, the second, much longer time it was open, I thought they shut it down with a carefully placed, directed energy (aka shaped charge), bomb that diverted teh wormhole to anohter gate and allowed them to shut the gate down normally, not by waiting the equivalent of 38 minutes on the planet aproaching the black hole.
    I don't have time to rewatch the ep right now, but I believe that when they dialed from the black hole planet, it stayed open for 38 minutes, earth time. SGC then dialed back to them, and only then did the gravitational effects become strong enough to screw with time on the SGC side. It was then that they did the shaped charge thingy.

Hmm, perhaps the gate stays open for 38 minutes, on the receiving end... I'll scrutinize the ep later tonight, after I'm done at work.
    Last edited by Keen; 04 August 2004, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Question, why didn't it remain open for 38 minutes the first time? Also, the second, much longer time it was open, I thought they shut it down with a carefully placed, directed energy (aka shaped charge), bomb that diverted teh wormhole to anohter gate and allowed them to shut the gate down normally, not by waiting the equivalent of 38 minutes on the planet aproaching the black hole.
      After watching, I found was so wrong. The first time the wormhole was open, it closed due to nothing passing through it for a while. I.e. nothing came out the receiving end for a few minutes, and nothing had entered the sending end, so the gates figured they weren't going to be used and shutdown. Second time, they did the shaped charge dealy.

Comment

Originally posted by Keen
        After watching, I found was so wrong. The first time the wormhole was open, it closed due to nothing passing through it for a while. I.e. nothing came out the receiving end for a few minutes, and nothing had entered the sending end, so the gates figured they weren't going to be used and shutdown. Second time, they did the shaped charge dealy.
        Ah, OK, that's right. Also, I think the second time, they did the whole MALP telemetry thing, which was keeping the stargate open b/c it was in use. I wonder why they couldn't shut down the transmission? Maybe it would have taken too long to get the MALP toterminate the signal.

Comment

Also, I think the second time, they did the whole MALP telemetry thing, which was keeping the stargate open b/c it was in use. I wonder why they couldn't shut down the transmission? Maybe it would have taken too long to get the MALP toterminate the signal.
          Acutally, the second time was when things got all sorts of weird. The stargate had its power shutoff, but then it stayed open. Carter theorized that it was just sucking power from the black hole.

...And then it just occurred to me that they didn't know that DHD's on the receiving end could supply power to sustain a wormhole, since 48 hours hadn't happened yet. So, it's possible that it was doing just that, and it stayed open because 38 minutes hadn't taken place on the black hole planet and the MALP was propping the damn thing open.

Comment

Working...
          X