Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see how you could think 6 symbols were lit up on the DHD beause two were lit up side-by side. I noticed that a lot of the time on SG-1 the symbol beside the POO is usually one of the one's lit up. Maybe this is how the myth of six symbol dialing came about.
    My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

There are 21 symbols on the flat surface of the Jumper.

First Row - 5
      Next row - 7
      Farthest row - 9

If the tilted rows follow the same pattern we can assume the next row has 9 and the one on top 7. just like the dialing computer. This makes a total of 37 symbols in the Jumper.

The only reason they probably didn't use 36 or 39 symbols is because they wouldn't be able to make a nice hexagon-like shape

DIALING COMPUTER
      ../\/\/\
      ./\/\/\/\
      /\/\/\/\/\
      \/\/\/\/\/
      .\/\/\/\/

PUDDLE JUMPER
      ./\/\/\/\
      /\/\/\/\/\
      console is tilted here
      \/\/\/\/\/
      .\/\/\/\/
      ..\/\/\/

Each row should have a horizontal line inbetween so the buttons arn't diamonds, but triangles. The dot's are just there because the board doesn't want to put spaces in.
      Last edited by Chevron_nine; 19 July 2004, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
        I can see how you could think 6 symbols were lit up on the DHD beause two were lit up side-by side. I noticed that a lot of the time on SG-1 the symbol beside the POO is usually one of the one's lit up. Maybe this is how the myth of six symbol dialing came about.
        Yeah, I originally saw six, but on closer inspection, I realized seven were lit up, WHICH IS WRONG! And before you disagree, let me explain. The Dial-Home-Device (DHD) has two rows of buttons, each with the same number (19). Two equal numbers added together MUST BE an even number (38). And since we've never seen a blank button, you have to assume that there are 38, not forty. The 'gate has 39 symbols, meaning the center button MUST be the PoO.
        Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
          DIALING COMPUTER
          ../\/\/\
          ./\/\/\/\
          /\/\/\/\/\
          \/\/\/\/\/
          .\/\/\/\/

PUDDLE JUMPER
          ./\/\/\/\
          /\/\/\/\/\
          console is tilted here
          \/\/\/\/\/
          .\/\/\/\/
          ..\/\/\/

Each row should have a horizontal line inbetween so the buttons arn't diamonds, but triangles. The dot's are just there because the board doesn't want to put spaces in.
          Thanks for the visual representation.
          *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
          McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
            Yeah, I originally saw six, but on closer inspection, I realized seven were lit up, WHICH IS WRONG! And before you disagree, let me explain. The Dial-Home-Device (DHD) has two rows of buttons, each with the same number (19). Two equal numbers added together MUST BE an even number (38). And since we've never seen a blank button, you have to assume that there are 38, not forty. The 'gate has 39 symbols, meaning the center button MUST be the PoO.
            I agree that there are 38 symbols on the DHD, I know this for a fact, I've counted them. There has never been anything to indicate that all stargate symbols MUST be on the DHD. It can be missing a symbol, just like the new computer. There might be a symbol that is never used in addresses.

In CoTG daniel had to look at the DHD to determine the POO. Why does he need to determine it if it's the Big Red button? This was the pilot so we might as well disregard this fact.

In solitudes Sam looked at the DHD and said "This has to be the POO I've never seen it before". -paraphrased

It's a fact that the POO is a symbol on the gate this has been shown is a few episodes.

Another question that I just thought of, some planets have an ordinary constellation as a POO symbol, In this case what's filling the extra gap on the gate? Is the symbol just doubled?

Comment

Our galaxy's DHD doesn't have to be exactly the same, just like the gates aren't the same.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                Our galaxy's DHD doesn't have to be exactly the same, just like the gates aren't the same.
                I think.. we might just have to accept.. that this is SciFi.. and that the writers/production/propguys/etc have screwed up.

Yeah there's 38 symbols on Version 1.0 DHDs, and 39 symbols on Version 1.0 Gates. Where that last symbol is, who knows,
                especially if the red button is not the PoO. Which i don't think it is. In CotG and Solitudes, there were clearly
                references to the PoO symbol on the DHD.

In atlantis, there appears to be only 37 symbols on the computerised DHD to make it look cooler in a hexagon. Again, maybe
                a production error. Or maybe there are only 37 symbols for pegasus galaxy addresses as opposed to 39. Then again, the
                Version 2.0 DHD's still had 38 buttons (guys that counted - am i correct?) so there lies another possibly problem. Or maybe
                the Version 2.0 DHD has two rows of 17 buttons making 36 as opposied of two rows of 18 making 38. Who knows!

This means that pegsaus Version 2.0 gates/dhd's cannot dial all milkway gates as some of those gates may require the
                38th or 39th gate symbol that the Version 2.0 DHD does not have to dial it.

Thats the best i can think of for now. Perhaps, hopefully, this will all get clarafied in future episodes.

Comment

Or it will be a goof that will never be corrected or explained because its just a TV show.

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                    Or it will be a goof that will never be corrected or explained because its just a TV show.
                    Just a TV show?!

JUST A TV SHOW?!

::stares::
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, just a TV show
                      ::gotta keep telling myself its just a TV show, nothing to get overly excited about::

Just a TV show...

Just a TV show...

Just a TV show...

Just a TV show...

Just... THE BEST DAMN TV SHOW THAT WAS EVER MADE!!!

Comment

I apologize for my outburst, it was uncalled for.
                        When I supress my feelings for too long it happens.
                        Again, I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                          Just... THE BEST DAMN TV SHOW THAT WAS EVER MADE!!!
                          I have to absolutely agree!!

I've been a total StarGate fan since the SG-1 pilot aired in Australia (the day after they aired the Movie).

I was hooked, and am to this day!

Comment

Working...
                          X