This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juice
    So in Season 3 he needs to cause a big mistake with some implications ideally someone dying. This could coincide with Carter being in Atlantis taking over his slot in the team while he is punished.
    McKay making a big mistake and getting punished for that? Definitely not what I'd like to see. "Trinity" was enough (and TPTB weren't even able to handle the emotional aftermath of this event). In fact I'd rather see the opposite: Rodney demonstrating that he really is a genius for once instead of only claiming to be one. He has screwed up enough already.
    And Carter taking over for Rodney? Heaven help me, this is still SGA and I hope they keep it that way despite the few crossovers they announced.

So what do you think is Rodney's place, the place of the good, nice, obedient scientist? Well, I really don't think that's what this character was created for. Rodney's character is the way it is for a reason. If he was a normal scientist he would be ordinary and no fun and nothing spectacular to watch. But he's interesting because he's not Mr. Ordinary! And the goal of this show is not to make Rodney an obedient and nice guy. They already show that he learns to behave more sociable and nice and acepts that he has friends now. That's good, it's a nice development. But he'll also always be the arrogant, obnoxious, blunt man. That's who he is, that's the way his character is supposed to be. It's also what makes his character attractive for many people. He's far from perfect, but that makes him interesting. And he polarises. Some people may not like him, but a lot do! How boring would it be if he was just another ordinary scientist. How unimaginative would it be if he was just a male Sam Carter.
    So why change his character in season three? A fan said this to David Hewlett once: "Don't lose McKay!", and I second that.

Bye, A.

(P.S. For those who also read the RM discussion thread: Sorry if I repeat myself, I was too lazy to write a completely new text )
    Last edited by Arlessiar; 12 February 2006, 03:00 PM.
    ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
    ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Juice
      Theres been far too many occasions where Mckay has ignored other people and made massive mistakes the most obvious being Trinity, and his attitude to Zelenka is shocking.

Despite all his mistake he has never learnt his lesson because ultimatly nothing has been lost because of it(despite the fact that their could have been billions in that galaxy he blew up)

So in Season 3 he needs to cause a big mistake with some implications ideally someone dying. This could coincide with Carter being in Atlantis taking over his slot in the team while he is punished.

Eventually he will be needed and redeem himself, but his attitude would be totally changed as he would now be worried to do things and Shepperd and co will have to encourage him.
      I think they are building his charecter the same way they did Jackson except different.
      I didn't like McKay when he was on SG-1 and he has came a long ways sense then. So much to the point that I like him now. Goos job TPTB. After awhile his charecter will grow and he will be where the writers want his charecter to be. Just hang in their and I am sure you will get what you want. And then in SGA season 6 there will be a new young buck running around doing what McKay did when he first got there and McKay can school him.

McKay; What are you doing. We run everything over and over again and then we run the simulation one ore time to be safe. I thought you people was supposed to read all mission reports before going on active duty.

NEW GUY; I did.

McKay; No you didn't because if you did you would have no that taht is how I blew up my first solar system.
      *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
      *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
      *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
      *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
      *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
      *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
      *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

he seriously does. his wussy arrogence is very annoying

Comment

SPOILERS ATLANTIS 2-20

McKay is simply god!!! lol Id love to be like him, his sheer wit is worthy of respect alone I mean look at other great people that we love to hate Morino from Chelsea, Muhamed Ali its not unusuall for people that are exeptional in there proffesion to be arogant we cant all have type A personalities. McKay is developing nicely and is one of the most beleivable characters in the gate world. Also he is great for character rapore take shepards constant lack of patients with him, or Zalenka's struggle for respect, and most recently the ownage (in my opinion) of hermiod score one for the humans

Comment

Yes he does. At the end of Trinity he said he would change. It seems like he has toned it down a tad little but not enough. In Inferno, he's like "We? You mean ME." and like "Oh so now you're putting all the pressure on me now, huh?"... seriously, Sheppard did say "WE" and didnt' put all the pressure on McKay. He put the pressure on himself.
            Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

He was probably trying to act like he can do everything, and that he's usually the "savior" to impress the hawt lady there.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                He was probably trying to act like he can do everything, and that he's usually the "savior" to impress the hawt lady there.
                pfft. How can he impress her with Cap. Dirk(Shep) around?
                Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Can't blame a man for tryin'!

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                    The problem is the writers confuse people, one minute it looks like he is getting some kind of empathy for others and then the next he is back to the usual snark with looks that could kill.

Atlantis is not the kind of show that really deals with consequences, look at Sheppard and all those Genii, right or wrong he just shrugs that kind of death toll off? How believable is that? Zelenka made mistakes in 'Duet', Beckett has made bad judgement calls, not to mention Weir and Ronon. SGA just does not do consequences, unless it is within an episode and then forgotten by the next.

As for the Trinity thing, I was disappointed TPTB didn't keep that story line going, not just for McKay but for the interaction with Sheppard, we were shown virtually nothing about the impact on that relationship an given how closely they rely on each other that was a wasted opportunity.

All in all, McKay is meant to be the one that is arrogant, unlikable and annoying and I wouldn't have him any other way, he is by far a more interesting character then the others.

I completely agree with you..but it always looks like I do. I'm getting more and more frustrated with TPTB...and I think Ronon's character as well as Weir are the one's that are most affected...Hopefully they clear things up in Season 3, but from what I gathered with Weir...it may not look that great in her forecast.

With the introduction of the 'micro-tech killer's in HZ.....I hope they don't have floudering storylines like in season 2 and just not complete the depth that I hope they take on it....

But then again...I'm not so hopeful of that!

VB
                    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic
                      Yes he does. At the end of Trinity he said he would change. It seems like he has toned it down a tad little but not enough. In Inferno, he's like "We? You mean ME." and like "Oh so now you're putting all the pressure on me now, huh?"... seriously, Sheppard did say "WE" and didnt' put all the pressure on McKay. He put the pressure on himself.
                      Yes but...

Spoiler:
                      who had to come up with the solution? Not Lt Col Sheppard, no Dr McKay did. He ain't stupid he could see John was trying to manipulate him a mile off.

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
                      he seriously does. his wussy arrogance is very annoying
                      Wussy? How can he stand up to The Wraith and the Genii and still be seen as a wuss? Sure he had trouble shooting straight, but hey he is not military, sure the Genii got the better of him, but again he is not military! He doesn't have the years of military training Sheppard has and he never will have that kind of cold blooded killer instinct that Ronon has. Thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                        Yes but...

Spoiler:
                        who had to come up with the solution? Not Lt Col Sheppard, no Dr McKay did. He ain't stupid he could see John was trying to manipulate him a mile off.

Wussy? How can he stand up to The Wraith and the Genii and still be seen as a wuss? Sure he had trouble shooting straight, but hey he is not military, sure the Genii got the better of him, but again he is not military! He doesn't have the years of military training Sheppard has and he never will have that kind of cold blooded killer instinct that Ronon has. Thankfully.
                        Yeah but he's so self-centered... he thinks Atlantis can't find him in Grace Under Pressure without his help. Idiotic.

Yes he is a wuss. Did Daniel have any military exp? Did Alternate Reality Sam(Dr not Major/Captain/Lt. Col) have any military exp? That Sam came through the Quantum Mirror with the Gou'ld on them. Did Jonas have any military exp?
                        Does Wier have any military exp? I haven't seen anyone more Arrogant, self-centered, and wuss than him.

Comment

Originally posted by Murchie
                          I think this is a similar case with Atlantis I think McKay is stealing the show which I dont think was entirely planned.
                          Of course it wasn't planned, McKay was only added to the cast 2 days after filming of the first episode began
                          sigpic

Comment

I was just thinking about this the other day, he's become a lot more arrogant over time, he was in the beginning but it was more subtle arrogance than in your face arrogance. He mostly only did it to Carter because he felt intimidated by her, but she always had a way of bringing him back down to earth, and that evened it out which made it work.

It needs to be toned down a bit and have more humour brought back into the character, because the way he presented them always made me laugh;

(SG1 S06E02 "Redemption Part 2")

McKAY: But, why wait? Why does this guy show up a day and a half after this all starts to do his whole "Prepare to meet your doom" thing?

CARTER: I don't know. Maybe he wanted to make sure it was gonna work.

McKAY: Yeah, that would be embarrasing, wouldn't it? "Nothing can stop the destruction that I bring upon you!" Then the Gate shuts down. "Oops, sorry. Nevermind…"

--------------------------------

McKAY: No, you're both horribly wrong, both of you, but you gave me an idea. We know that certain waves can travel in both directions through a wormhole. Uh, radio signals, for one.

CARTER: So, what? We call Anubis up and ask him to stop?

McKAY: Yeah, "Hey, Anubis, this is you agent, you're playing it way over the top, can you get serious, please?"

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic
                              Yeah but he's so self-centered... he thinks Atlantis can't find him in Grace Under Pressure without his help. Idiotic.

Yes he is a wuss. Did Daniel have any military exp? Did Alternate Reality Sam(Dr not Major/Captain/Lt. Col) have any military exp? That Sam came through the Quantum Mirror with the Gou'ld on them. Did Jonas have any military exp?
                              Does Wier have any military exp? I haven't seen anyone more Arrogant, self-centered, and wuss than him.

oh damn all you wussy mckay loving pinches got ownd!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
                                oh damn all you wussy mckay loving pinches got ownd!!!!
                                A little curious...but how old are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X