• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we need Atlantis to explain it all
    __

__

Comment

Maybe Teyla's people can shed some light onto this.
      Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
      Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
      Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
      Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
      Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
      Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
      Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Originally posted by Whitster
        If you remember the movie despite the fact that the ancients had a sound for each symbol, the symbols are actually based on constalations.
        But in the series they're all the same. Every planet has the same set of symbols and the same code for Earth; clearly constellations and relative coordinates don't enter into it.

And the Atlantis Gate might well have the same PoO as Earth if the city came from Earth originally. Either way, to get home you'd need to encode 8 chevrons (well, encode 7, lock 1); intergalactic travel needing that extra symbol.

And yes, you can pronounce Orion, but you don't have a letter that looks like a wonky hourglass and is used to spell words which include the syllables 'or-i-on'. According to TLC, the symbols are phonetic characters.
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I think the symbols were probably made phonetic characters to make an audible naming system for planets. We have our P8X-423 etc. system, the Ancients just turned the addresses into words. As time passed the names became associated with certain concepts, in this case Proclarush Taonas related to "lost in fire". The names may have even become euphamisms for these concepts in Ancient culture, and as they passed on into earth languages, the original use as a planet name became lost.
          Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
            I think the symbols were probably made phonetic characters to make an audible naming system for planets. We have our P8X-423 etc. system, the Ancients just turned the addresses into words. As time passed the names became associated with certain concepts, in this case Proclarush Taonas related to "lost in fire". The names may have even become euphamisms for these concepts in Ancient culture, and as they passed on into earth languages, the original use as a planet name became lost.
            Interesting theory, but perhaps the Atlantis gate is of a different manufacture (from the standard gates) and therefore uses the different symbols? Maybe this hints to a prior Ancient/Wraith alliance? Maybe the symbols are wraith's glyphs?

Comment

i don't really mind which chevron they use and whether it is the earth chevron. it is possible since they could both be considered as central gates but i'm not sure. i just hope that they stick with them and don't end up making a hundred continuity errors by showing the earth chevron when they have the gate from antarctica and the russians have the gaza gate!
              spook

Comment

Originally posted by sshspooky
                i don't really mind which chevron they use and whether it is the earth chevron. it is possible since they could both be considered as central gates but i'm not sure. i just hope that they stick with them and don't end up making a hundred continuity errors by showing the earth chevron when they have the gate from antarctica and the russians have the gaza gate!
                Actually, these days we have the Gaza gate. We bought it back from the Russians after Anubis blew up the Antarctic gate trying to take us out at the beginning of Season 6. Besides, it wasn't a continuity error when the beta gate was shown using the A, Sam just had it wrong when she was trying it in "Solitudes". No doubt her mistakes the result of hypothermia as she wasn't using any cold weather gear.

Originally posted by Lostinmyownvoid
                Interesting theory, but perhaps the Atlantis gate is of a different manufacture (from the standard gates) and therefore uses the different symbols? Maybe this hints to a prior Ancient/Wraith alliance? Maybe the symbols are wraith's glyphs?
                I'm not really sure what this has to do with the Ancients assigning sounds to the symbols. However, the Atlantis gate, like every other gate that we know of other than the Nox/Tollan gate that was on Tollana, was created by the Ancients. The symbols on the gate aren't "wraith" symbols, but constellations just like on any other gate. However, considering we learn in Rising that the Ancients moved the whole city to the Pegasus galaxy in order to seed it with life and stargates, I'd think the city was designed for moving about like that. If the symbols on the new gate are different from the standard Milky Way 39, then the gate may have been designed to adapt to use different symbols so that it would function in multiple galaxies. If so, Earth's address will be different for the Pegasus side. Part of the "going home" issue may be finding Earth's address in the Atlantis dialing computer, along with the power problems.
                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

the continuity error i was referring to was one we saw in the season 4 episode Point of No Return where Marty writes down the earth chevron which he shouldn't really know, and when they dial up we see them dial up the earth chevron, and the gaza gate is with russia at this point.
                  spook

Comment

I've already pointed out the dialing thing is not a continuity problem. The gate clearly worked with that POO and not with the one a somewhat ill Carter tried in "Solitudes". Clearly, Carter was mistaken, not the fabric of SG-1's TV reality. As for Marty writing the symbol down, he may have known it for some reason that just isn't explained.
                    Cogito ergo dubito.

Comment

yes but isn't there a different symbol that is special to each gate which is the point of origin? if i remember that was the whole reason they knew what the POO symbols were, as they were different on each gate.
                      spook

Comment

I don't think that's been stated as an abosolute on the show. If anything it's just a handy rule of thumb that helps them figure it out. The A (or as the Ancients called it, "at"), has been shown on at least 3 gates that I can think of right now. It's on the Alpha (Gaza) and Beta (Antarctic) gates, as well as the Bedrosian gate ("New Ground"). It's only acted as a POO on earth, suggesting that the POO depends on where the gate is (which actually is the physical point the wormhole originates), rather than a "unique" symbol to each gate (which would make the POO entirely redundant and the term POO rather inaccurate). This makes the gates only semi-interchangable, as a gate will only work on planets for which it has the POO. However, this greatly increases the address space of the gate system without increasing the number of symbols to be entered to dial an address. Unique symbols were, for the most part, kept on the planet to which they corresponded. When moved though, the symbol still represents the location of that planet, however it would be used in a destination instead of working as the POO.
                        Cogito ergo dubito.

Comment

Couldn't the earth chevron be hidden in the floor? The chevron in question looks a bit slanted. Did the Ancents write in cursive?

Comment

Originally posted by tfalls1
                            If you look close on the official site pics there appears to be the same triangle symbol "A" that is the symbol used in the atlantis title... bet thats the point of origin which also happens to be earths point of origin which would led one to believe that Atlantis was built on earth
                            Hate to sound like an uninformed noob here, but didn't the 2 hour "premier" episode of Atlantis show that the ancients left Earth in a "spaceship", out for the pegasis galaxy, only to look damn near like the city itself? I remeber part of the "ship" staying behind after the launch, which would explain the antartic base that everyone was at. Sheppard sat in the "chair" just to rest, but then it went all crazy and lit up cause he has ancient gene's.

Am I remebering this right? It's been awhile.

If so, than that would answer this question above. It would also show that the atlantis gate was the first gate to be built, hence why it looks different.

Comment

That ship was the city. Atlantis is a city/intergalactic ship/who knows what else.

Comment

I think all the gates are of the same basic design (ie same symbols, same chevrons etc - the pegasus ones are just more 'modern' than the milky way ones) and incorporate the same symbols, thus as long as you have a Point of origin you could use any gate anywhere. Its where the gate is i the universe that matters.

I do wonder though, if each gate has all the symbols required to dial any of the other gates in a partiular galaxy, how is it then possible to add the 8th chevron and dial another galaxy? The only way i reckon this can work is that if some of the symbols are actualy representing a galaxy rather a constelation/star system, then you have the 8th (properly the 1st in an 8 dial sequence) acting as a kind of area or national 'dialing code'.

Comment

Working...
                                X