This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The mother of all contests"

theres a new contest on mgm site. you have to guess when amanda's baby is going to be born and you can win stargate goodies

http://www.mgm.com/sweeps/sweeps_359/index_359.html
    Last edited by darman; 05 February 2005, 05:25 AM.

neat!

Comment

Talk about trying to milk the franchise. Not to mention, them wanting us to guess it down to the minute.

(This thing has badluck written all over it.)

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

That has to be one of the most tactless, desperate ideas MGM has ever concocted, and that's really saying something.

Comment

The Grand Prizes are all signed by RDA, Amanda Tapping and Chris Judge. What, no Shanks?

-IMF
          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Wow... that is absolutely horrid. What a horrible idea for publicity.
            Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
              The Grand Prizes are all signed by RDA, Amanda Tapping and Chris Judge. What, no Shanks?

-IMF
              well they have left him out all the season 8 ads completely so why would he be involved in this? of course it is really tactless so maybe micheal doesnt want anything to do with it?

Comment

To me, this screams 'very bad idea'. I consider it tactless and insensitive considering Amanda's previous troubles. But then again, could they run something like this without her permission?

Comment

I assume AT gave permission for the contest.However,I won't be entering, if they set up a UK/European version of the contest.It's tacky and I don't see any point.(

The way I see it,if it's not good etiquette to talk about the actors' private lives on forums,then it's a lot worse for MGM to turn Amanda's unborn baby into "product".

Just my opinion.
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 06 February 2005, 09:51 AM. Reason: clarification.
                  The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I agree, this is very very tacky, what ever the prize.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

If Amanda *hadn't* given her permission there's not much she could do to stop MGM doing it anyway .

I think it's tacky and tasteless.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                        If Amanda *hadn't* given her permission there's not much she could do to stop MGM doing it anyway .

I think it's tacky and tasteless.
                        As do I. They've never done this with any of the other cast members children, have they? All seems a bit strange to me...

Comment

Pointless competition, really.

Tacky - I think the way that it's been set-up is really lame and is a stupid way to do a contest. The guesses would be way too far out, and the prizes aren't that great.

If AT didn't give permission, as someone said, I don't think she could do much about it anyway. An actress on a show going up against a huge company like MGM -- I wouldn't see happening. Pointless contest, really.
                          __

__

Comment

I used their form to email a complaint. Fat load of good that'll do, but it helps me feel better.

Comment

I have to admit this is weird.

On the one hand I feel like surely AT gave permission for this. And maybe she went along because she thought it would be a nice way to share this with her fans after having to cancel all the con appearances. She's certainly been very open about her pregnancy in her messages on her website.

On the other hand it's a very strange thing for a production company to promote their show by starting a virtual internet baby pool using their lead actress' real life pregnancy. There have been a number of actresses who have been pregnant during the run of a TV show and I just don't recall anything like this before.

It seems like maybe a line you shouldn't cross.
                              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X