This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to the Sam and Jack ship threads

The same rules apply. Discussion is only open to those that are active participants in the affected threads. And i will be posting notice of this discussion in the threads. I ask that all conversation takes place in this thread and not in any other. We won't acknowledge discussion taking place outside of this thread.

Sam and Jack ship threads

We have
    Sam/Jack ship family discussion thread - active
    Pro Sam/jack ship – discussion only - active
    The Sam/Jack shipper resort - last post aug 2008

We need to know why we have three threads. What reason is there. How are they different? Are they different? Can they be merged? If they cannot be merged, why? How are the different? How can we title them differently – if they are – to reflect the difference and make it clear to the newbies what’s going on where.

There is also the fact that, however we work this out, the new thread will also need to adhere to the naming convention, which has the full name of both characters in it. There will also be no ‘anti’ or ‘pro’ in the titles.

One suggestion that has been put forth is
    Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Family Fluff and Discussion
    Jack O'Neill/Sam Carter Ship Discussion

the former for the ship family, the latter for the more serious discussion that the other group prefers.

the shipper resort will get merged into one of the others, or closed and allowed to just drop down.
    2 'Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill - Their Love Story Discussion'.
    11.94%
    1 Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread
    43.28%
    2 Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread
    29.85%
    1 Sam Carter and Jack O'Neill All things ship thread
    10.45%
    2 Sam Carter and Jack O'Neill ship discussion only
    4.48%
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Wait - there's a resort thread?!

Seriously, though - that seems fine to me.

Comment

I see no problem with the names at all

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
      Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
      Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

My understanding is that the pro Sam/Jack is for serious discussion and the family thread is more for fluff, i think that's about the only difference

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          The same rules apply. Discussion is only open to those that are active participants in the affected threads. And i will be posting notice of this discussion in the threads. I ask that all conversation takes place in this thread and not in any other. We won't acknowledge discussion taking place outside of this thread.

Sam and Jack ship threads

We have

We need to know why we have three threads. What reason is there. How are they different? Are they different? Can they be merged? If they cannot be merged, why? How are the different? How can we title them differently – if they are – to reflect the difference and make it clear to the newbies what’s going on where.

There is also the fact that, however we work this out, the new thread will also need to adhere to the naming convention, which has the full name of both characters in it. There will also be no ‘anti’ or ‘pro’ in the titles.

the former for the ship family, the latter for the more serious discussion that the other group prefers.

the shipper resort will get merged into one of the others, or closed and allowed to just drop down.
          i'm having no probs with changing the name of the thread, since all the other ship threads are having this happen too. i actually think the more simple the name the better (it helps newbies find us more easily).

in an ideal world, i'd love to think that we'd only need one thread to handle ship discussions, and the shipper lounge for the peeps that want to chat and and such.

as of right now, the ship family discussion thread is basically a discussion thread, but fluff and captions and such already in it. we encourage shippers to go to the lounge for more private chat stuff, but it still slips in.

but i'm sure this will be a vote. my vote is:

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion thread, leaving out the 'family' line because it goes without saying. it might also confuse a newbie thinking that the thread is more a 'you must be a member of the family to post' thread than an actual discussion thread. once you come in and start posting, you're already part of the shipper community/family. it really goes without having to state it in the title, to me at least.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Those who visit all 3 threads know more about 'em, but here are my thoughts.

We have
            I mostly visit the first thread and think those two can be merged.

It's the lounge thread? Um. That's for OT chat, S/J shippers talking about non-S/J things. So can it be merged with other thread(s)?

The second one sounds okay.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
              Those who visit all 3 threads know more about 'em, but here are my thoughts.

I mostly visit the first thread and think those two can be merged.

It's the lounge thread? Um. That's for OT chat, S/J shippers talking about non-S/J things. So can it be merged with other thread(s)?

The second one sounds okay.
              I don't think it is the lounge thread, Egle, because the lounge thread has had a lot of posts since Aug 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Solo View Post
                I don't think it is the lounge thread, Egle, because the lounge thread has had a lot of posts since Aug 2008.
                Oh, okay. I didn't know we had a resort thread.
                sigpic

Comment

well, it's my understanding that the ship thread split because some wanted noting but 'yes, it's great, yes it's gonna be wonderful' while others didn't want 'all good all the time' and wanted to discuss the good with the bad. They wanted more critical or - as some would term it - 'depressing' discussion. Where they face and deal with the possibility that the ship will never be resolved. And there were some in the ship family thread that didn't tolerate such 'negative' talk well.

If things have changed since then, fantastic. But if we have a 'all positive all the time' thread and a 'not all positive all the time' separation it's not fair to either side to leave the other out

sigpic

Comment

my one questions is if the pro Sam and Jack thread gets merged with the family thread, and the name gets changed to something like Sam carter/Jack O'Neill ship discussion thread will we still be able to have the fluff that we normally would have at the family thread or would we have to be more serious?
                    Last edited by Regularamanda; 19 March 2009, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

but i'm sure this will be a vote. my vote is:

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion thread, leaving out the 'family' line because it goes without saying. it might also confuse a newbie thinking that the thread is more a 'you must be a member of the family to post' thread than an actual discussion thread. once you come in and start posting, you're already part of the shipper community/family. it really goes without having to state it in the title, to me at least.
                      Sounds good to me
                      sigpic

Comment

its' not the lounge thread, that's in the off topic area. it's called 'resort' and it' in the C&R area

sigpic

Comment

well, it's my understanding that the ship thread split because some wanted noting but 'yes, it's great, yes it's gonna be wonderful' while others didn't want 'all good all the time' and wanted to discuss the good with the bad. They wanted more critical or - as some would term it - 'depressing' discussion. Where they face and deal with the possibility that the ship will never be resolved. And there were some in the ship family thread that didn't tolerate such 'negative' talk well.

If things have changed since then, fantastic. But if we have a 'all positive all the time' thread and a 'not all positive all the time' separation it's not fair to either side to leave the other out
                          I'm not sure I'd want the two to be merged if they are that different
                          Last edited by Regularamanda; 19 March 2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                            my one questions is if the pro Sam and Jack thread gets merged with the family thread, and the name gets changed to something like Sam carter/Jack O'Neill ship discussion thread will we still be able to have the fluff that we normally would have at the family thread or would we have to have to be more serious?
                            I hope not.

its' not the lounge thread, that's in the off topic area. it's called 'resort' and it' in the C&R area
                            Yeah, I already found the thread.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think the threads have changed a lot, because I don't think that's what they are at this point, SKy.

I think the difference is really the chatty stuff and fluff that happens in the Ship Family thread doesn't happen in the Discussion thread. There are fewer posts (a lot fewer right now) but there are people that will visit the discussion thread who don't go to the Ship Family thread and vice-versa.

I'd really hate to see the Discussion thread merged with the Ship Family thread. It's really hard to find any news on the Ship Family thread if you're not there all the time. It's still a very fast-moving thread. And there are "depressing" discussions that go on over there. Like every time I come around.

If we're lucky and someday there is something new to discuss, I'd really hate to see the other thread gone. You can subscribe to that thread- it's impossible to subscribe to the Ship Family thread.

People really need two threads. No one wants to give up the fun and online fellowship that happen on the Ship Family thread. On the other hand, there's got to be a place for serious discussion and new stuff since it otherwise it is going to get lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X