Jack/Sam Fic Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canadianfolk View Post
    Is this the appropriate place to search for a fic? If not, I apologize, and can you please point me to the correct thread.

A friend of mine is looking for this one. Any help is appreciated!

"The story was set when Jack was a general in charge of the SGC. The SG1 (or maybe just Sam) goes on a mission with another team but are attacked. I think Sam goes back to help an injured guy and gets hurt herself. The wormhole closes and the when they "call back" she tells them that the dhd is destroyed and that there are still baddies around - therefore she's stranded and very soon...dead. I'm pretty sure Jack gets a portable jump-starter and rescues her. I have no idea when/where I saw this one. "
    Sounds a bit like one recently published. Sam is killed but Jack goes to the cabin and brings her back via going back in time to just before she is killed. Has to try many times to get the right time. Lots more to it than that, though. I have no idea what a portable jump-starter is. .

Whee, I'm back on GW! First could get on GW (very slowly) but not on any of the threads. Then computer needed work--had that done--but still couldn't get on the threads unless I went to other provider than my usual one. Just tonight I decided to try one of my GW bookmarks on my usual provider, to see if it worked. It did and I could even post, which I don't do very much anymore, but at least it's possible again.
    Last edited by Gatetrixer; 20 June 2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

OK Shippers, we're going to give this a try. Not sure how will go over, but remember it's all in fun!!!

Summary
      Between June 23 and July 7 nominations for favorite Sam/Jack stories will be accepted on the Jack/Sam Fic Recs Thread in the following categories:

Overall Favorites
      Long (50,000+ words)
      Medium (Between 5,000 and 50,000 words)
      Short (Up to 5,000 words)

The Three Pillars of Ship
      Angst
      Fluff
      Gutter

Specialties
      Crossover
      AU
      Team
      TAG
      Holiday

On July 10 you will find a complete list of nominations on the Jack/Sam Fic Recs Thread and the Sam/Jack Ship Appreciation Thread.

Between July 10 and July 25 you may vote for your favorite story in each category.
      One vote per person, per category.
      Send your votes by PM to hlndncr on GW Forum.

All nominations will be listed on the Ship Day Thread on July 28.
      Favorites will be announced throughout the celebration.

Before you ask me questions read the complete rules, definitions, and other details below. (Then when you are more confused than before ask away, but you should know that I'm making this all up as I go and I'm very arbitrary. )

Spoiler:
      Category Definitions

All stories must be rated for essentially a general audience. No M ratings. (I can’t link to them on the Forum and I want to keep this to the broadest possible audience.)

Favorit Overall Fic

Long (50,000 + words)
      May be single or multi-chapter, and address any topic. A series of stand alone stories combined into one multi-chapter/multi-volume set can be nominated as a single work in this category. Can be nominated in other categories.

Medium (Between 5,000 and 50,000 words)
      Stories may be single or multi-chapter, and address any topic. Can be nominated in other categories.

Short (Up to 5,000 words)
      Stories may be single or multi-chapter, and address any topic. Can be nominated in other categories.

The Pillars of Ship

Stories may be single or multi-chapter, of any length. Shiptionary definitions will be used as the basic guidelines for each category.

Angst
      “One of the three pillars of shipdom. Gives its name to a cavern, rumoured to be a dark, scary (or comforting, depending on your point of view) place. Denizens of the Angst Cavern emerge occasionally, blinking at the light, before retreating to their home of pain and torment. Signs of angst include long (and longing) looks and quickly restrained attempts at touching. Mis- or lack of communication plays a large part.”

Fluff
      “The second of the three pillars of shipdom, giving its name to a cloud, where everything is happy and light and full of cake. Food for Fluff Cloud dwellers is rare outside of fanfic, sadly, but can be found if you look hard enough, and often include hugs and touchage. The sound of fluff is 'squee'.”

Gutter
      “The third pillar of shipdom, and a place in which to splash, either on occasion or with great frequency, depending on your tastes. A well-trained gutter dweller has the ability to 'gutterise' (see below) almost any situation by finding the potentially non-PG implications. Not to be confused with smut, which is what happens when the gutter turns into an abyss.”

Specialties
      Stories may be single or multi-chapter of any length.

Crossover
      The placement of one or more otherwise discrete fictional characters, settings, or universes into the context of a Sam/Jack story. Crossovers from any fandom, including Stargate spinoffs (SGA or SGU) will be accepted.

AU
      Any story that does not fit within the current Stargate cannon (with no end of story reset). Any pre-Threads, Sam/Jack relationship (screw the regs) will be considered non-cannon; however, a Sam/Jack post-Threads relationship will be accepted as cannon (and therefore not necessarily AU). The published Stargate novels will not be considered cannon. The basics of the original movie (it gets murky when you look at the details) is cannon. Sam and Jack meeting (unless it is a brief encounter in passing) and having a relationship before Children of the Gods is not cannon.

Team Fic
      Stories focus on team interaction and contain significant participation by all members of SG-1 (whichever incarnation being used) while still including important references to the Sam/Jack ship.

TAG
      Must be based in or around a specific Stargate episode or movie. Can be set pre-, post-, or during referenced source material.

Holiday
      Since many of our Ship celebrations take place around the holidays, we have many excellent holiday themed fics to choose from. Any holiday, including the more obscure choices (like Pi Day), will be accepted. The holiday must play a significant role in the story, mere reference to a holiday is not sufficient.

Eligibility
      1. Any fic published (on any site) through 2010. (I’m leaving out 2011 in case we want to do this again for just new fics.)
      a. Multi-chapter works of which any portion was published by December 31, 2010 may qualify, even if not completed until 2011 (must be marked complete before being nominated).
      b. For multi-chapter/multi-volume works where the author has specified that each chapter/story stands alone, only those portions of the work which were published before January 1, 2011 qualify and each chapter will be treated as an individual story, except in the Overall Long Fic category where the entire work may be nominated as a single story. Please specify the volume/chapter when nominating and voting.
      2. Must be pro-Sam/Jack Ship (happy ending not required, for the Angst lovers).
      3. Must follow all category guidelines. Any questions or ambiguities will be resolved at the discretion of the Awards Committee (me).
      4. Stories may be entered in multiple categories as long as all category guidelines are met.
      5. Stories must be available for public reading on the internet. (If an author has taken a story down or the link is no longer available, even if you have a copy saved on your hard drive and it is the best Sam/Jack story ever written, it’s still not eligible.)
      6. All stories must be in English. (Sorry to our non-English writers. I’m sure you have some great stories. Sadly, not enough of us can read them.)

The Process

Nominations
      1. The nominations period will commence today and close on July 7.
      2. Anyone may nominate as many stories as they would like by any author (including your own stories) during the nominations period.
      a. Authors will not be contacted personally. All stories must be published on the web for public viewing and therefore discussion, sharing, critique and voting on those stories must be expected. (Be polite!)
      b. Stories will, however, be removed from consideration if requested by the author.
      3. Nominations must be posted to the Jack/Sam Fic Recs Thread by 11:59 pm U.S. EST of the closing date.
      a. Must include the author, title, and a working link to the story.
      b. Category or categories the story is being nominated for must be clearly specified.
      4. After the end of the nominations period the Awards Committee (me) will make an extremely cursory review of all nominated stories for eligibility. All decisions of the Awards Committee (me) are final.

Voting
      1. All nominations will be listed by category on the Sam/Jack Ship Appreciation Thread and the Jack/Sam Fic Recs Thread on July 10.
      2. Voting will begin as soon as all nominations to all categories have been posted and the Awards Committee (me) states that voting is open.
      3. Voting will close on July 25.
      4. Votes will be accepted by PM to the Awards Committee (me) until 11:59 pm U.S. EST of the closing date. (I promise to clean out my inbox.)
      5. One vote per person, per category. (Choose your favorite story.)
      6. Votes must clearly state the category, story, and author.
      7. Votes may be cast for an author’s own work. (Hey, if your own story is your favorite who am I to say otherwise?!)
      8. All votes will be kept confidential.
      9. In the case of a tie, the stories will be declared co-favorites. (We can have a run-off in November.)

Presentation
      1. Presentations will be made during the July 28, 2011 Ship Day celebration on the Ship Day Thread.
      2. All nominated works will be listed on the Ship Day Thread.
      3. Favorites will be announced throughout the celebration.

Comment

G'morning, I'm looking forward to the Favorite FanFic Awards. Question: what is TAG? Can 'apocafic' be added as a speciality? Thanks
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
          G'morning, I'm looking forward to the Favorite FanFic Awards. Question: what is TAG? Can 'apocafic' be added as a speciality? Thanks
          Definitions for each category included under spoilers.

I tried to choose really broad general categories that could encompass many types of stories without getting into specific storylines. Apocafic could fit under Angst/AU/Team//TAG, potentially Crossover, and any of the general overall categories. Take your pic.

Comment

Ok...I promised to nominate...but please understand that I've been with you guys only since March this year, so my fic exposure is somewhat limited.

*runs off to look at rules and review favorite stories*
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
              Question: what is TAG?
              It means that a fic must be based on a specific episode (or episodes). Y'know, sort of like a prequel or a missing scene or the aftermath, e.g how Sam and Jack coped with the events of Heroes? etc.

I am confused about something else. What should a fic entail to be qualified as "gutter" but still be PG? Also, I understand that "R" rated fics are allowed?

And another question: can we nominate more than 1 fic per each category?

I took a cursory glance at my favourites and it seems I've got a huge problem, because majority of my absolutely favourite fics is rated M or NC-17 What a shame, because they are truly magnificent and sex scenes included serve specific plot purpose, so it's not PWP Alas, I understand the rules. I'm just saying my work just got a lot more difficult, LOL.
              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
              sigpic
              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                It means that a fic must be based on a specific episode (or episodes). Y'know, sort of like a prequel or a missing scene or the aftermath, e.g how Sam and Jack coped with the events of Heroes? etc.

I am confused about something else. What should a fic entail to be qualified as "gutter" but still be PG? Also, I understand that "R" rated fics are allowed?

And another question: can we nominate more than 1 fic per each category?

I took a cursory glance at my favourites and it seems I've got a huge problem, because majority of my absolutely favourite fics is rated M or NC-17 What a shame, because they are truly magnificent and sex scenes included serve specific plot purpose, so it's not PWP Alas, I understand the rules. I'm just saying my work just got a lot more difficult, LOL.
                I believe gutter can be hot and suggestive without being graphic. But as you point out, you may have to look a little harder.

I would say "R" rated fics are allowed. I am still open to adding a mature category, but you're the only one who has expressed interest to me. If you can get a few others to speak up I'll do it.

You may nominate more than one fic per category.

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                  Ok...I promised to nominate...but please understand that I've been with you guys only since March this year, so my fic exposure is somewhat limited.

*runs off to look at rules and review favorite stories*
                  I'm sure you have some favorites that others have enjoyed too. And we can all discover or rediscover some really great Sam/Jack fics together.

Comment

While I'm perfectly happy without a mature category, I do read them and some are my very favorites, so....was thinking that the heading could state succinctly that they are not included. Thus maybe fans skimming through would understand that the nominations do not include that body of J/S work, and do not wonder why none of them are listed.
                    Last edited by Gatetrixer; 23 June 2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

^^^Yeah, that would be a good idea. There are too many M-rated fics that are absolutely fantastic and not acknowledging their lack here would be somewhat weird, IMO.

Okay, here are some of my first nominations then. I think I've rec'ced most of them already on this thread, but 1) they may be unknown to newbies and 2) they really are timeless classics IMO. I'll be adding to them as the time permits:

Fluff

Motivational by Artaxastra

Gutter

Unlahfulliche in Lychte by Pepper (rated R)

New Ground by Pepper (rated PG-13)

EDIT: Gah, I forgot about Fate series by Blue Topaz, the very definition of gutter!
                      Here it is:
                      1. Fate (rated R)
                      2. The gutter strikes back (rated PG-13)
                      3. Everybody loves Jack (rated PG-13)
                      And I'm done with this category.

Crossover

The Raggedy Edge by Annerb

AU

Banshee by SGCBearcub

Acquiescent by JoJo

God bless Chloe Felger! by Seldear - very AU; it's set in the Shermer High!verse

Team

Cost of Living by Doc

TAG

Making Amends by Chezza

It's a tag to '100 days' and it's got 5 parts:

1. The Paperless Office
                      2. Out to Dinner
                      3. Anyone for Dessert?
                      4. After Dinner Activities
                      5. The Jello Incident

I'd love to nominate Monkey Screaming by SGCBearcub or Rocket Fuel by Rowan Darkstar (Best darn Heroes tag I've ever read!) or Rainy Season by MissParker but alas, they have M rating.

Holiday

A whole alphabet of plans by Miss Parker (first in Plan C series)

At least Rowan Darkstar's Speed of Light - (Sam's life in numbers) can be rec'ced here. It doesn't fit any categories so it's not for nominations, but I've come across it and thought I'd remind you all what a great piece it is.
                      Last edited by Petra; 24 June 2011, 07:43 AM.
                      sigpic
                      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

^^^Yeah, that would be a good idea. There are too many M-rated fics that are absolutely fantastic and not acknowledging their lack here would be somewhat weird, IMO.

Okay, here are some of my first nominations then. I think I've rec'ced most of them already on this thread, but 1) they may be unknown to newbies and 2) they really are timeless classics IMO. I'll be adding to them as the time permits:

Fluff

Motivational by Artaxastra

God bless Chloe Felger! by Seldear

Gutter

Unlahfulliche in Lychte by Pepper (rated R)

New Ground by Pepper (rated PG-13)

Crossover

The Raggedy Edge by Annerb

AU

Banshee by SGCBearcub

Acquiescent by JoJo

God bless Chloe Felger! by Seldear

Team

Cost of Living by Doc

TAG

Making Amends by Chezza

It's a tag to '100 days' and it's got 5 parts:

1. The Paperless Office
                        2. Out to Dinner
                        3. Anyone for Dessert?
                        4. After Dinner Activities
                        5. The Jello Incident

I'd love to nominate Monkey Screaming by SGCBearcub or Rocket Fuel by Rowan Darkstar (Best darn Heroes tag I've ever read!) or Rainy Season by MissParker but alas, they have M rating.

Holiday

A whole alphabet of plans by Miss Parker (first in Plan C series)

At least Rowan Darkstar's Speed of Light - (Sam's life in numbers) can be rec'ced here. It doesn't fit any categories so it's not for nominations, but I've come across it and thought I'd remind you all what a great piece it is.
                        We'll have a master list then, sometime?
                        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                          We'll have a master list then, sometime?
                          It's my understanding that hlndncr will compile a list of all our nominations, by category, in time for the voting period? Or have I misunderstood that?
                          sigpic
                          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I had never read Speed of Light-- and it was wonderful!!! Thanks for adding that link, Petra!
                            sigpic
                            Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

It's my understanding that hlndncr will compile a list of all our nominations, by category, in time for the voting period? Or have I misunderstood that?
                              Yep, I'll do that.

Thanks for the noms Petra. There are several on your list I haven't read. More fun for me.

Comment

This just popped up over on LiveJournal at the sj_everyday community:

Fic recs: Sam/Jack (Stargate SG-1) by angiescully
                                I just put together a ridiculously long Sam/Jack fic rec list over at my LJ, and since I know how often I'm looking for new fics personally, I thought I'd share with anyone else who might be looking for new (and old) fics to read.

Feel free to let me know over there if I've missed any authors/fics! (Which I'm certain I have, considering I'm still sitting here thinking of fics I just can't remember the title/author of.)

Comment

Working...
                                X