Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scaling the Daedalus and the F-302 (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaling the Daedalus and the F-302 (again)

I'm just building a model of the Daedalus and I was appalled that there aren't ANY useful information about the ship's size.

The easiest way to scale the Daedalus is via the F-302 because there are some nice shots of both ships and the scaling of the F-302 is not that difficult.

F-302:

This often used shot is nearly perfect because it shows the F-302 directly from one side but it's really bad for scaling because the FX-guys mis-scaled the Stargate. According to this compositing shot the F-302 must be 7,8 m in length because we know that the gate's diameter is 6,7 m; but look at the pilot's helmet: It's just 16 px long, so the helmet would be only 15 cm! Maybe a midget pilot? No! So the F-302 must be larger than 7,8 m.

This is an interesting shot because we see a F-302 prop. The guy on top of the fighter is Jonas Quinn. Well, I don't know the exact body height of Corin Nemec, but he is slightly bigger than RDA. We know that RDA is 1,87 m (imdb rocks!), so Nemec may be 1,90 m. So the main fuselage (right red line) would be approx. 1,50 m in height:

According to this nice shot again and the knowledge of the fuselage's height (thick red lines) the F-302 must be 11,20 m in length:

According to another great shot the F-302 has a wingspan of 21,50 m:

The Daedalus:

Well, now we know the F-302's wingspan of 21,50 m.

So the hangar doors must be 37 m wide. (This is not the only shot which shows a F-302 exiting the hangar but the other shots show exactly the same scale of the fighter and the door (approx. 1:1,7)

So the complete hangar pod is 78 m wide.

Here we have another perfect shot for scaling. The quality is not that great because I had to brighten the image.

According to this the Daedalus is approx 750 m (!) long. That sounds unbelievable and to big but it conforms with the statements that the Daedalus is some times bigger than the Prometheus.
    Note: The main fuselage (front) would be 48 m wide.

So we try to set it off:
    This is the main window of the Daedalus' bridge. Without the smaller side windows it may be some 2 m wide:

According to this image the main fuselage would be 41 m wide.

Really close to the 48 m! If we scale up the bridge window to 2,35 m we GET 48 m.

Just as well we can scale down the 750 m for a few percent. Due to the fact that there are ALWAYS inaccuracies in measuring it's safe to say that the Daedalus must be ~ 700 m in length.

EDIT:
    Thanks to AGT58's much better pic (post #98) I have to improve my "bridge window" calculation:

According to this the 2 m bridge window gives a 46 m fuselage's width, which is yet closer to the 48 m fuselage from the scaling via the F-302.
    So both the F-302 calculation as well as the bridge window calculation gives a 750 m Daedalus.
    Last edited by Einheitskanzler; 06 October 2007, 05:12 PM.

how can you tel its 700 m in flesh and blood the odessyes was bigger than the hat'ak and in company of theives the odessyes was smaller

Comment

Well, that are the figures and if the FX-guys didn't totally screwed it up in both shots the Daedalus is ~ 700 m in length.
      In terms of your Ha'tak comparison there is Camelot on the other hand where the BC-304s are slightly longer than the Ha'taks.

It's the old question which FX shots are "correct" and which ones are nonsense.
      Since there are three different scenes of a 700 m Daedalus I suppose this size may be the accurate.

Comment

I dont know if any of you collect the Stargate magazine but in one edition there was schematics of the Oddyssey with a F-302 in all the pics for scaling.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

So the hangar doors must be 37 m wide. (This is not the only shot which shows a F-302 exiting the hangar but the other shots show exactly the same scale of the fighter and the door (approx. 1:1,7)
          I'd ask this question in another thread but do you know if a Al'kesh bomber would fit in the F304's hanger bay????????

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Why the heck can't anyone measure it in FEET not meters! This is an AMERICAN site afterall, I REALLY HATE converting the measurements. No offense to anyone but this is an AMERICAN site so you all should use AMERICAN measurements.

AGT58

Comment

Meters works better, deal with it
              Scientists use meters.
              Hola

Hello

Comment

its not the rest of the world fault that they americans are too lazy to change to the metric system..... among other things!

Comment

Originally posted by AGT58 View Post
                  Why the heck can't anyone measure it in FEET not meters! This is an AMERICAN site afterall, I REALLY HATE converting the measurements. No offense to anyone but this is an AMERICAN site so you all should use AMERICAN measurements.

AGT58
                  This is really simple, take your calculator, type in the number of meters, in this case 700. Multiply by 3.281 and there you have it. 2296.7 feet. I'm just as bad at meters as you are but this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by happyclappy View Post
                    its not the rest of the world fault that they americans are too lazy to change to the metric system..... among other things!
                    Exactly, it's not our fault the Americans are so lazy. They even drive on the wrong side of the road fer' cryin' out loud

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Actually, Britain is, as far as I know, the only country that drives on the left side of the road.

And America is the most powerful country in the world in just about every way you can think of, so watch it with the American disses.

That said, I have no problem with the metric system. It really isn't that difficult to convert that kind of stuff in your head. At least approximations are pretty easy, you don't have to be exact to get a good idea of the sizing.
                      www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Metric system is easier to use cuz it's multiply/divide by 10 for each unit.
                        Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                          Actually, Britain is, as far as I know, the only country that drives on the left side of the road.
                          Japan.

Comment

Hifes are around 11km in length. The shot in 'Allies' where the Daedalus is hidden under the Hive shows it to be around a little over 10 times the length.

So from those measurements, it seems bigger than 700m.

Problem is they have screwed up a lot of the shots over the past few seasons. So it's possible that the exact sizes will never be known.

Prometheus is supposed to be around 200/250m. It can carry 8 302's. I've always imagined the 304's to be around double that size & carry 16 302's myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                              Anguilla
                              Antigua & Barbuda
                              Australia
                              Bahamas
                              Bangladesh
                              Barbados
                              Bermuda
                              Bhutan
                              Bophuthatswana
                              Botswana
                              British Virgin Islands
                              Brunei
                              Cayman Islands
                              Channel Islands
                              Ciskei
                              Cyprus
                              Dominica
                              Falkland Islands
                              Fiji
                              Grenada
                              Guyana
                              Hong Kong
                              India
                              Indonesia
                              Ireland
                              Jamaica
                              Japan
                              Kenya
                              Lesotho
                              Macau
                              Malawi
                              Malaysia
                              Malta
                              Mauritius
                              Montserrat
                              Mozambique
                              Namibia
                              Nepal
                              New Zealand
                              Pakistan
                              Papua New Guinea
                              St. Vincent & Grenadines
                              Seychelles
                              Sikkim
                              Singapore
                              Solomon Islands
                              Somalia
                              South Africa
                              Sri Lanka
                              St Kitts & Nevis
                              St. Helena
                              St. Lucia
                              Surinam
                              Swaziland
                              Tanzania
                              Thailand
                              Tonga
                              Trinidad & Tobago
                              Uganda
                              United Kingdom
                              US Virgin Islands
                              Venda
                              Zambia
                              Zimbabwe

And America is the most powerful country in the world in just about every way you can think of, so watch it with the American disses.
                              LOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X