Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martin Gero, or how SG's staff is great and fans are wrong.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martin Gero, or how SG's staff is great and fans are wrong.

http://gateworld.net/articles/interviews/gero01.shtml

MG: Well, let me give you an example. A lot of people didn't like "Grace Under Pressure," and a lot of people are also sick of McKay episodes and feel that there are other characters that could use the screen time and need developing. I don't disagree with that. You have to meter out how people approach an episode. If you're a big McKay fan you're going to like my episodes -- you're going to like those episodes that I've written about McKay. And if you don't like McKay, then that episode, regardless of how good it is, is going to have to struggle quite a lot for you to like it.
    Sure Martin. If I don't like what McKay became in season 2 of Atlantis, it's because I don't like the character.
    Sure.
    Funny that years ago, I was quite feeling lonely when I actually thought that McKay, while largely hated by the vast majority of the gaters, should get a role in the rumoured Atlantis spin-off.
    Funny that I thought he was very well written in Childhood's End. Did Martin sold his soul or something after that episode?
    Funny that now, for unknown reasons, McKay had to be turned into a lunatic overacting buffon, with forced slapstick humour, all coming in excess, for more comedy relief, to be happily enjoyed by the whole family, as he's the incarnation of the enhanced humour level that literally enchants Starlaugh now. The clown of the band. No more subtlety. That's not good for the new target audience you know. We want cheap actions, cheap stories. Cheap humour. Cheap everything, safe when it comes to pay people.

But I guess it's because I didn't like McKay that I hate Duet and GUP.

Or maybe it's because someone doesn't know what moderation means. But no, it must be the fans.

You know, television is really all about the characters. Story to a certain extent, but it really is about characters. I think more so than most shows, fans feel a great ownership over the characters of this series, and I think that's a wonderful thing. But it also gives them a bias towards episodes. So when a fan responds negatively to an episode that I've written, you always kind of have to meter it out where they're coming from. I take neither personally, and at the end of the day the only thing that really concerns me is the episode I'm working on at the moment.
    Ah yes, characters. Atlantis. I'm still laughing about that one.
    Teyla, Sheppard, Ronon, and the Ford fiasco.

I mean, I don't feel like I've had any flat-out failures, I don't think there've been episodes where people were like, "This is terrible!" Everyone seemed to really like "Duet," and some people really didn't like "Lost Boys," for instance. And I agree with both of them as to why they don't like or do like episodes. But at the end of the day my job is to impress Mr. Brad Wright, and as long as Mr. Brad Wright is happy with the work that I am doing, and we don't feel that we are losing people over the episodes that I'm writing then, you know ...
    Yes, everybody loved Duet. No one ever said "this is terrible!" about a given character either. Sure. What's the meaning of propaganda again. Why do I think that some people at Gateworld's have lost their <mod snip> when they should ask the right questions?
    Maybe some people think Lost Boys suck because it's part of the mid season two parter, that ends with The Hive, which is just as stupid as you can get in terms of lousy Wraith protrayal and plot holes (and who the **** deciced that a wraith dart HUD should look like anything but something that actually helps?). Maybe being surrounded by yes men and looking at the audience's responses though a bias filter doesn't really help. Or Maybe Mr. Wright should look at the first five seasons of SG-1 (and eventually the film, it wouldn't hurt), as it would actually open his eyes.
    Last edited by Skydiver; 15 May 2006, 06:56 PM.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Well at least you got that off your chest.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I see I'm not the only one that was more than a little unimpressed with the apparent "it's my party and you can all cry if you want to, but in the end I'm not listening and nobody really cares" vibe in that interview.

Well here's wishing you guys all a fun trip swirling 'round the bowl.

From what I've heard of your season 3 plans it's going to be a pretty fast and wild ride.

Say hello to the replicat-- er I mean "Asurans" for me. If you need me I'll be watching Battlestar Galactica.

You did however miss the best quote in the whole interview Mr. O.

GW: Yeah, from what we've been looking at everyone's shouting them out.(lies) How do you feel about fan response for your episodes, from what you've read?

MG: Well, if they like it I feel like it is positive. [Laughter] I don't know. What the fans think is very important, but I don't pay a lot of attention to it when they don't like an episode.

...eeerr whaa?

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
        I see I'm not the only one that was more than a little unimpressed with the apparent "it's my party and you can all cry if you want to, but in the end I'm not listening and nobody really cares" vibe in that interview.

Well here's wishing you guys all a fun trip swirling 'round the bowl.

From what I've heard of your season 3 plans it's going to be a pretty fast and wild ride.

Say hello to the replicat-- er I mean "Asurans" for me. If you need me I'll be watching Battlestar Galactica.

You did however miss the best quote in the whole interview Mr. O.

...eeerr whaa?
        Sounds as if gero has been attending cooper's scool of arrogance. Great mg-- listen to the fans BUT only if they like it - everyone else (and it seems that group of everyone else is growing for SGA as well as SG1) can pound sand because we won't listen to them because they are wrong, how dare they not like the bestest show. Geez these guys are tools aren't they. They are proving, along with thier shows, good for a laugh though.

Comment

Oddly I didn't read it as arrogance. I read it as a guy who acknowledges that people aren't going to like all episodes. If you don't like McKay, you are unlikely to enjoy a McKay based episode, even if it is good, because you are already predisposed not to like McKay.

I don't think he has said anything that can be considered arrogant, or if you don't like the show it's all about the fans. Although, to a certain extent it is, simply because if you don't like the show - you don't like the show or episode. It wasn't written with the intent of you not liking it.

And he is right aswell, some people do feel an ownership for characters and tend to get passionate about it. Not a bad thing, and he acknowledged it wasn't a bad thing.

What I read was an interview with a guy who conceeds that not everyone will like everything, that it wasn't designed for everyone to like it, that people have their reasons not to like it (including not likeing the character focus). I don't see him telling everyone that they are wrong with their opinion.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
            http://gateworld.net/articles/interviews/gero01.shtml

Sure Martin. If I don't like what McKay became in season 2 of Atlantis, it's because I don't like the character.
            Sure.
            Funny that years ago, I was quite feeling lonely when I actually thought that McKay, while largely hated by the vast majority of the gaters, should get a role in the rumoured Atlantis spin-off.
            Funny that I thought he was very well written in Childhood's End. Did Martin sold his soul or something after that episode?
            Funny that now, for unknown reasons, McKay had to be turned into a lunatic overacting buffon, with forced slapstick humour, all coming in excess, for more comedy relief, to be happily enjoyed by the whole family, as he's the incarnation of the enhanced humour level that literally enchants Starlaugh now. The clown of the band. No more subtlety. That's not good for the new target audience you know. We want cheap actions, cheap stories. Cheap humour. Cheap everything, safe when it comes to pay people.

But I guess it's because I didn't like McKay that I hate Duet and GUP.

Or maybe it's because someone doesn't know what moderation means. But no, it must be the fans.

Ah yes, characters. Atlantis. I'm still laughing about that one.
            Teyla, Sheppard, Ronon, and the Ford fiasco.

Yes, everybody loved Duet. No one ever said "this is terrible!" about a given character either. Sure. What's the meaning of propaganda again. Why do I think that some people at Gateworld's have lost their <mod snip> when they should ask the right questions?
            Maybe some people think Lost Boys suck because it's part of the mid season two parter, that ends with The Hive, which is just as stupid as you can get in terms of lousy Wraith protrayal and plot holes (and who the **** deciced that a wraith dart HUD should look like anything but something that actually helps?). Maybe being surrounded by yes men and looking at the audience's responses though a bias filter doesn't really help. Or Maybe Mr. Wright should look at the first five seasons of SG-1 (and eventually the film, it wouldn't hurt), as it would actually open his eyes.

If you hate the show this much then why are you still watching it?
            JOIN THE FIGHT FOR GALACTIC DOMINATION!

http://stargatewars.com/recruit.php?uniqid=dl1158117270

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
              Oddly I didn't read it as arrogance. I read it as a guy who acknowledges that people aren't going to like all episodes. If you don't like McKay, you are unlikely to enjoy a McKay based episode, even if it is good, because you are already predisposed not to like McKay.

I don't think he has said anything that can be considered arrogant, or if you don't like the show it's all about the fans. Although, to a certain extent it is, simply because if you don't like the show - you don't like the show or episode. It wasn't written with the intent of you not liking it.

And he is right aswell, some people do feel an ownership for characters and tend to get passionate about it. Not a bad thing, and he acknowledged it wasn't a bad thing.

What I read was an interview with a guy who conceeds that not everyone will like everything, that it wasn't designed for everyone to like it, that people have their reasons not to like it (including not likeing the character focus). I don't see him telling everyone that they are wrong with their opinion.
              I completely agree with Deevil. Although I'm a McKay lover, who wasn't too into GUP; I liked it, just not the best. I have to say that I did not denote any arrogance.

People have to realize that we at gateworld make up what? 2% if even that of the population of viewers....So most of the complaints are coming from people here who are not in the thousands, that make up the board, and also taking maybe a few upset fans at cons.

Why then should he really take all of our wants and needs into consideration? Don't get me wrong, I think they can scan over speculation and take a gander, and maybe concede that we do have a few points, but that doesn't mean that he has to follow what is said to a tee. And all in all Mr. Gero correct in his assessment.

VB
              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOragahn
                Or Maybe Mr. Wright should look at the first five seasons of SG-1 (and eventually the film, it wouldn't hurt), as it would actually open his eyes.
                And see all the plotholes, dropped storyarcs and underdeveloped characters that existed in the first five season aswell?

Of course they're idiots to not see it your way at all. They're frelling stupid because the show isn't being produced to your exacting specifications.

The worst part of fandom is the frelling fans. Selfish-ass fans.

Comment

U know what guys?

It's THEIR show, they can write whatever they wanna write and we should stop trying to write it for them...cos most of the people out there complaining about the show couldn't write anything near as good as it...

So how about u quit whining and go back to enjoying a TV show or turning it off...

Comment

Originally posted by Angel of Fire SG1
                    U know what guys?

It's THEIR show, they can write whatever they wanna write and we should stop trying to write it for them...cos most of the people out there complaining about the show couldn't write anything near as good as it...

So how about u quit whining and go back to enjoying a TV show or turning it off...

Exactly! Thank you.
                    JOIN THE FIGHT FOR GALACTIC DOMINATION!

http://stargatewars.com/recruit.php?uniqid=dl1158117270

Comment

There is already a thread to discuss Martin's interview.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                      X