This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Way Wormhole?

Okay, now I've been watching from the start, and one thing that has always bothered me, is the wormhole supposed to be two way or not, or is there some kind of safety mechanism, because, as you will have noticed, sometimes people can go back through the original wormhole and sometimes they can't. It always really bothered me, because it seems as if the stargate works one way to facilitate a plot and the other way for the same reason.

Solid objects such as people and equipment- one way only thru an outgoing wormhole

Energy and radio ways- two way can go both ways thru and outgoing and a incoming wormhole.

Comment

I've always believed that it was a safety mechanism put there by the
      Alterans to prevent people from annialating themselves.

As I understand it the gate converts you to energy then transmits you through a wormhole then reasembles you(unless I have it wrong). If enrgy rams into more energy it will cancel each other out thus resulting in the partial or total anniahlation of the energy. The greater energy still partially exists but not very much.

Comment

It was really stated as fact until season four's "Watergate" that solid matter cannot pass two-ways through a wormhole. Until then it was never shown as happening, but they did things (like closing the Iris on an out-going wormhole) that make you think things can pass back through an out-going.

The way it's been explained has been in the context of "wormhole physics." It's just one of the natural laws dictating wormholes. So it doesn't seem to be a safety mechanism.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
          It was really stated as fact until season four's "Watergate" that solid matter cannot pass two-ways through a wormhole. Until then it was never shown as happening, but they did things (like closing the Iris on an out-going wormhole) that make you think things can pass back through an out-going.

The way it's been explained has been in the context of "wormhole physics." It's just one of the natural laws dictating wormholes. So it doesn't seem to be a safety mechanism.
          They close the Iris to protect against radiation, as it can travel both ways and as far as I remember the only time someone might have been walking back through a wormhole is Children of the Gods.

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK
            They close the Iris to protect against radiation, as it can travel both ways and as far as I remember the only time someone might have been walking back through a wormhole is Children of the Gods.
            To my knowledge no episode has shown that.

Comment

Wormholes are to unstable for direct travel. What you see in a stargate is not a wormhole, it is an artificial 'event horizon'. Radio waves can pass both ways because they go through the event horizon freely into the actual wormhole - a conduit in space-time.

When you walk through the event horizon you are transitioned into a temporary interdimensional 'holding zone'. When you are fully through the event horizon the stargate dematerialises you and transmits you through the wormhole (which itself resides in the interdimensional 'holding zone' - like the TARDIS, the Stargate conducts a lot of its operations in a condensed, or possibly alternate, dimension). Transmission through the wormhole is a one-way process, one gate acting as a 'transmitter' and the other in a 'reciever' mode. When your matter stream reaches the other gate it puts you back together just beyond the threshold of the event horizon in its 'holding zone'. You then step through.

Walking through an incoming wormhole will most probably get you killed, as your matter will not be sent to the other gate and so will most likely just get discarded and lost. I wouldn't recomend it.

They mention the one-way nature of Stargate travel in series 2. It has always been like this, although I didn't notice it for a long time ...

From series 2's A Matter of Time:

CARTER: Lieutenant, close the iris!

SIMMONS: It's an outgoing wormhole. Nothing can come through this way

CARTER: Except for the black hole's gravity. Now close it! That's an order!

SIMMONS: Close the iris

In Children of the Gods, Apophis posesses a gate-dialing device, or possibly has his Jaffa manually dial the gate. He does not step through an incoming wormhole.

Comment

THE STARGATE OMNIPEDIA
                WORMHOLE
                An energy conduit formed between two active
                Stargates. A Stargate transfers a person or object into energy as it passes through the event horizon, then transmits it through the wormhole to the receiving Stargate -- which then reconstructs the matter in its original form.

Wormholes traverse vast distances across the galaxy, and even between galaxies. The conduit does not always exist, but is formed only between two active Stargates. An object can travel in only one direction in a wormhole, through the initiating gate.
                KEY EPISODE(S) -
                There But For the Grace of God - In an alternate reality, Samantha Carter learns the maximum length of time a wormhole can be maintained is 38 minutes.
                A Matter of Time - When the S.G.C. connects to a planet near a black hole, its time dilation effects Earth backwards through the wormhole -- which fails to shut down long after the 38 minute window has past.
                1969 - The gravity of a solar flare bends the wormhole back to Earth, throwing SG-1 back in time 30 years.
                Window of Opportunity - An Ancient device on P4X-639 forces 14 Stargates' wormholes within a certain sector of space to fall prey to a primitive time machine that restarts every 10 hours.
                Red Sky - By overriding the gate's built-in safety protocols, SG-1 accidentally establishes a wormhole through the planet K'Tau's sun -- bringing doom to their world.
                Ripple Effect - Carter explains that typical wormhole travel is not instantaneous. On average it takes approximately zero point three seconds.

https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
                  Wormholes are to unstable for direct travel. What you see in a stargate is not a wormhole, it is an artificial 'event horizon'. Radio waves can pass both ways because they go through the event horizon freely into the actual wormhole - a conduit in space-time.

When you walk through the event horizon you are transitioned into a temporary interdimensional 'holding zone'. When you are fully through the event horizon the stargate dematerialises you and transmits you through the wormhole (which itself resides in the interdimensional 'holding zone' - like the TARDIS, the Stargate conducts a lot of its operations in a condensed, or possibly alternate, dimension). Transmission through the wormhole is a one-way process, one gate acting as a 'transmitter' and the other in a 'reciever' mode. When your matter stream reaches the other gate it puts you back together just beyond the threshold of the event horizon in its 'holding zone'. You then step through.

Walking through an incoming wormhole will most probably get you killed, as your matter will not be sent to the other gate and so will most likely just get discarded and lost. I wouldn't recomend it.

They mention the one-way nature of Stargate travel in series 2. It has always been like this, although I didn't notice it for a long time ...

From series 2's A Matter of Time:

CARTER: Lieutenant, close the iris!

SIMMONS: It's an outgoing wormhole. Nothing can come through this way

CARTER: Except for the black hole's gravity. Now close it! That's an order!

SIMMONS: Close the iris

In Children of the Gods, Apophis posesses a gate-dialing device, or possibly has his Jaffa manually dial the gate. He does not step through an incoming wormhole.
                  Bravo, bravo. I applaud your use of the word dematerialization, most people use something like demolecularization or molecular deconstruction, which are very different things. That is a very intelligent post and you are getting reputation for it. The only thing that I might not agree with is your interdimensional holding zone, there is some kind of "holding zone" but it isn't interdimensional as defined by m-theory. But other than that congratulations.

Comment

On the subject of 'dematerialization,' I should note that there are several instances where the process is referred to as 'particalizing' the traveler.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                      Bravo, bravo. I applaud your use of the word dematerialization, most people use something like demolecularization or molecular deconstruction, which are very different things. That is a very intelligent post and you are getting reputation for it. The only thing that I might not agree with is your interdimensional holding zone, there is some kind of "holding zone" but it isn't interdimensional as defined by m-theory. But other than that congratulations.

The 'holding zone' is actually pattern crystals in the Stargate itself, ('48 Hours'?) which use a quantum imprint of a persons makeup. The alternate dimension part comes in with the wormhole itself, it doesn't exist in our 3-Dimensional space.
                      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

What bothers me is....

Sam said that energy can travel both ways across a wormhole, but matter can only flow one direction (several episodes this is reiteratated).

My question is, can I put a set of rings in front of one Stargate and another set on another planet in front of another Stargate and beam back AND forth between the planets through the same wormhole? Once I'm in the rings, I'm supposedly an energy stream, so if you direct that through the wormhole you should be able to send the energy from the rings through an INCOMING wormhole to the other side and rematerialize on that side. Same theory with Asgard beam technology.

They have also done this "sort of" in the episode "Beach-head" where Vala's energy stream from the ring transporter got sucked back into the blackhole in our galaxy and came out in a set of rings in the Ori galaxy. This involved going through a black hole and not a Stargate, but you see where I'm going...

Probably just a TPTB slip-up or they missed that little tid-bit entirely, but what do you think?
                        Last edited by tendomentis; 29 March 2006, 01:57 PM.
                        "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

Originally posted by tendomentis
                          What bothers me is....

Sam said that energy can travel both ways across a wormhole, but matter can only flow one direction (several episodes this is reiteratated).

My question is, can I put a set of rings in front of one Stargate and another set on another planet in front of another Stargate and beam back AND forth between the planets through the same wormhole? Once I'm in the rings, I'm supposedly an energy stream, so if you direct that through the wormhole you should be able to send the energy from the rings through an INCOMING wormhole to the other side and rematerialize on that side. Same theory with Asgard beam technology.

Probably just a TPTB slip-up or they missed that little tid-bit entirely, but what do you think?
                          I'm pretty sure that the rings work about the same way as the Stargate. And then, the same principal applies, if you are travelling against the energy stream as energy, there will be collisions. The rings would be transformed into energy, so therefore the energy would be transformed into another type. The rings would be lost, and so would you.
                          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Actually, I think that she may still have transported through the stargate, unless the black hole was, itself, a wormhole and even then it seems awfully convenient that it would be a wormhole leading to an Ori planet.

Comment

y can the gouald go both ways like in the first ep they come through grab the girl and go back through

Comment

Working...
                              X