This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Mallozzi Appreciation Thread

There are many things that we can say about Joe... and I can only think of all of them to be good. I believe that most of us at GW will miss him, his insights, his ice cream recipes, his love for animes, his patience with the fans, his passion for movies and his vague but precise answers... I do have to say that I loved and will miss his "maybes", "someday", "probably", "why not"....

And in Joe Mallozzi's own words a little bit more about him:

From the Ask Joe Thread

01. What is your favorite word?
    Ice cream.

02. What is your least favorite word?
    Diet.

03. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
    Lately - t.v. on DVD.

04. What turns you off?
    Most theatrical releases.

05. What is your favorite curse word?
    The one that starts with an "Aw - " then launces into a four syllable expletive.

06. What sound or noise do you love?
    The sound of doorbell sounding when the delivery guy arrives with the food.

07. What sound or noise do you hate?
    Nails on a blackboard.

08. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
    Chef. Children's book writer. Spy.

09. What profession would you not like to do?
    Anything that would require me to work really high up.

10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
    Finally!

I hope you appreciate Joe as much as I do... so help me keep this thread rocking and going!!!!

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
    Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

My fave Joe moments were from his blog. Including this classic entry about PC for PCs

and, no doubt, the best gift I received: the 2005 version of PC for PC's, a software program that can transform any script into a politically correct, thoroughly uncontroversial masterpiece. It says right on the box: "Guaranteed to re-format scripts to pat, inoffensive standards". I couldn't resist and ran my first draft of Morpheus through the program. The script came in at over 120+ pages because, it turned out, I had the "Nothing Left to the Imagination" option turned on. This option ensures that even a Bornean exchange student with no understanding of the English language will know exactly which character is where, doing what and, most importantly, why. The solution to the problem our characters face is immediately presented to the audience within the first five minutes in order to avoid the unpleasantness of mystery and having to wait forty-some minutes for the answer to ponderously reveal itself. Another reason for the high page count is that the team is never separated! Instead of having Daniel at the ruins deciphering Ancient script while Carter is in the lab working on a piece of tech as Landry is in his office talking to the Pentagon, the entire team gets to participate in all facets of discovery - watching while Daniel deciphers, looking on as Carter experiments, and squeezing into Landry's office for that call with the Pentagon. "But hang on!"you're probably saying. "This sounds like a pretty heavy Daniel-Carter-Landry episode. It sounds like Mitchell, Vala, and Teal'c will be doing nothing but standing around!" Well, here's good news. PC for PC's actually revises the dialogue, ensuring that each character has an equal amount of screentime. The beauty of the program is that, rather than counting lines or words, it actually provides a syllable count, ensuring that every character enunciates an equal amount of syllables in every episode. Certain words are automatically replaced to assure equality - for instance, Carter's: "I'm shocked!" might be revised to "I'm flabbergasted!", providing those three extra syllables necessary for uniformity. Also, kiss those "Who should be team leader?" debates goodbye because, thanks to PC for PC's, everyone gets to be team leader! Mitchell, Carter, Daniel, Teal'c, Vala - even fan favorite Walter Harriman gets to flex his command muscles. And, perhaps the best part of the program is that it removes any potential unpleasantness that might be deemed disrespectful to one of our main characters. No more: "Oh, Carter is in trouble. The writers are doing damsel in distress!" or "Oh, Daniel is captured. The writers are making him look vulnerable." Rather than traveling off-world and encountering problems that could present a danger to them, now, the team will travel off-world and "think" they've encoutered a problem that could present a danger to them - only, it turns out, that what they've encountered is neither dangerous nor problematic, but gloriously unexceptional. After the requisite 12 page tag scene in which our characters offer a detailed summary of the events we've just seen unfold, we go out on the closing credits which will be comprised of one enourmous card holding the names of everyone involved in the production, from show runner to on-set boot-scuffer. As the closing theme plays, the names will automatically change positions every quarter second in a thoroughly random pattern, again ensuring equality for all.
    Like many people, I used to love having the opportunity to talk to such a witty, intelligent and creative human being, getting the inside scoop on Stargate as well as getting insight into what made him tick.

We'll miss you Joe!
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Gotta agree no matter how vague or how much I hated the answer given. Joe used his own time answering fan questions, nothing can be more generous. Take care Joe! And thanks for the recipes.

Btw was he ever in any ep.?

Comment

Joe,
        I think there have been as many times when you gave me hope for my passion with Ship as when you were sooooo vague that I wanted to zat you!!! But, you always entertained me with your humour, wit, and charm!!!

I wish you much success in whatever you do!!! Thanks for sharing your time with us!!! nell

P.S. Last chance to respond.....will Sam and Jack have a BIG, HONKIN' KISS in the 200th anniversary special??!!
        sigpic

Comment

Joe sorry to see you go. Keep the light burning for the shipper family behind the scenes. We need all the help we can get! Wish you well!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell
            Joe,
            I think there have been as many times when you gave me hope for my passion with Ship as when you were sooooo vague that I wanted to zat you!!! But, you always entertained me with your humour, wit, and charm!!!

I wish you much success in whatever you do!!! Thanks for sharing your time with us!!! nell

P.S. Last chance to respond.....will Sam and Jack have a BIG, HONKIN' KISS in the 200th anniversary special??!!
            Nice try Nell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassie
              Gotta agree no matter how vague or how much I hated the answer given. Joe used his own time answering fan questions, nothing can be more generous. Take care Joe! And thanks for the recipes.

Btw was he ever in any ep.?
              Cassie, Joe was in SG-1 100th episodes... I don't know if was credited as Doughnut Guy in Wormhole Extreme.... but have a look in that ep

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
              Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
              Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

Although I never actually asked you anything (shame on me!) I did appreciate it you always generally being there in one form or another as that plothole 'scape goat and spoiler monkey

Anyway, we'll miss ya Joe, take care and have a good one

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

I hope you stop by to read this some time Joe.

As annoying as we the online fanbase can be, we still appreciated the fact that you spent time with us.

Hope you return some day and play with us again. The neighborhood won't be the same without you.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Oooober's right. We can be right royal pain in the Mik'ta's at times, but we appreciate it so much. There aren't many people in the TV industry that take the time like you do.

Comment

Joe is a snark master and I bow at his feet for that fact alone... secretly hoping he's not wearing shoes that make his feet smell.

Joe took the time to contribute in ways unique in the tv industry. The man rocks quite simply.

sigpic

Comment

Joe. I really hope that you get a chance to read this thread! Thanks very much for the time and effort you put in with your blog and thread. We might not have always shown it, but we did appreciate it!
                        always and forever
                        My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
                        My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Well, Joe, I've got to say, it's been a great ride.

I can't even begin to express how much I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to share some insights with us.

I especially liked reading your blog and your "In the Making" segments. And whenever I hear a "why not" or "anything is possible", I've gotta think of you.

Thank you for putting up with us all these years. I know it couldn't have been easy at times. And no matter what, I hope you enoyed it, too.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for giving us some of the greatest Stargate episodes, like Window of Opportunity and most recently Ripple Effect.

Take care, enjoy Season 10 and try not to miss us too much.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

And, of course, there's always a plot of land with your name on over in Shipper Town

Comment

We'll miss you Joe, for your blog, your vague answers, your anime schedules, your DVD schedules, your insights to how things worked in a story and how things are progressing behind the scenes.

But above all, we'll miss your snark. Seriously! Those come backs in the comments sections of your blog were sheer brilliance!

You were one-of-a-kind Joe, the TV exec who would take time to talk to us lowly fans, and for that, I think you'll be remembered among them, hopefully in positive light.

Comment

Working...
                              X