This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-Fi For Dummies

In another thread (Being the Anti-Kirker I am), I noted that TPTB, for inspiration for Shep, had obviously been reading Sci-Fi For Dummies Chapter 7: Writing your lead character with a case study of Captain Kirk.

So what other suggestions are there for chapters in this book?

Chapter 8: From Wormholes To Plotholes: A history of Enterprise
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

I think this thread would get the attention it deseves in the general scifi section.

Chapter 3: Getting a way with as little science as possible.
    Chapter 3b: Meaningless technobabble: phase inverting the unionized polar flux

I'm sure there'd be a section towards the end concerning redefining past events to gloss over your errors and lack of foresight and future planning.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Last chapter - Closing your cancelled show by way of a mini-series...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
      "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Chapter 5: How not to screw up your main character

Comment

Part of Last note: Be sure to read this book as many times as it takes to memorize it.
          "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
          'Eleanor Roosevelt'
          Individuality is freedom lived.
          'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Chapter 2: How to include romance w/o turning your greatest show into a soap opera
            sigpic

Comment

Chapter One: Reusable Plotlines
              1.1: Character of the Week Romance
              1.2: Invasion Earth
              1.3: Clip Shows

Comment

Chapter 12: Body Switching
                • Between Species
                  Between Genders
                  Between Opposite Characters
                "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
                " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
                Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Chapter 17: How to make shipper episodes

Comment

Erised, honey... if that's in there, they sure haven't read it yet!

Comment

Chapter second-to-last: the many forms of Deus ex machina - in other words...how any times does the Big Ship show up to save the day?

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

Working...
                      X