This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth rebellion 5k years ago

Ok I was pondering this, the Gou'ald are evil so when the rebellion happened on earth 5k years ago why did RA just go into orbit on bombard the planet destroying the rebellion from space?

Only Reason I can come up with is the writers, after all Ra should have a whole Army of jaffa, seems kinda a joke that a bunch of peasents kicks his butt off the planet.

My only theory is that since he was at war with Apophis, maybe we didn't want to waste any of his military strength on such a primitive planet. Seriously, the only good about Earth was the hosts and Ra had already transplanted them all across the galaxy. Our planet didn't even have naquadah. It would have been a waste of time to do anything, much easier just to pick up and move.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking, the planet was just a base, that and Abydos. No Naquada present, no real armies around. I think they were just planets he could hang out with between battles with ol' snake head and keeping the other system lords in line
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

If the rebellion hadn't succeeded we wouldn't have had a movie or a show. I'm really not trying to be a smart alec but seriously, I don't think there is a good canon reason. Knowing what we know of the Goa'uld, even if Ra's Jaffa could be successfully overthrown (which seems unlikely), Ra would have wiped out everyone on Earth for not worshipping him. There's no way Ra would just be "Oh ok you overthrew me, so I'm off, catch ya later".

While the above posters make a good point that our planet was not worth it, still I doubt Ra would want to leave a planet full of potential slaves and hosts for one of his enemies to come and claim. Plus it's not like it takes a lot of military resources to wipe out the ancient egyptians, a few shots from his mothership would have done it.

I think it was just the only way the writers could make things work.

Comment

We have no idea what exactly happen during the rebellion do we?

Bear in mind that there were two ancient time travel ships in egypt at the time of the uprising.

before anyone corrects me there was one not two, think temporal:

The initial one that SG1 took back and couldnt actually get there hands on and left, then the same ships went back in time to five years after the point it was lost, so the 1st ship would still be there buried waiting to be dug up.

Anyway all it would take is two of those to blow the crap outta Ra's hatak ships to make him think that this planet is maybe not worth incuring the wrath of the ancients, he already had some knowledge about them evidenced by the ancient tablet seen in full circle. He may have thought intervening and blowing them up could have incurred further wrath.

just my two cents

Comment

Not really, that tablet could have been from anywhere, he may have hidden it because he couldnt translate it, and instead of risking it falling into the hands of those who can translate it he hid it. As for the puddle jumpers, Ra would have beaten them, they had next to no ammo so I doubt they would have done much to Ra's armada if he did attack
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

what about that "what fate omaroca" guy? He sed his mate Omaroca came to earth to help fight the goa'uld. They seem pretty advanced, maybe they helped out.

Comment

she got killed by a goauld before she could do anything.

Comment

All I can think of, is that certain things have to be overlooked for the sake of the show. Maybe Ra was just having a bad day. You know, wasn't in much of a destroy-the-planet mood. You never know.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

well just for the sake of fanwanking this one..

Do we know that Ra himself was actually on Earth when the rebellion happened?
                    He could have been taking a vacation or something or more likely oppressing some poor folks into building a pyramid on Abydos ie. Earth was in the back of his mind by then. Then the people took advantage, rose up and defeated the Jaffa and the Goa'uld decided that there was no benefit in coming back since they had plenty of slaves, and lots of naquadah.

And also, perhaps not long after that the Asgard were hanging around in orbit and we just weren't worth the trouble of taking them on.

I also suspect that although Earth was mostly Goa'uld free they didn't exactly stop kidnapping people every now and then when they could get away with it.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                      I also suspect that although Earth was mostly Goa'uld free they didn't exactly stop kidnapping people every now and then when they could get away with it.
                      That seems pretty plausible to me. Maybe Ra though he could retake Earth at some later time. Or at least keep claiming slaves every now and then.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I remember a scene from the movie, but I can't remember if it was one of the deleted scenes or not, so help me out with that.

Anyway, in this scene, we see a couple of Jaffa that were found buried next to the gate in Giza. It looks like the Jaffa were flattened, and we know the gate was buried.

I'm thinking Ra didn't want to destroy too many of his slaves (since they're resources). So he takes off in his ship, gets to Abydos (probably), and sends a couple of Jaffa through the gate to try some sort of surgical attack. Maybe he thinks these two can assassinate the leaders of the rebellion and then he can come back and rule at large again. But the gate has been buried, the Jaffa never return and Ra decides it's not worth the effort.

Or maybe he got in some sort of catfight with another Goa'uld and that distracted him for a few thousand years.

Or maybe, just maybe, there's something on Earth besides the Tauri (don't know how to spell that, sorry) that scared the living daylights out of Ra and the rebellion just happened to co-incide with his discovery of that scary thing. That could be a fun premise for an episode.
                        Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Comment

Originally posted by rohannen of zorbia
                          Or maybe, just maybe, there's something on Earth besides the Tauri (don't know how to spell that, sorry) that scared the living daylights out of Ra and the rebellion just happened to co-incide with his discovery of that scary thing. That could be a fun premise for an episode.
                          The Asgard were probably showing up at about that time. They could have stayed Ra's hand from wiping humanity off the face of the Earth. [/speculation]

Earth was a backwards planet, with no technology or needed resources, so the Goa'uld must have lost interest in it, until Apophis, in a moment of curiosity, decided to dial up and see what was going on.

a time to mourn

Comment

The Asgard can't have been responsible, they couldnt do anyhting for earth before Season 3. Earth was not under the protected planets treaty, and so had they attacked the plantes being protected would be open to a Goa'uld invasion, with the Asgard unable to do much about it

Originally posted by rohannen of zorbia
                            Perhaps an ancient was involved. Perhaps one Ancient, or an ascendant knew something of the future (the ori maybe?) and decided to break the rules a little in order to allow the Earth a chance at stopping the Ori once and for all. I doubt that they could have made a major change by forcing Ra to abandon Earth without being stopped in time, but a minor one, like protecting the planet, (i know it makes little sence, but the ancients are all about life and knowledge, so protecting life rather than changing it may have been OK) So the Ascendant took advantage of the rebellion and Ra's leaving, and acted on it, we know Oma breaks the rules, so did Orlin in Season 5, perhaps there were more that did the same...
                            Last edited by The Signal; 08 November 2005, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I think Ra did strike back. It was just so long ago you can't tell. Then when he was done he left for his cover was blown.
                              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Working...
                              X