Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will Mitchell have something to do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will Mitchell have something to do?

As much as I like Vala, I'm really getting annoyed that every single episode is driven by something her character does. She's like the Dr. Smith of SG-1. So far, all the eps have been the Daniel and Vala show, leaving Teal'c and Mitchell out in the cold. I think this is especially problematic for Mitchell because he's the new leader and we barely know him. And it just seems weird to hire Ben Browder to just be in the background for ep after ep. What's the point in that? And I have to say that things don't look any better in this regard from next week's previews.

I've been seeing a lot of comments online that the writers need to give Mitchell something to do, and I wholeheartedly agree. Is anyone else annoyed by this? I'm really ready to see Mitchell have a more active role in this show.

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
    I think this is especially problematic for Mitchell because he's the new leader and we barely know him. And it just seems weird to hire Ben Browder to just be in the background for ep after ep. What's the point in that?
    I've been seeing a lot of comments online that the writers need to give Mitchell something to do, and I wholeheartedly agree. Is anyone else annoyed by this? I'm really ready to see Mitchell have a more active role in this show.
    I just believe it's a case of TPTB being overly-sensitive to bringing in a new show and team leader. They are taking their time gradually building Mitchell into a likeable character... feeling his way and establishing respect and comeraderie. If they'd all been established as a team and all friends from the get-go, they'd have been accused of the easy way out and 'why is that new guy having the storyline and screentime?'

I've really liked the way that they have introduced his character but I agree, we need to see Mitchell as more than background now. However, we possibly wont see this until they are established as a 'real' SG-1 unit.

Comment

yea im still not liking the character.. i found him boring again.. though his character in episode 4.. it was better... guess it will just take a bit more time...

Comment

Originally posted by tofuchef
        yea im still not liking the character.. i found him boring again.. though his character in episode 4.. it was better... guess it will just take a bit more time...
        But if he had more to do, we'd learn more about him and see more of his personality, and you probably wouldn't find him boring.

Comment

But if he had more to do, we'd learn more about him and see more of his personality, and you probably wouldn't find him boring.
          i don't find mitchell boring at all. i *loved* his flashback scenes in avalon 1 (i played them back last night when i was rewatching sam scenes).

i can't wait for find out more about him. him and landry and lam. i only decided to watch the first five sam-less eps because i not only wanted to know what was going on for when sam returned (yes, she's my fave character and number one reason for watching ), but i wanted to get to know the new ppl.

i'm ready (more than) to learn more about mitchell.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

As much as I like Vala, I'm really getting annoyed that every single episode is driven by something her character does. She's like the Dr. Smith of SG-1. So far, all the eps have been the Daniel and Vala show, leaving Teal'c and Mitchell out in the cold. I think this is especially problematic for Mitchell because he's the new leader and we barely know him. And it just seems weird to hire Ben Browder to just be in the background for ep after ep. What's the point in that? And I have to say that things don't look any better in this regard from next week's previews.

I agree with you to an extent...only thing I'm keeping in mind is the fact that because of real life circumstances (that being Amanda's maternity leave), SG-1 basically for all intents and purposes does not exist yet. The tv show we're watching right now is really more like Stargate Command (although it kind of feels like the Daniel/Vala Variety Show)...and this, as TPTB have pointed out, is the running joke of the first several eps...because Cameron's a TEAM OF ONE. There IS no SG-1 team except for him.

So without a TEAM we have no real team scenarios and the eps have to be based on something else. Enter Vala...a somewhat intriguing, manipulative, funny, overbearing, annoying character that knows how to rile Jackson up and of course is key to the direction the series took...she found, um, strike that...I mean stole the tablet and bracelets; and they've been on a few related adventures as a result...but no REAL SG-1 team exists.

And because there's no team and the first several eps and the story arcs revolve essentially around Vala and the things she does/has done, we haven't had a reason to get to know Cam or talk to Teal'c much. I mean logically it makes sense from this angle why we have seen so little of him but you're right...it feels odd to have new characters that are such blank slates 4 eps into the new season.

I believe this will all change once Sam returns. The team issue will probably be resolved within the first few eps of her return and we'll actually have a team, and therefore reason to see more of Cam.

Last edited by Uber; 06 August 2005, 01:42 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
              I just believe it's a case of TPTB being overly-sensitive to bringing in a new show and team leader. They are taking their time gradually building Mitchell into a likeable character... feeling his way and establishing respect and comeraderie. If they'd all been established as a team and all friends from the get-go, they'd have been accused of the easy way out and 'why is that new guy having the storyline and screentime?'

I've really liked the way that they have introduced his character but I agree, we need to see Mitchell as more than background now. However, we possibly wont see this until they are established as a 'real' SG-1 unit.
              This question is still valid but it is for Vala. And in reality shes not even a new guy shes a guest star. Since when do guess stars show up in all the promo pics? odd.

Oh well I think Mitchell will get more time once this actually becomes a team show. As stated right now this it just the adventures of Daniel Jackson and his side kick Vala... or is that the Adventures of Vala and her side kick Daniel Jackson.

I am looking forward to the return of team eps and am hoping to learn more about Mitchell and I am really looking forward to see how\why Teal'c comes back.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                This question is still valid but it is for Vala. And in reality shes not even a new guy shes a guest star. Since when do guess stars show up in all the promo pics? odd.
                Answer: when they have a large fan base from another show.

What's the purpose of promotion? Isn't to attract people to watch the show who might not necessarily do so?

Comment

I think Mitchell is doing fine in SG-1 so far... he's enjoying his experience discovering new things about the ancients and he's happy to allow Daniel and Vala to do stuff. From the look of the episodes to come after this Ori-introduction arc, once Carter is back SG-1 will be a proper team again and Mitchell will have his off-base mission responsiblities and consequences just like anyone else. Until then, I'm enjoying his newcomer experiences.
                  //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                  Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

I'd like to see Mitchell be a bit more useful myself. Right now it always feels like he's just tagging along with Daniel and Vala wherever they go. Even worse in that respect is Teal'c. At least Mitchell gets to do something now and then while tagging along; Teal'c just stands there and looks imposing.

Like most of us, I'm waiting for "Beachhead," Sam's return, and the subsequent recreation of SG-1. But now I'm kinda starting to worry that because I'm looking forward to that episode and the return of SG-1 so much, it might not be able to live up to my expectations.
                    Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                    Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                    Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                    Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

i think they need to build on Mitchell's character too. Although we all know he won't be commading SG-1, i think the writers need to work on his backround. He IS a military officer, so they should show some of that training in him. Show that he has a serious side. Show him in a situation that requires something besides witty one-liners.
                      Tell us how long he's been in the military.
                      Tell us the difficulties he's gone through (besides the battle with Anubis in Antarctica).

He's very one-sided right now. Basically, as you said, ShardsofGlass, they shouldn't bother with expanding on a short-term character like Vala, and focus on a character who will be on the show long-term.
                      Last edited by nfx; 06 August 2005, 09:15 AM.
                      'A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner." '
                      --Neil McCauley
                      Heat

Comment

Maybe they're holding out the more long term arcs for Carter's return, so she can be in on all those stories and we don't have to fill up an episode with exposition. Lord knows there's enough of that already.

I have something for Mitchell to do: Grab Vala by the arm, steer her past poor old hapless Daniel and say, "listen. Quit goofing with us or I'll kick your butt to the other side of the universe." I bet she'd listen and I bet sparks would fly. He sure looked like he wanted to do that when she was playing Arlos' feelings for her. Mitchell looks like a take charge guy but I really have the feeling that someone (SGC? The writers?) are holding him back. He looks like he's ready to do something! already. Let him.

I like Vala, I love Claudia Black, but I agree that the show's going a bit far with Vala, unless they start to give her some more depth. Black's an exceedingly capable actress and while I love the comedy, let's get a little more characterization. Please. Soon. Or I'll be mad.

Comment

Originally posted by nfx
                          i think they need to build on Mitchell's character too. Although we all know he won't be commading SG-1, i think the writers need to work on his backround. He IS a military officer, so they should show some of that training in him. Show that he has a serious side. Show him in a situation that requires something besides witty one-liners.
                          Tell us how long he's been in the military.
                          Tell us the difficulties he's gone through (besides the battle with Anubis in Antarctica).

He's very one-sided right now. Basically, as you said, ShardsofGlass, they shouldn't bother with expanding on a short-term character like Vala, and focus on a character who will be on the show long-term.
                          I must've missed something. How do we all know Mitchell won't be commanding SG-1 again?

I agree that Mitchell's background should be explored more fully, but come on, we've got a whole season for that. I think TPTB are doing their damnedest to make these first few Carterless episodes a bit of a rollercoaster ride. Keep the momentum up so no one really notices that Carter's gone and keep the tone light so Carter can share in the rough times rather than Vala, who wouldn't care.
                          Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                          Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                          Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                          Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Jeez why are people so impaitent? It's been four episodes. They have a five episode story arch going on involving Vala. Just hold your freaking horses.
                            Last edited by MartoufMarty; 06 August 2005, 10:04 AM.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                            Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
                              I think TPTB are doing their damnedest to make these first few Carterless episodes a bit of a rollercoaster ride. Keep the momentum up so no one really notices that Carter's gone and keep the tone light so Carter can share in the rough times rather than Vala, who wouldn't care.
                              I think you hit the nail on the head. O'Neill's gone and most people seem to be handling that. Now you've got Carter out for 5 episodes. So do TPTB try to go Carter-lite, or do they go completely opposite?

Well, they have a popular genre actress, who can also act, who sounds, looks and behaves completely differently than Carter. They bring her in to do just what you say--carry some lightweight stories, have a little fun/rollercoaster ride, perhaps pull in some new fans (and hopefully not completely alienate the old ones), and bring in a couple of new bad guys.

This gets them through the first five episodes until AT returns and then they can get into the meat and potatoes of SG1.

I'm a new fan so all the meat and potatoes stuff doesn't interest me too much because it's too many years of history and I hate exposition--I'm kind of enjoying the dessert part.

But I do want to see some better characterizations of Mitchell, Vala, Lam and Landry before Vala leaves, and certainly for the rest, before the season ends, or I'll be quite disappointed.

And, as a Claudia Black fangirl, I have to say that most guest actresses don't always have the chops to jump into an established show and help carry a storyline along. Love or hate Vala, I think Claudia Black is doing an excellent job with what she's been given. I just want them to give her more (not time, necessarily, just depth).

Comment

Working...
                              X