• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    What I would like to see:

Individual movies (SGA / SGU) ---------> Brand new show
    What Chaka said.

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
    Stargate also has a Loki. That has to be worth a few more percentage points.
    So basically, we already have a Cinematic Universe -- at least as far as characters go.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The only thing that truly puzzles me is that when MGM sold off it's properties to get out of debt, it kept 2 specifically: Bond, and Stargate.
      Bond, sure, but why be gung ho about keeping gate if you do nothing with it?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Anyone remember the Goa'uld who created naquadria on Langara? No?

How's this:

Thanos

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          The only thing that truly puzzles me is that when MGM sold off it's properties to get out of debt, it kept 2 specifically: Bond, and Stargate.
          Bond, sure, but why be gung ho about keeping gate if you do nothing with it?
          The only reason I can think of: they don't want to sell it to someone else because they know this someone else will put it to good use and run away with all the credit when they do, and MGM will be left with nothing but the price they sold it for (which would pale in comparison).

So instead they sit on it until a rainy day, or out of spite.

The fact that they didn't even aknowledge the #StargateNow campaign, not a word and we were quite vocal for 2 hours (trending and everything), tells me they have no interest in pursuing more stargate. Not at this time anyway.

Stargate Command literally was a test, and I can't tell whether it was succesful in their eyes or not. Depends on what they'll do next.

What I do know is, if you praise Stargate Origins or Stargate Command, chances are you'll get a notion or a mention or a reply. If you criticise any of it, they're isn't a peep. And when you are not a paying customer and ask them a question, chances are you'll be ignored all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
            Anyone remember the Goa'uld who created naquadria on Langara?
            SCU is shaping up! There needs to be some collectible gems or other powerful items for the gate teams to chase after and a new solitary villain who poses an existential threat if the villain gets to them first.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            The only reason I can think of: they don't want to sell it to someone else because they know this someone else will put it to good use and run away with all the credit when they do, and MGM will be left with nothing but the price they sold it for (which would pale in comparison).
            Yes and what a waste to let it gather dust.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            What I do know is, if you praise Stargate Origins or Stargate Command, chances are you'll get a notion or a mention or a reply. If you criticise any of it, they're isn't a peep. And when you are not a paying customer and ask them a question, chances are you'll be ignored all the same.
            I support Origins and the cast and crew's creativity and talent. I do not support the SGC app due to its inherent divisions of fans and rude treatment of fans.

Comment

SCU is shaping up! There needs to be some collectible gems or other powerful items for the gate teams to chase after and a new solitary villain who poses an existential threat if the villain gets to them first.
              Ahem *cough* *cough*...

There was that time Anubis was searching for six crystals; the "Eyes of the Goa'uld"; to build his superweapon...

And...

*cough*

There's that video game demo/prototype I happen to be working on that follows that storyline somewhat...

...nothing to see here.

Comment

There was that time Anubis was searching for six crystals; the "Eyes of the Goa'uld"; to build his superweapon...
                LOL! You are right!

There's that video game demo/prototype I happen to be working on that follows that storyline somewhat...
                Sounds fun!

Comment

Sokar's advocate here

I think it's important not to jump to conclusions at this time. Here's my 5 cent as a business guy:

We need to assume that Management is looking at the data from the SG:O campaign in order to assess a possibility of a new show. It would be standard practice for the company NOT to reply to any fan campaign, solicitation, direct questioning, etc.. All and any information(s) related to that project (if it exists) would be kept under wrap until an official decision is made and a course of action agreed upon by a majority of the Board members and stakeholders.

Big project ventures such as a TV series move slow in a Corporation / incorporated company. The Television Industry is not the same as it used to be, customers now have a variety of platform and channels at their disposition (Netflix, etc.), contrary to the environment SG used to air (Cable TV).

Many elements needs to be assessed:
                  • Projected sales and revenues
                  • Platform type to be used (TV, Streaming, etc.)
                  • Costs inquired
                  • yada yada

The Twitter storm is simply more data to be considered and definitely helps assessing the sales potential. I think people shouldn't be expecting a response so soon, we are definitely not going to see the social media employee take initiative and respond to hundreds of thousands of fans!
                  Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 16 May 2018, 07:10 AM. Reason: Typos
                  Spoiler:
                  I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Sokar's advocate here

I think it's important not to jump to conclusions at this time. Here's my 5 cent as a business guy:

We need to assume that Management is looking at the data from the SG:O campaign in order to assess a possibility of a new show. It would be standard practice for the company NOT to reply to any fan campaign, solicitation, direct questioning, etc.. All and any information(s) related to that project (if it exists) would be kept under wrap until an official decision is made and a course of action agreed upon by a majority of the Board members and stakeholders.

Big project ventures such as a TV series move slow in a Corporation / incorporated company. The Television Industry is not the same as it used to be, customers now have a variety of platform and channels at their disposition (Netflix, etc.), contrary to the environment SG used to air (Cable TV).

Many elements needs to be assessed:
                    • Projected sales and revenues
                    • Platform type to be used (TV, Streaming, etc.)
                    • Costs inquired
                    • yada yada

The Twitter storm is simply more data to be considered and definitely helps assessing the sales potential. I think people shouldn't be expecting a response so soon, we are definitely not going to see the social media employee take initiative and respond to hundreds of thousands of fans!
                    I agree, but as one of the people on the side of the fans, I can clearly prove that not hearing about anything also has a negative effect. After SGU's cancellation we never heard anything and I was always optimistic something would happen. Or at least I could dream about it. Now that it has happened and it's silent again, I'm far less hopeful.

Basically, at least with regards to the video game world, I know that there is a fine line between revealing too much too fast, or keeping things under wraps for too long. If you pump up the hype for a few months, and then keep quiet, that just won't work. If you reveal everything, and the final result won't live up to the hype, same thing.

It is my opinion that MGM reached both extremes. They hyped up Stargate Origins, and particularly the "future of Stargate", and it totally under-delivered (regardless of any one's opinion of Origins). Then after Origins ended, they're suddenly keeping quiet about that same "future". They extended the All-Access, and yet they remain quiet about everything else. But they never hit that sweet spot of revealing just enough to keep us on our toes, while avoiding revealing too much. I attribute that to the fact that MGM could never do this well with Stargate, ever since it began with the TV franchise in 1997.

Comment

Sokar's advocate here !
                      Ha! I like that.

kept under wrap until an official decision is made
                      It seems as if there are 2 things the audience would like to see: 1) acknowledgement of the Twitter storm and 2) plans for more Stargate. These items do not have to be mutually inclusive. Keeping the numbers side under wraps while evaluating is understandable, but couldn’t they have Tweeted, “Shout out to all the Stargate fans tearing it up on Twitter!”? Nothing would have had to have been said about any future plans, just a brief tip of the hat to the fans.

customers now have a variety of platform and channels at their disposition (Netflix, etc.), contrary to the environment SG used to air (Cable TV).
                      The environment has changed, yet is a revival of audience involvement and empowerment. For most of human history, storytellers had to perform their works before a live audience and get immediate feedback to adjust what did and did not work for next time. The internet is bringing audience involvement back, but with a global scale. This even includes authors of printed works, who find themselves speaking on podcasts and adding QR codes to books which link to YouTube videos. The audience can also benchmark what other franchises are doing more easily. This is more reason for MGM to at least acknowledge the audience.

Comment

It is my opinion that MGM reached both extremes. They hyped up Stargate Origins, and particularly the "future of Stargate", and it totally under-delivered (regardless of any one's opinion of Origins). Then after Origins ended, they're suddenly keeping quiet about that same "future".

It seems as if there are 2 things the audience would like to see: 1) acknowledgement of the Twitter storm and 2) plans for more Stargate. These items do not have to be mutually inclusive. Keeping the numbers side under wraps while evaluating is understandable, but couldn’t they have Tweeted, “Shout out to all the Stargate fans tearing it up on Twitter!”? Nothing would have had to have been said about any future plans, just a brief tip of the hat to the fans.
                        In a strategic point of view, *teasing* the fans and insinuating that they would create a new series (Even if they only acknowledge the tweet storm, most people would take that as a sign that a new series is coming) can be a double-edged sword. If for some reasons, the project doesn't go forward you've just disappointed hundreds of thousands of fans that might boycott your current & future products. Especially with the social medias nowadays news travel really really fast and can propagate fake news about continuation of SG.

Let's be honest though, most of us already hate MGM for what they've done to our beloved series. That being said, after all those years we, the fans, still crave for more and they know it. Sci-Fi has a special kind of fandom, much dedicated, educated and informed fans.

Doesn't matter if they acknowledge or not, they know that if and when they create a new show people will get on board.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Even if they only acknowledge the tweet storm, most people would take that as a sign that a new series is coming
                          Probably sadly true. I could see that happening. Joe's blog entry treated these as two separate things and thought MGM could acknowledge one but not the other. While he has a lot of recent experience in show biz, consumers can be predictably irrational. I don't know. If only we had a quantum mirror to find out how each decision would go.

Doesn't matter if they acknowledge or not, they know that if and when they create a new show people will get on board.
                          So long as every country has access!

Comment

While he has a lot of recent experience in show biz, consumers can be predictably irrational. I don't know.
                            Well we will never know... if they don't say anything!

If only we had a quantum mirror to find out how each decision would go.
                            A quantum mirror... hmm never thought about that! The possibilities would be... infinite! We could then make a case that a new SG series in a parallel Universe worked just fine...

Oh yea definitely a must. Can't go through the SG:O fiasco again!
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Maybe they postponed the announcement of the new spinoff as Brad Wright's new tv show (Travelers) has been renewed for a third season. Maybe they don't want to do anything without him and maybe he can't manage two shows at the same time. Blablabla.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I think some acknowledgement wouldn't have gone amiss. Just a sort of "we heard you" is plenty.

I mean, that's what Sam Toles does all the same when someone praises Command or Origins. He's the director of the new digital media team of MGM.

I agree, but as one of the people on the side of the fans, I can clearly prove that not hearing about anything also has a negative effect.
                                Second that.

It is my opinion that MGM reached both extremes. They hyped up Stargate Origins, and particularly the "future of Stargate", and it totally under-delivered (regardless of any one's opinion of Origins). Then after Origins ended, they're suddenly keeping quiet about that same "future". They extended the All-Access, and yet they remain quiet about everything else. But they never hit that sweet spot of revealing just enough to keep us on our toes, while avoiding revealing too much. I attribute that to the fact that MGM could never do this well with Stargate, ever since it began with the TV franchise in 1997.
                                I'm rather amused with that big panel with Chris Judge at whatever convention that was again, titling it the "Future of Stargate" and it turned out not to be about the future at all. Just more carrot dangling.

They hyped Origins at Comic Con but they missed the boat on marketing from the moment they announced it. There were literally no articles to be found other than the same 1 popping up in a few different places. The press room on Command has 1 article (a variation on the one that was published). If you do a search for Origins, it's the same 5 links popping up.

They absolutely failed in the marketing department and were literally hoping for word of mouth, and preferably not too globally either cause they weren't allowing anyone but 6 countries to enjoy their "big new thing".

This ^^

Nope, I won't. They burned that bridge, and as I have proven so far, when I hold a grudge against someone (Mallozzi & Mullie), I will literally ignore everything they involved in (Mallozzi has been redeeming himself lately). Therefore, I never watched Dark Matter or Blindspot (even though I would probably love the latter -- Martin Gero's baby).

Not even then. I would still fight for others to have access if it weren't the case, but I wouldn't give the new thing the light of day.

Comment

Working...
                                X