No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a) That's fine. Like I said, it won't appeal to everyone.
    b) Wyvern Gaming is not completely new as far as I can see. They have a couple of games already. Granted, they're not RPGs, but the process isn't that different. And it's also based on an existing and proven system, so not build from scratch as other games would be.
    c) Nothing wrong with crowdfunding. This way people vote with their wallets and MGM won't have to invest much. They just receive the licensing fees, nothing more. American Mythology did that and succeeded.
    d) Maybe bigger companies don't want to invest in Stargate, and MGM doesn't want to spend a fortune to "force" them to.
    e) American Mythology did what they set out to do. As mentioned, they crowdfunded a couple of series and finished them. If they want to make more, they have to make the first move. Alliance was canceled because there was a long legal conflict between the devs and publisher about who held the license, and MGM was also starting to have financial trouble.

None of this is done by MGM. They just allow others to license the Stargate IP, and I'm glad they at least do that. And as long as those companies are paying the license fees, I don't think MGM is going to care much about what they do, considering they themselves barely care what their own people do with Stargate. Actually, it's not even MGM that's doing the licensing, they outsourced it to another company called Brandgenuity (whether that's good or bad, I can't tell. Not until some time has passed).

This is exactly what I would've done, if I could make either comics or a video game. Convince MGM to license the IP to me, and then I'll set up a crowdfunding campaign to see if fans would like what I plan. Then use that funding to create everything, sell it, and then use the revenue to pay the licensing fees. Granted, it's not that simple in practice, and it depends on the licensing deal. But this isn't unique to MGM, many companies make a licensing deal, then handle most, if not all the funding and production themselves, and then pay the licensing fees.

Comment

I feel the same. Minimal investment, maximum profit. That must be the opinion of MGM about the future of the Stargate. But even if we all became sceptical, these little merchandise tests are a little step ahead to a new SG movie or spinoff. So maybe the franchise is not completly dead. Hmmm... rather revived and killed and revived and killed. True Wraith attitude.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I saw a license agreement explained once. If the company doesn't have a sure way of getting the revenue they expect, you can kiss the license goodbye. This example was in relation to a question about licenses from Disney.

Then again, there's no new stargate so it relies on an "old" audience of which interest is moving on to greener pastures as it were.

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
        If they want to make more, they have to make the first move.
        American Mythology asked but got no reply.

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
        Actually, it's not even MGM that's doing the licensing, they outsourced it to another company called Brandgenuity (whether that's good or bad, I can't tell. Not until some time has passed).
        A company they had business with since 2008, and who has the branding rights for Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis since 2008, so it's not a new thing. Where were they over the past 11 years? Or from 2009 to 2011 when Stargate was still active with Atlantis and Universe? Or when Origins came out... perfect time for branding but nada, zilch, nothing.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Since TopFan has gone, maybe I can share my speech what I have done in the SuperFan contest, so here is the "transcript" of it :

Spoiler:
          Hi everyone!

My name is Ákos Tamás Nováki, but you can find me as “Platschu” on the different Stargate websites. I am 38 years old and I am Hungarian, but currently I work as a pharmacist in the United Kingdom. I became a Stargate fan in 1998, when I have seen the first advertisement on a German cable network. When Apophis has arrived to the SGC, I knew this show was right for me. I always loved mythology, ancient tales and mysteries as it tells so much about a human culture, so Stargate became my favorite as a combination of fantasy and scifi elements. While other shows demonstrated the distant futures, Stargate was talking about the possible past. I really loved how the audience could travel together with our heroes to discover new worlds and to re-establish connection with extinct cultures. The writers could manage to upgrade the technological level season by season. And as their adventure progressed and the show evolved, the whole world changed around us : the first dialup internet connection, the first mobile phones arrived which changed our daily communication. As I became a student at the university I could connect to other fans through the internet, I have discovered other fans with the same love and passion towards Stargate like me. And it felt good that I am not alone and we share some type of special bond. I started to translate news, to write encyclopedia articles, to search for mythological references, to write lots of different type of quizzes for fan events and basically to lead the Hungarian community on the forum. I have meet with lots of different types of fans as a moderator, because everybody has found something else interesting in the the show (character development, spaceship, first contacts, conspiracy plots). Our little community really turned into a little family where we could talk about every other tv shows as well. For myself, Stargate was not only just a tv show, but it was, is and will be also a mental hideout from the daily stress, where I could feel successful thanks to the people who appreciated my effort to entertain the other fans. I have found a few really good friends there and these people are the biggest gift of Stargate. As Stargate : Origins was announced I really started to believe that Stargate can return in a glorious way and I hope I can be officially part of this journey. So many Hungarians fans have moved on, settled down, established families, but my loyality hasn’t changed to Stargate. I am not sure, if I am the best candidate to be a Superfan, but I have always been loyal to this franchise as it will always have a special place in my heart. It feels like a long term relationship, when you can fall in love again and again. If I re-watch an episode I always feel that it was a good decision to support this franchise with the invested time, energy and creativity. So if you would choose me, I could try to be a personal link between MGM, the staff and every fans around the globe, while I could share my opinions and ideas about future SG products. Thanks for listening and good luck for every candidates! Kree.

I won't share the video as I can still worry about the legal issues... I know it is not really the best or most exciting motivating speech and others must have been more confident, but all words came from my heart in spite of the grammatical errors and my stuttering. I just wanted to share this little personal piece of information, so I can close this chapter of my SG fan life.
          Last edited by Platschu; 16 June 2019, 04:22 PM.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Darn it, I can't green you Platschu!!

But this deserves all the GREEN in the world.

Comment

Thank you. I have just realized that TopFan and Tongal are two different things. Oops.

The Chicago con is coming this weekend. Yay.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                Thank you. I have just realized that TopFan and Tongal are two different things. Oops.
                Yeah, but Tongal isn't peeping either.

The Chicago con is coming this weekend. Yay.
                STAY TUNED FOR SOME AWESOME STARGATE NEWS!!

*crickets*

What do you mean we were in Chicago? News... we didn't say there was news.

Comment

Here is a BSG quote :

- All of this has happened before.
                  - But the question remains, does all of this have to happen again?
                  - This time I bet no.
                  - You know, I've never known you to play the optimist. Why the change of heart?
                  - Mathematics. Law of averages. Let a complex system repeat itself long enough and eventually something surprising might occur. That, too, is in God's plan.
                  - You know it doesn't like that name. Silly me. Silly, silly me.
                  "Let a complex system repeat itself long enough and eventually something surprising might occur."
                  I like this sentence. So I don't expect anything as you have said the producers won't be there and MGM will also not represent itself. The SG:C will be there and I hope somebody will ask about the extension in front of the audience. The actors will praise the years, the well oiled machine, the work family, then they will mention how BW is in talks with MGM, but they don't know more. Blablabla. They would be happy to reprise their roles. Blablaba. Then photos. Autograms. $$$. Everybody goes home. Then the cycle will be restarted later this year at the next con.

Comment

Sounds like a blast! I need to try and make it to one of those someday.

Comment

"Let a complex system repeat itself long enough and eventually something surprising might occur."
                      Just this. ^^

The SG:C will be there...
                      Legion M has a booth, so obviously SGC will be sharing that.
                      But there's a difference between having a booth, and being there as ... panelists.

...and I hope somebody will ask about the extension in front of the audience.
                      They won't. It's an American audience, they don't care/don't know, and are thus less likely to think about that when they're there.

Fans can be remarkably one-track minded when there is no shortage of stargate in their life.

Comment

I am just wondering what can they talk about? I mean I have never been on an international con, but does it not feel like the Galaxy Quest movie? There are actors and actresses who had minor role(s) in the Stargate, but they still attend to cons after 10-15-20 years later. So how can they avoid to not repeat themselves? They must have shared all the funny shooting stories or bloopers already. I am guessing most of the actors can earn a good amount of money with cons, just I have asked this question in general.

Comment

The audience varies so they will be asked the same questions over and over again, and depending on the composition of the audience that can make or break a Q&A.

For example, the Q&A with Lana Parilla at Facts last edition had literally 1 person asking something about Once Upon A Time, and another who asked about upcoming appearances. The rest of it was trivial questions...

I had expected better, but then I happened to find myself in the Q&A of ... crap forgot his name... a British actor, played Gawain in Merlin... anywho... his questions were more varied and plenty of his televion work was talked about such as Black Sails and Merlin... a lot more interesting as a Q&A than Lana's.

None can top Jonathan Barrowman but he's an act all on his own.

Comment

Apparently there'll be a command panel again... wonder what they'll chat about.

Also, it has been ... err... 7 days since I last visited Command. It could be 8 ... or 9... no, it's definitely 7 days.

Comment

Probably they will advertise themselves and maybe they will shot a few promo videos / AAP extras with actors and the SuperFans. I believe Somner has written on the old SG:C that she had made the reservation for Chicago a few weeks ago, so I am guessing she must show up there.

I haven't logged back after my 2nd comment since the 1st June. There is no reason to login and I doubt I am left out anything important. I can't support something which has betrayed their own members (erasing of the old forum, cenzorship on the new forum, no extension, no gift).

Comment

I'm thinking of muting the hashtag, though last time I muted a hashtag -- when everyone kept spoiling Origins -- it didn't work out too well and I still got spoiled.

Comment

Working...
                                X