• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Crimson Horror (3312/712)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SERIES 33
    THE CRIMSON HORROR
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3312 (712)
    In the small, Victorian town of Sweetville, Madame Vastra and Jenny find the Doctor held captive by a woman who is leaving her victims behind as corpses with bright red skin.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 10 May 2013, 10:14 PM.

Pretty good episode, nice to see the gang again, but I do think Strax was a bit underused, was looking forward to some more Strax humour.
    So, the kids are smart... Putting everything together...
    Good mix of humour and suprises though.

Next weeks looks good. New cybermen!

Comment

"The Crimson Horror" - I think a possible working title for this episode was "How Yorkshire Can You Be?"

I like Strax's recommended equipment for entering... dum-dum-DUM ...the NORTH!

"Casualties can be kept as little as 80%!"

Wow... unexpected creepy red Doctor!

"I once spent a hell of a long time trying to get a gobby Australian to Heathrow airport." Nice reference...

The Eleventh Doctor and accents... not a good match.

Sontaran versus horse - the eternal battle of wits continues.

Oh those wacky Victorians and their Sat-Nav street urchins...

I... like Jenny's plan. I think the Doctor did as well.

"SONTAR HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Ah, the Yorkshire Space Agency's state-of-the-art launch vehicle. Oh, and Babbage Difference Engines using Windows (18)95!

Mr Sweet... it's a safe bet that will end up being the Great Intelligence.

Okay... maybe not. Ew...

Not a bad episode at all! Next week's looks fun!
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Loads of fun, great one-liners, unexpected twist.

Comment

Really enjoyed this episode!

I was a bit apprehensive, for some reason I had thought that the episode was going to revolve around sweets and chocolate and was going to be a RTD-style tacky adventure set in a Sweet Factory...

Instead, we got a very good, classic-style Who adventure. The rocket, the parasite, the monster-woman who turns out to be not such a monster, and some great wacky side-characters.

Very much enjoyed this episode!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Mr Sweet... Ew indeed

I was expecting the Great Intelligence...

But! I now have a theory..

The Doctor wanted to go to London because that's where he met Clara the first time.. He ended up in Yorkshire by mistake, but Clara appeared in London as well.. and died there because the timeline was altered.. her timeline was altered.. The Clara he met the first time was the same one he has been travelling with, but time is being altered by someone or something.. leading The Doctor to something.. or away from something.. and that's where it starts to fall apart because I've only been thinking about it for two minutes since end of the episode with the photos on the laptop..

All the Claras have been the same age.. with the same personalities.. because they're the same person. Each time the timeline is altered she dies for some reason...(erase the timeline, erase the person? Or to deepen the mystery) And The Doctor is there to see it.. to keep him focussed on her so the thing (The Great Intelligence?) can complete it's plan without interruption? The Doctor is too busy solving the mystery of Clara so he doesn't notice what else is going on...

But anyway... We need more Strax He's one of the best recurring characters.. if only he would recur more often.. And I live in the North.. Strax definitely had the right idea...
            Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 04 May 2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I think you've hit on something there PH - could Clara be a diversion, a mystery so enticing the Doctor can't resist and that diverts all his attention from much grander and scarier problems?
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post

Ah, the Yorkshire Space Agency's state-of-the-art launch vehicle. Oh, and Babbage Difference Engines using Windows (18)95!
                Also Note Ada's name nice reference to Ada Lovelace.
                ----------------------------
                You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Loved that to bits. Barking mad!

Thomas Thomas... deary, deary, deary me... I bet Mark Gatiss has been wanting to use that gag in something for years.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                    I think you've hit on something there PH - could Clara be a diversion, a mystery so enticing the Doctor can't resist and that diverts all his attention from much grander and scarier problems?
                    It was the photos on the laptop that did it.. but it raises the question of what are we missing?

But again, Mr Sweet.. ew I suppose the Great Intelligence was busy in London.. really was expecting it though..

Casualties can be kept as little as 80% We need more Strax!

Comment

Strax would make a great companion!

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                        Also Note Ada's name nice reference to Ada Lovelace.
                        Well spotted, I hadn't caught that at all!

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                        Loved that to bits. Barking mad!

Thomas Thomas... deary, deary, deary me... I bet Mark Gatiss has been wanting to use that gag in something for years.
                        How did I not get this first time around? So, so bad, and yet so, so funny. Gatiss has absolutely excelled himself with his writing for this series.

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                        Strax would make a great companion!
                        Yes. Yes he would. Though I'm not sure the Doctor would let him bring his arsenal personal effects on board the TARDIS. Hell, I'm not sure the TARDIS would let him bring them on board the TARDIS.
                        sigpic

Comment

They should keep him as a recurring character. Doctor Who desperately needs recurring characters to stop it being just a monster of the week show.. They fill out the universe.. make it more real. And they can make the writing stronger. Having characters that can be brought out in different situations, each with their own strengths and weaknesses and stories to tell.. Instead of the deus ex machina sonic screwdriver..

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                            Now, in fairness, this time Gatiss mostly kept it out of the way. Even, arguably, hanging a lantern on the over-use. Twice.

Indeed, another good thing about this episode.

There were also a lot of other characters to help out.. no need to make make the TARDIS disappear or use the screwdriver on everything..

They should use more chairs.. and Strax

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                              Instead of the deus ex machina sonic screwdriver..
                              Now, in fairness, this time Gatiss mostly kept it out of the way. Even, arguably, hanging a lantern on the over-use. Twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X