MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nivao View Post
    It's definitely possible, but it depends on whoever is behind it. However, the experience with the canceled Direct-to-DVD movies could mean MGM is not seeing the benefit of physical media anymore. The other alternative would be digital download, so you buy it and own it digitally.
    The only problem with buying a digital download is that I don't do any streaming services of any kind so that wouldn't even be an option but I do appreciation the suggestion.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Netflix shows get DVD releases here at least.
    Hopefully whoever is behind it will decide to, at least, release it for region 1, which is the region I'm in, region 2 and region 4.

My two thoughts where this (if Netflix is what they do):
    • I doubt Netflix would do this but a section in the on demand of cable where just their original shows can be viewed.
    • A deal with cable channel, an example, USA Network in the US where they could start airing it a month after it would premiere on Netflix.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Netflix' original series Stranger Things is available on DVD, so I'd yes... if it were on Netflix, it would still be available on DVD at some point.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Netflix' original series Stranger Things is available on DVD, so I'd yes... if it were on Netflix, it would still be available on DVD at some point.
        Well, that's good to know because if it were a part of the whole BW era of the Stargate franchise I would hate to not see it, have to avoid spoilers and then when those spoilers are no longer considered spoilers, still avoid them.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
          Well, that's good to know because if it were a part of the whole BW era of the Stargate franchise I would hate to not see it, have to avoid spoilers and then when those spoilers are no longer considered spoilers, still avoid them.
          Good luck avoiding spoilers -- I tried with Origins but well... it didn't go so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Good luck avoiding spoilers -- I tried with Origins but well... it didn't go so well.
            I would only do it if I had to and only for as long as felt like it. As for Origins, I may be in one 6 countries but I choice not to watch it (excluding behind the scenes videos on Youtube) and don't care if I ever see it. Regarding spoilers for that, I really don't go looking for them, so if I see one I see one, but I can understand those not wanting to see spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
              Regarding spoilers for that, I really don't go looking for them, so if I see one I see one, but I can understand those not wanting to see spoilers.
              Neither am I but trying to avoid them is impossible... even Gateworld spoils, but apparently that's out of their hands. They break their own rules for MGM and Command.

Comment

I have just watched the new Lost in space trailer which comes in April on Netflix :
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmM0AB60QQ
                I am glad to see non humanoid aliens and a high concept scifi on tv, but it also means a future SG spinoff has more competativefor audience and they have to improve if the want to impress new people. Netflix has really raised the quality high with this show, Altered Carbon and Star Trek : Discovery, so while I am enjoying these scifi shows, I started to get worried about the future of Stargate. If they order a new spinoff, they really have to invest much more (locations, special effects), so no more pine trees around Vancouver I am afraid. Maybe I am a bit silly to worry in advance, because earlier we haven't had any hope for a new SG movie / miniseries / spinoff, but I really want to see a succesfull and glorious return. I would be heart brokened again, if they order a new spinoff then it would be cancelled after the first season.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I saw the trailer for Lost In Space as well, and it looks visually stunning -- movie-quality stunning.

And every entertainment company knows that if you want your show to survive the scrutiny of your audience, you have to put in the money and time to create the best possible end product. If MGM is truly committed to more Stargate (and not just for a select few), then I'm sure they would be willing to make that investment, but they have to be sure they get a return on that investment (and they have kept the study pool deliberately small so I don't know if that's gonna give them enough of an indication to make it work).

Comment

Lost in Space will have only 10 episodes and nothing more. It's a miniseries. There's nothing to worry about, because Stargate is a class apart. It's nothing like Altered Carbon, Star Trek Discovery or any other sci-fi show out there. It doesn't need fancy multi-million dollar visual effects and well-known actors. They didn't need it before, they don't need it now. They just need to stick to what made Stargate its own thing in the first place and not follow what everyone else is doing. On that part SGU did good; they had good visual effects, good (or at least reasonable) actors with some recognition (Robert Carlyle in particular). It just missed some of the core elements of Stargate. That, and SyFy sabotaged it and Atlantis, in my opinion.

MGM just needs to do better than with Origins, that's all, and it certainly isn't representative of the franchise as a whole or what the future would bring.

It also needs to be remembered that Stargate never had a big budget, even compared to other popular shows at the time. And in my opinion they spent it well. Sure, most planets look similar since it was all filmed in British Columbia. Sure some actors reappeared in different roles. Some plot holes with reused visual effect shots. But it isn't always about the visuals. It's about the characters and what they experience. Despite the DVD quality, and the clear aging of the actors, I think Stargate SG-1 is aging well. It was filmed in widescreen from the start (one of the first TV shows to do that), it used a lot of practical effects as much as possible (scale models, pyrotechnics, etc.) and had some good production design for sets, props, and costumes.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                      MGM just needs to do better than with Origins, that's all, and it certainly isn't representative of the franchise as a whole or what the future would bring.

It also needs to be remembered that Stargate never had a big budget, even compared to other popular shows at the time. And in my opinion they spent it well. Sure, most planets look similar since it was all filmed in British Columbia. Sure some actors reappeared in different roles. Some plot holes with reused visual effect shots. But it isn't always about the visuals. It's about the characters and what they experience. Despite the DVD quality, and the clear aging of the actors, I think Stargate SG-1 is aging well. It was filmed in widescreen from the start (one of the first TV shows to do that), it used a lot of practical effects as much as possible (scale models, pyrotechnics, etc.) and had some good production design for sets, props, and costumes.
                      What I meant but not in as many words, and I LOVE practical effects, as much as I like computer generated effects (I did a special effects course once so obviously I'm in love with particles) but practical effects are just that more awesome because they require just that little bit more effort. [edit] It's more hands on.

Comment

Well, you have a point and I can accept it. But... 20 years have passed. A new generation of scifi fans have grown up. They can see so many average or good or excellent scifi on television nowadays, that if we want to make thenew viewers sit down to watch SG then they have to show something new. It is sad that less than 1 million people watched SG:A and SG:U out of 300+ millions in the USA, while we used to reach 500 000-800 000 people out of 10 million in Hungary. Simply nostalgy won't revive or financially successful the new SG spinoff if it happens. Probably it is a hard question for MGM what to do : canon or reboot. Some people can be simply scarred away that they are not willimg to watch a new show what is based on 17 earlier seasons. Old viewers won't be enough either. 20 years habe passed as I said before, so not only the actors, but the fans became older too. They got degree, work, marriage, child(ren). So even if they love Stargate it doesn't mean that they can watch it live nowadays as they used to do it.

I really hope MGM (and Netflix hopefully) will invest more into this franchise. But not just tv shows, we need computer games, merchandise products. Computer games could gain new audience, while they could easily make some SG-1 / Atlantis / Universe stories. Motion capture, voice acting... The technology is there, but probably such games like Uncharted would cost more than the episodes... I absolutely loved Claudia Black in the last one and even her face expressions could be discovered on her character. It is worth of checking it on youtube and watch it as game movie. The main advantage of a "game episode" would be that they can show exotic words, races while it is not so tiring for the actors. Or they should re-make the Stargate:Worlds or use those ideas in the new SG spinoff.

Maybe the best way would be a completly new spinoff with new cast and a new tone while they can order an SG-1 and/or Atlantis miniseries later. As far as I know the Atlantis base set has cost 5 million dollars, but it was not sold like the Universe bridge set, so maybe it would cheaper to rebuild it. If Joe Flannifan could bring those investors what he planned a few years ago, then maybe they would be able to make a deal with MGM to revive Stargate : Atlantis under the supervision of BW/JCC.

Or if they could order a smaller budgeted in-canon combined SG movie (a budget for 20-30 million dollars) that could be easily earned back from fans around the globe what income could be invested on the new spinoff or new SG mini series etc. Or they should really start to push a DVD movies series again. With clever writing they can leave out the set problem, since any SG team can go offworld...

Anyway there are so many options, but I hope BW will be called back. But it wil be still hard for him to impress everyone. More drama/less drama? More action/less action? More connection to the SG past/new character and technology development? I know it is hard to find the balance, but not impossible. Just I really hope they will treat every episode as it would be the last chance. So no more bottle episodes or smaller standalones...All episodes should be like a season finale, but obviously it needs money and money and more money.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Why has GW not promoted the twitter campaign?

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ady-to-launch/
                          https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...rgate-reunion/

It is nice to see so many familiar faces again. It has really felt like a class reunion. Well done, gaters!

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                            Why has GW not promoted the twitter campaign?
                            They may not have promoted it, but I did see the twitter account active during the tweetstorms.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              Anyway there are so many options, but I hope BW will be called back. But it wil be still hard for him to impress everyone. More drama/less drama? More action/less action? More connection to the SG past/new character and technology development? I know it is hard to find the balance, but not impossible. Just I really hope they will treat every episode as it would be the last chance. So no more bottle episodes or smaller standalones...All episodes should be like a season finale, but obviously it needs money and money and more money.
                              I think that stargate needs, more than anything, a chance. It didn't become a hit with one season, and many fan favorite episodes aren't exactly s1 episodes. Of any show.

I've come to realize quality is far superior to quantity in this regard. I'll gladly sign up to a 10 or 13 episode season, rather than the old 22, and get quality episodes in return. Considering the genre and niche, i think a shorter season is virtually inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                I've come to realize quality is far superior to quantity in this regard. I'll gladly sign up to a 10 or 13 episode season, rather than the old 22, and get quality episodes in return. Considering the genre and niche, i think a shorter season is virtually inevitable.
                                If it's subscription based like Stargate Command, then I'm out anyway -- that's the final straw for me as far as Stargate goes. But I do agree, that a shorter season with 10, but prefer 13 episodes, would keep the stories more compact and to the point. No mucking about with fillers. I like that.

BUT as I said, if it's only available to a select audience -- that would be my cue to pack up and say goodbye to MGM and Stargate.

Comment

Working...
                                X