Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
    Then I only have this to say: you just proved my point... And honestly, thanks for showing that you, too, are not someone I would want to play with either. You don't know me, you don't know what I do, I don't know you, and I don't know what you do. This is exactly what has put me off of trying to find a group to play with, and why I never play multiplayer games, and thank you for convincing me to stop looking.
    You don't know what you are missing.
    I'm being blunt, because frankly, you guys simply don't know what you are talking about.
    Look for that group, go to a comic book store, or a Games Workshop store, or any game related store and find that group.
    It can change your life, for the better.

PS: plenty of people play chess by themselves, and have you ever heard of Solitaire?
    Solitaire is a card game, not a board game, and it is specifically designed for solo play.
    Can you play chess solo?
    Yes.
    Does it teach you anything about how other people think?
    Nope.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      You don't know what you are missing.
      I'm being blunt, because frankly, you guys simply don't know what you are talking about.
      Look for that group, go to a comic book store, or a Games Workshop store, or any game related store and find that group.
      It can change your life, for the better.

Solitaire is a card game, not a board game, and it is specifically designed for solo play.
      Can you play chess solo?
      Yes.
      Nope.
      I wasn't trying to be "blunt" before, but now I will be. Frankly, I don't care what I'm missing. Maybe it will be great. Maybe it will make my life "better". Or maybe not. I've got burned before. I've been bullied for over ten years, and it made me even more introverted and shy than I was before. No one ever wanted to do anything with me, and if I wanted to join a group I always had to do what they wanted, and no one ever wanted to do what I wanted. Stuff like Stargate helped to cope with that.

I also don't have to do something to understand how it works. And why do I have to play RPGs with a group to "understand how people think"? It's a roleplaying game, not a psychiatrist's office, or parliament. Maybe you do want to, but you don't speak for everyone.

Do I expect people to agree with me? No, not really. But I don't care about what people think, I only care about what I want. I've missed so many things in life. Do I wish I found a group of friends in high school to play RPGs with, like most other players? Yeah, definitely. But that didn't happen. My life didn't turn out like everyone else's. I did what I had to do to "survive", and that meant doing things on my own. Now I have grown into that and got used to it. Why should that prevent me from playing RPGs now? Even if I want to play them on my own? I've adapted before, and I'm adapting right now. With the skills I have now, I'm a Jack-of-all-Trades and can achieve a lot on my own. I'm programming software to do that right this minute, and as the interest for RPGs are growing, so is the solo RPG community.

Comment

I wasn't trying to be "blunt" before, but now I will be. Frankly, I don't care what I'm missing. Maybe it will be great. Maybe it will make my life "better". Or maybe not. I've got burned before.
        You think I haven't?
        Have some faith dude, it hurts sometimes, but it works.
        I've been bullied for over ten years, and it made me even more introverted and shy than I was before. No one ever wanted to do anything with me, and if I wanted to join a group I always had to do what they wanted, and no one ever wanted to do what I wanted. Stuff like Stargate helped to cope with that.
        Cool, I was not attacking that.
        I also don't have to do something to understand how it works. And why do I have to play RPGs with a group to "understand how people think"? It's a roleplaying game, not a psychiatrist's office, or parliament. Maybe you do want to, but you don't speak for everyone.
        No I don't speak for everyone, but I have played RPG's for 30 years. And do you know what, it IS like a shrinks office, we work out our differences, or our problems over the table. Gaming can change your life.
        Do I expect people to agree with me? No, not really. But I don't care about what people think, I only care about what I want.
        And that's the problem.
        I've missed so many things in life. Do I wish I found a group of friends in high school to play RPGs with, like most other players? Yeah, definitely. But that didn't happen. My life didn't turn out like everyone else's.
        Ahh, so you are "unique" are you?
        I did what I had to do to "survive", and that meant doing things on my own. Now I have grown into that and got used to it. Why should that prevent me from playing RPGs now? Even if I want to play them on my own? I've adapted before, and I'm adapting right now. With the skills I have now, I'm a Jack-of-all-Trades and can achieve a lot on my own. I'm programming software to do that right this minute, and as the interest for RPGs are growing, so is the solo RPG community.
        Survive away.
        Play with yourself all you want.
        sigpic

Comment

You think I haven't?
          Have some faith dude, it hurts sometimes, but it works.

Cool, I was not attacking that.

No I don't speak for everyone, but I have played RPG's for 30 years. And do you know what, it IS like a shrinks office, we work out our differences, or our problems over the table. Gaming can change your life.

And that's the problem.

Ahh, so you are "unique" are you?

Survive away.
          Play with yourself all you want.
          The only thing I can gather about this is that I'm being judged by someone who thinks he's better than me at certain things, just because he has been playing for 30 years. Which in my eyes proves my point about "purists" who think that something can only be done their way and when someone comes in with a different way, they shoot them down and discourage them to try, and instead "encourage" them to "try" it their way. It also proves my point about being burned before. Is this what you really mean? I don't know. I can only infer what you mean based on your words, and those words seem to be judging me.

Before this goes too far and the mods have to jump in, and before I'll feel miserable, I will leave this topic alone. The longer this goes on, the more miserable I'll feel. So, sorry if I offended you in some way, I never meant to, but this is going nowhere.

Comment

The only thing I can gather about this is that I'm being judged by someone who thinks he's better than me at certain things, just because he has been playing for 30 years.
            1: You are not being "judged"
            2: Umm, yes I know more about RPG's than you do
            That's not arrogance or trying to put you down, it's a simple fact. I started playing games with 2nd ed D&D and the basic red box and I have been playing, or running games since.
            Which in my eyes proves my point about "purists" who think that something can only be done their way and when someone comes in with a different way, they shoot them down and discourage them to try, and instead "encourage" them to "try" it their way.
            If you can run a online game, go for it. It's not about it being "my way" at all.
            please try, because gaming can change your life.
            It also proves my point about being burned before. Is this what you really mean? I don't know. I can only infer what you mean based on your words, and those words seem to be judging me.
            Again, I am not judging you in the slightest.
            I have played games, you have not, so take that into account.
            Before this goes too far and the mods have to jump in, and before I'll feel miserable, I will leave this topic alone. The longer this goes on, the more miserable I'll feel. So, sorry if I offended you in some way, I never meant to, but this is going nowhere.
            You have not offended me, nor was my intent to make you feel miserable. In fact, I like talking to you.
            sigpic

Comment

You have not offended me, nor was my intent to make you feel miserable. In fact, I like talking to you.
              Okay. It's just that the "words" came across that away, and I guess it had that kind of impact on me that made it feel personal, and close to being a personal "attack". I'm sorry I vented, and I'm grateful you at least "tolerated" that. In which case I hope this hasn't ruined too much on your end .

Comment

Can you play chess solo?
                Yes.
                Nope.
                Nor does it teach me how I think apparently... I can't get it to work.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Okay. It's just that the "words" came across that away, and I guess it had that kind of impact on me that made it feel personal, and close to being a personal "attack". I'm sorry I vented, and I'm grateful you at least "tolerated" that. In which case I hope this hasn't ruined too much on your end .
                  Dude, I am harsh, with people and opinions, does not mean I love you guys any less.
                  Vent all you want, that's human nature, but understand that what you have looked at, at a distance, I have done for years.
                  It gives me some insight, don't throw it away.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Nor does it teach me how I think apparently... I can't get it to work.
                    Your brain?
                    It works fine FH.
                    You just like different stuff, and that is perfectly fine.
                    sigpic

Comment

Your brain?
                      It works fine FH.
                      You just like different stuff, and that is perfectly fine.
                      My brain is like the Escher Vault from Warehouse 13.

Comment

I saw that horrid Aliens movie the other day (Prometheus) and recognized some of the Esher pictures I used to have on my walls as a kid
                        You would have loved my bedroom back then FH.
                        sigpic

Comment

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but based on the announcement, it seems MGM is going the Disney route and make everything automatically canon. So whatever "storyline"/campaign setting the RPG will have will be canon. Which is weird for two reasons:

1) For the same reason as the novels, comics, old RPG, Origins, there will inevitably be many contradictions that makes one or the other non-canon (unless explicitly stating it's an "alternate universe")

2) It's a friggin' RPG. No single game will be the same. At most an RPG provides a default setting, as it should. But there are no stories because that is what a GM and players will create for themselves. How can a non-existent story become canon? They can say Stargate Phoenix exists in the main universe, but that's about it (and up to the writers of any hypothetically new series, not the RPG designers), what else can there be done to make the entire RPG "canon"?

On the other hand, I think by "making it canon" it's probably along the lines of making sure the RPG itself is properly set in the Stargate universe, rather than the other way around.

Comment

It will basically be a collision of multi-universes. Great! As if timelines need even more wibbly-wobbly stuff... oh wait, that's only in Doctor Who the case.

Comment

Pretty informative podcast. Definitely worth a listen.

Spoiler:
                              the rpg is set in season 6, after the episode alliances. The phoenix base name represents the different groups (una's, Jaffa, humans from other words) rising up against the goa'uld. Supposed to have an explanation as to why you don't see this during the show or meet the new race too. New race was saved by the nox at one point and now dresses and acts like them.

I am looking forward to at least reading the material when it comes out

Comment

I just wanted to moan about this project as I have gone to their official forum, but there were hardly any new comments there. So I don't know where they communicate or test or maybe I am just a tiny little Goa'uld who is even blind in his human host, but I couldn't see any news.
                                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                                X