X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headache... I know how you feel Rodney.

Comment

Oooooh, so this thread IS alive! Good to know

Just finished watching The Siege 3-parter with my sister. Feel so bad for Rodney in that, he's so tired and worn down. When he finally finishes hooking the ZPM up and just lays down on the ground, my heart melts. <33333
      sigpic
      It was Arrested Development

Comment

Originally posted by wheresmyfroggy View Post
        Oooooh, so this thread IS alive! Good to know
        Yes, it's alive... just resting! People mostly hang out in the Thunk thread, because there are more thunkers than whumpers. Also, there's no new canon whump, and fanfic whump is probably mostly discussed on LJ or ff.net.

Just finished watching The Siege 3-parter with my sister. Feel so bad for Rodney in that, he's so tired and worn down. When he finally finishes hooking the ZPM up and just lays down on the ground, my heart melts. <33333
        Yes, totally! Or when he slumps, resting his head in his hands. And then when he says he's going to curl up in his bed with the biggest sandwich he can find... and Teyla wants him to fight! C'mon, the man hasn't slept in 48 hours, and even fully rested he's a pretty lousy fighter... do you want the poor thing to get killed?! *leads Rodney off to bed, fetches a huge sandwich and curls up in bed next to him, feeding him the sandwich*

And now, another whumpy pic!

Love how he's clutching the pillow in this one! But it annoys me how he says he can walk, but not sit down, and then what does he do in the Puddlejumper? He sits down! TPTB far too often treat Rodney's injuries as some sort of comic relief, which to me takes away from the whumpy feeling a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinah
          Love how he's clutching the pillow in this one! But it annoys me how he says he can walk, but not sit down, and then what does he do in the Puddlejumper? He sits down!
          Yeah poor Rodney, it hurt him... You know, I haven't thought about it before but maybe he sat on soft pillow. There are special to bring relief to aching ass. And then he could sit

Did you see this?

Rodney tied to a chair. Why I like see him tied?

Comment

Great pics guys!
            Originally posted by sklerka25 View Post
            Rodney tied to a chair. Why I like see him tied?
            I too like him all tied up It's a kink, but not a bad thing

I was thinking about the whole whump thing the other day. Perhaps it's a gender reversal thing. Have you ever heard of a male whumper?

Women are portrayed in culture as being the weaker/helpless ones, inferior to men and needing to be guided. Whereas whump turns that on it's head - men are hurt (weakened/helpless), this in turn makes the woman immediately stronger and in the position to guide (comfort) the man. But then I like my characters to be vulnerable woobies to start with... so... *shrugs*

As for the Rodney whump discussions being in fanfic on FFN/LJ... I haven't seen any new gen Rodney centric whumpfic for many months now. I should be able to start posting my new fic soon. Plan is for it to be about 10k, possibly longer. *points to sig* Trinity Squared
            McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Originally posted by Tinah View Post
              TPTB far too often treat Rodney's injuries as some sort of comic relief, which to me takes away from the whumpy feeling a bit.
              Agreed! This was probably my biggest (only?) complaint with the show while it was on. Yes, Rodney can be an amusing character from time to time. But very often, the rest of the team would laugh AT him, not with him, and sometimes in very serious situations (i.e. Sateda). Without trying to compare SG-1 and Atlantis too much, that was one thing I wish had been carried over a bit more- the unquestionable feeling of camaraderie between teammates.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sklerka25 View Post
                You know, I haven't thought about it before but maybe he sat on soft pillow.
                Yes, probably. I wish they'd mentioned/showed it though, but I guess they had too many other things to squeeze into 40 minutes!

Did you see this?
                Yup, but it's always nice to see again! Post-whump Rodney waking up...

Originally posted by x Varda x View Post
                I was thinking about the whole whump thing the other day. Perhaps it's a gender reversal thing. Have you ever heard of a male whumper?
                No, I've never heard of a male whumper either. And... uhm... my brain is being whumped at work this week, so I don't really have much speculation to add to this discussion today.

I should be able to start posting my new fic soon. Plan is for it to be about 10k, possibly longer. *points to sig* Trinity Squared
                While I'm happy for you and the whump community in general, I'm not going to read it now. Not until I've tried to write my own post-Trinity fic. You know I'm a bit weird with this fanfiction stuff...

But very often, the rest of the team would laugh AT him, not with him, and sometimes in very serious situations (i.e. Sateda).
                Phantoms ( physical )... McKay & Mrs Miller ( emotional )... The Eye ( physical )... I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that stand out the most in my mind right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinah View Post
                  While I'm happy for you and the whump community in general, I'm not going to read it now. Not until I've tried to write my own post-Trinity fic. You know I'm a bit weird with this fanfiction stuff...
                  Would it help if I told you it's set 3 years after Trinity? It has some cliches in it, but it's not one of the 'you'll be sorry' or Rodney shunning fics I love so much in the post Trinity fandom (I read them all! )
                  Phantoms ( physical )... McKay & Mrs Miller ( emotional )... The Eye ( physical )... I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that stand out the most in my mind right now.
                  I'm equally sad and satisfied when Rodney gets hurt and no-one cares about his pain, not even the writers. It can intensify the whump, but it can also make me shake my fists in fury

end of Grace Under Pressure
                  *checks under TV*
                  "Where's the rest of this episode!"
                  *shakes fist*
                  Raoowwwwar!!

Comment

*checks under TV*
                    *shakes fist*
                    Raoowwwwar!!
                    hahaha, Agreed about Grace Under Pressure, 100%. I was like, 'um... infirmary scene please? no? how about a jumper-on-the-way-back-are-you-OK scene? no again? arghjdkfla;sjdkfd;jsa'

then I passed out from... manly anger...
                    sigpic

Comment

Would it help if I told you it's set 3 years after Trinity?
                      Well... it helps my courage to write mine... a little. Maybe. ( Even if it might be just like 2965 other "Trinity" tags already written, at least it won't be just like yours... )

Sometimes I think I should set a "deadline": if I haven't written any fanfiction up until a certain point, I'm going to quit trying and instead start reading other people's fics. ( For people new to this discussion about me and writing: I don't want to read other people's fanfics because I'm afraid that a) I'm going to be discouraged from writing mine since theirs are so good, and b) because I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally steal their ideas. ) But how does one decide when to give up?

It has some cliches in it, but it's not one of the 'you'll be sorry' or Rodney shunning fics I love so much in the post Trinity fandom (I read them all! )
                      Mine's just... well...
                      Spoiler:
                      total emotional and physical ( he gets Zelenkas stomach flu, which in combination with hypoglycaemia is not a good thing! ) breakdown, some friends get worried, manage to see him through it in the only way he'll allow himself to be helped.
                      Probably full of clichés and over-the-top angst, but, hey, I'm just expressing what this episode made me feel, and the way I need to see this resolved. For Rodney's sake, and for mine. ( This episode speaks to me for personal reasons. ) Since you read them all, I don't want to get your hopes up for this one. If it ever happens. I guess I should just stop talking about writing since I don't actually do it...

I'm equally sad and satisfied when Rodney gets hurt and no-one cares about his pain, not even the writers. It can intensify the whump, but it can also make me shake my fists in fury
                      Well, it mostly makes me angry. Caring, sympathy, understanding and support are very important to me. In real life as well as fiction. I enjoy the whump, but then when they laugh at him, I get angry ( with his friends, but mostly with TPTB who, I believe, write his friends out of character ) and the whole episode ends on a less-than-satisfying note.

*checks under TV*
                      hahaha, Agreed about Grace Under Pressure, 100%. I was like, 'um... infirmary scene please? no? how about a jumper-on-the-way-back-are-you-OK scene? no again?
                      Very well ( and funny! ) expressed! That's exactly what I felt about that episode too. It's the ultimate Rodney ( physical ) whump episode, he's hurt all the time and suffering the effects, and all that buildup... only to leave us with a massive letdown! Actually, except for a silly little team-on-the-beach fic, a "Grace Under Pressure" tag was my first fanfic idea... over a year ago.

Something tells me I should write another Livejournal post about writing. But... work's tough this week ( and probably for longer ) and my brain's sort of unfocused in the evening...
                      Last edited by Tinah; 18 August 2010, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I was thinking about this last night, and I thought I'd pose it as a discussion question if anyone feels like participating:

What are your top 3 favorite Rodney whump episodes?

When it popped into my head last night I didn't have the time to sit and properly ponder the question, so I can't answer right now. I think definitely Lost Boys/The Hive (I'm counting 2-parters as one) would be on my list. Because he gets kidnapped, drugged, used against the team, OD's himself to save the team, passes out, and then we actually SEE the comfort side of it too.
                        sigpic

Comment

What are your top 3 favorite Rodney whump episodes?
                          Mhm... good question. Let me think... my favorite Rodney whump episodes....

Of course (like you) "Lost Boys/The Hive" - I love the moment when the hive ships exploded and Rodney realizes that Sheppard and the rest probably died. Have you noticed that his chin trembled slightly? You can see these emotions, which guided him at that time. This is called real acting. And of course I love the moment when Rodney is in agony and Carson so carefully takes care of him. A scene in which he talks with Elizabeth at the sleeping Rodney is sweet.

Definitely "Tao of Rodney" - my favorite scene is in the end when Rodney lie on the bed, so weak, and friends stand around him and tell that they love him. And when Rodney say: "Oh, God. I can't believe I'm gonna die" I always crying. In this episode, we see different Rodney. We see that he can admit his mistake, he can apologize, and that friends really care about him. Because we can't see it very often. Here Rodney suffers seriously. Nobody laughs at this.

And I think "Duet" - yeah maybe this is funny episode but Rodney to land up in infirmary three times and that counts. And he looks so cute when he was lyind there.

These are my favorite whump episodes and in general my favorite episodes. Coincidence? I don't think so

Comment

Most recent tweet from David:

"Catching up on Stargate Universe. Destiny, not a happy place...with each episode I'm more convinced they'll just beat the crap out of McKay!"

Yes please! I don't watch SGU, but if there is Mckay whump in this episode, then I guess I'll just HAVE to watch it!
                            sigpic

Comment

Most recent tweet from David:

"Catching up on Stargate Universe. Destiny, not a happy place...with each episode I'm more convinced they'll just beat the crap out of McKay!"

Yes please! I don't watch SGU, but if there is Mckay whump in this episode, then I guess I'll just HAVE to watch it!
                              That was my reaction too. Here's hoping

Comment

That was my reaction too. Here's hoping
                                I wouldn't be surprised if Destiny does kick McKay's butt! Because well let's face it compared to what the SGU crew is going through McKay had it easy on Atlantis! But it will make for entertaining TV I love it when McKay gets whumped! (a physical whump that is emotional not so much.)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X