No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For full disclosure, I'm an investor in Legion M which is working with Tongal and MGM to restart Stargate. A few weeks ago, I received an email from Wefunder telling me another round of investment opportunity is about to close for Legion M. Therefore, I couldn't enter the contest.

* Paul Scanlan and Jeff Annison are the CEO's of Legion M. Years ago, they created MobiTV , the first company to stream video to mobile devices.

Comment

I don't know the exact details about Legion M or what role they have played. They were the ones, who organised the screening and the meeting with SG:O actors, right? So why are they kicked out? Will someone else invest into Stargate?
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

No. Legion M wasn't part of SG:Origins. Legion M is the first fan-run entertainment company started in 2016. Anti Hollywood. From their funding they can scout locations for filming, production, and methods of delivery after production

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          I have hardly watched into the camera, my voice is a bit weird and there are lots of stuttering 8at least 5-8 mistakes in 3 minutes). Even the grammar was wrong. Yay. So I wouldn't accept myself if I could be them as I was not that really convincing. I still feel a bit ashaming that we are really talking about something personel on these videos and maybe other people will laugh at us. But we will see the "results" in 16 days.
          I admire your courage, and they probably need to know whether your English is good enough to make yourself understood in a conversation since they expect you to "skype" with them every so often, which would require some basic English, I imagine.

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
          No. Legion M wasn't part of SG:Origins. Legion M is the first fan-run entertainment company started in 2016. Anti Hollywood. From their funding they can scout locations for filming, production, and methods of delivery after production
          Legion M was behind the screenings, and the meet-and-greets. They even were the ones who provided Stargate Command with a booth at one of the conventions they attended. So, they were definitely involved -- perhaps not in the investing parts but definitely in the screening/meet-greet part.

They advertised it on the webpage and on twitter even.

By the way, I think StitchLoft's also a Legion M member and he did enter a video.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            I admire your courage, and they probably need to know whether your English is good enough to make yourself understood in a conversation since they expect you to "skype" with them every so often, which would require some basic English, I imagine.
            Well... If I could win, I could do it only on my day offs anyway not while I am working in the pharmacy... I don't know how they imagined these conference calls either, if the potential winners will live their life in different timezones. English won't be a problem as I use it day by day, just I was nervous about this personal speech and there was no one to help me. So I am not that hopeless as I described and underestimated myself.

ScifigirlSG: Nothing to worry. Maybe this whole contest is good for nothing and they just made false promises again. But if it becomes reality and they really count on the fans, then hopefully they will have a closed, non-public feedback about everything.

Honestly If I could be them, then I would accept all these 71 people to create a "beta base group". I don't care about the money as I earn enough, but it would feel unfair if somebody is left out. Since only this amount of candidate responded, maybe everybody could join them. And if they could include more superfan, then there would more chance that they get helping hands at cons around the globe as not everyone would travel to the cons.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

My last post in this thread...

Do you remember when Netflix had a mass exodus of subscriptions when Obama and Susan Rice were added to the Netflix team in early 2017? I tried to get my $100 investment back in 2016 when I found out Obama used taxpayer dollars to invest in Legion M. I couldn't get a refund, and I haven't received any dividends from the movies Legion M made. I'm not a member of the website or the forum. So, in a way I'm glad Origins flopped.

Comment

My last post in this thread...

Do you remember when Netflix had a mass exodus of subscriptions when Obama and Susan Rice were added to the Netflix team in early 2017? I tried to get my $100 investment back in 2016 when I found out Obama used taxpayer dollars to invest in Legion M. I couldn't get a refund, and I haven't received any dividends from the movies Legion M made. I'm not a member of the website or the forum.
                I am sorry, but the fans have nothing to do with these decisions. I also forget that this is showbusiness, so it has gone far from the idealistic "ohh I have got a great story to tell and to entertain people", rather it became a really-really money and income related industry.

So, in a way I'm glad Origins flopped.
                It looks like you have got your strong reasons to hate them. Even if the SG:O is not so good and the franchise's customer service and PR were catastrophically in the last few years, I would never cheer for their failure.

Comment

Honestly If I could be them, then I would accept all these 71 people to create a "beta base group". I don't care about the money as I earn enough, but it would feel unfair if somebody is left out. Since only this amount of candidate responded, maybe everybody could join them. And if they could include more superfan, then there would more chance that they get helping hands at cons around the globe as not everyone would travel to the cons.
                  One tiny problem there, fella... with that beta group... as of yet, still only 6 countries have access to the full experience of the SGC, so anyone from outside of that 6-country circle would still be inelligible for the full experience.

That's why I don't understand the "worldwide" -- you can't expect your worldwide audience, whom you have kept out of the "inner circle" to come back running for the opportunity to be part of the "round table and inner circle" -- you're still out in the cold, even with this "opportunity" to turn the tide.

We're still not elligible for all-access -- and for the record, have you noticed how few "regular" posters are left on the message feed? They didn't stick around, and once you loose them, they are not gonna come back.

Do you remember when Netflix had a mass exodus of subscriptions when Obama and Susan Rice were added to the Netflix team in early 2017? I tried to get my $100 investment back in 2016 when I found out Obama used taxpayer dollars to invest in Legion M. I couldn't get a refund, and I haven't received any dividends from the movies Legion M made. I'm not a member of the website or the forum.
                  I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

I just took a Netflix account though, to watch Star Trek Discovery but I've ventured out already... For a tiny library (Belgium), it's amazing how big it really is.

So, in a way I'm glad Origins flopped.
                  But we don't actually know whether it did... although that it wasn't a major success, that much is clear.

Comment

FH: We will see, I can only repeat myself. Nobody knows what they are planning, if they are planning anything at all. Maybe it was a final attempt to "test the waters", before they shut down the whole SG:C. Really we don't know any exact details about the success / failure of SG:C and the SG:O movie. I am sure that most fans still don't know about the app. I only tried to make some wild calculations as I have seen a number of likes. Even the best feed posts could get less than 200. You know Instagram photos are followed by millions, but I doubt the whole SG:C worked. The campaign was bad, the restrictions made the foreign fans upset, then no news, nothing for months. They must have only a few thousand users. I still feel that they wanted to recruit a few new sailors while the captain has left this sinking ship. But I really hope I am wrong and maybe this franchise and their non-existing marketing strategy could be saved somehow. Even the included countries hasn't got the right treatment (like French or German audio and subtitles), but I have talked about this earlier.

https://www.stargatecommand.co/forum...tml&k=fb920687

My little wishlist : German and French audio and subtitles (for Canada and Germany - the servers could have the whole episodes in other languages if an inner audio changing option can not he built in)).DVD extras. Official photo gallery (photo database could be used for builtin ep recognizing or order arranging games). Subtitles size should be able to be changed (even the Catherine subtitle is too small). Extension for EU countries. More comics, novels or maybe even a few audiobooks. Maybe the Stargate : Infinity series to be added to year 2 (as part of an alternate timeline to be accepted into the canon). Stargate : Worlds concept art section (if some part of the failed project could be built in to future SG movies or games). Galleries for props, costumes, concept arts and set locations, merchandise product (like action figures), new merchandise ideas and reviews suggested by fans. And of course extension for more countries (at least the EU countries). Or create two groups A - streaming and extras, B - no streaming only the extras (so you still see how many people is interested and the streaming legality could be skipped this way). This is my short wishlist, @StargateCommand

By the way the x and post button are too close to each other, so it should ask a question if I really want to delete the written post. Comments should be editable to correct grammatical errors. Posts' date shoud be fixed. Feed entries should be abled to share in the forum without an external link (my PC's browser is confused as it wants to open the app...) New comments disappesring on PC, but they are the mobile or tablet version.
                    It feels like I am holding some campaign speech, but we will see if the Superfans can move things to the right direction.
                    Last edited by Platschu; 11 February 2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Nobody knows what they are planning...
                      I think we can all agree that's a big part of the problem, right there.

Maybe it was a final attempt to "test the waters", before they shut down the whole SG:C.
                      Considering "Original Gater"s paid for a year + 3 months I don't think it'll shut down just yet. Unless, they want to finish it in style -- in which case, they'd piss everyone off in one go.

Really we don't know any exact details about the success / failure of SG:C and the SG:O movie.
                      Which is also part of the problem. As far as the silence goes, I'd say it wasn't the success they were probably hoping for.

I am sure that most fans still don't know about the app.
                      This is true, and even more have, either never heard of Origins, or simply never watched it cause of a variety of reasons.

I only tried to make some wild calculations as I have seen a number of likes. Even the best feed posts could get less than 200. You know Instagram photos are followed by millions, but I doubt the whole SG:C worked. The campaign was bad, the restrictions made the foreign fans upset, then no news, nothing for months. They must have only a few thousand users.
                      They do have a few thousand, but most of those don't venture outside of the streaming part of the app. They are only there to watch the episodes and the behind-the-scenes stuff. Only a handful is active on the feed or the message feed. And, obviously, the USA is best represented, followed by the UK & Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Germany trailing behind.

The other countries have barely any representation... which is only natural. I think France is best represented of those who do not have all-access access.

Even the included countries hasn't got the right treatment (like French or German audio and subtitles), but I have talked about this earlier.
                      I think Germany is a fluke country -- like literally a fluke country. MGM has a big distribution deal in Germany, but subtitles aren't part of that plan. As far as subtitles go for French Canadians -- that's just a poor strategy or too expensive so closed English captions is all you're getting because they are mandatory.

It feels like I am holding some campaign speech, but we will see if the Superfans can move things to the right direction.
                      Practice, practice, practice... you'll soon be our great representative!

Comment

Practice, practice, practice... you'll soon be our great representative!
                        I hope so. But it is more important that the potential winners could move things forward and if this contest could bring some changes in customer service.

For example.
                        1. So many people moaned about the Children of the gods director's cut. Then why could they not put the original episode in the series section, while the new version in the "movies" section? So every fan could watch both version.

2. If there is a technical glitch that they are not able to make movies "multilanguage", then they still should be able to upload the French or German versions as a separate episode. They have got the servers, so it must not be a problem to upload everything 3 times. It is not logical, but if the audio / subtitle change can not be achieved, then this could be a temporary solution.

The main reason why this is important to me as I have seen the SG-1 show in German for years. If there are paying German customers, then they have to provide at least the streaming in their own language. Same goes with the French Canadian.

Comment

1. So many people moaned about the Children of the gods director's cut. Then why could they not put the original episode in the series section, while the new version in the "movies" section? So every fan could watch both version.
                          I think, but don't quote me on this, is because the original version has nudity and well... it's still an American company which means nudity is not "family-friendly" but "military violence shooting up the enemy" is.

And, they don't have any of the DVD versions on there -- just the ones that were broadcast.

2. If there is a technical glitch that they are not able to make movies "multilanguage", then they still should be able to upload the French or German versions as a separate episode. They have got the servers, so it must not be a problem to upload everything 3 times. It is not logical, but if the audio / subtitle change can not be achieved, then this could be a temporary solution.
                          If their tech-team can't figure out how to add multilingual subtitles, they need to be fired a.s.a.p. and replaced cause there's nothing hard about it. I mean, .srt-files really aren't that hard to figure out, I imagine.

Plus, and again don't quote me on that, adding other languages depends on the law of the land, I think. In Belgium, for example, subtitling is mandatory in 2 languages -- films are subtitled at the cinema in French and Dutch f.e. which meant that if you read the wrong line (top or bottom) you still didn't understand what was going on.

Hence why only English-speaking countries have access.... bar Germany and French Canadians.

Besides, they do know how to add multilanguage subtitles. They did it for Origins' digital download.

Comment

I think, but don't quote me on this, is because the original version has nudity and well... it's still an American company which means nudity is not "family-friendly" but "military violence shooting up the enemy" is.
                            BOOBIES

Hence why only English-speaking countries have access.... bar Germany and French Canadians.
                            I'd rather have English subs than France's French subtitles, which is a world apart from our French.

History lesson flash for y'all.

If you want to talk about Canadians that speak French, or more specifically from the Province of Québec, the correct term to use is Quebecers or simply Canadians, not French Canadians

This was a term used in the 1800s, and a derogatory one, used to set the English speaking folks on a high pedestal accentuated by the fact that in the early 1800s Canada was split between two region, the High-Canada (English provinces + west) versus the Lower-Canada (Francophones of the southern portion of Québec). French Canadian meaning basically that they/we were not true Canadians, but half-breed ''French'' Canadians.

People wouldn't say Dutch Belgian or French Swiss would they?

(PS: I know I've used this term before since I understand that like 99.9% of the world have no clue what Québec is)
                            Spoiler:
                            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Just imagine what could happen if we would really get an extension to All-Access. Which language should be preferred? Would they upload all audio version? I mean there is no risk (unfortunately) that Hungary or any small countries get All-Access, but if the local viewers can't watch the shows in their own language, then the SG:C won't be successfull. I know it is not the best solution, but they should consider those languages which could cover the biggest part of world : English, German, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Turkish... But we don't know how popular was Stargate in those countries. But since the DVDs were released in so many countries, I am sure that it can not be that hard to upload those versions.

I was wondering if a Muslim character could work in Stargate? I know they tried to skip the religious belief of the heroes, but it would be interesting to see a Muslim secondary character, who would pray to Mecca even on a distant planet. So if they could handle it with sensitivity, then they wouldn't hurt anyone. I even don't know how popular was Stargate in the Middle-East. I am guessing they must have sold SG-1 to local companies, but I am not really sure the local viewers appreciated it if it was heavily based on the glory of the US Army.

Then I was thinking what would happen if the Stargate brand could be bought by Chinese investors? Would you be happy about it? Because they could still write stories about a Chinese team. I imagined a little scenario, what would happen if an SG team would visit Lord Yu's worlds. It must be interesting, if you can see your own culture in a different developement. But while the people of Earth were competitive through wars, what would happen with a Chinese civiliazation if they are isolated on an other planet? I mean this ohilosophical problem could be visited by any other Earth based culture. So would they happy to see a "time capsule" of their own past in a new form? Or would they be shocked? That is the reason I loved the season 2 episode with the Salish aliens as they were directly talking how a culture evolved on Earth and how it changed on an other planet. I believe some future SG episodes could be based on these questions. Like any Scandinavian people would visit Asgard worlds or see the runes, how would they react? Or if we know that the Latin was the language of the Ancients, then what role and when have they played a role in the Roman Empire? That could be also interesting and that was the other reason I was brainstorming on the Great Library or Academy stories as they could answer these plot holes in our SG history on Earth. But then the writers should really plan ahead what eras existed, which alien visited which continent or folks and when etc. When have Nem's people visited Earth? When has the Giant Aliens visited the Mayans? So many questions, so many exciting new adventure options.
                              Just a theoratical question, so if some rich Arabic or Chinese guy or company could buy the rights of Stargate, would still watch it if the focus of a new SG movie could change to these countries?

Comment

Since when does producers care about other languages? My experience tells me only the highest-budget movies/shows gets translated, 90% of the stuff out there is English only, always been, always will be.

The access part is what doesn't make sense. The language I can deal with, as long as subtitles are included of course for those who can't speak English well.
                                Spoiler:
                                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Working...
                                X