Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA Season Six and SGU S3 Comics (American Mythology)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
    Looks like Universe #0 got postponed until June...

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP161258
    Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Gave these a read today, the three Back to Pegasus issues and the first Gateways issue.

Hoooo boy. Not good. Genuinely surprised to see if getting any kind of positive response.

I know - opinions, a-holes, etc etc.
      Just curious: what is it you dislike about the comics? I'm enjoying them a bright side better than I ever did Legacy, I couldn't even get through the first book. I know the comics are not perfect - they have a very fast pace that doesn't leave much time to breathe and a few plot points I'm not sold just yet.

Comment

Well, the two key parts of any given comic: the writing, and the art.

The storytelling leaps around without rhyme or reason--to the point where it's not just lacking in exposition, it's bordering on nonsensical. The broad strokes of the story are evident, but that's about it.

The characters are depicted terribly; none of them even remotely comes across like their TV counterparts. Perhaps worse, they're not even depicted as characters. That is to say, they're not even they're own defined characters in the comics. With one, possibly two exceptions, literally every line in the comic could have been delivered by any other character.

As for the art? Oh my. i can understand that there may be licensing issues with using the likeness of certain actors, but there's just no excuse for the characters looking as they do. They are unrecognizable, which, paired with the beige writing of the dialogue, is just inexcusable.

Even the environments come across as halfassed and bland. For most of the panels so far, the art is so bland that you can barely identify where anybody is at any given time. Alongside the breakneck/breathless pacing and the terrible character art, it's challenging (at best) to be able to tell what is going on without reading, and then re-reading the scene at least once.

The only thing I can give any credit for is having a couple of interesting ideas that I can construct my own fantasy Season 6 around. Beyond that? Goodness me, this is an embarrassment.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Goodness me, this is an embarrassment.
          It almost sounds like you're classifying it at the same level as that Stargate we do not speak of: Infinity.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
            Maybe SWAT could answer this for us, but it looked to me like those sections of characters' faces were left like that for digital inking and were shaded by the colorist instead. That's my guess, anyway.
            Hey guys, thank you for all the kind words on SGA: Gateways #1. We're very proud of the work we're doing. To address some of your concerns, here's what I can say, MGM owns Stargate and therefore are in control of the property, yes they even have control of the writing and art in the comics so we have to follow their suggestions/changes or they won't approve it for print. It's created delays in publication and other issues I can't discuss. We may be publishing the comic but they own the rights and are extremely protective of Stargate so we have to play by their rules. I wish we could produce the series without having to get their approval every step of the way but it is what it is and we're doing everything we can to produce the best stories and art we can for you guys. I hope that helps.

Comment

SGA: Gateways #2 is up now for preorder, along with #3, at the AM site.

I have a suggestion for the AM webpage: now that the AM comic line has grown, a search feature would be nice in the shopping section. By the time I scroll down to find both 2 and 3 and all the covers I want, my shopping cart times out.
              Last edited by WraithTech; 11 December 2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Looking back to the Kickstarter artwork and this cover which was tweeted, there was this lovely character who looks like a Wraith Queen with ultra-long hair... whoever she is, if she appears, along with any other notable new characters who appear in the comic, it would be nice if they had their own character pages too. Their costume design in particular would be a good visual addition. Or, if those can't fit, some tweets of the same would also get some fannish joy.

Comment

This is disappointing news...

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP161259

Makes me wonder if these comics will continue or not. Not sure if any of the creators still pop in here or not but maybe if they do they can chime in

Comment

In what way is that disappointing?

Comment

I think and hope PreviewsWorld has a typo. The AM webpage says this title is shipping in Jan, not Jun.
                      http://www.americanmythology.net/pro...3-c93786311b9d

Comment

I've posted on the artist's Facebook page, asking.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

A six month delay seems like bad news to me.

Hopefully it is s typo. I asked them in Twitter as well

Comment

Ah... like that.

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                              This is disappointing news...

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP161259

Makes me wonder if these comics will continue or not. Not sure if any of the creators still pop in here or not but maybe if they do they can chime in
                              Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                              I think and hope PreviewsWorld has a typo. The AM webpage says this title is shipping in Jan, not Jun.
                              http://www.americanmythology.net/pro...3-c93786311b9d
                              I don't think it's a typo. June 28 is a Wednesday, whereas January 28 is a Satuarday. Since comics are released only on Wednesdays, the June date is likely accurate.

June is a helluva delay. Yikes!

Comment

And since the Universe comic was pushed to June as well that means nothing Stargate related from them any time soon. Not good for launching a brand...

Comment

Working...
                                X