Haven (Syfy) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Selene1212 View Post
    I never watched that show but I am reminded slightly of the old show Eerie, Indiana. If any of you are old enough to remember that one.
    I hope I'm thinking of the right show, because I recall seeing a series that lasted about two minutes some years ago, and there's that Haven meets Twin Peaks thing about it.
    I thought the first was Eerie, Indiana but the time period seems off to me.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
    Well I hope the ending is not as predictable as Harper's Island, where everyone I know guest who the killer was in the first episode. But it was entertaining through. I have not seen haven yet through.
    I only watched about two eps of Harpers, but there was a Haven-esk quality to it during the first ep I remember, or vice versa. So I don't know how Harper's ended, though I have wondered now and again but never bother to look it up.

Hopefully I'll remember to get my dad to record Haven and Eureka for me tonight since I couldn't get over there to set up the recorder today.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by raduzhok View Post
      I hope I'm thinking of the right show, because I recall seeing a series that lasted about two minutes some years ago, and there's that Haven meets Twin Peaks thing about it.
      I thought the first was Eerie, Indiana but the time period seems off to me.
      Thats about the size of it. It was billed as a kids show though.

In tonights episode Nathan was
      Spoiler:
      freaking scary!!! ...but again, the dangerous people got off scot free.

Comment

Eh. After finishing tonight's episode, I'm feeling less wowed than ever.

- I don't like that there's pretty much zero recurring cast
        - I don't like Nathan. He has all the acting range of a 2x4
        - I don't like that it seems every episode is going to be a 'random weirdness of the week'

At this point I'm basically just watching in hopes of a story arc getting established, and to drool over Emily Rose.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well looks to me like Audreys history is the story arc...

Comment

It needs....more.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Sadly, I think I'll be giving up on this show. The lack of an explanation as to why all these things are happening is just annoying me too much. The guy surely must have played music for his wife in the past and nothing happened before so why all of sudden now. Yes I know, the "troubles" are back. That's seems like just a cop-out to me. An excuse to have people do weird things with no explanation.

It seems the plot of the show is - all of a sudden weird thing starts happening and people are killed or hurt till they figure out who (NOT what) is causing it. Then they get them out of town with no punishment or search into why it's happening.

I'm more of a why is this happening kind of person instead of an ooh supernatural stuff is happening isn't this cool go with it type. Not a fan of Stephen King stuff so maybe this is in the same style and so probably shouldn't have started watching in the 1st place, but the beginning of the 1st ep had me interested so I went with it.
              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                Sadly, I think I'll be giving up on this show. The lack of an explanation as to why all these things are happening is just annoying me too much. The guy surely must have played music for his wife in the past and nothing happened before so why all of sudden now. Yes I know, the "troubles" are back. That's seems like just a cop-out to me. An excuse to have people do weird things with no explanation.

It seems the plot of the show is - all of a sudden weird thing starts happening and people are killed or hurt till they figure out who (NOT what) is causing it. Then they get them out of town with no punishment or search into why it's happening.

I'm more of a why is this happening kind of person instead of an ooh supernatural stuff is happening isn't this cool go with it type. Not a fan of Stephen King stuff so maybe this is in the same style and so probably shouldn't have started watching in the 1st place, but the beginning of the 1st ep had me interested so I went with it.
                Sadly, your whole explanation is probably the reason this show will last. I would say the viewers that are attracted to this show don't care about the "why" factor.

Comment

3 episodes in, and this show really isn't wowing me. I will continue to watch it for now, but, I really expected better.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I am beginning to look forward to the show each wek. I guess I'm just more patient waiting on explanations, allowing the storyteller to set the pace. I know that with the ability to ride through entire seasons with DVD collections, we don't have to wait from week to week to figure out plots and understand where the story is heading. I have greater hope for this show than SGU for me just because it's brighter and funnier. I was interested in the fact that Ray (I think was his name) reminded me of Ken Griffey, Jr., so probably dismissed any inconsistencies that may have bothered me with that plotline. I don't think they'd do the "previously on..." bits if there weren't overarching stories to unravel, however, just might mean attending to them more closely. I LOVED Twin Peaks and the characters both with their subtleties, so this is right up my alley!

Comment

I just watch the first episode. The acting is dodgy in places, but I thought the story was pretty descent.

I think were to many jokes, an the show did not take it self seriously enough for my liking. It could of been darker in places to.

But I like the mysteries an questions they created in the first episode. If the acting improves in the next couple of episodes then I may stick with it. An less jokes. An create more mysteries, never can have enough mysteries an unanswered questions.
                      Last edited by knowles2; 25 July 2010, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Haven's ratings for episode 3 -

Haven
                        - 1.843 million viewers
                        - 1.2/2 HH
                        - 0.5/2 A18-49
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                        sigpic

Comment

so are those ratings good or bad?

I think I'll keep watching the show, I also am missing the lack of deeper explanations and exploration of overarching story lines (two word references to "the troubles" and an old news paper story just doesn't quite cut it) but it's still early days. I think it's routine for new shows to start up with flavour of the week stories then delve deeper into the background as it's established. However given all this paranormal activity I do fear that the big reveal could turn out to be some disappointing magic mumbo jumbo. Still it's based on a stephen king story (which I didn't know existed and still don't know anything about) and since I like this author it should still be decent.

I'm not sure I like that boat character (duke?) seems like the stereotypical bad boy with a good heart and that's just too cliche. Next thing I know him and the good cop will start competing over the same love interest, or just as worse it turns out that is the source of their animosity in the past.
                          I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Just watched last Friday's episode. I tried, but just do not care. I think aside from SGU and Spartacus, I am pretty much done with TV. These shows just do not interest me. And what hell, if they are interesting they will usually screw you in the end with either early cancellation or an idiotic BSG/Lost ending.

So enjoy the show folks, I hope it works out for those that do like it.

Comment

We're still hanging in, watching. It comes as a package deal, since I record Eureka and Haven, at my folk's house since they have Sci Fi channel and we don't. At best, it might turn out to have some interesting weird things happening, at worst, could easily sere as an MST3K type amusement.

I am reading that huge, unabridged, extended edition of King's THE STAND, and seeing Haven is based on one of his stories, makes me want to read that after I finish my current book.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post

I'm not sure I like that boat character (duke?) seems like the stereotypical bad boy with a good heart and that's just too cliche. Next thing I know him and the good cop will start competing over the same love interest, or just as worse it turns out that is the source of their animosity in the past.
                                Sometimes these character really do writer themselves. That was obvious in the first episode he one of those three, he may change through an be a completly different character in the future, the only one I watch so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X