Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to put it down in writing right now: the dominant form of life in the galaxy is sentient tacos.

There, now 6000 years from now, the loons can read that and say there's "evidence" that 6000 years ago, sentient tacos were a thing. And also that I was a prophet, because hey why not.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I'm going to put it down in writing right now: the dominant form of life in the galaxy is sentient tacos.

There, now 6000 years from now, the loons can read that and say there's "evidence" that 6000 years ago, sentient tacos were a thing. And also that I was a prophet, because hey why not.
      You need some people (fan fiction) to write a fantasy novel, then have people kill other people to prove you fantasy novel was factual, and build an organization proving your fan fiction was canon.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

C'mere a sec GF....and yes, I always carry around an axe, why do you ask?
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

C'mere a sec GF....and yes, I always carry around an axe, why do you ask?
          It's not you who should have the axe, unless you are god.
          You should give the axe to your minions and ask them to do reprehensible acts.
          sigpic

Comment

That's a good point actually. Where's jel at?

Comment

That's a good point actually. Where's jel at?
              Making my bacon, dude sits on my couch all day, and PH's van is still on my lawn.
              sigpic

Comment

I'll join the sentient tacos organization. All Hail the sentient tacos!

Comment

Jelgate is no one's minion. You're thinking about Soul
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                    I'll join the sentient tacos organization. All Hail the sentient tacos!
                    they come in caravans, might need to send in some ice.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      Making my bacon, dude sits on my couch all day, and PH's van is still on my lawn.
                      The bacon is no more
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        The bacon is no more
                        Death, Taxes, Bacon.
                        They are universal truths.
                        sigpic

Comment

As well as the truth that I eat all the bacon. You can have Rob's Canadian bacon. That I will never eat
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

And those who are prideful, and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Comment

And those who are prideful, and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.
                              Dirty Ori worshipper!!
                              I'll re-snap you, see how you like being made unto dust.
                              sigpic

Comment

It sounds like I'm about to go down a rabbit hole, but I'll give it a shot anyway...

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                                That's the thing, though, isn't it? It's just a theory, not proven fact.
                                As they've probably tried to explain to you before, you're conflating the word "theory" as we use it in our every day conversation with a "scientific theory." When a layman says he has a theory he is essentially saying he has a guess. In a conversation one person might declare, "I have a theory!" and then proceed to tell you the idea that just popped into their head.

When we refer to a theory in the context of science, we are talking about the compilation of facts and data into a substantiated explanation. For example, it is a fact that animals have evolved over time. This is not going to ever be disproved unless Descartes' musing about the world being an illusion created by an evil demon (or some variation thereof) turns out to be true. Why we call it the Theory of Evolution is because our explanation for all the intricacies of how evolution works is still being fine tuned. We have more facts to gather and data to pour through in order to complete the whole picture. Some conclusions within the theory may be based off of faulty data and may need to be corrected (e.g. we may currently think this animal evolved into that animal and it may turn out that it actually should be classified in an entirely different family), but the overarching principle that animals do evolve our time is factual and supported by mountains of evidence.

Another is that that the Earth has been undergoing warming and cooling periods for its entire existence, and there is plenty of evidence to back that up. Or do you deny that?
                                Yes, and sometimes guns go off on their own, but if you find a dead body next to a gun that has my fingerprints on it and then you test my hands and find gunpowder on it and you have witnesses who saw me walk out of the deceased person's house just after they heard a gunshot, it probably was me who killed him and not an accident.

The overwhelming scientific consensus based off of careful study of all the data and facts is that this particular warming period is man made. Pointing out that there have been other periods of warming that have happened independent of human activity would be valid if scientists have not already analyzed the data and ruled that possibility out. What you are doing is offering an alternate explanation without any facts to support it and asking people to dismiss fact based conclusions because it "could" be happening for this other reason that you decided is just as valid as the reason actual scientists talk about.

Comment

Working...
                                X