Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tagger View Post
    The new DK interview with scifitalk.com posted on the sanctuary fans online site is really "juicy"!

Thanks!
    I just listened to it and it was great. I love hearing Damian talk about the show and we got to hear a few more new things about the show. The interviewer, Tony Tellado, was good too.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      I just listened to it and it was great. I love hearing Damian talk about the show and we got to hear a few more new things about the show. The interviewer, Tony Tellado, was good too.
      I really like the interviewers who've featured DK, AT and Co. In this case, just as with the SoSF folks, the interviewer just seemed so genuinely jazzed about the whole thing. It wasn't just an opportunity to talk about something - anything - scifi-related; they all seem really excited about the series.

Who's gonna start the countdown tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
        Who's gonna start the countdown tomorrow?
        Countdown for what??

Did I miss something?

Spoiler:
        Heehee - KIDDING, just kidding!!
        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
        Quint Studer

Comment

Spoiler:
          Whoever is nearest, smack tagger
          scarimor

Comment

Poor tagger!!

I'm going to start transcribing the interview after dinner, but it is 30 minutes so I'll probably split it into 3 parts and post part 1 later tonight and the rest as soon as I can.
            -

Comment

Poor tagger!!

I'm going to start transcribing the interview after dinner, but it is 30 minutes so I'll probably split it into 3 parts and post part 1 later tonight and the rest as soon as I can.
              Ah excellent. I can never be bothered to listen to voice interviews, since I always get distracted by something else on the screen and tune out the sound

Comment

scarimor

Comment

OK here's part 1 of Damian Kindler's interview with Tony Tellado from Sci-Fi Talk. The other 2 parts will get done tomorrow.

spoilered for space
                  Spoiler:
                  TT - Tony Tellado
                  DK - Damian Kindler

Introduction

Welcome once again to SciFi Talk this is Tony Tellano. It's great to be there at the beginning and for myself and other SF podcasts like Slice of SciFi and many more, we cannot contain our enthusiasm for a new webisode project called Sanctuary which is being produced by some familiar faces that are in front and behind the scenes. One of the driving forces is Damian Kindler who is the executive producer, coming from a rich background working on shows like Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, SciFactor among others. We spoke a week before the premiere of the first webisode of this fascinating new series called Sanctuary.

Interview

TT: Well I think is, what is really cool about what you are doing is you’re really being one of the pioneers of downloadable, episodic television on the internet because that’s becoming something popular and certainly has helped shows like Heroes by having people watching episodes online as well.

DK: It's funny that its become such a revolution of what is going online because when we started this back just before Google bought YouTube, and everybody was like saying, “You’re crazy there's nothing out there. It's Mentos and Diet Coke bottles, and who cares, you'll lose your shirts." And suddenly Google bought YouTube suddenly episodes of network shows are being thrown up there. Suddenly Battlestar Galactica is gonna get a move on . Wow we really caught the wave as it was hitting the beach. The Good thing is that we didn't just say, "Let's just make a show, do the best we can and throw it up there. We kind of took the same innovative philosophy to the actual approach of making the show. The initial inspiration was "Look, if you are trying to compete with television, there's no way you can just make television. You have to make something that people don't get to see on television and entertainment ways that television doesn't entertain. And so that was when we really began to discuss making a sci-fi show that is extensively green screen shot. To my knowledge there isn't a green screen heavy or completely green screen shot television series being produced. And we started doing very innovative like not just creating 3D virtual sets to film against but also shooting directly to a digital hard drive and not using HDH for anything but a back up. And using real time 3D computer modelling on set so actors standing on the green screen can follow what the 3D computer set looks like on a monitor while they're acting. So there's a lot of innovation that went into this not just going on the net. Everything’s going on the net. It's how it goes on the net and what is it? There was a lot of innovation and that continues to be our watch word as we build on what we're doing.

TT: And for example with the sanctuary itself it's impossible to create something like that on a real set it would be just huge!

DK: It would be huge or it would look crappy and you would only be able to shoot pieces of it and you'd get sick of it. You couldn't shoot actors up, you know in low angle shot because that’s where the lights usually go and you know the combination of real with pieces of matte extensions and a kind of hodge podge and you'd go "Well, nice try but meh, mediocre batcave", you know? And we decided, and that's just one of the really fabulous sets that we built that we can revisit. We have a choice now. People don't realize this. That instead of spending you know hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars on building a real village or a real castle, a real batcave or Wayne Manor set, having to justify the expense by constantly shooting there, you can use that money on visual effects. And instead of having to go on location and have every planet you visit look like British Columbia, you can build anything and don't go anywhere except on our set. We can create anything we want.. There is more than one way to create a virtual background. You can spend money on things like the Sanctuary and Magnus' elements in the Sanctuary in real, very, very visceral interesting 3D computer design, But you can also take two dimensional design and enhance it and give your self looks that are very amazing because the technology now allows for photoreal interactive backgrounds that don't necessarily break the budget.

TT: Yeah, that's great, I mean would you say that I mean certainly coming from the world of Stargate they certainly built a universe and really expanded upon it because there really wasn't much in the original film. Is that something that helped you to see Sanctuary as a kind of build it's own world as well?

DK: Absolutely, I mean when you've sat in a room for five years on and off with people like Brad Wright and Rob Cooper, I mean, these guys are amazing at constantly breaking down the barriers of what mythology means. And well why not and why can't this guy come to earth and why can't this happen. There was always lines that you couldn't cross because it was ridiculous but you know then they did "200" so... They did every taboo that we'd never break and we're gonna put it in one episode and I thought that was brilliant. So no absolutely when I think of Sanctuary I think of a place that has limitless possibilities and I'm even more of a cowboy when it comes to logic rules and regulations than maybe those guys. So to the point where I'd even, one of the things I'm conceding is once ... there's a second sci-fi concept that our company wants to launch in 2008 or 2009 and I would even though it is very different conceptually, I wouldn't even call it even remotely a spin off of Sanctuary, I would use one to launch the other and there would be literally a conceptual porthole, if you will, from one reality, one world to the other and I think viewers don’t mind that. Don't mind the little connective tissue because they appreciate the imagination that goes into making these worlds and their feedback is huge, it's wonderful.

TT: That's actually one thing that is cool is that you will encourage feedback from the viewers and actually take some of that to heart too.

DK: Well we have a very, very deep and growing connection with our fans you know. The people that run our official fan site work very, very closely on a daily basis with us and we deal with fan issues both good and bad on almost a real time basis. You know I get instant messages saying this is happening in the forums, this is what people are saying, this is what I think you need to understand and this is how I can respond as a person creating this show to the people who are my core audience. There are very, very back and forth strong lines of communication and they're not ignored and their needs and their issues and their gratitude or their criticisms are not left ignored like some sort of bothersome thing you're feeded it's a very flat model as far as the flat earth and we look at them as partners in this venture because lets face it this is not gonna work if we do not have fan support.

TT: That's what I think is incredible and God knows I've been waiting a long time to see something like this come about where fans aren't ignored as a matter of fact their involvement is encouraged and I think that's very, very powerful and I think that'll hook a lot of people into it too.

DK: Well, it's what inspired it, because we wanted to do something different. It was myself and Martin Wood and John Smith and Amanda Tapping and we all realised the absolute megawatt power that fandom has. We said "listen, the internet, sci-fi, this is out there the tip of the spear on this" you know it ain't gonna work if we say look lets just put it up there and hope they like it . It has to be tell us what you think, become part of the community, tell us what’s working, what you want, what doesn't work. I'll be honest when we first started I thought it’ll be neat, we're giving something to people who'll like it but since we've gotten out so far up the river as we might, we'd be lost without them. Without the fanbase in the forums that are setup with the people responding, with the people posting on my blog where I don't think I'd know the correct direction to go and would know what it would bear conceptually to work because I'm hearing feedback about the characters. So I can't wait till we actually have feedback on the webisodes and I'm gonna go wow they love this, this message did not come through and I can really begin to… that goes into the editing room I'm gonna go look last time we edited they didn't get that so I think we'll have to make sure we show a shot of X because I'm hearing this from the fans right now. And that's a very, very amazing dynamic right there and I think that's important as a creator of something because I feel it's something important to acknowledge, without ego, that things done well are done collaboratively.

TT: Absolutely, absolutely that's great that fandom is going to be so involved and as far as the cast go Amanda Tapping obviously a great background from Stargate of course and the thing I like about her character Helen Magnus I think you said it in a previous interview like Carter is what you see is what you get she's pretty open but Helen Magnus she’s mysterious, closed, we don't know everything quite about her

DK: And there's so much history to her, she's nearly 160!

TT: Yeah, yeah

DK: She's, not you know you don't have enough time in your life to hear about all the stuff she's done and that's wonderful because people will come back I'll keep writing it because I wanted to know what the heck we're doing this week to reveal because that's great the fact is that I'm as passionate about this character as you are because I don't know yet, I have some very strong ideas but there's a huge validation from talking to people whose opinions I respect because sci-fi press, fanboy press, this is the real stuff, this is like boots on the ground. It's hard to talk to someone when it's a perfunctory "yeah, it's OK so what is your project, ..........." but when it's not that, it's an actual human spark of appreciation, I get very excited about that.

TT: Oh that's great

DK: You know you could create a Joe Blow character and everyone is yeah that's just like the guy on whatever but if you create a character that you respond to as a person I get very, very thrilled by that.

To be continued in Part 2
                  -

Comment

Countdown for what??

Did I miss something?

Spoiler:
                    Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                    *winds up*

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                      Poor tagger!!
                      Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                      *winds up*
                      *pounds frantically on the Sanctuary gates*

HELP!! I NEED SANCTUARY!!!

OK here's part 1 of Damian Kindler's interview with Tony Tellado from Sci-Fi Talk. The other 2 parts will get done tomorrow.

spoilered for space

To be continued in Part 2
                      I have to say it again - RoX ROCKS!!

Thanks, that is a lot of work. Great interview, though!
                      Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                      Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                        Ah excellent. I can never be bothered to listen to voice interviews, since I always get distracted by something else on the screen and tune out the sound
                        Like the freaky-weird graphics they use?
                        Quint Studer

Comment

Alrighty!

Here's Part 2 of the Sci-Fi Talk interview from a couple days ago.

Part 1 can be found here.

Spoilered for space/general spoiler-y purposes. There are some details - about moments/arcs - that some people might not want to know before the eps "air."

Spoiler:

As before...
                          TT = Tony Tellado
                          DK = Damian Kindler

TT: You know, I love Victorian England. That’s one of my favorite historical periods. And that’s where, you know, she kind of originates from. And then, also Jack the Ripper legend is something I’m interested in, so obviously she has a connection. And what’s dynamic is they have a child, Ashley, together. And obviously there’s a character that has a lot of room for potential growth as well.

DK: Has that spoiler been out? Is that for sure – everyone knows that for sure…

TT: It’s on a lot of the websites for Sanctuary, yeah.

DK: Well…

TT: It’s not supposed to be, or…?

DK: Well, there’s gonna be a lot of people watching the first four going, “Well we knew that, well they’re really going hard on that reveal, but we knew that…” Like for instance, I would even say that the reveal of how old Magnus is, which is a mystery to Will, which will be revealed at the end of websiode four -

TT: Right, right, yeah.

DK: - And everyone’s gonna be like, “Ohhh, we knew that!” But he doesn’t. That’s kind of – in fact, I hope the way it unfolds is everyone’s so in on the joke that they’re laughing at how befuddled Will is. They’re like, “Don’t you get it?! She’s that old! Don’t you get it?” We do know anyway because we see Magnus in Old England, and then we see her now in the present. And we know what’s going on. But it’s fun watching one of our heroes try to figure it out. And that’s part of his confusion, being thrust into this world, that we… in a way it’s like the inside joke of the whole fandom… Which is that fans are very in on it. And when somebody comes from the outside “ordinary,” mainstream world, into the fan world, it’s like a great parallel. It’s like, watch this guy get indoctrinated into this amazing [unintelligible] that he didn’t know existed. And you guys are kind of ahead of the game. You’ve done your homework on the web, you’re way ahead, and now you’re just watching it unfold as kind of a luxury of enjoying the details, right?

TT: Absolutely, absolutely. And you know I love triads. I mean I’m a fan of the original Trek. And you have that with this series. You have Robin Dunne playing Will Zimmerman, too. And you know he’s like this scientific, or, I guess I could say kinda Spockish in that sense. And then you have the girls, too, around him. I do like that triad, and that for some reason seems to work in this kinda genre, too.

DK: Well, you know, there’s a couple of things. First of all, I see in a very basic, perfunctory sort of way - and this is not kind of the thing that I actually play off of – Will’s character is a bit more of a Scully, to Magnus' Mulder. But it’s more like if Mulder was 160 and had seen it all, and could prove it all. You know? Will’s first instinct as a doctor, and as a man who understands the clinical elements of the human psyche, as opposed to the unknown, his first reaction is, “No, no, there’s all a logical explanation.” And we have to have that spun, because if Will starts to go, “Yeah, of course!,” then there’s no conflict between the characters. Someone has to represent the possibility of things being not what they seem. And I think that’s important, otherwise it’s complete, out-and-out fantasy, without any kind of foot in reality. And we need to have the tension of the real and the unknown, the known and the unknown, playing out in every story.

TT : You said she’s like Mulder - only with a much thicker file! (Laughter)

DK: But he now runs the FBI!

TT: Yeah, exactly. Exactly.

DK: Tom, the other thing I wanted to bring up –

TT: Yeah!

DK: Sorry, I really wanted to mention because you [unintelligible] Victorian England, and I’m really pleased by that.

TT: Oh, yeah. I love it.

DK: Two things are… You know one, people warned me - because this script has been around I think seven years, and a few people saw it – and one of the things that kind of old salt (?) that people put me… “Dude, don’t go near the Jack the Ripper mythology, it’s so, like, please...” Time after time, “Just stop. What are you doing?” And I couldn’t help myself because I was very very, very influenced by a couple things I’d read. I was very influenced by Alan [Moore’s], “League of Extraordinary Gentleman” - the comic book, not the movie. Very, very influenced by Caleb Carr’s novel, “The Alienist.” The first you know, sort of profiler in turn-of-century New York. And there was a kind of a tone. And I felt, You know what, I can’t stop it. I can’t help myself from taking something that’s inherently almost a historical cliché, and spinning it. And I think that the more we’ll see John Druitt as a character, especially over season one, and what I want to do for season two, people will go, “You know what? This is amazing.” It started in a place we thought, “Oh yeah, Jack the Ripper, maybe he’s got some super power or whatever.” Then we take him, humanize it, and really begin to create a very deep character connection between him and Magnus and others. That, to me, is exciting. When you take a character with historical reference, but then make it your own, you’re in a way validating that character.

TT: Oh yeah. You know, you mentioned John Druitt, and he’s played by an actor who I’ve had the pleasure to sit down. And you know the last time I saw Christopher Heyerdahl, he had a lot more hair! (Laughter) You know, especially being on Atlantis. But I know that he is a fantastic actor, and he’ll bring a lot more than just the look to Druitt, as well.

DK: Well there was a moment, in one of the climactic moments of the first four webisodes... I think it’s in webisode four. The first four webisodes are mainly the John Druitt story, and Magnus and Will. And the second eight webisodes are a different story, picking up almost like the second episode. There’s a lot of connective tissue. The first four, the second four. But, it’s like Episodes One and Two, like hour one and hour two. But there’s a moment in the climactic moment of the story, between John Druitt and Ashley and Will, where Chris brought such power and emotion to the way he was playing John, that it infected everybody, so that both Amanda and Emilie were brought to a very raw, very, very vulnerable place as actors. And there were moments when Martin Wood would yell, “Cut!” and turn to me, and his eyes are moist. And going, “I just can’t believe what’s going on here. Chris is just pushing the envelope in such an amazing way here.” And Amanda was loving it. And you didn’t want to talk to the actors between takes, because you didn’t want to shatter this amazing tension that was so real and palpable. And by the end of the day, everyone was drained and thrilled and hugging. And you know we have pictures of Emilie tied up in a chair, being hugged by Amanda, because she’s emotional. Because of Chris, just pushing like a freight train up a hill, going, “We’re going to make this so powerful,” you know. And it was brilliant. And all the actors responded. He is just absolutely a joy to watch work, because he has power as an actor. It was an amazing day. One of the great days of the month-long shoot.

TT: Well that’s great, that’s great to hear that. I’m not surprised. And, you know, off camera, he’s like one of the nicest guys you’ll ever wanna meet.

DK: Oh, he’s amazing.

TT: He’s really cool, he’s really cool.

DK: And, you know, the wonderful thing about Chris is not just that he’s warm and funny and compassionate and daring. But he’s one of those guys who takes no crap. He doesn’t suffer fools. If he finds you being all egotistical or throwing your weight around and trumped up in your chest, he’ll just point at you. He’s like the way Chris Judge is sometimes. He’ll just say, “Is that, is that, really what you’re putting out there, because, come on…” He’s very good at bringing people back to their human places, as opposed to their public persona places.

TT: But, you know what’s actually ironic, is today I heard in the news this South African mystery writer/investigator actually speculated on the identity of Jack the Ripper. So it was kind of funny.

DK: And you know there’s a book that someone bought me for Christmas, called “Thunderstruck.” Yeah, the fellow who wrote “Devil in the White City.” He lives in Seattle, what’s his name? [NOTE: I looked it up, and I think it may be Erik Larson] Anyway, there’s a whole Jack the Ripper element in there. My brother’s been telling me, “You have to read this book!” So that’s on my reading list, too.

TT: Oh, there you go. There you go.

DK: So tell me about the South African writer, though.

TT: He speculated that it was actually a South African serial killer.

DK: Really?

TT: And he was in, the time that he has to him being in Victorian London, was his daughter gave birth there. So that ties him to being in that area during the White Chapel Murders. And supposedly he left, and so did the murders stopped as well. And he was actually executed as a spy years later, so it was kind of interesting.

DK: Yeah, I love the fact that even in 2007, people are talking about this.

TT: I know, yeah! Yeah!

DK: Very cool. And one of the episodes I can’t wait to write in episode one - or season one - following up on John Druitt….

TT: Yeah.

DK: Assuming he lives past episode one.

TT: Yeah, that’s something –

DK: Well, I can’t kill him off. I think I said in one of my blogs is, the world’s too interesting with him in it. But how he leaves, when he leaves, what he leaves knowing, you know, is wonderful. And for the following, I think that people will have to wait an achingly long time before we revisit him. But when we do, it’ll be a real [unintelligible] show. It’s all Jack, and that’s cool.

TT: Cool! Another element to the show that I like is, that you know, it’s called “cryptozoology.” And essentially investigating creatures or animals that are hypothesized to exist. And that certainly, you know, that’s something that you can bring into the mythology with Amanda’s character, being you know with 157 years worth of investigations.

DK: And that comes from my days way back in the mid-90s when I worked on a show called “Psi Factor.”

TT: Yes, of course.

DK: I think every fourth episode was talking about cryptozoology, or bringing in a cryptozoologist. Or, you know… And we had a lot of fun talking about the three-headed alligators, or chupacabras, or, you know, gator-bears that lived in sewers. You know, it was wonderful. Cryptozoology can be as silly or serious as you want it to be. So I just threw that in there, because I think that’s – it’s, you know, like “X-Files.” You can have a guy that’s [unintelligible], a guy that has oil in his eyes, you have aliens, or creatures or... You can do anything. I don’t know about aliens. That’s the one thing. Someone asked me that recently, “So you gonna do aliens?” I’m like, “I don’t think so.” I don’t think there will be aliens in Sanctuary, unless I get a thousand fan letters, saying, “You must do aliens.” And then I might find some other way to do it. But, uh, for now I think that it’s important to differentiate Sanctuary from Stargate, or any other space-bound shows.

TT: Sure.

DK: There’s something wonderful and gothic in graphic novels about this. And I would say that if it was a show about an alien, I guarantee you by the end of the show, it would be revealed to not be an alien.

Continued in Part 3

Comment

And here is Part 3 of the Damian Kindler interview with SciFi Talk

Spoiler:
                            TT: Yeah, yeah that's cool. That sounds great. You know you mentioned Martin Wood earlier we see him on the DVDs that he's pretty easy going and stuff. He has got to be one of the most underrated directors on television right now, he's amazing.

DK: Listen Tony I'll tell you something about Martin. Now Martin is a good friend of mine and we had an absolute blast really. But what he's done with Sanctuary is head and shoulders above anything you've seen him do before. Because he created the look and the feel and the moves and the mood of this show. I mean I wrote the story and we executive produced it together with Amanda and John Smith but I'll tell you when it came to the nuts and bolts how does this look, what is the tone, you know someone who is standing on a big set with an old lamp post and the rest is green and has to tell 150 people "Guys there's a wall here, a doorway here, a green special effect out there, this happens, the blood goes this way" and in his head he got himself to a point where he would look at the big green set, which looked like green to me, and he wouldn't see it. He'd see the negative image; he'd see what was going to be there.

TT: Uh huh

DK: What's there now because of computers. Because he story boarded it, he previsualised it with out PreVis team and then when we shot it he knew what it was and now that it has all happened you can see what was in his mind three months ago. And it is brilliant, I mean I ... he directed my first Stargate I ever wrote

TT: Oh Cool

DK: He's wonderful but this is a whole new level. This is a whole new Martin Wood, so I think that once this gets big, people will begin to recognise him as more than "just a sci-fi" director he's pretty much a bloody visionary when it comes to this work.

TT: Well even on Stargate he would shoot things in a certain way so that it wasn't the way it was shot 300 times before. You know, he wanted to do something different every time he had an episode and it shows and it really were some of Stargate's best moments when he directed those episodes, no doubt about it.

DK: So he's actually... and you know people you know Andy and Peter Deluise when he was directing the show would always say that Martin Wood always pushed the envelope. And one of the reasons he did because he's brilliant at saying "I want X" and then everyone throws up their hands and says "you're out of you r mind A) it can't be done and B) it will cost too much and then he just calmly and rationally explains not just how it can be done but how wonderful it will be and he sells everybody on his imagination. He's very infectious. I think that's why you get episodes like that because he's able to not just put this wild idea out there but actually execute it, so it's great.

TT: And anytime you can get Peter Deluise in front of the camera you know you've got something special there.

DK: Oh well, he's amazing, he's you know... Peter is exactly the right kind of smartass gun fanatic to play this thing. His character will figure quite heavily in the third hour. I love Peter and it's great to ... he's directed a lot of my episodes too and he's a good buddy. I'm a really big fan of him both in front of and behind the camera. Yeah, it's just great to have access to these people and have them want to work with you and you know I'm very, very honoured and humbled by the fact that everyone... Amanda Tapping, John Smith you know people like that said "let's do this". And you know once Sanctuary goes to series which we're anticipating later this summer or fall, being able to work every day with people like Martin and Amanda and getting, cranking out ah building that whole mythology.

TT: Yeah. Now the trailer is already online where people can watch it so we'll let people know about that. Maybe this is a good thing I actually had a little trouble accessing it which could mean that a lot of people were trying to look at it so that's a good thing

DK: Yeah, and I'll tell you one thing go back later today or tomorrow morning because we've addressed some of the speed issues of slow loading The player will work like lightning.

TT: OK

DK: So we kind of realised that the player was designed... and that player will continue to add interactive features as we go. But the player was designed by our engineer who works in northern California where there is a higher grade of high speed servers and we didn't quite realise until yesterday that there's different quality high speed servers around the country and around the world. So he said OK if that's the case then we need to just make the slight adjustments so we're going to be putting up the 5 minutes with the faster version of the player probably sometime this evening so definitely it should by the time hopefully that this hits the airwaves that people are watching it, commenting with it being fast . And if you go to my blog and look at the posts, somebody has posted the website where all the media for the show is available in different formats if you want stuff that's already been downloaded. It's all there on a fan site and we encourage you if you want to go look at it there, go ahead.

TT: Now May 14th is the actual first webisode available, is that right?

DK: That's right

TT: Cool. Can you tease the audience a little on that one?

DK: Well, it's the first 50 minute episode and you'll meet Magnus, you'll meet John Druitt, you'll will have your first look at Ashley and you'll meet the target of their pursuit and of course you'll see Magnus's first meeting with Will Zimmerman and why she believes Will Zimmerman is suitable material for her new protege.

TT: Oh cool, very cool.

DK: Yeah, it's cool. You'll get a really good look at the city, you'll get a good look at the world that Will lives in, before he's taken out of it and brought into the world of Sanctuary.

TT: Yeah.

DK: Um it's nice, it's good and one last piece is you'll get to see a wonderful performance by David Hewlett.

TT: Oh great, great, he's tremendous. He's good to be able to pull him and kind of free him from Stargate Atlantis once in a while and do something like this, that's great.

DK: He plays a very different character. He plays like a McKay's crazy, psycho killer brother like it's a definitely a very big departure from the Rodney McKay character.

TT: Great, great. Well that's awesome and we'll be looking forward to seeing them Um you know before we go and I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me. I just have to say as a fan who almost 10 years ago now started watching the original Stargate SG-1 I really have to thank you and all the others some of the people that you've mentioned for really what you've contribute to the show and really brought that show into something really special but I think that people will be watching on DVD or whatever format will exist in the future over and over again so it's really amazing what you've done.

DK: Well I appreciate that and all that experience gives us the confidence and the skill set to try to do something even more groundbreaking and new and we hope that Sanctuary is the next evolution in what fans want and we hope that they will embrace it because if we don't... we don't pretend that we could be as a big or successful as SG-1, though you can hope, but we can satisfy the Stargate fans interest then we'll feel that we've done a good job because the way those fans appreciate good content is what you want to be worthy of.

TT: Absolutely, absolutely. Well the best, I'm really excited about this I think it's great using the new technologies. I would have never thought of in my lifetime something like this would happen but the internet has kind of changed the way I look at technology anyway but it's truly amazing and there's so many of you that are so talented, involved and setting things in Victorian England to kick things off in, that just grabs me. It's such a favourite period of mine so I think it's going to be awesome.

DK: Well you'll love the first shot of the first webisode then.

TT: Oh great, great, looking forward to it. Thanks so much again I really appreciate you taking the time and talking to me about this project, we're very excite about it and wish you the very best with that.

DK: Oh Tony thank you, it's my pleasure and if there's anything else you need from me just don't hesitate to ask

TT: Oh that's awesome thank you and certainly I'd like to talk as some of them air and some of the stuff comes out, that would be awesome. Great way to launch this ship, I think it's going to be a great voyage, I really do.
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by MerRu View Post
                              Weeellll... first one needs a drive that's capable of burning DVD's.

To make sure of that, if one is using Windows, click Start, then Control Panel. In Control Panel, what we're interested in is Device Manager. Depending on your version of Windows, and how one has it configured, one may just look for an icon named System, open that, and click on the Device Manager tab, or one might open Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click either "See basic information about your computer" or click System under "or pick a Control Panel icon."

In either case, when one opens System, it should produce a window named System Properties, and it should have lots of tabs in it. Look for a tab named Hardware, and click that open. In Hardware, open Device Manager.

Device Manager will give a list of all the devices ones computer knows it has. Look for an entry in the list with a name approximating "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and open it. The make / model of ones DVD / CD drive(s) should appear. One wants to use the drive whose name includes a designation like DVDRW (DVD Read/Write). CDRW won't burn a DVD.

If one's not using Windows - I'm no use whatsoever.

Then, with the appropriate drive chosen, one needs software that burns DVD's. I think Windows XP just... comes with that software. Otherwise, there are lots of programs out there that do the job, ranging in price from about $9.99 US to ~ $70 US, depending on what's included in the way of functionality and extras, and a real instruction manual, as well as one on disk is always a plus. (How the dickens do they expect one to look up something off the disk when the program decides to ask questions in the middle of burning a disk, in the drive where the manual needs to go in order for one to figure out the answer to the question????) Pick a format for the disk that one's DVD player likes (the manual for the burning software and/or the DVD player ought to say what the most common format(s) is/are, and what the player can play) and burn the disk in that format. If required by the software/format, finalize the disk in the burning software, and try it in the player.

As for the "Scholarship" I'm buying two subscriptions, one for myself, and, one for my luddite sister, who likes entertainment in the genre of Sanctuary, but considers computers to be utterly beneath her contempt because her little sister is a computer geek. It's the only honorable way of doing this in real time (as opposed to waiting for the 'season' DVD's) that I've figured.
                              Woohoo! I can burn DVDs. Thanks Now if I can figure out what format my DVD player likes. The manuals are somewhere. I need to buy blank DVDs, right?
                              Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu View Post
                                Woohoo! I can burn DVDs. Thanks Now if I can figure out what format my DVD player likes. The manuals are somewhere. I need to buy blank DVDs, right?
                                Depends on whether there are any blank ones on hand, doesn't it??? ::tries to look innocent::

The lack of blank media, curse of the would-be disk burner, and coaster-less persons everywhere... I'd better see if I have any before Monday, too!
                                Nerd-o-rama: Oh, I almost forgot. Sam also had the power of Xenotechnological Deus Ex Machina for a few seasons (can use any alien technology if it suits the script's purpose.) Then they gave it to Jack for some reason.
                                So that's why we've seen so little of Sam and Jack in these past two seasons. They're spending all their free time as the Xenotechnological Deus Ex Machina League fighting evil in Washington DC.

Comment

Working...
                                X