Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cheyenne Mountain Facility was constructed to block (special shielding materials plus a literal mountain of rock) all electromagnetic frequencies which would include cell phones. Radio transmissions only get through because they are physically connected (via shielded cables) to antennas on top of the mountain.

Hand held walkie-talkies inside the facility should work just fine as the signals would just bounce around inside to the other walkie-talkies which are also inside the mountain.

Cell phones should not be able to get through unless special repeaters are installed. And installing those repeaters is major security hole.

The only tech with guaranteed ability to get a signal through would be the faster-than-light communication systems employed by various alien races. For example, at the end of season eight, Jacob/Selmak arrived with a USB drive sized subspace receiver picking up real time signals of Tok'ra tracking devices on Goa'uld ships from across the whole Milky Way galaxy.

The most plausible way to get a civilian to Cheyenne to work at the SGC would be to give them a job. It just has to have a plausible cover story that can be told to friends and extended relatives.

As for minors, you would have to tell their parent(s) or legal guardian. With an adjusted cover story to account for the age of minor. Otherwise people would question why the Air Force (the public face of the SGC) want a minor working for them.
    Last edited by iiradned; 23 September 2018, 12:03 AM.
    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

I think I articulated poorly. I definitely left some things out. My bad.

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
      The Cheyenne Mountain Facility was constructed to block (special shielding materials plus a literal mountain of rock) all electromagnetic frequencies which would include cell phones. Radio transmissions only get through because they are physically connected (via shielded cables) to antennas on top of the mountain.

Hand held walkie-talkies inside the facility should work just fine as the signals would just bounce around inside to the other walkie-talkies which are also inside the mountain.

Cell phones should not be able to get through unless special repeaters are installed. And installing those repeaters is major security hole.

The only tech with guaranteed ability to get a signal through would be the faster-than-light communication systems employed by various alien races. For example, at the end of season eight, Jacob/Selmak arrived with a USB drive sized subspace receiver picking up real time signals of Tok'ra tracking devices on Goa'uld ships from across the whole Milky Way galaxy.

Alright. I need a way for the civilian minor to contact her parents to say she isn't kidnapped. I doubt 'This is the airforce, your kid is fine, but we need to keep here in an undisclosed location for a classified project' isn't going to convince people their kid is safe.

It's already questionable about how much the civilian's parents know about stargates and aliens.

The most plausible way to get a civilian to Cheyenne to work at the SGC would be to give them a job. It just has to have a plausible cover story that can be told to friends and extended relatives.
      That's the cover story they use eventually, when the civilian stays with them long-term.

But I meant the most plausible way to get her (the civilian) there. My bad.

As for minors, you would have to tell their parent(s) or legal guardian. With an adjusted cover story to account for the age of minor. Otherwise people would question why the Air Force (the public face of the SGC) want a minor working for them.
      I think you can work for the army at the age of 17. I think if the USAF decides they don't require boot camp, that can be waived.

But this civilian knows some helpful information and is a willing host for a symbiote who was helpful, but is currently in the heck of a prisoner and SGC wants it out of there.
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

What is the family background of the minor? Are parents involved? Is the minor in an abusive situation? If so, the SGC could help initiate legal emancipation proceedings. As an emancipated minor the only age related restrictions they would face are voting and drinking/buying liquor. In all other situations the law would treat the 17 year old as someone over 18. They can enter into contracts, get married, get a job, live on their own, be in control of their finances, and make all healthcare related decisions.

As for physically getting to the SGC, buy them an airline ticket, get them a seat on a USAF transport (the USAF has several business jets just for moving people around), or beam them from San Fran to Cheyenne.
        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

[QUOTE=iiradned;14637877]What is the family background of the minor? Are parents involved? Is the minor in an abusive situation? If so, the SGC could help initiate legal emancipation proceedings. As an emancipated minor the only age related restrictions they would face are voting and drinking/buying liquor. In all other situations the law would treat the 17 year old as someone over 18. They can enter into contracts, get married, get a job, live on their own, be in control of their finances, and make all healthcare related decisions.[quote]

The minor was raised by two normal human men and her godfather was a host to a symbiote (a nice one, but there was a falling out witht he Tok'Ra) who alsp has ties to the IOA (mostly money). The parents and minor know he's a host to symbiote, and that the USAF does something with a stargate, but tha'ts it.

There is no abusive relationship, unles you count the symbiote might have some enemies (too risky to say 'I'm right here, are you still made about that thing that happened centuries ago?'). Parents and minor don't know details.

Emancipation might be ideal, as she gets involved with SGC because she inherited the money as well as the symbiote (she was supposed to be a the next host, but when she was older). It wouldn't mean no more contact with her parents.

As for physically getting to the SGC, buy them an airline ticket, get them a seat on a USAF transport (the USAF has several business jets just for moving people around), or beam them from San Fran to Cheyenne.
          I didn't know that about business jets. Probably a good way to avoid TSA. Thank you so much! I'm going to assume the plane is more plausible since they aren't on that tight of a deadline.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Potterheads - refresh my memory on something.

In the books, is there reference to a spell missing its target, hitting something else, and ricocheting off?
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Does it have to be in that order?

If memory serves when they tried to cast spells on creatures with magical resistances the spells were described to bounce off.

And one of the Weasley brothers lost an ear because Snape's spell either missed or went through its target.

sigpic
              Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
              https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Not on that particular order, no.

It's just an idea I'm considering.

Muggle character goads evil wizard into losing their temper and casting the killing curse. Muggle character dives forward, under the curse, rolls to his feet in front of the bad guy, and punches him squarely in the balls.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

You know the expression "It's above my/your paygrade"?

I need help. Complete the following sentence - "This is so far above your paygrade that..."

Something about Scrooge McDuck not being able to pay for it? Or Lex Luthor?
                  sigpic

Comment

Being above one's paygrade is a reference to responsibility, not actual money. However, if I had to finish that sentence, I'd say "even King Midas couldn't pay for it." Then again, I'm an old fogey.

Other possibilities--Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Adam Zuckor, Elon Musk.

And what about Tony Stark, if you're going that way?

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Hmm, maybe I ought to change it to "This is so far out of your league, Charlie Brown's taken his baseball and gone home."
                      sigpic

Comment

After much research, I have finally secured my 17-year-old in a position of power in my Stargate Atlantis fic. Now my question is: who makes requests for new entertainment on Atlantis? I'm pretty sure those RC cars broke and not everyone can be into football.

Also, do they use the Daedalus for such things or the Stargate (I'm pretty sure entertainment would be shipped in with supplies that are far more essential).
                        Last edited by WraithRichard; 07 December 2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Lots of water around Atlantis. How about swimming, or sailing?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                            Lots of water around Atlantis. How about swimming, or sailing?
                            I can just see a 'gone fishing' sign on John's office (although fanfiction has introduced tropes where he either doens't have one or never found it).

Comment

Hmm, nah, Shepard doesn't strike me as the office "type". More likely he'd leave a note on Dr. Weir's/Col. Carter's desk in her office.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                                Hmm, nah, Shepard doesn't strike me as the office "type". More likely he'd leave a note on Dr. Weir's/Col. Carter's desk in her office.
                                More likely.

I think I'll have my OC smuggle over some Star Trek DVDs and a DVD player.

Comment

Working...
                                X