The Road Not Taken rip-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    Again I disagree. I think they do a great job with both male and female characters.
    I'm sure that you're only talking about SG-1 because Teyla and Elizabeth only get useful lines once in every blue moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor View Post
      Does anyone else think that the plot for this episode is almost exactly like 'There But For The Grace Of God'? Just a Carter one instead of Daniel. I mean it sounds great and I cant wait for it next week but still
      Maybe it's just me, but I actually enjoy the AU episodes. I know some fans detest them, but I enjoy seeing episodes of what might be or what could have been. While it does sound a bit similiar, it has the potential to still be entertaining. Well unless of course you dislike Amanda/Sam, then I suppose you'll just have to find something else to do with your time, but thankfully I don't have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
        you mean Marty Daniel Stu and his Amazing Powers(tm)? No, they've written all the of characters equal amounts of equal crap at times.
        Daniel has always been amazing, hasn't he!

The giving of amazing powers the way they did to Jack and Daniel through Ancient tech is a bit silly, but then no more so than Sam and her amazing lap top, or her medical ability, performing autopsies no less! Then again she is an expert in nano technology, worm-hole physics, robotics, genetics, astrophysics, a pilot, a crack shot, a motorcycle enthusiast, a national treasure, a former Tok'ra host etc...etc...and she still finds time to fall in love and get engaged to Pete! All this and she has almost any man/ alien she comes in contact with falling for her.

What a character! What a load of old crock!!

On top of all that in this episode she saves another world and they don't want her to leave. When Daniel slipped through to an alt universe he couldn't save it, even if he is amazing.
        sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
          On top of all that in this episode she saves another world and they don't want her to leave. When Daniel slipped through to an alt universe he couldn't save it, even if he is amazing.
          Maybe he just sucks? *shrugs*

Comment

Maybe he just sucks? *shrugs*
            Well you would probably have to ask Jack that one!!!!
            sigpic

Comment

The problem with Sam is that she's perfect. She never does any mistakes. When she does make one, it's either a minor one or the show doesn't address is much (like the time with RepliCarter. She probably just doomed the entire universe and Jack kept telling her it wasn't her fault. Yes it was!).

They keep treating her like the perfect human being, she is never wrong. Like in "48 Hours". She'd already considered Rodney's ideas and written them off as too complicated. Rodney insisted on trying them out and failed miserably (and people still blame him for this).

Yet, whenever Sam tries any of her hair-brained schemes, they always work.

And now she's thrown into an alternate universe where the world's being invaded by the Ori and she somehow manages to save it from the Ori?!

A next year
              Spoiler:
              she's arriving on Atlantis in her own ship and who knows what kind of new storylines her arrival will bring.

She's not a person anymore, she's this perfect entity who's never wrong and who never does anything wrong. And when she is wrong or does something wrong, nobody cares.

At least Rodney, brilliant as he is, makes mistakes. Sometimes colossal ones. And every time he makes one, people notice and people point out and people admonish him for it. He consequences of "Dorona" lasted for quite some time.

With Sam, people kept telling her RepliCarter wasn't her and for her not to take it personally when she'd personally doomed the entire Universe by giving RepliCarter the cipher (that they lucked out and later found the Dakara device was just sheer dumb luck).

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                The problem with Sam is that she's perfect. She never does any mistakes. When she does make one, it's either a minor one or the show doesn't address is much (like the time with RepliCarter. She probably just doomed the entire universe and Jack kept telling her it wasn't her fault. Yes it was!).

They keep treating her like the perfect human being, she is never wrong. Like in "48 Hours". She'd already considered Rodney's ideas and written them off as too complicated. Rodney insisted on trying them out and failed miserably (and people still blame him for this).

Yet, whenever Sam tries any of her hair-brained schemes, they always work.

And now she's thrown into an alternate universe where the world's being invaded by the Ori and she somehow manages to save it from the Ori?!

A next year
                Spoiler:
                she's arriving on Atlantis in her own ship and who knows what kind of new storylines her arrival will bring.

She's not a person anymore, she's this perfect entity who's never wrong and who never does anything wrong. And when she is wrong or does something wrong, nobody cares.

At least Rodney, brilliant as he is, makes mistakes. Sometimes colossal ones. And every time he makes one, people notice and people point out and people admonish him for it. He consequences of "Dorona" lasted for quite some time.

With Sam, people kept telling her RepliCarter wasn't her and for her not to take it personally when she'd personally doomed the entire Universe by giving RepliCarter the cipher (that they lucked out and later found the Dakara device was just sheer dumb luck).
                Yes, you have hit the nail on the head, Carter is just that, far too perfect. She is no longer a character people can take seriously. She has become a caricature.
                sigpic

Comment

Well you would probably have to ask Jack that one!!!!
                  That how he earns his place on the team?

Comment

That how he earns his place on the team?
                    Well it worked for Sam.

And now we have really reached the gutter, lets just leave it at I hate Sam you hate Daniel shall we?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                      The problem with Sam is that she's perfect. She never does any mistakes.
                      I can think of any number of mistakes. Jonas Hansen and Pete for two. 'Red Sky' for another. Gemini for a fourth.

They keep treating her like the perfect human being, she is never wrong
                      Would that be like how they treat Daniel as the 'Moral Center', and never have anyone call him on his arrogance? Or how about someone reaming Daniel a new one for giving away the Milky Way's presence to the Ori? Or like how they never show Jack's sarcastic, flippant disregard for authority/diplomacy/tact as being wrong? Hell, even in the episodes that are supposedly about Jack and Daniel's differences of opinion, one of them is never wrong - they are always both right.

The episode hasn't even aired yet. Your drawing your conclusion from speculation. For all we know, that universe has already built an Anti-Ori Device and all she has to do is push the button.

A next year
                      Spoiler:
                      Again we can speculate all day long on that, but we can't and won't be able to prove anything either way.

And when she is wrong or does something wrong, nobody cares.
                      Well if nobody cares perhaps that's their problem, not hers. I quite clearly remember Sam showing strong doubts after the RepliCarter incident for example.

There was a lot more at stake in Gemini than Trinity. Either the SGC works with RepliCarter to come up with a way to stop the replicators or they don't help her and have the replicators overrun them. Gemini was alot like Allies in that regard - Atlantis didn't have much choice but to work with the Wraith that showed up under pretence of alliance.

In Trinity, it was either get the power device working and benefit from it, doing nothing and not losing/gaining anything or fail in getting working and lose the power device, the planet and the star system for good. Considering the Ancients themselves couldn't get it to work the prudent option would be to leave it the hell alone.

At any rate it exposed flaws in the both the characters. McKay in his ego to assume that he would succeed where the Ancients couldn't and his arrogance in not listening to the scientific misgivings from Zelenka. Sam in her belief that she knew herself when RepliCarter proved she didn't and her refusal to think that she would be capable of doing anything like what RepliCarter ended up doing.

Comment

Well it worked for Sam.
                        And now we have really reached the gutter, lets just leave it at I hate Sam you hate Daniel shall we?
                        Obviously because the only way for a woman to get ahead is to sleep with their boss. And you're missing the point if you think I hate Daniel.

Comment

Obviously because the only way for a woman to get ahead is to sleep with their boss. And you're missing the point if you think I hate Daniel.
                          So who do you hate ?
                          My money's on Jack

Comment

Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
                            So who do you hate ?
                            My money's on Jack
                            Siler. Something about him is just not right...

Comment

Agent Dark: (Because your post is a huge broken quote, I won't even try to quote it) Daniel's been reamed. Did you not watch "The Other Side"? Or, oh, "Scorched Earth"? Daniel's treated badly and admonished all the time for his "Everything can be fixed"-attitude.

Sam never is. She just gets a "It's not really your fault". And Daniel has never actively doomed the universe. Sam has!

All Daniel did to give away our existence to the Ori was accidentally activate a device he found in Merlin's cave. It's like blaming someone for giving someone a poisoned burrito when someone else poisoned it. Once Daniel's consciousness entered the other side, the Ori knew all about him (and what he knew about the Milky Way and probably Atlantis, too).

And I personally don't feel that Daniel's arrogant. He's a lot of things, but I'd say he's one of the least bit arrogant characters of the original cast (we don't really know enough about Vala and Mitchell yet to tell). Please explain to me how he's arrogant.

And I doubt "She helps them" means "She pushes a button". She's somehow intrumental to their salvation as:
                              1) It'd be stupid if she appeared in the other universe and all she does is some stuff anyone else could've done
                              2) It's Sam. Of course she's going to be instrumental!

Yes, Sam cares when she does a mistake. But does the rest of the world (as in in SGverse) do?! Nobody reprimanded or told her "Bad Sam!" for dooming the universe! No one! Jack even told her that it wasn't her fault, yaddi yaddi yadda!

She just doomed your entire friggin' universe! Time to lay down the blame!

Your last paragraph is the only (IMO) valid point.

However, they had a choice at the end of the episode. They could kill RepliCarter or they could allow her to go with them. And against Jack's orders, Sam let her live when Teal'c had the disrupter poised at her. That moment of hesitation almost cost us the entire universe. Because Sam thought her personality could override the nature of the Replicators themselves.

In "Trinity", all Rodney ever did was endanger his own life. At the beginning of the episode, when that first scientist died, they didn't really know that the Ancients had utterly failed yet, so that wasn't his fault (for one thing, Radek, too, believed they could fix it). Then, when he wanted to have another go at it, John volunteered to go with him. So Rodney didn't really ask for anyone else to risk their lives. Yes, he was arrogant, yes he failed, but he wasn't endangering anyone and the only thing they risked (and lost) was an abandoned and to the naked eye uninhabitable solar system. Wow, what a loss.

And what happened? He was shunned by his best friend and was given disapproving looks. No doubt did a lot of people look down at him from it. In short, people blamed him for it and gave him crap for it.

Sure, he'd just failed. The point is that he didn't lose anything. He made a mistake and people rightfully gave him crap for it.

Sam made a colossal mistake. Sure, it wasn't all hers. But her bad decision was what allowed RepliCarter to escape and almost destroy life as we knew it. And what did she get? "It's not your fault. She's not you. Don't cry."

What's worse? Me blocking up an abandoned warehouse because I thought I could disarm a bomb on my own due to my sheer brilliance even though bomb experts had failed or you killing 1 million people due to a bad decision (a comparable feat)(note that I'm not mocking you in any way, we can switch roles if you want to)?

That's the problem here. Everyone else is given crap for bad mistakes, bad attitudes, bad everything. Sam gets comforting words for the one and so far only major mistake she's ever done in 10 years.

She instinctively apparantely knows which hair-brained schemes to do and which not to to avoid utter failure. All of her failures only give minor injuries and/or losses. Her failures are never 100% her own fault. And when she does make colossal mistakes, nobody blames her one bit.

Heck, her knock-off of Merlin's device in "Line In The Sand" failed and exposed the village, thus allowing the Ori soldiers to, among other things, kill a whole bunch of innocent villagers. But we can't blame her for that! Because she was forced to do a premature test before the device was ready. While others make mistakes all the time that cost lives, she only makes them when it's not really her fault!

She's the perfect deity of Stargateverse!
                              Last edited by FallenAngelII; 20 January 2007, 04:36 AM.

Comment

I suggest you go back and read your post, you are the one who suggested that Daniel got his place on the team by sleeping with his boss.

I think there are many ways for a woman to get ahead without having to resort to sleeping with her boss, maybe not a woman like Carter, or at least the woman the writers have turned her into these past years.

I think that your all out love for the character of Sam Carter has blinded you to all of her many, many, many flaws. There are an awful lot of people in the Stargate fandom who don't love Carter and for whom the prospect of a Sam heavy episode is a real turn-off in every sense of the term.

I am glad to hear that you don't hate Daniel, doesn't change the fact that I still hate Carter but it is good to know that you have some amount of good taste!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X