Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the most rational thing to do is a spinoff series. I like ideal focusing on what we have been up to, the galaxy as we have now made it (multiple 'alpha sites and/or apollo class ships and their adventures) of course there would need to be new adversaries (the continuous rise of the Lucian alliance, or our ships going to help Atlantis with the Vanir) all these scenarios can tie in resolutions to unresolved series and also begin a whole new series, without having to rely on being able to cast previous cast members. Any member wanting reprising roles can easily be written into this all the while expanding the SG universe as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowdrake View Post
      step one. declare sgu noncannon.
      I do like that, I did not like SGU either, I watched it for a few episodes to give it a chance but...no

I am also however not for bringing the old shows back with new episodes. I think a rerun on TV for them would do just fine.
      If new Stargate on TV then a whole new Stargate Series but I was disappointed by SGU, so I do honestly not know if I would atch that really. Would for me depend on what it is about and such

Comment

So, a new series starts with Earth as the most powerful planet in the galaxy. A fleet of near unbeatable ships. Access to the combined knowledge of the Asgard and the Ancients. Atlantis is on Earth, which is protected by the drone weapons in Antarctica and Atlantis (the Puddle Jumpers never ran out so there must be an automated facility in Atlantis )

...Where would this new series go? The Ori, practically gods, were defeated in less than two seasons. Who could be a threat to such a powerful planet?

What would make seeing such a powerful planet effortlessly crush anyone who opposes them interesting?

And remember this hypothetical show is starting several years after the last one ended. Earth has had time to explore the alien libraries and develop more technology since the last time we saw them.

They're not the scrappy underdogs they were at the beginning of SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post

That could be a chance but also a problem because some of the conflicts just as the awakening of the Wraith was caused by them being yet unexperienced. However it is human to be curious, even if one might have to be a bit less cautious than would be wise.
          So, I guess even if they gained experoence there would be reasons some unexpected things could happen

Comment

They have also gained several thousand years worth of technological advancement. With two Deux ex Machina machines full of several millennia worth of knowledge that can be used for last minute solutions to any problem they might face.

SGU was a way to distance the series from the easy fixes.

Carrying on with a new series set on Earth brings all the advancements made during SG-1 back into play. Even if they discovered a new address to a new galaxy, they're not going to make the same mistake they made with Atlantis by sending people through unprepared. There's no reason to now. They have ships that can reach distant galaxies, access to more advanced power sources so not being able to dial home isn't a problem any more. They could take Ancient shield generators and Asgard weapons. No matter what they run into, they will always have the upper hand. Or be able to make a quick getaway.

Earth is too powerful now.

Stargate was all about humans in our time, with our level of technology facing all the problems that are usually reserved for science fiction shows set in the distant future. It has moved so far from that original concept that they could easily say it's set in the year 3017, and it would be hard to argue against it when the technology makes Star Trek look quaint and antiquated.
            Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 13 January 2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowdrake View Post
              step one. declare sgu noncannon.
              While I didn't like SGU, it was boring and forgettable, not franchise breaking. If SGA or SG1 get a continuation series or a new series comes out, the canonacity of SGU probably won't affect it and the people who did like SGU can still be happy about it being canon.

sigpic
              Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
              https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Where would this new series go? The Ori, practically gods, were defeated in less than two seasons. Who could be a threat to such a powerful planet?

What would make seeing such a powerful planet effortlessly crush anyone who opposes them interesting?

And remember this hypothetical show is starting several years after the last one ended. Earth has had time to explore the alien libraries and develop more technology since the last time we saw them.

This is the biggest reason I think a new series should do the whole "in a new far away galaxy" thing. It'll remove a lot of the OP Earth issue.

That being said, I think there are still plenty of ways to work around Earth's power in a plot. I liked SGU's idea of the lack of a main enemy. Maybe the new "bad guys" aren't there to hurt the Tau'ri but more of "we want something and you are in our way". Maybe have that actively fighting and beating the baddies will have bad repercussions. Maybe have the villain's history be similar to Earth, saying they spent a long time gathering alien technology to protect their planet including Ancient and Asgard tech. Maybe create a moral grey in their villains, a reason to second guess ousting them. Maybe Earth's former allies have become nervous about Earth's new power and how they'll use it and have begun implementing failsafes in case Earth goes bad (something Earth probably won't take lightly if discovered). Maybe the new villains could be underdogs themselves. Scifi stories always show underdog good guys going against overpowered bad guys. Let's flip the tables.

That being said, two of Earth's victories (the replicators and ori) were due to the press-here-to-win buttons. They didn't have to get methodically defeated like the Goa'uld and Wraith so there are still ways to make enemies strong against Earth.

sigpic

Comment

SGU already did that "in a galaxy far far away.."

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                    This is the biggest reason I think a new series should do the whole "in a new far away galaxy" thing. It'll remove a lot of the OP Earth issue.
                    That's what SGU was, apart from the ships used to get to Icarus at the beginning, most of the ridiculously overpowered Earth stuff was ignored.

That being said, I think there are still plenty of ways to work around Earth's power in a plot. I liked SGU's idea of the lack of a main enemy. Maybe the new "bad guys" aren't there to hurt the Tau'ri but more of "we want something and you are in our way".
                    The Ori? We just want to bring "peace and enlightenment to the galaxy" Why are you fighting us? If they're explorers looking for a way to get home, or scientists looking to discover a cure or something, wouldn't that make Earth the bad guys for stopping them?

Maybe have that actively fighting and beating the baddies will have bad repercussions.
                    A race Earth depends on for something? Like the Jaffa turning against the Goa'uld?

Maybe have the villain's history be similar to Earth, saying they spent a long time gathering alien technology to protect their planet including Ancient and Asgard tech. Maybe create a moral grey in their villains, a reason to second guess ousting them.
                    That's the Goa'uld/Tok'ra.

Maybe Earth's former allies have become nervous about Earth's new power and how they'll use it and have begun implementing failsafes in case Earth goes bad (something Earth probably won't take lightly if discovered).
                    Earth is the evil empire in this story.

Maybe the new villains could be underdogs themselves. Scifi stories always show underdog good guys going against overpowered bad guys. Let's flip the tables.
                    Heroes "punch up" they fight enemies stronger than themselves. Earth is the evil empire crushing the resistance forces in this story.

That being said, two of Earth's victories (the replicators and ori) were due to the press-here-to-win buttons. They didn't have to get methodically defeated like the Goa'uld and Wraith so there are still ways to make enemies strong against Earth.
                    Only by making them even more powerful than Earth, and the Ori were created to fill this role. Earth has become so powerful that the only thing the writers could come up with to even remotely challenge them was a race of gods.

And then even they were defeated with minimal effort and a field trip to their home galaxy.

Comment

That's what SGU was, apart from the ships used to get to Icarus at the beginning, most of the ridiculously overpowered Earth stuff was ignored.
                      Yes, it was, and that is one of the only things I -personally- found redeeming in SGU. I get the "starting with broken toys" as a concept for team building and creating viewer/character rapport, I just found the way they executed it to be very poor.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

SGA and SGU both did this. It's not a new concept but so far it's the best idea for creating a new setting while dealing with the OP Earth issue.

The Ori? We just want to bring "peace and enlightenment to the galaxy" Why are you fighting us? If they're explorers looking for a way to get home, or scientists looking to discover a cure or something, wouldn't that make Earth the bad guys for stopping them?
                        No. That's may have been what the followers believed but they still followed the "let's take over the galaxy because we're evil" thing. And your ideas about explorers trying to find a way home is a good concept. Reason for fighting? Maybe they causing death in their quest. Maybe they are inadvertently spreading diseases while they're looking. The Enkaran episode could also be good but have it on a larger scale and not be solved by saying "I found your home planet"

A race Earth depends on for something? Like the Jaffa turning against the Goa'uld?
                        Could've been a good one but never fully utilized it. They rarely ever brought up "what happens to the jaffa when we kill the Goa'uld?". And later on they find a solution for it. The Wraith could've also been a good one but they had the generic evil take over the galaxy mentality and no one seems to have an issue with the notion of the wraith going extinct. But I was thinking more along the lines of maybe Race A are a-holes but they protect people from something and if you oust them you will have to either pick up the slack or leave the people to die.

That's the Goa'uld/Tok'ra.
                        No, not like them. Sure they may have stolen stuff but they never got that advanced. Earth was progressing at a faster rate. I'm thinking of a group whose story is identical to that of Earth and has advanced like that as a result. A mirrored version of Earth and what they've been through.

Earth is the evil empire in this story.
                        No. I was thinking something more along the lines of the the Justice League Doom movie (assuming you watched it) or the Cadmus plotline in the early Justice League series. It's been done for superhero plots but I don't think it's ever been done for scifi plots.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2U5BHxBRMI

Heroes "punch up" they fight enemies stronger than themselves. Earth is the evil empire crushing the resistance forces in this story.
                        No. Less of a resistance and more of a terrorist group. A group that can't go pound for pound against Earth so they use subversive tactics instead.

Only by making them even more powerful than Earth, and the Ori were created to fill this role. Earth has become so powerful that the only thing the writers could come up with to even remotely challenge them was a race of gods.

And then even they were defeated with minimal effort and a field trip to their home galaxy.
                        The Ori was done for plot purposes, that the Ancients that had been revered for half the series are now the bad guys. But they need motive so they turned it into a splinter faction of the Ancients with evil intent. And the Ori had a curbstomp in their entire plot span. And their defeat was only through the Easy-button Ascended-killing device and ark of truth. So downgrade the enemy just a bit so that it's not a complete curbstomp and remove the Easy-button.

sigpic

Comment

As much as I love the cast of SG-1 I feel like the series went to a point of no return in the later seasons. I feel like the writers and creators just ran into too many choices where they made the wrong turn - starting with the introduction of ascension. I personally would love it if we could go back in time and reboot SG-1 with the entire original cast as well as Claudia Black and maybe more David Hewlett and Corin Nemec - and others. Avoid the introduction of ascension and focus on the infinite stories they didn't tell that could be told with a device like the Gate.

So that likely isn't going to happen. The best I feel I could hope for is a series reboot with the original cast, possibly as the same characters, but not all of them as the travelers. (I would settle for a continuation that just kind of ignores ascension and the Ori and all that.)

As much as I LOVED characters and things that happened on SGA I feel like they started off on the wrong foot with the Wraith - even the name seems bad. Don't get me wrong, I loved the story behind the Wraith, I just didn't love the Vampire vibe. As matter of fact you know my viewing palate has changed over the years since SGA ended and I think it is time for me to go back and rewatch Atlantis. I might enjoy it a lot more.

And I have always felt that SGU was a completely misguided effort from the get go. It was just too gimmick driven. Great cast, poor plot. I take that back. The plot would have been great if they hadn't used gimmicks like the stones to bring in guest stars; or the failing ship they have to learn about like SGA; and if they hadn't tried to make the show so obviously like the new BSG, but we've heard all that before.

Honestly I would love to see them wrap up SGA and SGU then continue SG-1, but I think it could be an even better show if they could start everything over again. The shame of it is that I feel 75% of what made SG-1 so great was that Top 5 - RDA, Tapping, Shanks, Judge, and Davis. Having said that I also feel that the foundation of the plot of SG-1 is strong enough that you could find a good cast and make a great show from what is there. Yes the relationships of those actors was great, but you could have good actors and different relationships in the SG-1 Universe and get another a great show. Especially now that they would have so much more freedom to do stuff they were possibly afraid of doing or restricted from doing back then. I mean I think we all know that SG-1 is great, but there are weaknesses that I think could be attributed to ways of thinking about making a television show back then that may not serve as obstacles now. I mean now the sky is just about the limit.

Comment

I do not know if I am qualified to comment, but I took the poll & it asked me to comment on why I voted the way I did.. So here goes.

I voted for the return of SG1, that & nothing more. Because I did not watch, or have any interest in watching, SGA or SGU.

I hate spin-offs, shows started up to cash in on the success of an already established show that is doing well. (Star Trek springs to mind with Deep Space 9 & Babylon).
                            I can accept that the stars will age & eventually retire/die, & their understudies will be promoted and take over the reins (Hammond retired & O'Neill took over) and the series continues.

Now, in Children of The Gods the Goa'uld had a temple on Abidos that had more planet addresses on the walls than the SGC could check out in 9 years, so a return to going off world to check out more of the addresss, & having more adventures with strange races would work.
                            (Why the Goa'uld chose Abidos to keep track of all the gates & not some other planet is not made clear, and nobody came back from another planet & said they had found a similar temple.)

Anyway, resurecting Stargate SG1 as a TV series would be my wish. Bring back O'Neill & Carter as high ranking, none combatant advisory personal from time to time. Tealk could have retired to Tulak & be advisor to the Jaffa & pop in to SGC as liason between Earth & Jaffa, also infrequently. (Much like Jacob Carter & the Tokra) But new, younger actors be in charge of SG teams going off world & having adventures.
                            Maybe this time focus on more than one team's adventures... This week SG1, next week SG7, then SG3 and so on. (Children of the Gods had SG1 & SG3 on Abidos together, so some episodes could call on multiple teams)
                            Who knows, one team might stay on Earth & workout the connection betweem the Bermuda Triangle & the Ancients (We got a connection for King Arthur & Merlin)

OK, maybe I am not qualified to comment, so I will stop now.
                            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

@Who Knows, I was once like you, I liked sg1 so much I couldn't imagine any spinoffs. I didn't watch Atlantis for 3 years after it started. However it carries all the same strengths sg1 had and is as good as sg1 is if you can get passed a few small weird things (ie, the wraith in general). If you like sg1 to any strong degree, I highly recommend watching atlantis. You can forget universe tho as it takes a whole new direction.

Comment

Hello everyone. Here is new stargate petition started on change.org, https://www.change.org/p/mgm-studios...gate-tv-series. I recommend everyone to sign petitions that will bring back and continue stargate SG-1, SGA, SGU and a new continuation series. The fan base is growing. We need to show MGM and others that this is what we want.

Comment

Working...
                                X