Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the energy source for near-ascended psionic powers?

When a near-ascended being (such as a pre-ascended or de-ascended being, or an enhanced being such as a Prior) uses psionic powers such as telekinesis, what is the source of the energy?

Is it somehow generated within the being's biological body or is it some external ambient energy (like the Force in Star Wars) that the being taps into and controls?

Is the energy the same kind of energy that constitutes ascended beings or is it a lower form of energy from a lower plane of existence?

AAs.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Not really sure. I could make some theories.

Cassandra generated some sort of electromagnetic field that allowed her to manipulate certain objects. Lets work with this for now.

A Prior throws a SG-team member back. That SG team member has gear made out of steel, so a EM field could push those back. But what about the person or the areas ware we see just a human moved around, like when the Prior grabs Landry and infects him with that plague. All humans contain about 75% water, water is a polar molecule. Perhaps a Prior can do what Kyle XY was capable of doing, change the polarity of the water molecules in his environment, resulting in being able to throw people around.

However they are shown performing all kinds of feats that the ability to manipulate EM fields and polarity would not explain, so I would think that ether-the Priors are tapping some sort of unknown exotic energy field or their physiology is advanced enough to generate the required psionic energy themselves, which is draining as has been shown in the tv show multiple times. That puts us back a square one. We just do not know.
      sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

I think we're talking at least 9 volts
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran Prior View Post
          When a near-ascended being (such as a pre-ascended or de-ascended being, or an enhanced being such as a Prior) uses psionic powers such as telekinesis, what is the source of the energy?

Is it somehow generated within the being's biological body or is it some external ambient energy (like the Force in Star Wars) that the being taps into and controls?

Is the energy the same kind of energy that constitutes ascended beings or is it a lower form of energy from a lower plane of existence?
          Ascended beings operate on a level of being pure energy. For a real life comparison, I suppose you could say they are pure quantum energy beings. I figured they'd manipulate subatomic particles with their minds, but if that's the case, do they actually dial a gate or do they just create the wormhole with their ability to where they want to go but using the gate for the necessary conduit?

They said the Ascended beings are energy waves, that's how Merlin's device could destroy them. And they could block a Prior's powers with a certain frequency wave, so maybe it is the manipulation of EM fields
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran Prior View Post
            Super high-calorie diet. Eggs and meat in the morning, mountains of pasta, platters of potatoes. It never ends. Really quite exhausting.

Comment

My guess has always been that, while they control their body's natural actions to a much greater extent as to effectively make themselves some kind 'omni-penknife', they aren't actually manipulating the world but using a 'gut instinct' and some element of 'the butterfly effect' in order to make the world around them react as they wish.

I don't have any proof, and there may be evidence I am wrong, but that has always just 'sat' best with me.
              Last edited by Twilord; 12 August 2012, 05:10 PM.
              With Superb-Caliber-Frag-Statistics-Explosions-Are-Delicious!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twilord View Post
                My guess has always been that, while they control their body's natural actions to a much greater extent as to effectively make themselves some kind 'omni-penknife', they aren't actually manipulating the world but using a 'gut instinct' and some element of 'the butterfly effect' in order to make the world around them react as they wish.
                I was joking about mountains of food, of course, but the reason for my fun is that telekinesis is impossible in our universe (or multi-verse). There could be a different universe, with different natural laws, wherein telekinesis exists, but not ours. There's no sound theory for how telekinesis could be possible in our universe. Same goes for the "omni-penknife" idea.

Telekinesis, telepathy, etc., are properly understood as fantasy rather than science fiction. I've got no problem suspending my disbelief and enjoying them, but seeking plausible explanations for how they work is an exercise in futility.

Comment

Magnets. Jack proved as much in Rite of Passage
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    AAs.
                    lol
                    They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

If you want an explaination for how it fits into Sci-Fi its simple by my definition of what Sci-Fi is:

"Sci-Fi is when, with however much respect towards the laws of physics it is capable of, the basic concept of a story delves into a what if scenario."

In the case of all Stargate continuities the basic question is "what if Ancient Astronaut Theory is true". Almost all of what Stargate uses for its story telling are elements found in Ancient Astronaut Theory, even the most absurd ones.

The whole 'what if' thing I use is how I segregate Sci-Fi from Space Fantasy.

Stargate: What if Ancient Astronaut Theory was true and came back to haunt us.
                      Star Trek: What if we developed far enough to form an instellar version of the UN with alien allies.
                      Farscape: What if a lone modern human found himself flung into complex intergalactic community.

Other things like Star Wars and Doctor Who that I can't pin down like that I call space fantasy.
                      With Superb-Caliber-Frag-Statistics-Explosions-Are-Delicious!!

Comment

If you want an explaination for how it fits into Sci-Fi its simple by my definition of what Sci-Fi is:

"Sci-Fi is when, with however much respect towards the laws of physics it is capable of, the basic concept of a story delves into a what if scenario."

In the case of all Stargate continuities the basic question is "what if Ancient Astronaut Theory is true". Almost all of what Stargate uses for its story telling are elements found in Ancient Astronaut Theory, even the most absurd ones.

The whole 'what if' thing I use is how I segregate Sci-Fi from Space Fantasy.

Stargate: What if Ancient Astronaut Theory was true and came back to haunt us.
                        Star Trek: What if we developed far enough to form an instellar version of the UN with alien allies.
                        Farscape: What if a lone modern human found himself flung into complex intergalactic community.

Other things like Star Wars and Doctor Who that I can't pin down like that I call space fantasy.
                        Mmm, everyone's got their definition. Here's mine for the devices (powers, technologies, etc.) within the story:

If the story is supposed to be in our universe, then
                        • a science fiction device is anything that isn't precluded, in principle, by the laws of physics.
                        • a fantasy device: natural laws of the universe don't apply: magic, telekinesis, clairivoyance, ghosts...

We're talking here about individual building blocks of a story, not the genre label of the story itself. (The OP asked about "psionic" powers like telekinesis.) A sci-fi series like SG-1 continues to be science-fiction when it indulges in fantasy devices like "psionic" powers. Still, I recognize them as the fantastical elements that they are.

Comment

That's an interesting perspective, so with Doctor Who being considered a space fantasy, that effectively puts Stargate back at the top of the list as the world's longest running science fiction series (not just America's). The overall consensus, though, seems to be that more people consider DW a sci-fi than a space fantasy.
                          Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
                          Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
                          What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
                          An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
                          When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
                          Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                            Mmm, everyone's got their definition. Here's mine for the devices (powers, technologies, etc.) within the story:

If the story is supposed to be in our universe, then
                            • a science fiction device is anything that isn't precluded, in principle, by the laws of physics.
                            • a fantasy device: natural laws of the universe don't apply: magic, telekinesis, clairivoyance, ghosts...

We're talking here about individual building blocks of a story, not the genre label of the story itself. (The OP asked about "psionic" powers like telekinesis.) A sci-fi series like SG-1 continues to be science-fiction when it indulges in fantasy devices like "psionic" powers. Still, I recognize them as the fantastical elements that they are.
                            Did you know

"magic" has its own "laws" as well?
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. D. View Post
                              That's an interesting perspective, so with Doctor Who being considered a space fantasy, that effectively puts Stargate back at the top of the list as the world's longest running science fiction series (not just America's). The overall consensus, though, seems to be that more people consider DW a sci-fi than a space fantasy.
                              SG-1's episode count was surpassed by Smallville in its final season.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X