No announcement yet.

Within the Serpent's Grasp (121)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished season one for the first time! Good finale. Some good episodes. But overall, a mediocre first season.
    sigpic
    Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

I could not disagree with you more about this first season: almost every episode was terrific. The only one I hated was the one with all the clips from previous shows.

This story itself was a good build-up for the finale coming and it had a good cliffhanger. However, I did not enjoy it as much as many other self-contained stories from the first season. Darkly lit corridors on spaceships do not provide much in the way of wondrous alien atmosphere.

I myself like the stories which more resemble Alice in Wonderland. On the other I think was the best way to handle a story about the invasion of earth: huge flying pyramids and a desparate commando mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallifer View Post
        I could not disagree with you more about this first season: almost every episode was terrific. The only one I hated was the one with all the clips from previous shows.

This story itself was a good build-up for the finale coming and it had a good cliffhanger. However, I did not enjoy it as much as many other self-contained stories from the first season. Darkly lit corridors on spaceships do not provide much in the way of wondrous alien atmosphere.

I myself like the stories which more resemble Alice in Wonderland. On the other I think was the best way to handle a story about the invasion of earth: huge flying pyramids and a desparate commando mission.
        I think the darkly lit ships was perfect for this episode. Not only did it reflect the nature of the Goa'uld, but it also gave us a visual representation of the situation that SG1 was in - They were all alone on a ship they knew nothing about, with no way to get home or get help if they needed it, trying to stop an invasion that no one in the SGC seemed to believe would happen.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
        "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
        a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Epsiodes like this do not require much talking as they're simply outstanding but also don't raise hundreds of question like "The Torment of Tantalus" for example. A desperate mission against the orders to shut down the gate, sudden hyper-launch trapping them there. New technology like zat or upgraded Ha'tak which was a big surprise even for Teal'C. Klorel appears on the stage, though when I was watching the season for the first time, I completely forgot the movie and knew not already who was Skaara. (And SG-1 began from "The First Commandment" to me). Perfect mix of drama and humour in the episode. And I can imagine what it was like to wait for half of a year for the second season, if it was awful to wait till tomorrow for me when it first aired!

10/10.
          Last edited by Vagabond Serpent; 20 October 2010, 03:58 AM.
          Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed the parts of the episode where SG-1 was on the Go'uld ship, and Teal'c was explaining about communication devices and weapons to the rest of the team. This was a great show.
            "I choose freedom." Teal'c Threshold
            "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important." Teal'c Stronghold

Comment

nope, it's definitely "medical attack" / "surgical attack"

Comment

Ahh... the infamous bull****. Is this line changed to something else on syfy or is it completely edited out?

Comment

Originally posted by Starbreaker View Post
                  Ahh... the infamous bull****. Is this line changed to something else on syfy or is it completely edited out?
                  Which is a shame because it's added a certain awesomeness to the scene.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                  "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                  a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

9/10
                    Excellent finale and probably my second or 3rd favorite episode of the season.

The one major annoyance is simply the fact that there was no reason to shoot Skaara to kill. I've just watched all of the S1 episodes in three days and there have been multiple instances where people seem to think they have to shoot to kill. All he needed to do was shoot Skaara in the leg, but no he goes and shoots two shots to the chest.

I was also wondering why they didn't destroy that device skaara places on his hands when he was captured earlier and of course it came back to haunt them. Although in that case he probably had more around.
                    Last edited by FrodoFraggins; 19 March 2011, 03:38 AM.
                    Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
                      9/10
                      Excellent finale and probably my second or 3rd favorite episode of the season.

The one major annoyance is simply the fact that there was no reason to shoot Skaara to kill. I've just watched all of the S1 episodes in three days and there have been multiple instances where people seem to think they have to shoot to kill. All he needed to do was shoot Skaara in the leg, but no he goes and shoots two shots to the chest.

I was also wondering why they didn't destroy that device skaara places on his hands when he was captured earlier and of course it came back to haunt them. Although in that case he probably had more around.
                      I think some things in tv shows are simply for dramatic effect or to carry the storyline on. Being a huge Skarra/Klorel fan I was sad to see Skaara get shot, but understood that it was was Jack thought he had to do to save Daniel. Then I didn't know it he was dead or alive until the next episode, which was probably the point - suspense.

lol... Common sense aludes them again ... I think ribbon/hand devices are common amongst the Goa'uld and if it had been destroyed then Klorel wouldn't have been able to use it to escape through the rings at the end.

Comment

There are a few other things that bugged me about it, but only mildly and not enough for me to remove it from my fave eps list .

1. Maybe it was Klorel's arrogance, but why didn't they do a huge search of the ship after Jack and Teal'c were found?

2. Why did Skaara say Daniel and Sha're's names when he 'emerged'?

Comment

I love this episode, the hardest part is when Daniel tells Jack that he's staying behind, because he knows he's going to die.

About Luna's second question, I think he said the names of Daniel and Sha're because they are his family and in the confusion of him being able (for the first time since taken as a host) to control his body and his voice the first thing that comes to him is asking or calling for his family
                          sigpic
                          Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

That was some of his earliest best acting imo.. Pity he never got any awards for it.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              That was some of his earliest best acting imo.. Pity he never got any awards for it.
                              Agreed.

Comment

This was a really great episode. The fact that SG1 defy orders to save the world and risk getting court martialed in Jack and Sams case shows how far they have come since the beginning of the show.
                                My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X