Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did this episode have the 'Classic' stargate feel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skarwolf View Post
    They gave this series the wrong name it should've been

Lost Gate Universe

The show is totally copying Lost format with some battlestar gallactica thrown in.
    Oh, come on. Give us some percentages, too. Most posts like that say that SGU is 90% this and 10% that.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
      Oh, come on. Give us some percentages, too. Most posts like that say that SGU is 90% this and 10% that.
      Personally I like proof when people start throwing around lies
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Lost Gate Universe

The show is totally copying Lost format with some battlestar gallactica thrown in.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I'm really not seeing the comparison with BSG. I'm watching it for the first time at the moment and having got through the first couple of seasons I really don't see why everyone insists on comparing it to SGU. They're completely different programs. And incidentally, Lost Gate Universe? Seriously?

Comment

i thought the monster was good CGI.

anyway, i've watched some BSG and i do not see why they are alike. i mean, yes SG and BSG share similarities but BSG remains different. if we go strip it down to the core i could make a list of dozens of shows, books and other media that deal with the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
              ugh, come on.
              Agreed the guy posted that just to troll given the absurd set of conditions he proposes.
              The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

Originally posted by PentaCube View Post
                This had a very stargate feel to it in my eyes. I understand why some would argue based on the flashbacks greer had, but that has happened to a few characters even since SG-1 so I don't see anything wrong with it.
                I don't think many people who are saying it wasn't classic gate are arguing that there was something wrong with the episode. More that the episode doesn't fit the mold of what a classic gate episode is.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Lost Gate Universe

It doesn't really matter as long as people appreciate it.
                  I don't think Lost has a classic sg1 feel and I don't really expect it, this show must live on it's own I think.
                  sigpic

Comment

What makes a stargate episode "Classic"? I mean what does an episode need to have that classic stargate feel?

Comment

no.. the moment SGu feels like classic stargate i'm leaving.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        no.. the moment SGu feels like classic stargate i'm leaving.

Comment

I wish SGU would have some sort of people counter like in BSG (50,000 people left). So in some episodes they should tell us how many crew are left, now that's survival for you! "We don't leave people behind" - classic. "Yes we do" - SGU.

Comment

I could have sworn I clicked on the link for discussion about 'Lost'. Seems more like the discussion for 'Space' given the 'classic Stargate' stuff.

Never really thought of flashbacks to a poor kids upbringing as being very 'stargatey' but what do i know. Just going to re-watch Space and Divided so I can rest assured that SGU can pick itself back up again.

I just wikipedia'd a short synopsis on the rest of S1...man looks like boredom town til Incursion. Thats OK though, not all of SG1 and SGA was gold. For me, SGU is running about 50/50 so thats not too bad.
                            sigpic

Comment

@Phenom (and anyone else that posted something similar): I'd beg to differ. This episode was a very strong 'Stargatey' episode for a variety of reasons:
                              • There are several examples in SG1/SGA of a single main team member being stranded for a period of time and doing some reflection (even if it wasn't shown as actual flashbacks, per se)
                              • The idea of using several connected gates in range of each other to reach another stargate usually out of range has been done before (think: McKay-Carter Intergalactic Gate Bridge... "cue applause")
                              • The person that was left behind happens to be the first person to be rescued... that has occurred before in other SG1/SGA episodes (though I think it's usually wrapped-up in a single episode and not ended on a cliff hanger)

And there's probably more similarities to good, solid Stargate episodes from SG1/SGA. This episode in SGU has brought together ideas from several previous episodes and has done it in a way that is both entertaining, and is paced well.

In my mind, this is definitely Stargate, and it's definitely one of SGU's shining moments.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of references to actual episode names - I suck at remembering those kinds of details and as it's early morning here... I'm too tired to go and find out which episodes the events I described were in

*heads off to get some sleep*
                              Enjoying SGU. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                                sorry but the truth hurts.
                                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                                X