Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
    Ok here are some more basic numbers

If we assume a round distance of 3 Million in a streight line from Earth to Lantia, and a 304 can get there in 3 weeks that works out to 1 million Light Years Per Week. That's 52 Million times the speed of Light! And Atlantis is faster! Geeze.

On a side note: That would mean that a 304 Could traverse the entire Observable UNIVERSE in just over 300 Years.
    The asgard can cross that in 4 days, that makes it 4.5 times faster. What do you think the observable size of the universe is?
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
      Where do you get 300 years from to cross the universe? The observable universe is about 90 billion light years across. At a 1 million ly/week that is 90,000 weeks, which is 1730 years.
      ...and the universe expands in that time or not?

Comment

Originally posted by DaCk View Post
        It doesnt matter about the density it matters about the objects and their affects on the space in hyperspace. We dont know how far out the gravity stretches in hyperspace. Or any other type of thing that could make it dense in hyperspace.
        In the episode Fail Safe SG-1 flew an asteroid right through the Earth, so if normal space and hyperspace interact, it's not much of an interaction at all.

Originally posted by umopapisdn
        Scientists don't really know why when 2 galaxies collide they separate again...
        Uh, conservation of momentum?

...the black holes should draw together but they don't...
        It depends on if it's a collision or a merger. If it's a merger, the two galaxies to combine, and the holes merge eventually. If it's a collision, the two galaxies might be ripped to shreds but the cores of the galaxies continue away from one another.

...they believe this is a result of dark matter.
        Where are you coming up with this stuff? Please cite your references.

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56
        Ok here are some more basic numbers

If we assume a round distance of 3 Million in a streight line from Earth to Lantia, and a 304 can get there in 3 weeks that works out to 1 million Light Years Per Week. That's 52 Million times the speed of Light!
        I got 60,832,886c but you're close enough.

And Atlantis is faster! Geeze.
        Not according to the evidence from the show.

On a side note: That would mean that a 304 Could traverse the entire Observable UNIVERSE in just over 300 Years.
        It could traverse the radii, not the entire observable universe...

Originally posted by Myles
        The observable universe is about 90 billion light years across. At a 1 million ly/week that is 90,000 weeks, which is 1730 years.
        Technically speaking, you're correct of course. The 13.7 billion light year radii of the observable universe has expanded to about 45 billion light years across. I think the previous poster was talking about the 13.7 billion light year distance however.
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Where do you get 300 years from to cross the universe? The observable universe is about 90 billion light years across. At a 1 million ly/week that is 90,000 weeks, which is 1730 years.
          Yup You're right! I just re did the math and got the 1730 Number 2. I did the math wrong the first time. Duh!

The size of the Observable Universe is about 90 Billion Light years. With the Radius being about 45 Billion Light years in any given direction from Earth to the edge, oddly enough indicateing that earth is somewhere in the center of the Observable Universe give or take a few Billion Light years.
          Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
            Yup You're right! I just re did the math and got the 1730 Number 2. I did the math wrong the first time. Duh!

The size of the Observable Universe is about 90 Billion Light years. With the Radius being about 45 Billion Light years in any given direction from Earth to the edge, oddly enough indicateing that earth is somewhere in the center of the Observable Universe give or take a few Billion Light years.
            Well, I'm not well versed in the subject at all, but I would think it's because we can only see so far in every direction. That's why the observable is thrown in there. I suppose it's possible there's stuff beyond what we can see. It would be too ironic if we really were the center of the universe.

Comment

Well, I'm not well versed in the subject at all, but I would think it's because we can only see so far in every direction. That's why the observable is thrown in there. I suppose it's possible there's stuff beyond what we can see. It would be too ironic if we really were the center of the universe.
              Verry True. I got this of Wiki:

In Big Bang cosmology, the observable universe is the region of space bounded by a sphere, centered on the observer, that is small enough that we might observe objects in it, i.e. there has been sufficient time for light emitted by an object to arrive at the observer. Every position has its own observable universe which may or may not overlap with the one centered around the Earth.

The word observable used in this sense has nothing to do with whether modern technology actually permits us to detect radiation from an object in this region. It simply means that it is possible for light or other radiation from the object to reach an observer on earth. In practice, we can only observe objects as far as the surface of last scattering, when the universe became transparent. However, it may be possible to infer information from before this time through the detection of gravitational waves.

The comoving distance from the Earth to the edge of the visible universe (also called cosmic light horizon) is about 46.5 billion light-years in any direction.[4] This defines the comoving radius of the observable universe. The observable universe is thus a sphere with a diameter of 92–94 billion light-years. Since space is roughly flat, this size corresponds to a comoving volume of about

or 3.56×1080 cubic meters.

The figures quoted above are distances now (in cosmological time), not distances at the time the light was emitted. For example, the cosmic microwave background radiation that we see right now was emitted about 13.7 billion years ago by matter that has, in the intervening time, condensed into galaxies. Those galaxies are now about 46 billion light-years from us, but at the time the light was emitted, that matter was only about 40 million light-years away from the matter that would eventually become the Earth.
              Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Slightly off topic. There has been a theory that at one stage whilst the universe was just starting to form much of the matter actually went faster than the speed of light because of the amount of energy, because of the amount of energy the laws of physics as we know them don't apply.
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                  Slightly off topic. There has been a theory that at one stage whilst the universe was just starting to form much of the matter actually went faster than the speed of light because of the amount of energy, because of the amount of energy the laws of physics as we know them don't apply.
                  You're talking about cosmic inflation, but your conclusion is wrong.

Inflation states that not long after the big bang the universe expanded faster than the speed of light. No laws of physics were broken though, because space can stretch faster than the speed of light as long as local objects in that space don't exceed the speed of light.
                  Think warp drive: The ship isn't traveling faster than light through space, the space that ship occupies is traveling faster than light and the ship is just along for the ride.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Hey Jarnin, correct me if im wrong but in essense does the hyperdrive engine just create a field around the ship, creates the hyperdrive window, and "pulls" two locations of 2D space together? The propulsion in hyperspace would be the exact same as if it were outside, so sublight engines? Because if it is then we could come up with accurate numbers on how much more efficient asgard hyperdrives on asgard ships are, or how much faster their sublight is.
                    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                      Hey Jarnin, correct me if im wrong but in essense does the hyperdrive engine just create a field around the ship, creates the hyperdrive window, and "pulls" two locations of 2D space together?
                      Technically, pulling 2 locations together is considered "folding space".

The propulsion in hyperspace would be the exact same as if it were outside, so sublight engines?
                      If you were folding space, then yes, you'd only be able to use sub-light engines.

Because if it is then we could come up with accurate numbers on how much more efficient asgard hyperdrives on asgard ships are, or how much faster their sublight is.
                      Hyperspace travel in StarGate is not folding space. According to Carter in McKay And Mrs. Miller, hyperspace and subspace are synonymous. Wormholes travel through subspace. Now ships travel through subspace, though they call it hyperspace travel.

They've never gotten into the specifics of hyperspace travel, but I'd say it's a varient of warp drive, in that the ship inflates (warps) compactified dimensions (subspace) to allow it to travel through dimensions not normally accessible.
                      Basically, you're creating a wormhole, but instead of creating your own hole, you're using an existing compactified dimension.

In any case, this won't help us figure out the speeds of things.

Comment

We can work out the speed of things like the deadelus and asgard ships as long as the places are based on reality, which it seems they partially are, but we don't really have enough evidence to work out atlantis. All this is is really conjecture.
                        Best quotes ever:

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                          We can work out the speed of things like the deadelus and asgard ships as long as the places are based on reality, which it seems they partially are, but we don't really have enough evidence to work out atlantis. All this is is really conjecture.
                          Very true we need an accurate intergalactic map.

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                            This is correct. Tau'ri ships do not produce sufficient power to maximise the output efficiency of the Hyperdrive engine to 100%. Asgard ships have the nessesary power. When powered by the ZPM the Deadalus maximised the output of its Hyperdrive to 100% therefore traveling at the speed of an Asgard ship. Which is fast. So the amount of power provided is directly proportional to the efficiency of the Hyperdrive engine. More power faster ship.
                            No the ZPM produces way more power it's like comparing a zpm to the eye of harmony(it anchors the whole universe to a single continuity)

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                              No the ZPM produces way more power it's like comparing a zpm to the eye of harmony(it anchors the whole universe to a single continuity)
                              The Eye of Harmony as in the power source of the Time Lords in Dr.WHO?
                              I like Sharky
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                                The Eye of Harmony as in the power source of the Time Lords in Dr.WHO?
                                Yes

Comment

Working...
                                X