No announcement yet.

Wraith and their need for life-force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed, but I think if they were cannibals why didn't they long ago clone themselves and live of each other? So I can only assume it is not common thing and only done under special circumstances

I still think creating something plant based would be worth a try, a plant, which's nectar that has the same components or better said nutritive effects like life-force

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
      In "The Queen," knives/swords/neck snapping were used by both Todd and the other Commander. Just throwing that out there, that there may be various levels of aversion by different factions, for whatever reasons.
      It's also possible Todd had recently fed.

How do you interpret "strength"? Mental, physical, or both? I had been thinking it was more mental, maybe mostly because the Wraith from "Condemned" referred to the quality of defiance tasting sweet. Also, do you think the masked warriors would taste stronger? They are physically strong, but seem low on defiance.
      You're right that it's hard to say. I suspect, although I don't know for sure, that the reason Ronon was made into a runner was because the Wraith feeding on him detected his strength. He is certainly mentally strong, in that he is a very defiant individual who has a capacity to keep going on after years living as a runner, but he also has great physical strength. It could be one or the other that theoretically appealed to the Wraith in his case or did appeal to the Keeper when feeding on Sumner. It could also be a combination of the two. I don't know.

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
      I always thought they only use cannibalism as a means to survive if they have no other choices, as we've seen them using other means to get their opponents out of the way like you said
      I do not think those warriors would taste good, but then again it is likely that every Wraith has their own preferences about that, as humans do
      They do, but it is in their best interest to only feed on other Wraith in emergency situations as otherwise they would be damaging their survival ability. Drones pilot their darts, make up a large part of a Hive's defense against invasion, and act as infantry units in the field. Feeding on them limits their overall survival ability in normal situations and would, in a narrow scope, make them vulnerable to defeat by other Wraith while, in a big picture scenario, make them vulnerable to extinction. They are, nevertheless, a disposal commodity, but it benefits them to use drones as disposal in battle and not to take them away from that task to serve as food. If they were cloned, though, that would be a different matter entirely.

Maybe you're right that humans taste better than drones, but that they don't get regularly eaten doesn't show that since they're more valuable in their current task than as food items, so it's hard to say, but, at the same time, I don't see how the Wraith could use cloning to massively increase their numbers at the end of the war without also setting aside some clones for food (or at least having drones, cloned or otherwise, feed on cloned drones).

Comment

I still think creating something plant based would be worth a try, a plant, which's nectar that has the same components or better said nutritive effects like life-force
        It's all in the technobabble. I've seen bracelets and gloves.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
        It could be one or the other that theoretically appealed to the Wraith in his case or did appeal to the Keeper when feeding on Sumner. It could also be a combination of the two.
        These are good thinking points when analyzing John also: both mental resolve and physical strength.

It's also possible Todd had recently fed.
        Maybe, but why let an opportunity go by? Why not keep topping off? Same for the other Commander, unless there is a taboo on doing that to the Queens. Do you think Wraith can overfill on lifeforce and not be able to take on any more?
        Last edited by WraithTech; 13 July 2018, 04:47 PM. Reason: adding part about Sheppard

Comment

they are stuck while feeding for a good minute or two, and the queen is probably a lot more strong and able to halt or reverse teh flow, the wraithe clones may present a more curious possibility, create a hive ship hybred that they could feed off of while sleeping if it has a power source that is stronger like a zpm or even naquadah

Comment

Originally posted by AleksisMi View Post
            create a hive ship hybred that they could feed off of while sleeping if it has a power source that is stronger like a zpm or even naquadah
            Something like this has been one of my favorite ideas, maybe powered by tech something as the ship Destiny has too (compatible with their ships, a zpm would help with shielding).
            Last edited by WraithTech; 13 July 2018, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I always imagined that the Ori was gaining power from the believer, while the Ancients gained power from their own technology. So that is the reason they have built the stargates as more races use them, the more power they would gain.

The other dark secret of th Ancients could be that some technology works with life energy. So when the Sentinel was activated in season 5 it has killed the NID agent. When Selmak activated the Dakara weapon it has also drained his life energy.

So I imagined that what if these technologies had a connection to the Wraith? What if some proto-Wraith were changed back to Ancients, who they tried to cure in the Milky Way. But their mind has already adapted to the feeding of Iratus bugs, so they created such technologies which drained some life energy from the users? Like a technology vampire... And they needed this extra life force to reach Ascension, but they failed because of their corrupted mind and body.

Or maybe the Ancients realised that this group will always have these animal instincts and they can never change them back even if they looked humans.... Maybe they were all killed or locked up or whatever.... What if this group of used-to-be Wraith Ancients became later known as the Aschens.... They have fought back bravely and they have released that virus which killed all the "normal" Ancients. Some of the Ancients were escaping to Pegasus awhich seemed to be less effected by the infection as it was seperated by the distance. Unfortunately a few hundreds or thousand years were enough for the Wraith to evolve, while the Ancients believed that all members of the lost expedition was found. I know it sounds a bit dark plot twist, but we can assume that there were lots of different Ancient groupes, so maybe that was part of their secrets and complicated history in the different galaxies.

Maybe the whole Ascension is part of the Cosmic Background Radiation, so even the whole Sg-1/Atlantis/Universe metaplots could have a story crossover.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Here is an on-site story with some ideas about Wraith ships and at least one Wraith being sustained without having to feed:
                https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...aiths-Up-close

Here it is all spliced together, complete:
                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7065774/1/HONOR

The ending was spectacular. Highly recommended.
                Last edited by WraithTech; 14 July 2018, 04:32 AM. Reason: adding a link

Comment

It is cannibalism, but it's not something the Wraith have shown any opposition to.
                  Granted, I haven't read this whole thread, just snippets so feel free to call me out if this is answered. But, are we sure they aren't opposed to cannibalism? The only cannibal we found was the one trapped on a planet. And by that point, even humans sometimes turn to cannibalism if they're starving.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                    Granted, I haven't read this whole thread, just snippets so feel free to call me out if this is answered. But, are we sure they aren't opposed to cannibalism? The only cannibal we found was the one trapped on a planet. And by that point, even humans sometimes turn to cannibalism if they're starving.
                    The male from "Defiant One" and the Queen in "Submersion" were trapped. Those are lifeboat situations, as you mentioned, where humans have had to resort to the same.

The hive which attacked Todd's hive in "Spoils of War" appeared to have fed on Todd's crew and the Queen showed interest in feeding on him.

I think it has been a matter of differing opinion so far. My opinion is that it varies by individual, hive, or alliance, and by situation. In "The Queen," Todd and the other Commander didn't use feeding, but blades (knives/swords) and neck snapping.

Maybe the hive which attacked Todd's in "Spoils of War" felt the whole galaxy had become a lifeboat situation and felt justified in what they did.

I can't think of any references on the show to indicate Wraith did this to one another as a regular, non-emergency part of their culture before the New Lanteans woke them.

I also thought we had been discussing cloned drones because of the lifeboat situation of war and didn't mean to convey it was preferable for them, in case it came across that way.

Side note: I can't think of any fanfics with Wraith feeding on cloned drones. I've seen cloned humans. But, there might be some out there.
                    Last edited by WraithTech; 14 July 2018, 05:23 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I agree with you on that, it may vary for individuals and even might be a means to frighten the defeated enemies to show what power the victorious side now has over them

I however do not think that not feeding on drones has to do with them having another purpose, they can be clones again so it would be a steady food supply

Comment

Here is the link to the story about the Ancient glove. It's the most artificial lifeforce idea I've seen, because it is a device with no living intermediaries. Not sure if the device was successful. I haven't read it, due to it is not complete and hasn't been updated in over 4 years, but says no mature content and seems safe to post here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4943761...-Pegasus-Tango

Comment

Sounds interesting.

A point in creating a devise to generate an artificial life-force would be also how well it can be transported or hidden from enemies. A glove would work well for that purpose

Comment

A point in creating a devise to generate an artificial life-force would be also how well it can be transported or hidden from enemies. A glove would work well for that purpose
                            A glove could also protect the hand.

Comment

True, should have cloaking abilities as well because otherwise it would be easy to spot it is something special and of meaning to those who wear it

Comment

Working...
                              X