Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get any of those specific ads referred/blocked,we really need screencaps or urls if at all possible.

I haven't seen anything called "O'yun.fu" (yet?) but I'm getting this ad for Netflix perpetually .Good thing there's an X button to close that one down,because it scrolls over the multiquote and covers the side of posts.Also no noise,unless I click for the blurb itself.

Side ad for Netflix.March 17th 2020.JPG

There's a very annoying one for a game site here too:

Side ad for gaming site.March 17th 2020.JPG

No way to switch it off that I can see,or way to block it via adblock plus.

Oh and this one's back:

Side ad back again.Leads on to Sonic game.March 17th 2020.JPG
    No way to shut that one either.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Piss off these side ads like "O'yun.fu" and "play this game" ads that cannot be closed or people will just either leave or put ad/script blockers on which will destroy the whole purpose of these ads.

Revenue, traffic, or content. Make a choice.
      Visitors may be your ad driver, but the people who make your content worth viewing are getting jack of it.
      I hope you're seated comfortably, 'cause I agree with GF here.

The only way this (or many other) site is usable is with blockers. Along with Firefox's native protections, I use uBlock Origin & NoScript, with the TLD (gateworld.net) and a few other domains this site loads whitelisted. I never see any ads.

I won't even try to visit this site on my iPhone; Apple doesn't allow blocker extensions on Firefox in IOS, so I can't use them. And the site is unusable on that device.

As I said a while back, this is a problem that the advertising industry has to address and resolve, or they're going to kill the business model.

Comment

I just received an update for Phoenix Fan Fusion. Since I can't change the dates on the thread title, it would be appreciated if a mod could change the date to Sept 25-27, 2020. Thanks much !!

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          No way to switch it off that I can see,or way to block it via adblock plus.

Oh and this one's back:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43050[/ATTACH]
          No way to shut that one either.
          Adblock Plus is useless. Several years ago, they began accepting payments from advertisers to let ads from those advertisers though.... Which kinda defeats the purpose of an ad blocker.....

I suggest uBlock Origin

Note that this is not the original "uBlock" which was purchased by Ad Block Plus and subsequently crappified.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
            I just received an update for Phoenix Fan Fusion. Since I can't change the dates on the thread title, it would be appreciated if a mod could change the date to Sept 25-27, 2020. Thanks much !!
            Edited the title,and thanks for the heads-up for anyone hoping to attend!

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Adblock Plus is useless. Several years ago, they began accepting payments from advertisers to let ads from those advertisers though.... Which kinda defeats the purpose of an ad blocker.....

I suggest uBlock Origin

Note that this is not the original "uBlock" which was purchased by Ad Block Plus and subsequently crappified.
              Normally I still use adblock+,but I've been switching to Ublock to get things done here when need be.

Referred all this to Darren already,but he's very busy in rl and it takes a while to get through the to-do lists.

Comment

Would it be possible for this thread, https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...Submit-a-Theme, to be a sticky thread?

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

On the subjhect of adblock plus, once they sold out to advertisiers to let "SOME" ads through, they stopped being an adblocker. Once that hapopened I started using uBlock Origin and havent seen an ad sneak in since. though as I have said the reason I use an adblocker like uBlock is because of incredibly bad experiences with malicious ads sneaking in virus and malware that have killed my computers more times then I care to count.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                  "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                  "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I'm currently using Adblocker Ultimate from the Microsoft extensions

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                      On the subjhect of adblock plus, once they sold out to advertisiers to let "SOME" ads through, they stopped being an adblocker. Once that hapopened I started using uBlock Origin and havent seen an ad sneak in since. though as I have said the reason I use an adblocker like uBlock is because of incredibly bad experiences with malicious ads sneaking in virus and malware that have killed my computers more times then I care to count.
                      ^--- Agree with you I do.

For those interested, Firefox has a new native extension called "Facebook Container". Puports to put a leash on one of the more unsavory corners of the interwebs. So far, I haven't heard anything bad about it.

Comment

I’ve been hesitant to say anything, due to the sad fact that in order to keep a website going, you need ad revenue. I wish there was another way. But, the fact is, in order to enjoy using the site, minus the forum, I have to use Firefox, and use a adblocker to block the video that even if you click the x, it will reload every single time. It blocks apart of the page, and is, let’s face it, annoying. It simply makes the website not fun to use. I avoid using the site often, except for checking the homepage for news and to go to the forum, simply because Firefox does not work natively on Mac. As in I cannot use gestures.

Again, I understand the struggles on the other side, this is just giving user feedback. I also, don’t expect things to change quickly, if at all. I simply wanted to give my perspective. Take it as you will. I’m just thankful the site is here at all. Seriously, thanks to both moderators, and Darren for all you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyssabraveheart View Post
                          I’ve been hesitant to say anything, due to the sad fact that in order to keep a website going, you need ad revenue. I wish there was another way. But, the fact is, in order to enjoy using the site, minus the forum, I have to use Firefox, and use a adblocker to block the video that even if you click the x, it will reload every single time. It blocks apart of the page, and is, let’s face it, annoying. It simply makes the website not fun to use. I avoid using the site often, except for checking the homepage for news and to go to the forum, simply because Firefox does not work natively on Mac. As in I cannot use gestures.

Again, I understand the struggles on the other side, this is just giving user feedback. I also, don’t expect things to change quickly, if at all. I simply wanted to give my perspective. Take it as you will. I’m just thankful the site is here at all. Seriously, thanks to both moderators, and Darren for all you do.
                          I don't really expect it will ever change. Did the used car dealer ads ever become less annoying?
                          It's the mentality of the type of people that go into advertising/marketing. "It can't be I'm trying to sell a crappy product that no one wants, so I'll irritate them. Maybe that will make 'em buy my crap.' That, and their constant optimism. They just can't accept that no one wants whatever it is they are selling.

Comment

At least that Little Ceasers ad seems to be gone (I haven't seen it in a couple of days). That ad would appear every page load and create a border around the forum and I couldn't click on things until it went away. The video ad is a little annoying sometimes, especially when you're trying to reply to something (or edit a reply), but at least it's small (most of the time) and quiet and can usually be closed if necessary.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey all.

I feel like I'm jumping right into the middle of what seems to have been a long conversation about ad-block usage here at GW. I don't know if this particular combination has been mentioned before but this is what I've been using - for a good couple of years now I've been accessing GW via Google Chrome and I use a combination of the browser add-ons Ad-Block Plus and uBlock Origin and am very pleased to say that I have not been bothered by a single advert or pop-up in the slightest.

I don't know if any of that is of any practical use or help to anyone but I just wanted to share my own personal GW experience.

Stay safe everyone. Take care.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                                Hey all.

I feel like I'm jumping right into the middle of what seems to have been a long conversation about ad-block usage here at GW. I don't know if this particular combination has been mentioned before but this is what I've been using - for a good couple of years now I've been accessing GW via Google Chrome and I use a combination of the browser add-ons Ad-Block Plus and uBlock Origin and am very pleased to say that I have not been bothered by a single advert or pop-up in the slightest.

I don't know if any of that is of any practical use or help to anyone but I just wanted to share my own personal GW experience.

Stay safe everyone. Take care.
                                Ad-Block Plus and uBlock (which has been purchased by Ad-Block) are useless. They take payments from advertisers to let those advertiser's ad through. uBlock Origin alone will do the same for you, and without having deceitful software such as ad-block plus loaded and consuming resources.

Comment

Working...
                                X