• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will You Take My Hand? (115)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: DISCOVERY - SEASON ONE
    WILL YOU TAKE MY HAND?
    EPISODE NUMBER - 115
    The Discovery crew is forced to follow a leader they do not trust on a mission to infiltrate the enemy homeworld Qo'nos and identify key military targets -- but Burnham, Tilly, and Tyler soon discover that a desperate Starfleet may be selling its soul in the process.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 12 February 2018, 06:00 PM.

That is not how I saw this playing out, and I am a-okay with that. It was a thoroughly TOS-y resolution to the ongoing story, which was just perfect.

And hey how about that ending eh? And then the end credits? Ha! I am so fanboy-pleased

Also: I was freaking dying when Clint Howard popped up
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Not a bad final, but I've enjoyed some of the other Discovery episodes more. Michelle definitely plays the part of an evil former empress much better than she plays a Federation Captain too. I further loved the Enterprise showing up, and I approve of the redesign; its still very much TOS, but has elements of a modern look that fit in nicely with Discovery too. I just hope the bridge isn't styled to TOS too much. I expect to see Pike, not sure we'll see Spock though; there will probably be a reference from Sarak stating he needs to take care of something, but that'll be it.

I'm also assuming that the new captain is indeed a rescued prime Lorca, simply because if it was anyone else, they might as well have just promoted Saru. I can't for one minute think a new captain is going to reflect much upon this show unless it's someone we already know, so yeah, my money is on Lorca Prime.

What I didn't quite like is how the war ended; L'Rell spouted on about honour and unification, but was willing to destroy Qo'nos if the other houses didn't do as they're told? Not very honourable. Also, it was clearly stated by Martok in DS9 that his people (the Klingons) never attempted an assault on Earth, and yet here we see a Klingon Fleet all good and ready for that assault - so I'd say they'd moved past the point of deciding to attempt one.

I did however like the scenes on the ground; depicting Human, Klingon and Orion (seemingly) living in a form of harmony; just goes to show that an entire culture shouldn't be judged on the actions of a few, and that, in this instance, not all Klingons wanted to kill all Humans.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I was freaking dying when Clint Howard popped up.
      I honestly have no idea who this is.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flash525 View Post
        I honestly have no idea who this is.
        Clint Howard is the actor who played the moustache guy who got Tilly high.

Aside from him being director Ron Howard’s weird-looking brother, Clint has a long history in Trek. He appeared in the Ferengi-centric Enterprise episode ‘Acquisition,’ the DS9 episode ‘Past Tense, Part II,’ and appeared as a child in the TOS episode ‘The Corbomite Maneuver.’ He was the little guy who loved his drink tranya, when Kirk & McCoy beamed over to the alien ship expecting to meet this guy, who it turned out was just a prop.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

My God! What a finale.
          I'm so amazed right now. The performance is amazing and Tilly is so funny.
          Loved it when the enterprise made its appearance and then the credits, I was literally jumping on my seat.
          Ever since I started watching Discovery, I was wondering where the Enterprise was. This coincides with Pike's command and I really like Pike. I wanted to see more of him and it finally happened.
          I'm not expecting him to be Burnham's new captain of course, but I hope we see more of the Enterprise next season.

Comment

Clint Howard is the actor who played the moustache guy who got Tilly high.

Aside from him being director Ron Howard’s weird-looking brother, Clint has a long history in Trek. He appeared in the Ferengi-centric Enterprise episode ‘Acquisition,’ the DS9 episode ‘Past Tense, Part II,’ and appeared as a child in the TOS episode ‘The Corbomite Maneuver.’ He was the little guy who loved his drink tranya, when Kirk & McCoy beamed over to the alien ship expecting to meet this guy, who it turned out was just a prop.
            Thanks for the info! I never knew!

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
            My God! What a finale.
            I'm so amazed right now. The performance is amazing and Tilly is so funny.
            Loved it when the enterprise made its appearance and then the credits, I was literally jumping on my seat.
            Ever since I started watching Discovery, I was wondering where the Enterprise was. This coincides with Pike's command and I really like Pike. I wanted to see more of him and it finally happened.
            I'm not expecting him to be Burnham's new captain of course, but I hope we see more of the Enterprise next season.
            Apparently we're going to meet Pike, but we're not going to meet Spock; whether that's because he isn't actually on the Enterprise here, or because they don't want us to meet him (if we're not due too) is anyone's guess. Considering the current setup though, one would think, or hope, that at least the first episode of S2 will be a joint venture between the two crews.
            sigpic

Comment

I can't see anyone playing him other than nimoy. It's bad enough that we had to see Quinto do it once. This should never happen again. I'm not saying Quinto is bad, it was just weird.
              And please don't give us CGI spock.

Comment

Quinto did it three times...lol

I’ve been saying for a while now I think it could be interesting if they grabbed Quinto and Bruce Greenwood to play Spock and Pike in this show. Yes they play the JJverse counterparts, but I don’t think that’s any barrier to the same actors playing the Prime universe versions. Heck, Quinto started in TV.

Comment

I can't see Quinto and Greenwood making it to the small screen for this show; they'd surely cost too much for starters? It's possible, sure, but (I think) unlikely, regardless of how neat it would be.

I also wonder (at this point) what uniforms are being worn aboard the Enterprise; the Discovery crew, and (seemingly) everyone who is a Starfleet Officer on Earth is wearing the Discovery uniform, so it would certainly seem out of place if Pike and Spock were seen in their Yellow Tops, yet at the same time, it would seem odd for them to appear in the Discovery style clothing.
                  sigpic

Comment

If it's a question of budget, then it's not a problem. I mean they paid for Isaac's.
                    Edit: what if we get a spin-off?
                    I hated that they went with Shatners pilot. I preferred the cage. I don't even remember what Shatners was about, but the cage stuck in my mind with all its details coz it was so good. It had a twilight zone sense to it. So spin off maybe?

Comment

The first of the Discovery spin-off books (written in conjunction with one of the show's staff writers) explained away the uniform discrepancy as the Cage-type uniforms having only been rolled out on the shiny new Constitution-class ships.

As to just where we're at now...I'm not expecting the Enterprise to be in the season premiere, I think this was just a nice little bit of fan service to end the season. I think it would be fun to have Greenwood and Quinto show up, but realistically I don't see it happening.

This is awfully soon to start talking spin-off too, IMO.

Comment

There are books already??!
                        These guys don't waste any time at all.

Comment

Here's a thought that haunted me while watching the finale.
                          It's been a whole season and the bridge personnel are still one dimensional characters. I hate this. You'd expect this from a show in the old days, but now, they should know better. I mean if anyone them died, I wouldn't care. They feel like red shirts to me.
                          These are the bridge officers for God's sake. We should have had a backstory for at least some of them by now.

Comment

Here's a thought that haunted me while watching the finale.
                            It's been a whole season and the bridge personnel are still one dimensional characters. I hate this. You'd expect this from a show in the old days, but now, they should know better. I mean if anyone them died, I wouldn't care. They feel like red shirts to me.
                            These are the bridge officers for God's sake. We should have had a backstory for at least some of them by now.
                            The show just isn't really about them though. I'm pretty sure they'll get more fleshed out now that Burnham is a full commander again but the first season was more like from the lower deck's point of view. But the focus will always be more on Burnham, Saru, Stamets and Tilly than the bridge crew as a whole.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The first of the Discovery spin-off books (written in conjunction with one of the show's staff writers) explained away the uniform discrepancy as the Cage-type uniforms having only been rolled out on the shiny new Constitution-class ships.
                              Not to dispute this, but hat wouldn't explain for the non Constitution officers and admirals that appeared throughout TOS also wearing the Constitution uniform.

As to just where we're at now...I'm not expecting the Enterprise to be in the season premiere, I think this was just a nice little bit of fan service to end the season. I think it would be fun to have Greenwood and Quinto show up, but realistically I don't see it happening.
                              I do believe the showrunners have made it quite clear that the Enterprise and Pike will feature in the opening to Season 2, though they've been reluctant to answer any questions concerning Spock.

It's been a whole season and the bridge personnel are still one dimensional characters. I hate this. You'd expect this from a show in the old days, but now, they should know better. I mean if anyone them died, I wouldn't care. They feel like red shirts to me. These are the bridge officers for God's sake. We should have had a backstory for at least some of them by now.
                              A valid observation, but two points of interest; the first is that this isn't your normal Trek show; it's focus is on Burnham - the other characters are here to support her, unlike other Trek shows where the story focused either around the entire crew, or around specific individuals for different episodes.

The second, is that unlike all the other shows, Discovery only presented us with 15 episodes, and not the 20+ that every other series received. There's also the fact that Discovery is (or was) telling the same story from different perspectives; in that it started out as a story from Burnham and the Federation, and then T'kuvma, Voq, and L'Rell on the other. It then expanded, or changed to focus on Burnham and the Terran Empire.
                              Last edited by Flash525; 13 February 2018, 07:47 AM. Reason: Uniforms
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X