Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mandalorian: Speculation/Discussion (please tag spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. The very beginnings of the First Order (before there is a First Order) happen in the closing pages of the third Aftermath book, and their goings-on about six years before TFA are strongly alluded to in the book Bloodline.

Be interesting to see what the show does with it, though honestly I'm more interested in/excited about the idea of a lawless frontier where no galactic authority rules. Sounds like a Western, except Star Wars so probably much faster paced lol
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
      The Mandalorian will explore the origin of the first order.
      Here's the article.
      good info, thanks!
      ----------------------------------------------------
      digi-- hopefully we will get this 1st order backstory, along with the western element. i think that the western elemnet is pretty muched sealed in as we see in the trailer

i am in a lot of anticipation over this show (and the new trilogies and other shows) i hope it delivers

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Interesting. The very beginnings of the First Order (before there is a First Order) happen in the closing pages of the third Aftermath book, and their goings-on about six years before TFA are strongly alluded to in the book Bloodline.

Be interesting to see what the show does with it, though honestly I'm more interested in/excited about the idea of a lawless frontier where no galactic authority rules. Sounds like a Western, except Star Wars so probably much faster paced lol
        I've always wondered about their origin. They just appeared in TFA. I hoped SW Resistance would give us something, but alas there was nothing about their origin.

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
          digi-- hopefully we will get this 1st order backstory
          Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
          I've always wondered about their origin. They just appeared in TFA. I hoped SW Resistance would give us something, but alas there was nothing about their origin.
          We can glean a little bit about it from the books/comics/games (all of which are canon) that have come out in the last few years, but not a whole heck of a lot.

In the first couple of months after the death of Palpatine at the Battle of Endor, a series of droids called Sentinels (or Messengers) came online and visited various Imperial commanders, and with a holographic visage of the Emperor recorded some time before his death, he gave his final command - to commence Operation: Cinder.

Cinder was the unleashing a series of satellite weapons on many worlds, whether loyal to the Empire or not, designed to cause catastrophic storms that would render the target worlds uninhabitable. At least half a dozen worlds (this number has been expanding over the last few years as more books/comics/games are released) were targeted, including Naboo. The fledgling New Republic was ultimately able to stop the attacks, but not before thousands, maybe millions, perished.

The motivation behind Operation: Cinder remains a bit unclear. It's been suggested that it was to punish disloyal worlds, but this doesn't really hold water because loyal worlds were targeted too. It's also been suggested that it was simply the last, spiteful act of a hate-filled Emperor determined to destroy what he couldn't have.

But in the Aftermath books, we start to get a suggestion that it might've been something else: burning away the Imperial military officers who were not fanatically loyal enough to their Emperor, so the only Imperials left would be the fanatical true believers. It's revealed in the books that Operation: Cinder is part of a larger operation called the Contingency that's designed in part to do just that.

Gallius Rax, a personal protege of Palpatine for decades, received special instructions from one of the Messengers to personally guide the Contingency--to begin with Operation: Cinder, collect the loyalist military officers who made it through that operation, gather them all into one fleet, and have one final apocalyptic showdown over Jakku--where the last Imperials of questionable loyalty would be burned away in a last battle with the rebels/New Republic and one of Rax's operatives would do something to destroy the planet and wipe out the Republic fleet along with the weakest surviving Imperials. The Battle of Jakku took place a year to the day after Endor, and resulted in the decades-old starship graveyard we see there at the beginning of The Force Awakens.

The effort to destroy the planet (obviously) failed, Rax was killed, and the Republic prevailed, but the extremist Imperial survivors escaped, as planned, into the Unknown Regions to found a new empire. On Rax's orders, a former Commandant of an Imperial Academy (General Hux's father) had already begun training/brainwashing child soldiers to create a whole new generation of soldiers who knew nothing but fanatical loyalty to this new power.

...and that's where the Aftermath books end. It's very clearly implied that this is how the First Order starts, but it's 29 years between the Battle of Jakku and the sequel trilogy. So far, we haven't seen the First Order again in any media until the sequel trilogy era stuff like The Force Awakens, Resistance, and the Poe Dameron comic.

The Mandalorian is going to be set five years after Return of the Jedi (so, four years after the Battle of Jakku). So, this would be a great time to see the early years of the First Order, hiding out there in the obscure regions of the galaxy!
          Last edited by DigiFluid; 04 September 2019, 03:21 PM.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

According to what you explained, I see only one reason for what happened. This was all to show everyone that the New Republic is weak. That it couldn't save those thousands/millions.

Comment

True.

I've also been thinking that since we know that Palpatine is making some kind of appearance in TRoS, it seems as though the Contingency, in being aimed at founding a new empire from the ashes of the old one, is yet another long-term plan of his.

I guess we're getting a little off subject though - early First Order in The Mandalorian! That's neat! I wonder whether Giancarlo Esposito's character is going to find himself mixed up with them, since it seems he's going to be playing an ex-Moff.

Comment

Deadline reporting that actress Julia Jones has joined the cast

https://deadline.com/2019/09/the-man...es-1202713442/

I was under the impression that filming was largely complete, so I’m not sure what the deal is here - if it’s a small role, or for pickups/reshoots, or even for Season 2.

Comment

Deadline reporting that actress Julia Jones has joined the cast

https://deadline.com/2019/09/the-man...es-1202713442/

I was under the impression that filming was largely complete, so I’m not sure what the deal is here - if it’s a small role, or for pickups/reshoots, or even for Season 2.
                  Ming Na to appear in The Mandalorian

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019...-the-cast.html
                  now how cool would it be if these two actresses were to play the roles of Ahsoka and Sabine Wren? last seen together post ROTJ and engaging on their search for Ezra

Comment

Jon Favreau intends to direct an episode for the as-yet unconfirmed Season 2:

“We’re working on season 2, writing, prepping with the directors and getting ready to direct myself, actually,” said the Iron Man and Jungle Book director. “I didn’t get a chance the last time around because I was doing Lion King. So I’ll step in for one of them.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/09/jon-fav...rian-season-2/

Comment

Entertainment Weekly: The Mandalorian unmasked: 'We did things no Star Wars fan has ever seen'

The Mandalorian stealthily enters the safe house. Two stormtroopers stand guard. The soldiers have become freelance mercenaries since the Empire has collapsed, their once-pristine armor now grimy with dirt. The bounty hunter creeps up behind them and fires his blaster, gunning them down.

So, yes: The Mandalorian shoots first — and shoots his enemies in the back.

This is the brutal, lawless world of this new Disney+ Star Wars series — which brings a galaxy far, far away to the small screen as a live-action series for the first time. The show is set after the downfall of the Galactic Empire in Return of the Jedi but before the events of The Force Awakens. For now, chaos reigns across the universe, especially in the outer reaches of the galaxy where a Mandalorian bounty hunter stalks his prey for diminishing returns.

"It’s like after the Roman Empire falls, or when you don’t have a centralized shogun in Japan* — and, of course, the Old West, when there wasn’t any government in the areas that had not yet been settled," says showrunner Jon Favreau (The Lion King), who spearheads the series along with longtime Star Wars animated-series producer Dave Filoni. "Those are also cinematic tropes in films that originally inspired George Lucas to make Star Wars."

Indeed, The Mandalorian’s clearest inspiration is the first act of A New Hope, which played like a Western set in space: exotic creatures, smugglers, soldiers, and bounty hunters leading rough lives in an overlooked outlaw territory. (Conversely, the show is perhaps the furthest from the Star Wars prequels and the aristocratic poshness of their Jedi council meetings on Coruscant.) Expect The Mandalorian to travel from system to system in a very "boots on the ground" tale without any major legacy characters… at least, not in the first season.

"I’ve always been curious what the other people in the cantina are up to," Favreau says. "We’re digging really deep in the toy chest and pulling out the action figures that people were always curious about and were not quite in the center frame, but have a lot of potential."

Or as Filoni puts it: "These are the [action figures] you got. Your older brothers have had 'good' ones. Somehow you got Boba Fett. And if you have Boba Fett, you could always tell a good story."

The Mandalorian represents a crucial asset for Disney and Lucasfilm. The show (with a reported budget of $100 million for the eight-episode debut season) is the highest-profile series to launch with Disney’s new streaming service Disney+ on Nov. 12. And at a time when Disney has said it plans to slow its roll on making new Star Wars movies, The Mandalorian will be the first test of whether the iconic 42-year-old sci-fi brand can work in the live-action TV space, with more live-action titles such as an Obi-Wan series starring Ewan McGregor and a Rogue One prequel starring Diego Luna also in the works.

At first glance, the lead character on The Mandalorian is just Boba Fett by another name. But look closer. Boba Fett, despite that armor, wasn’t actually Mandalorian (he was a clone who culturally appropriated the look). "And unlike Boba, he’s operating in a much more unforgiving landscape where survival is difficult enough, let alone flourishing," Favreau says. Plus, as star Pedro Pascal (Game of Thrones) puts it, the Mandalorian would prefer to do the right thing, "but his duties could very much be in conflict with that — and doing the right thing has many faces."

Speaking of faces, don’t expect to see Pascal’s very often. The Mandalorian* — or "Mando," as he’s called on set — is pretty fond of keeping that helmet on. (Pascal, not so much. The actor spent a bit of time bumping into things around the set before he got the hang of it.)

Centering a TV series on a character obscured by a mask is perhaps the show’s boldest move, but if anybody can make the premise work it's Favreau, who also directed a little masked-man movie called Iron Man. Assisted by Pascal’s laconic line delivery and terse physicality, along with expressive choices in camera work and editing, Favreau manages to infuse the character with a surprising amount of personality. "What’s remarkable is when you see the whole stretch of the first season how engaging the character is," Favreau says. "It’s amazing how many Star Wars characters are emotionally engaging that aren’t even anthropomorphic. R2-D2 is my favorite character and he barely has an eye."

Another faceless character is IG-11, an assassin droid voiced by director Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). The Kiwi, who also helmed the season 1 finale, labored on finding the perfect voice for the role before landing on a tone that he says is somewhere between Siri and HAL 9000. "[IG-11 is] very innocent and naive and direct and doesn’t know about sarcasm and doesn’t know how to lie," Waititi says. "It’s like a child with a gun."

Rounding out the world of The Mandalorian are Haywire’s Gina Carano as Cara Dune, a Rebel Shock Trooper-turned-mercenary, and Rocky’s Carl Weathers as Greef Carga, the leader of a bounty hunters’ guild. "In the Star Wars world, you find yourself walking a different way, you behave differently, you relate to what’s around you differently, because it’s not a contemporary world," notes Weathers.

[image of IG-11]

Arguably the most powerful of the bunch are Breaking Bad’s Giancarlo Esposito as Moff Gideon, a former governor under the Galactic Empire whose world fell apart when those pesky Rebels blew up the second Death Star.

"He’s an Imperial remnant of a very fine officer who then switches to become sort of the guardian of the people," says Esposito, who had his favorite Star Wars geek-out moment when he got to climb into a TIE fighter. "But what does [Moff Gideon] really want? This guy is going to be a big player because he has an idea of how to keep order."

Ah yes, order. Eventually this time period gives rise to the First Order, whose origins are still mysterious. The Mandalorian team expects to ultimately explore those formative roots. In fact, filling in the mythology of Star Wars with new canon content on a TV series is a specialty of producer Filoni, who has quietly become the most prolific storyteller in the Star Wars universe, having crafted hundreds of animated episodes across a trio of series such as The Clone Wars.

"I’ve seen a lot of Star Wars," Filoni says. "And what’s most exciting to me is that I am very confident we did some things — and fans will see things — that have never been seen before."

Comment

Yesterday Michelle Buchman, who runs the official Star Wars Twitter account, tweeted out the airing/release schedule for The Mandalorian, and Matt Martin from the Lucasfilm Story Group replied just chatting with her.

The tweet has since been deleted, which either means she wasn't supposed to release it yet, or it was wrong, but the alleged release schedule is:

Episode 1 - Nov 12 (series premiere)
                        Episode 2 - Nov 15
                        Episode 3 - Nov 22
                        Episode 4 - Nov 29
                        Episode 5 - Dec 6
                        Episode 6 - Dec 13
                        Episode 7 - Dec 18
                        Episode 8 - Dec 27 (season finale)

Comment

Final trailer!

Comment

Yesterday Michelle Buchman, who runs the official Star Wars Twitter account, tweeted out the airing/release schedule for The Mandalorian, and Matt Martin from the Lucasfilm Story Group replied just chatting with her.

The tweet has since been deleted, which either means she wasn't supposed to release it yet, or it was wrong, but the alleged release schedule is:

Episode 1 - Nov 12 (series premiere)
                            Episode 2 - Nov 15
                            Episode 3 - Nov 22
                            Episode 4 - Nov 29
                            Episode 5 - Dec 6
                            Episode 6 - Dec 13
                            Episode 7 - Dec 18
                            Episode 8 - Dec 27 (season finale)
                            Airing schedule has now been confirmed by the show's press kit.

Comment

Vanity Fair trailer and "one week away".

Comment

I have no access to Disney Plus so their loss but hell I'm back in the pirate game for this one.

Not seen the trailer yet in case I can't find it ... errmm... you know, by other means.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X