No announcement yet.

The Fan-fic Ideas and Advice Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find them useful. Mostly for the interservice rivalry funnies.

An example is that I have a friend who is in the Marines, and I joked with "USMC = Uncle Sams Misguided Children" he broke down laughing, and showoed the lin to his fellow Marines, they all laujghed and started giving replies that the Navy and Army are the real soldiers, the Marines are misfits, and the Air Force is a government corpration

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Had a brilliant idea a couple of days ago.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. Scotland"

The Scottish division of S.H.I.E.L.D. is just three guys operating out of tiny offices in Glasgow (covering the West of Scotland), Edinburgh (covering the East Coast), and Inverness (covering the Highlands and Islands).

The folks back at the Triskelion in New York have forgotten about them. But what with bureaucracy being what is is, they still get paid every month, the rent, electricity, internet and phone for their offices is still paid.

All their emails and phone calls go through an automated system that nobody checks any more.

Hydra never bothered with S.H.I.E.L.D. Scotland, because they felt that it wasn't worth the time and effort to infiltrate.

The guys meet up every couple of months to try and work out what they're doing wrong.

And it's at one of these meetings in Edinburgh, that things kick off. Big time.

A ruddy great spaceship appears in the night sky, a running battle through the streets and into Waverly Station, and then Captain America shows up in a Quinjet...

I have this mental image of a trio of middle aged Scottish guys running full pelt along Princes Street (a la Trainspotting) desperately trying to get to Waverly Station before the battle ends - but arriving just a few seconds too late, just as the Quinjet takes off ("Come back ya swines!"), leaving our heroes to try and explain things to the cops.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Oh, please write that so I can read it!
        Monica Zelenka lover since 2004! RDA fan since 1985! Lorne fan since 2003!
        sigpic
        Lady Pandora
        Atlantis Series: Retrospective Ruminations Unexpected

Comment

I recently, within the last few months, had trouble coming up with an alien name for character in SGA fan fic sequel I'm writing and when I did a google serach for alien name generator, this is what I found:

http://www.scifiideas.com/alien-name-generator/ - This is the one that helped me come up with a good name and some to use in the future. There are more name generators under Writing Resources > Random generators.

The site these two links are from has lots of name generators that might useful if anyone happens to get stuck at some point while writing.
          http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/alien-names.php
          http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com...lien-names.php

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by MonicaL View Post
            Oh, please write that so I can read it!
            Y'know, I think I just might.

I've thought of where the Glasgow office is - somewhere in the bowels of Glasgow Central Station. The Edinburgh office is part of an old decommissioned secret military base under Edinburgh Castle.

But I don't know Inverness that well (only been there a couple of times), so I'm struggling to think of somewhere for the Inverness office.

I'll see if anyone in the Fic Help thread can suggest something.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              Y'know, I think I just might.

I've thought of where the Glasgow office is - somewhere in the bowels of Glasgow Central Station. The Edinburgh office is part of an old decommissioned secret military base under Edinburgh Castle.

But I don't know Inverness that well (only been there a couple of times), so I'm struggling to think of somewhere for the Inverness office.

I'll see if anyone in the Fic Help thread can suggest something.
              I'd help, but never been.
              Monica Zelenka lover since 2004! RDA fan since 1985! Lorne fan since 2003!
              sigpic
              Lady Pandora
              Atlantis Series: Retrospective Ruminations Unexpected

Comment

Have you guys ever tried this ?

Using a movie series, or video games series, or TV series, to influence a certain characters' mannerisms ? In my case I have a character named Prince Talon, and somehow he ended up modeled after Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones in how he details things

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Yeah, I kind of do that was well. I suppose it's a kind of shorthand.

If you're writing an original character, you say to yourself "Maybe they look a bit like such-and-such an actor/actress", or you pick someone's mannerisms and transplant them to your character.

One of my OCs, Lt. Carol Ann McCall, Royal Navy Reserve, goes by the nickname "Callan".

This was inspired by my youngest niece, who had a tiny bit of a speech impediment when she was a toddler (she'll be 20 next birthday) so that her Rs came out as Ds.

So, in the context of the character, when Lt. McCall was very young she couldn't quite pronounce "Carol Ann" properly, it came out as "Callan" and just kind of stuck.
                  sigpic

Comment

hrrm time for a Bert Reynolds themed comic book or game
                    or a book whatever

Comment

Originally posted by AleksisMi View Post
                      hrrm time for a Bert Reynolds themed comic book or game
                      or a book whatever
                      "Smokey and the Bandit pt. 2" has always been a particular favourite of mine.
                      sigpic

Comment

If I may interject with my own story (I do not mean to interrupt or step on anyone's toes), I could use some help with my own story. It takes place right about Atlantis ended, but it ignored the books.

Atlantis goes back into space, this time as a headquarters for peace (A Space Untied Nations, sorta). The problem is, the person who was supposed to be in charge died and due to several complicated details, the person who gets the job as ambassador is a 17-year-old girl. A secret organization is after the symbiote she's a host to, and she also has to deal with politics of two different galaxies. Internal politics aren't great either, as she's not military, young, not entirely comfortable with the crew, blamed for lots of things, and she's been explaining modern politics to aliens (things like nationhood and cultural identity and extinction), which messes with them just doing things 'the simple way'.

I've got some basics of some plots, like the war in the Pegasus galaxy and assassins and nanites. I could use some help solidifying the lots (if that makes sense) and some ideas on what to do with canon characters, so my original ones don't seem like they take over the story.
                        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                          ...(things like nationhood and cultural identity and extinction)...
                          What 17 year old is capable of explaining that? Even with a symbiote to help out.

What's the background here?
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Oh, I dunno. You get some pretty intelligent teenagers these days. And even younger!

I can remember back in the late 70s/early 80s, there was this young boy who'd appear on chat shows in the UK - he was about 10 years old or so at the time, thin faced, very fair curly blond hair - and he was an expert in antiques.

For the life of me I can't remember his name.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              What 17 year old is capable of explaining that? Even with a symbiote to help out.

What's the background here?
                              I'm not calling myself or my sister a genius, but it was pretty mucht he norm to read King Leopold's Ghost, 1984, The Constitution, The Declaration of Independence, a speech or two about Manifest Destiny, Anne Frank's Diary (or something similar), and pretty much anything on the history of denying black people rights.

And that's without things like watching Stargate or Star Trek or Avatar the Last Airbender (sure, sometimes they don't use those words, but they use the concepts).

These seemed like basic things to me when I graduated (okay, sure, I didn't learnt the names for some of them). I'm pretty sure kids have to write at least one essay about this before college (or to get into college).
                              Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

If all the diplomatic knowledge came from the symbiote, then why is it in a 17 year old girl?

sigpic
                                Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                                https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Working...
                                X