No announcement yet.

X-Files Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fox Eyes “More Traditional” Episode Order For ‘X-Files’ Season 11, Official Pick Up Expected “Within Weeks”

By Patrick Munn | October 26, 2016 - 11:00 pm

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/10/fox-...-within-weeks/

EXCLUSIVE:
    After months of rumours, an eleventh season of The X-Files is within sight. I’m hearing from my sources that Fox execs are targeting a “more traditional” episode order for the new season and that the official green-light is expected from the network “within weeks”.

Sources are reluctant to say much of anything either on the record or on background, but I’m hearing that after hoping to convince Chris Carter, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson to sign on for a thirteen episode eleventh season, Fox senior executives, led by Dana Walden, have settled on an order in the range of 8-10 episodes. (UPDATE: Additional sources are now saying the order will be for ten episodes)

Just as it was the last go around, the biggest hurdle has been scheduling, with finding an opening in the work schedule of the always busy Gillian Anderson being a key issue. That has been all but resolved and, while there are still some key deal points (fear not, I hear Fox got the memo on equal pay) all three are set to return for the new season, which I’m told is eyeing a Spring/Mid-2017 production start in Vancouver. Sources also tell TVWise that Fox is eyeing the new season for a key slot on their 2017 Fall schedule.

Once the official pick-up comes down, talks will then begin with other key players who are deemed vital for the new season. That includes Glen Morgan, who wrote and executive produced season ten, and Mitch Pileggi who plays Mulder and Scully’s erstwhile boss, FBI Assistant Director Walter Skinner. Chris Carter will once again serve as lead writer, executive producer and showrunner. There is no word on who Carter is looking at to staff the writers room for these new episodes, which will have to pick up from the cliffhanger ending of season ten.

The larger episode order, while good news for fans of The X-Files, is expected to play well with both Fox’s international sales division, Twentieth Century Fox Television Distribution, and foreign broadcasters – some of whom were initially a little wary of signing on to air the short tenth season, which consisted of a mere six episodes. Representatives of both Fox and 20th Century Fox Television declined to comment.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Ten episodes would be great!

Comment

13 would be better, I don't see why they can't go with the idea previously posted in the thread of bring the other two mini-mulder/scully characters in for a few episodes and backdoor a potential "changing if the guard" in slowly, those two were a good fit and if the stories are still good, I personally don't care.

Mulder and Scully would retire/transfer eventually and i'm not a particular fan of having actors in their seventies portraying characters long past their retirement age like other shows like ncis.

Comment

Watch the skies because we want to believe X-files will return.
          Total syffy posts: 36,690
          (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
          Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            Fox Eyes “More Traditional” Episode Order For ‘X-Files’ Season 11, Official Pick Up Expected “Within Weeks”

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/10/fox-...-within-weeks/
            Originally posted by Lorne
            Ten episodes would be great!
            Originally posted by pscard View Post
            Watch the skies because we want to believe X-files will return.

Last edited by Alan; 19 February 2017, 10:04 AM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
              13 would be better, I don't see why they can't go with the idea previously posted in the thread of bring the other two mini-mulder/scully characters in for a few episodes and backdoor a potential "changing if the guard" in slowly, those two were a good fit and if the stories are still good, I personally don't care.

Mulder and Scully would retire/transfer eventually and i'm not a particular fan of having actors in their seventies portraying characters long past their retirement age like other shows like ncis.
              If that 24 reboot does well enough, it may whet Fox's appetite to pursue the reboot route with X-Files as well. I'm all for an X-Files: the Next Generation series but, if that were to happen, I hope that Mulder and Scully's story gets some closure in the next batch of episodes. Tie up some old threads before launching any new ones.

Comment

The X-Files’ Update: Renewal Talks are Progressing, But It’s Not Likely to Return Next Season:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/x-files-fox-jamie-foxx-gary-newman-david-madden-1201767604/

TCA: "It does not feel imminent to me," Fox TV chairman Gary Newman says of a deal with Gillian Anderson, David Duchovny, and Chris Carter. Also: How Jamie Foxx wound up hosting Fox's new game show "Beat Shazam."

Michael Schneider
                4 hours ago
                @franklinavenue

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in “The X-Files.”
                Ed Araquel/FOX

Fox Entertainment president David Madden told reporters Wednesday that he had hoped to have an “X-Files” announcement to announce on Wednesday.

But alas, as Fox TV Group chairman/CEO Gary Newman told IndieWire later, a deal with stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, as well as executive producer Chris Carter, continues to be a logistic challenge for the network and sister studio 20th Century Fox TV.

As a result, Newman said he doesn’t expect the show to return during the upcoming 2017-18 TV season.

“My expectation is we will not have something next season,” he said. “It could be Fall 2018 or [Winter] 2019. It isn’t impossible that it couldn’t turn around and happen next year, but the clock is getting pretty tight. There’s no negativity, there’s no issues, I think they’d all like to do it. But it isn’t an easy decision for them. We remain as supportive as we can be trying to help them make it work. But right now it doesn’t feel like, ‘oh shoot, we missed by a couple of days with an announcement.'”

It’s not for lack of trying, Newman said.

“It’s just very difficult,” Newman said. “Their lives don’t lend themselves easily to finding time to do this. Gillian lives in London, she has young children. Coming to Vancouver for three or four months is not easy for her, particularly when she has other work commitments. David can be available, and then something big can come along for him. So it’s not easy to find time. We would love to do it again, and I believe there will be a time when it happens, but it does not feel imminent to me.”

Earlier, Madden struck a more optimistic tone. He said he was “feeling good… we feel like there’s progress being made” on finalizing deals with stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, as well as executive producer Chris Carter, to bring the show back again. An announcement could come “shortly.”

Madden did have one little morsel to share: Fox is indeed pushing hard for the next edition of “The X-Files” to be more than just six episodes. “It won’t be 22, but we are hoping for more than six,” he said. “That is our goal.”

Fox has been teasing another return of “The X-Files” for a year, since last year’s revival posted huge ratings (although, admittedly, mixed reviews).
                Last edited by Alan; 11 January 2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Alan.

The anticipation for solid developments on Season 11 is driving me crazy. I thought for sure the TCAs would deliver the goods.

Oh, well.

There's still hope.

Comment

‘The X-Files’ Coming Back Again For New Event Series Next Season

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Obviously this is excellent news. Having 10 episodes in Season 11 instead of the 6 that made up S10 will help the storytelling and character development enormously. Season 10 felt rushed and paced far too quickly with the stories it was trying to tell and I felt that often across the 45-minutes of every episode of S10.

My hopes for Season 11:
                      1. The tone is more like that of the first 3 seasons - darker and edgier.
                      2. The editing is better.
                      3. The storytelling is paced a bit more slowly.
                      4. They fix Gillian Anderson's wig.
                      5. Annabeth Gish to return to play Monica Reyes.
                      6. Robert Patrick to return to play John Doggett.
                      7. An episode where Mulder and Reyes work together on a case.
                      8. The return of other past characters such as Cigarette-Smoking Man, Marita Covarrubias, Jeffrey Spender, the Alien Bounty Hunter, Gibson Praise, Alvin Kersh etc.
                      9. Future comedy episodes shouldn't be so heavy handed with their humour as it had been in S10's Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster.
                      10. Maybe some sequels to past episodes.
                      11. If the characters of FBI Agents Einstein and Miller return, I'd like to see them handled better rather than just be younger copies of Scully and Mulder's characters that have been turned up to 11.

Comment

Hell, yeah!!!

Obviously this is excellent news. Having 10 episodes in Season 11 instead of the 6 that made up S10 will help the storytelling and character development enormously. Season 10 felt rushed and paced far too quickly with the stories it was trying to tell and I felt that often across the 45-minutes of every episode of S10.

My hopes for Season 11:
                        1. The tone is more like that of the first 3 seasons - darker and edgier.
                        2. The editing is better.
                        3. The storytelling is paced a bit more slowly.
                        4. They fix Gillian Anderson's wig.
                        5. Annabeth Gish to return to play Monica Reyes.
                        6. Robert Patrick to return to play John Doggett.
                        7. An episode where Mulder and Reyes work together on a case.
                        8. The return of other past characters such as Cigarette-Smoking Man, Marita Covarrubias, Jeffrey Spender, the Alien Bounty Hunter, Gibson Praise, Alvin Kersh etc.
                        9. Future comedy episodes shouldn't be so heavy handed with their humour as it had been in S10's Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster.
                        10. Maybe some sequels to past episodes.
                        11. If the characters of FBI Agents Einstein and Miller return, I'd like to see them handled better rather than just be younger copies of Scully and Mulder's characters that have been turned up to 11.
                        I agree with every item on your list, Alan, except for the humor one. I love Darin Morgan episodes in all of their brilliant insanity! But the rest of your list is spot-on and I hope they all come to pass in Season 11.

10 more episodes! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
                          Hell, yeah!!!

I agree with every item on your list, Alan, except for the humor one. I love Darin Morgan episodes in all of their brilliant insanity! But the rest of your list is spot-on and I hope they all come to pass in Season 11.

10 more episodes! Woo-hoo!
                          I love Darin Morgan's episodes too...except for the one he wrote for S10. Just OTT in my humble opinion.

Comment

I love Darin Morgan's episodes too...except for the one he wrote for S10. Just OTT in my humble opinion.
                            I can definitely understand that opinion. It strayed too far into parody for some people.

Comment

I just want another funny monster of the week episode.
                              sigpic
                              Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

I've never liked the funny episodes, they just feel too strange compared to the rest of the series.

Comment

Working...
                                X